Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 409847 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Miiverse & TVii are Wii U's "Killer App"
« Reply #300 on: October 03, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »
http://allthingsd.com/20121002/nintendos-fils-aime-expects-wii-us-killer-app-to-be-social-networking/?refcat=news

“I think that it will pleasantly surprise people,” he said. “As the network grows and the installed base grows, it will prove to be a true killer application for the system, and I say this loving what we have done with Nintendo TVii and loving all the games. Until you try it and experience it, you may not totally understand it.”
[...]
“I compete against time on the PC, time watching TV, and time spent on social networks,” he said. “I already compete with all that stuff, and now you can do it in a new and engaging way.”
Specifically, Fils-Aime called attention to the Miiverse because he said there are no other social networks that are specifically built around gaming. Facebook is first a social network with games running on top of the platform, and other platforms, like Apple’s iPhone and iPad, have a Game Center, where game players can go to see high scores or interact with friends. Microsoft’s Xbox also allows players to become friends and chat about their game accomplishments, but Fils-Aime maintains the Miiverse is “a key differentiator compared to other companies in our space.”
[...]
The Miiverse at launch will be accessible only through the Wii U, but eventually it will be available using any Web-enabled device.
“People have to leave the current paradigm behind to understand what we are trying to do. Miiverse is going to be embedded right on the game platform, so literally some of the activity will be able to happen immediately as people experience it,” he said.
[...]
The GamePad will serve as a resource where consumers can look up additional information about what they are watching, which is commonly done today on phones or laptops. In additional, Nintendo will provide a timeline of screenshots based on what you are currently watching on TV. In a demonstration, Zach Fountain, who heads up TVii for Nintendo, showed me how a snapshot of a touchdown appears moments after it happened during a live game, or how scenes from “Modern Family” propagate the timeline as they happen, with the key moments selected by content curators. Users can comment on the moments, and then share the comments to Twitter or Facebook if they choose.
The service will take a lot of work behind the scenes since content curators will have to identify the bigger moments, write captions and create the polls.
Nintendo is closely collaborating with a company called i.TV to pull it off. Some technology will be used to make the process more automatic, but it will also take a lot of human interaction since it will be supported 24 hours a day.
The equivalent undertaking would be if Facebook were to hire content creators to write and post pictures to users’ walls based on their activities or interests. Fils-Aime said i.TV will be managing the TVii timeline, while Nintendo will be using both internal and external resources to monitor the Miiverse. The Miiverse and TVii are free to anyone who buys a console.

Because of the chatting capabilities across the whole system, Nintendo will be offering strict parental controls, so that parents can dictate how much they want their children to see. If children do have access to the Miiverse, “we’ll be leveraging technology, the community and our own reviewers to determine what’s appropriate for the masses,” Fils-Aime said. “What Miiverse is doing is quite different from anything else that’s being done, especially with the ability to hand draw messages and things of that nature.”

That's a large chunk of the article, but there is more to read at the link.

To sum it all up;
Miiverse is it's own gaming focused social network and that includes the TVii service.
The TVii service is a 24hour social interaction experience and is free of charge to all who own a Wii U.
Parental Controls will be the major determining factor censorship of the service, but there are other safety measures at work too. I doubt there is a censorship free setting.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #301 on: October 03, 2012, 01:46:23 PM »
Man this Miiverse is hyping me up! This is the feature that has me completely sold!

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 03, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »
Miiverse, to me, still sounds like "unavoidable spoilers: the feature".

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 03, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
You can get that on a regular message board. Darth Vader is Luke's father. See?

I imagine you can turn Miiverse off.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 05, 2012, 01:16:58 AM »
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate screens
http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/10/04/monster-hunter-3-looks-impressive-on-wii-u/

I always meant to buy the Wii version.... these screens just prompted me to pre-order the HD version instead.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 05, 2012, 01:35:04 AM »
The game sure does look pretty in HD. I had a hard time getting into the game on the Wii (though I bought it mostly for my brother) so it's a pass for me.

I am crossing my fingers that Sega will port Phantasy Star Online 2 to Wii U. The GamePad is perfect for that game.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 05, 2012, 01:41:14 AM »
I want PSO 2 for Vita to come to North America, but a Wii U version that could be played entirely on the GamePad would be even better. Have they said whether Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate can be played just on the controller?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 05, 2012, 01:49:12 AM »
I haven't read anything and details seem scarce. I've only seen this pic of someone playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

I would imagine that you can play it just on the GamePad. That would be an extremely odd choice if you couldn't. If it's basically just the 3DS game, then maybe not.

