Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1192826 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #325 on: February 07, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
Frasier is a spin off of Cheers right?
Dr. Frasier Krane or something like that?

I just watched an episode of Cheers last nite for the first time in a long time last nite since it was mentioned in this thread. Just as good now as it was then.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
Frasier is a spin off of Cheers right?
Dr. Frasier Krane or something like that?

I just watched an episode of Cheers last nite for the first time in a long time last nite since it was mentioned in this thread. Just as good now as it was then.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 10, 2010, 02:13:25 PM »
Reboot - 8/10 - This one's been on my replay list for a while now, and it was fun actually watching the whole series from start to finish for a change (rather than the somewhat random order I saw the episodes on Cartoon Network).  This really is a show of 2 worlds, though: the first 1 1/2 seasons, and then the rest of the show.  The former is episodic, cheesy, boring, formulaic, and frankly sporting pretty ugly CGI (even for that era).  I don't think it's a coincidence that the show dramatically improves about the same time as Mainframe started working on Beast Wars, that company's best show.  Thankfully, once the war with the Web gets underway, the show becomes quite enjoyable and the CGI much more pleasant.  I still think the best section of the show is that small window where Enzo is learning to be a guardian and mount what little defense he can against MegaByte, before getting sent off to the Web after losing in Mortal Kombat.  I really would have liked to see where that story would have gone, but instead what follows that section takes a long time to grow interesting; Enzo becomes nearly unlikeable; and the plot really drags.  Once the show gets its plot threads in order, though, everything comes to an epic and very satisfying conclusion that would unfortunately be utterly destroyed by the pointless Reboot "Season 4" "movies".

Looking over the show, I'm a little surprised that given the information age that there haven't been more series like this.  The show is rough and often seems to be more interested in cute homages and parodies than quality writing (and often the quality of the episode is directly related to the quality of whatever Game is in town, but it's still a very enjoyable series with a novel concept.  Supposedly, we have a trio of Reboot movies on the horizon that...well..."reboot" the franchise, but it's starting to look doubtful that we'll ever see those.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2010, 01:05:39 AM »
Survivors 9/10 Caught the premier on BBCA although that score means nothing. Not to be mistaken for Survivor the reality show. This is a British post apocalyptic post pandemic tv show about a couple of people that surved a deadly flu plague. Was pretty good, could become the next big thing.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #329 on: February 16, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »
I just got Weeds Season 5 and have gotten through the first 3 episodes. So far, not bad but definitely fails to live up to the first 3 seasons. Once they left Agrestic, the show hasn't been the same. Elizabeth Perkins' and Kevin Nealon's characters have both descended into near total triviality, Romany Malco's absence is sorely felt, and the suburban satire elements of the series are almost completely absent now. But Mary Louise Parker and Justin Kirk are still goddamn awesome actors and it's fun to see the kind of **** that Shane and Silas are getting into now. I'd give the first 3 seasons a 9/10 average and seasons 4 and 5 (so far) a 7/10.

EDIT: Why the hell is "s u b u r b a n" being changed to sUncleBob (is awesome!) (is awesome!)urban?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:59:08 PM by NWR_Grant_Buell »
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2010, 04:35:52 PM »
I just got Weeds Season 5 and have gotten through the first 3 episodes. So far, not bad but definitely fails to live up to the first 3 seasons. Once they left Agrestic, the show hasn't been the same. Elizabeth Perkins' and Kevin Nealon's characters have both descended into near total triviality, Romany Malco's absence is sorely felt, and the suburban satire elements of the series are almost completely absent now. But Mary Louise Parker and Justin Kirk are still goddamn awesome actors and it's fun to see the kind of **** that Shane and Silas are getting into now. I'd give the first 3 seasons a 9/10 average and seasons 4 and 5 (so far) a 7/10.

