Author Topic: Kirby's Adventure Review Mini  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Kirby's Adventure Review Mini
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »

Still the best Kirby game around.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewmini/34048

You can play Kirby’s Adventure a number of different ways: the original NES cart, the GBA remake (Nightmare in Dream Land), the Wii Virtual Console, the 3DS 3D Classic, in the Dream Collection, and now the Wii U Virtual Console. If you have access to any other version, the Wii U VC method may seem redundant, and I’m not going to disagree with that, but Kirby’s Adventure is one of my favorite NES games of all time, and I find myself beating the game every time I sit down with it (not in one sitting, mind you). The way I see it, you can’t have too many copies of this game. That determination is for you to make, but Kirby’s Adventure hasn’t aged a day.

Released in 1993, two years before Kirby’s Dream Land’s actual sequel, Adventure more or less revamped the core gameplay concepts. Oh sure, Kirby still inhaled enemies and floated over dangers, but now he could steal enemy’s powers and use those powers to find switches that, upon activation, would open up new places to visit. Kirby’s Adventure also introduced mini-games and bosses to fight after Dedede. In short, it modernized the Kirby series.It’s also gorgeous, with well-animated sprites, plenty of colorful environments and enemies, and charming character design. Kirby’s Adventure is an absolute joy to play, a pinnacle of easygoing platform game design. Aside from Super Mario Bros. 3, this might be the best side-scrolling platformer on the NES.

The Wii U version adds GamePad support, which is great if you want to play the game on the couch while your wife watches “New Girl,” and of course Miiverse support, where you can… look at lots of pictures of people drawing Kirby characters. Personally, I think the best version of Kirby’s Adventure is the excellent 3D Classic, but at the time of this writing, the Wii U version is selling for a bank-breaking thirty cents. I don’t care if you already have the game three other ways—BUY IT AGAIN. Regardless of price, this version of Kirby’s Adventure is still worth your time.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Kirby's Adventure Review Mini
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:22:38 PM »
i played 3d classics one and liked it better because no slow down but this original version is pretty fun too.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
Yeah, there's some pretty bad frame-rate issues when there's 2 or more enemies on screen. Which means the 3D Classics version is still the best version of this game.

Still, 30 freaking cents. And it's still an insanely fun game even with the frame-rate dips.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »
I thought it was an odd choice to make this one of the eight, considering the 3D Classic. I'd even have shied away from something like Balloon Fight, since it was already a promotional game, but Kirby's flat out better on 3DS. GamePad play especially is kind of worthless in this game for anyone who owns a 3DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »
Great game; not my favorite in the series, but great nonetheless. Extra awesome at thirty cents. I find it amusing that the old NES difficulty is even kind of present here.

Offline thedefalcos

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:35 AM »
It is a great game. It's one of those games where it makes you do a double take: Is that REALLY an NES game or an early SNES game?

Yet, there is one small quibble I have with it that takes it down a notch for me.  The up button. Why oh why did they map float to the up button?  This is the NES for crying out loud. Everyone, especially Nintendo (since they STATED Mario jump button was remapped to A after testing the up button first), knows you never map "jumps" to the up button.

Easy fix would've been to double tap A to float. So many lives lost, so many enemies left unsucked because I accidentally touched the corner of the D pad and floated instead of moved forward.