And I can't be bothered with the Vita version of PSO2 because I don't have one. The iOS version is just... no. I'm really, really hoping for a Wii U version and that it's cross-platform (or partially cross-platform) with PC like the Vita version.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:05:18 AM by Adrock »

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 05, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »
Except Miiverse public messages are moderated by Nintendo. Your messages are only displayed when its approved.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »
I want PSO 2 for Vita to come to North America, but a Wii U version that could be played entirely on the GamePad would be even better. Have they said whether Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate can be played just on the controller?
I can't remember the source but I have read somewhere that Capcom has stated that tentatively there will be the ability to play on just the gamepad.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 05, 2012, 11:39:04 AM »
Except Miiverse public messages are moderated by Nintendo. Your messages are only displayed when its approved.

Thats only if the messages are flagged/reported.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 05, 2012, 12:01:51 PM »
It's true, your messages will go out instantly but if the community flags it, it will go down and then have to wait up to 30 min to be approves by Nintendo.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 05, 2012, 12:03:56 PM »
Last I heard that anything that was going beyond your circle of friends was curated by Nintendo.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 05, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »

Nintendo once sent an email about Wind Waker that revealed the details of the last boss fight in the email and this came out before the game was released.  Companies don't know what a spoiler is.  What we think of as a spoiler is just information that helps promote the game in their mind.  Plus while they might be good at keeping ending spoilers from being posted they specifically want people to share tips and tricks.  So if you get something like "to beat Psycho Mantis plug your controller in the player two slot" that's both a spoiler and a protip.  Unsolicited gameplay advice is a spoiler and that's the whole fucking point of the feature - everyone blabbing about the games they're playing.  I want to go in as fresh as I can and only seek out further information by choice.  So I either have the turn the feature off or close my eyes as I load games up to avoid reading something.

I don't even look at the threads for new games on this forum.  Like I've haven't gone into the Xenoblade thread since the game came out because I haven't beaten it yet and I figure looking at that thread will blow a whole bunch of stuff.  But at I can still look at this forum fairly safely while just ignoring a few threads.  The Miiverse sounds like you load it up and the posts come at you from all angles.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 05, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate screens
http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/10/04/monster-hunter-3-looks-impressive-on-wii-u/

I always meant to buy the Wii version.... these screens just prompted me to pre-order the HD version instead.

Seriously? It doesn't look that good to me. It looks like Tri running at 1080p from an emulator.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 05, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »
Seriously? It doesn't look that good to me. It looks like Tri running at 1080p from an emulator.
The wireframe models looked like they were ripped straight from the 3DS version. Seeing as how the 3DS and Wii U versions are essentially the same game they would need the same models to maintain the same hitbox detection. The textures have improved dramatically in some areas, if you can find a screen of a Rathalos you'll know what I mean. As far as I can tell the game is actually being rendered in 1080p its no upscale.

Still this is Capcom and I expect plenty of corner cutting from them. I still remember their Resident Evil 4 HD version which was basically a retexture of old RE4.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 05, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
@ian, Nintendo confirmed you can turn off MiiVerse features.
Christ, you'll bitch about anything.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Shin'en Praise Wii U
« Reply #317 on: October 08, 2012, 02:20:41 AM »
Manfred Linzner (CEO at Shin'en Multimedia): has some praise for Nintendo's Wii U
http://www.ntower.de/index.php?page=Report&reportID=190
ML: Well, right now, the Wii U is the strongest console with a lot of potential for the future. You should not forget, that the Wii U GPU is from a different generation than the ones from the current competitors. Because of that, there are many new ways of approaching things. Which, on the one side, are easier to implement than special hybrid solutions that are currently used on the other consoles, and on the other hand, which brings with it a much better performance. In cooperation with the generous working storage you have unbelievable possibilities. You should not forget that you need developers who can actually max out the potential of a console. And with teams like Retro Studios and EAD, Nintendo has an unbeatable advantage.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2012, 02:36:39 AM »
ML: Well, right now, the Wii U is the strongest console with a lot of potential for the future. You should not forget, that the Wii U GPU is from a different generation than the ones from the current competitors. Because of that, there are many new ways of approaching things. Which, on the one side, are easier to implement than special hybrid solutions that are currently used on the other consoles, and on the other hand, which brings with it a much better performance. In cooperation with the generous working storage you have unbelievable possibilities. You should not forget that you need developers who can actually max out the potential of a console. And with teams like Retro Studios and EAD, Nintendo has an unbeatable advantage

Yet another commentator who doesn't seem to get that the PS360 are on their last legs and won't be the Wii U's real competition. This is like if back in like 2006 someone pointed out how the Wii was more powerful than the PS2, which was certainly true, but...
is your sanity...