I agree. I might have even rated it the same way somewhere earlier in this thread, but I agree.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #331 on: February 20, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
I just finished Weeds season 5, the final scene is AMAZING. The last few episodes in general are really good. They've set up season 6 pretty nicely. Even the Celia/Doug/Dean/Isabel crew have some interesting potential now for season 6.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 20, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »
what happened at the end? I don't remember if I ever finished s5 or not.

please [spoiler] where necessary.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #333 on: February 20, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »
Shane bashes Pilar in the head with a croquet mallet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 20, 2010, 02:12:11 PM »
Yep. I've seen it.
It's been a while since the season ended. Do you know when next season starts?

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #335 on: February 20, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »
I'm not positive but I think around May. I don't have Showtime and I don't think they put Weeds episodes online, so I might have to find other means to catch the show... I don't really want to wait till the Season 6 DVD comes out this time.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 20, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »
I have showtime at my moms house but not where I stay and I know for a fact that I'm not waiting till DVD hits, so if I find a way to watch it without going to my mom's house, I'll let you know.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 23, 2010, 03:07:43 AM »
National Geographic Fight Science

Episode: Fight Like an Animal!

5/10 HORRENDUS! Take a look at the preview

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/fight-science/4323/Photos#tab-Videos/07717_00

I used to think Nat Geo was pure and true! Good god was I wrong!

First Glen Levy (yeah the guy who hit me with the devastating hammer fist) was representing Crane Wushu/Kungfu. He is a friend of mine and I love the guy, but trust me when I say he is NOT the guy who should be demonstrating that. It just looked really awful. And they barely talked about the combative techniques of the Crane. Terrible.

Li Jing of the Beijing wushu team was representing snake style. She knew what she was doing, but I wish she just composed herself differently during the tests if her hands were faster than the snakes. Plus she got picked over me and a few other guys in the next Star Wars video game so naturally I'm biased.

Tiger Guy was awesome, and what was said and done was great and spot on.

Wong Wei was the Mantis, dude is amazing! Also another friend of mine from China, who taught me many monkey techniques. His skill is top notch! But they had him literally catching flies like a mantis. They put him in a giant tank of hundreds of dirty flies too see if he could catch them. They gave all this sciency mumbo jumbo about how he caught 7 of them. LAME! Again nothing about how a Mantis guy would actually fight.

The monkey... ugh! This guy isn't even a Monkey Martial Artist, at least not as far as how they introduced him. He is a free runner who incorporated Monkey wushu into his movements! He is a blasted gymnast and they had him swinging on trusts like a monkey! That is absolutely not Monkey style! He did like 2 true monkey movements the entire time, and the rest was watching him flip and hang around like spider-man. You know what makes it worse?! I was auditioned by the producers to be the monkey on this episode, and obviously I was turned down. But it didn't matter to me because as far as monkey was concerned I felt there were people who were much better. BUT THIS GUY!? I bet not in a 100 years could he even explain how a monkey practitioner strikes!

NAT GEO really let me down with this one. I seriously have to think twice before I can trust something from them again.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 23, 2010, 11:06:59 AM »
I tend to not watch these kind of shows because they just seem like a circus act. I have respect for the martial artists, but the producers of this show have no respect for martial arts.

"Li Jing of the Beijing wushu team was representing snake style. She knew what she was doing, but I wish she just composed herself differently during the tests if her hands were faster than the snakes."

Would you be able to tell me if that Snake stance she used to strike the head can limit her striking speed? It just didn't seem that fast to me. I was watching some videos of Kendo, and some of the top guys in Japan had some mad striking speeds.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 23, 2010, 12:54:12 PM »
You know she was standing completely upright so I doubt her stance was limiting at all. But she is a bit past her prime, she is in her 30's now and not quite as fast as she used to be when she had to train on her team. I wouldn't doubt that she actually went faster than the snake if thats what the machines are saying, but there are much faster hands out there thats for sure. One thing I don't understand, is that they didn't measure the distance between the snake and the balloon. So how did they calculate the distance? Maybe i'm just remembering it wrong, but there was something that made me go "what a sec, how could they come to that when they didn't do this". Not sure though.

All I know is that fight like an Animal was a bunch of hogwash! I should of been the monkey consarnit!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #340 on: February 23, 2010, 01:05:22 PM »
I hate it when American Idol is on. It screws up House' schedule.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 24, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
So you guys know how I've been hyping up The Life and Times of Tim, right? Well another show came on right after it on Friday on HBO and it's called The Ricky Gervais Show. Both of them are cartoons and both of them are hysterical. You guys should do whatever you have to do to watch these shows. Seriously, they are the funniest shows on television and I'm a big fan of Tosh.O.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #342 on: February 24, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »
I watched both. Life & Times of Tim is always great. I was surprised at how much I ended up liking the Ricky Gervais Show, because it's basically a cartoon produced after-the-fact of Gervais' normal podcast, which I may have to subscribe to if it's free.

Who whole thing about the space monkey had me rolling on the floor.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 24, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »
yeah, that bit was hilarious.

his podcast is free by the way.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 24, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »
Well, I finally got around to watching the first 4 episodes of Caprica these last couple days (which, oddly enough, complement Heavy Rain very well), and although I generally liked the pilot episode I saw on DVD last year I'm really conflicted about this show.  On the one hand, it's well-acted and generally well-written, and I enjoy watching it and I want to see more of it.  On the other hand, calling this show's pacing "glacial" is an understatement.  Although there have been several interesting side plots explored thus far, there has been very little movement on the main story (which is cyber Zoe in the prototype Cylon).  I also have a general complaint about the setting: this is a futuristic society and is randomly advanced.  They have this virtual Ghost in the Shell-esque cyberspace with paper that can access the internet; space travel; and advanced robotics...but they drive 1950s cars and their buildings look modern at best.  This was an incongruity I had with Battlestar as well, but is a bigger issue here because you don't have the epic space battles and explosions to cover it up (besides, the Galactica was always supposed to be an ancient ship in the fleet with antiquated technology).  It's something that shouldn't bother me, but damn does it kill the immersion.  The world this show presents just doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:27:06 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #345 on: February 24, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »
Funny you should call it "glacial." I don't watch Caprica but I do watch Mad Men, and that's a similar situation. Luckily, the setting holds up in Mad Men.

Also, Christina Hendricks is in Mad Men.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 26, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
Supernatural - Season 3: Frickin' awesome.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »
Everybody Hates Chris - I love this damn show. I wish I watched it when it was new, but I was already juggling too many TV shows to fit in another. If only I had known. This show makes me think back to the behaviors of people in my family, especially when it comes to the things the mom would say. This show always has me LMAO. Do they still make new episodes?

Human Target - Did I mention how entertaining this show is? Just Watch it, it's based off some DC comic book or something. Always good action even on a TV show budget. Someone once described this show as Chuck minus all the romantic drama and "best Buy" stuff. pure SpyTV.

Burn Notice - Always a treat. Season 3 Finale is next week and it should be full of action.

Spartacus - This show is the best new show of the season. hands down. Sex, Violence, Nudity, Gore, Action and Drama all wrapped into a nice visual package with a good story so far. WATCH IT (if you have Starz or Netflix)!!!! It actually airs on Netflix before it airs on Starz. The last episode(#5 Shadow Games) had a huge build-up and an intense finale.
New episodes come Saturdays on Starz but ep6 is already up on Netflix as we speak.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 28, 2010, 12:58:04 AM »
Last night I was flipping around the channels and nothing was on. I came across HBO On Demand and watched The Life and Times of Tim because Stogi was talking it up in this thread. It is indeed a fantastic show. The On Demand channel only had about 6 episodes; I've got to find another way to watch the rest of them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 28, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »
Twin Peaks

1st half of the series:  4.5 stars
2nd half of the series:  3.0 stars

David Lynch's version of a soap opera.  What a fucked up show.  Very entertaining.  Loses its way after they solve Laura Palmer's death but it finds its way before the series wraps up.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!