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2012, 03:41:44 AM »
Well I like to think BlackNmild posted that since there is still this belief going around that the WiiU isn't even on par with the PS360.  This is just more evidence to hopefully put to rest these discussions of "The WiiU is not even stronger than the PS3" and "the WiiU is the Wii all over again". 

From everything I've read on various forums among people supposdly "in the know"  the WiiU will not be outclassed by the PS4 and 720 as the Wii was by the PS360.  The easiest comparision I've heard that can get the point across is that the WiiU will be a low-mid end gaming PC whereas the PS720 will be a high end gaming PC.  The WiiU will be able to play everything on the PS720 but will probably have to do it with a few minor bells and wistles downgraded or removed, probably at a lower res, and maybe a lower framerate as a last resort I would assume. 

Having just recently upgrading my 5 yr old mid end graphics card (DX 10 compliance) for a mid end card from this generation (DX 11) and maxing out the graphics settings on my current PC games, I can say the increase in performance is nice but nothing too drastic.  I'm sure thats the same thing I'll be seeing when comparing WiiU games to PS720 games. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:47:10 AM by Mannypon »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2012, 03:57:49 AM »
Is Wii U even DX11 complaint?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 08, 2012, 04:13:43 AM »
Is Wii U even DX11 complaint?

DX 11 is a MS owned thing, so no, Wii U isn't DX11 compliant. But the Wii U has many DX11 features as the GPU is very much modern architecture.
Well I like to think BlackNMild posted that since there is still this belief going around that the WiiU isn't even on par with the PS360.  This is just more evidence to hopefully put to rest these discussions of "The WiiU is not even stronger than the PS3" and "the WiiU is the Wii all over again".

Anyone that still thinks Wii U is graphically only capable of PS360 graphics (or barely slightly better) obviously hasn't been paying attention. The first gen games are already looking better on average, and these are the games developed without knowing what their end target even was. the 2nd and 3rd gen games are the ones that will truly show off what the Wii U is capable of, so yes, part of the reason I posted this was just more evidence that Wii U will outperform PS360.

And from what I've heard, in side convo with people supposedly "in the know" is the same as what you heard. Target specs aside, ending results will not be as far a separation as fanboys would like.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 08, 2012, 04:14:37 AM »
Well DX as far as I understand it, and please those more knowledgeable chime in, DX compliance only applies to PCs as its a property of Microsoft.  From everything I've read regarding the WiiU and its rumors, it can be argued either way.  Some people have said it has DX 11 equivalent features whereas others claim it to only be 10.1.  Others have said it supports some of the equivalent features but not all.  I don't think we'll know until someone opens up an actual WiiU and sees whats inside. 

I think all this is being made to be more than it should.  I don't really think it'll matter much if its 10.1 or 11, games will look good on it as long as developers put in the effort.  If games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed 3 can be done on such old hardware such as whats used in the PS360 (which are equivalent to DX9 I believe, don't quote me though) then how much better can games actually look.  They look amazing now and if that's what the WiiU can do AT A MINIMUM then I'm fine with that and I'm sure everyone else will be.

If a new Zelda gets released and looks amazing, who in their right minds will care if its running on DX 10 or 11 equivalent hardware?  Only fanboys who want to compare spec sheets will care.  The majority of gamers won't be able to tell the difference IMO. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 08, 2012, 04:31:23 AM »
From what I've heard, it's closer to DX10.75 feature equivalent

fully DX10.1 equivalent with some DX11 features also included.

I'm not a real techie, so I can't go into or recall all the details, but that's basically what it boiled down to.

Offline ResettisCousin

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 08, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
ML: Well, right now, the Wii U is the strongest console with a lot of potential for the future. You should not forget, that the Wii U GPU is from a different generation than the ones from the current competitors. Because of that, there are many new ways of approaching things. Which, on the one side, are easier to implement than special hybrid solutions that are currently used on the other consoles, and on the other hand, which brings with it a much better performance. In cooperation with the generous working storage you have unbelievable possibilities. You should not forget that you need developers who can actually max out the potential of a console. And with teams like Retro Studios and EAD, Nintendo has an unbeatable advantage

Yet another commentator who doesn't seem to get that the PS360 are on their last legs and won't be the Wii U's real competition. This is like if back in like 2006 someone pointed out how the Wii was more powerful than the PS2, which was certainly true, but...

Actually he seems to understand that precise point, and is couching his phrase in a way that is accurate and not going to upset any company in particular. Otherwise he would have left out the word current more than once.