Author Topic: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)  (Read 269333 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)
« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2018, 07:07:55 PM »
If it even helped in allowing villains to be calm and more manageable it would be worth it.  We are talking about a prison that houses some seriously powerful criminals.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 05, 2018, 09:50:36 PM »
https://youtu.be/ZmqJJqFX_CU

Ya know, I'm surprised I'm saying it, but this Aquaman is starting to look appealing. The leads have good chemistry and they gave him his suit!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 06, 2018, 03:07:13 AM »
I am thinking why give him a suit in the first place(toys). Just because he is a super doesn’t mean he has to have a suit, he is ripped enough to go without. The suit would ruin one  of his assets.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 06, 2018, 04:15:56 AM »
Is he just ascending to full hero status though?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 08, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »
The new trailer actually makes the movie look pretty interesting and fun.
Looks like DC may have another Wonder Woman situation here... not imagine if they took the time to establish all these character before letting Zach Snyder ruin them?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 09, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »
CW's Batwoman leaked

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #531 on: October 09, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
That BatWoman Costume is actually pretty good.  I like it a lot.  The Red in the cape and the length of the cape work.  The Utility Belt looks a little small unfortunately.  I think this is a problem with many Batman costumes.  You either have to go super high tech with the gadgets or have a realistically sized Utility Belt.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #532 on: October 09, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »
Looks like DC may have another Wonder Woman situation here... not imagine if they took the time to establish all these character before letting Zach Snyder ruin them?

I actually still believe going straight to a Justice League movie first wouldn't have been a problem IF they decided to make the Justice League right and get the characters done right.  I think it would have been perfectly fine to establish a movie where a world threat brings all the heroes in the DC world together...and they already kinda knew each other existed but this brought them together.  Then with an established world creating stories and series that brought the world to that place in time could be interesting. 

So there could be mystery with the characters.  Why is Batman seemingly willing to kill now and is a broken hero in said fictional Justice League.  Then you get a movie that explores the loss of Batman's first Robin rejecting his methods for being too harsh all the while training a new Robin more gently.  Only to have this new approach end tragically with said Robin being killed.  tragically dark story would work perfect for Batman.  Heck DC could have released a good Justice League movie first and then done these semi-origin stories, not telling the characters origins just how they got to that point in the story for a year or 2.  Then release the sequel to Justice League that plays off all that.  Justice League, Batman, Superman First year.  Then Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash (doing a story that ties into that first Justice League movie that ends on a cliffhanger like flashpoint.  Then Justice League parts 2 and 3 same year as a sorta screw you Marvel.  We did it in 3 years time. 

All the while since the extended DC universe was set up with DCU writers could play with any characters from the DC universe they want.  Want to have Superman trying to council Batman during his loss but Bruce isn't having any of it go ahead.  Want to have Bruce already engaged romantically with Cat Woman, why not?  Let the universe live and breath...you don't have to explain everything as long as what is presented seems logical to the fans.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #533 on: October 09, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
I agree with that in theory, having a living, breathing world that already exists and exploring that world later is a pretty good approach, as long as they commit to exploring that world and its origins.  BvS hinted at a couple things that fueled fan theories, but it never seemed like anything was going to be dived into except for the thing forcibly wedged in there to hype Justice League.

Some of the choices in that universe merit explanation (especially Batman being a killer).  But I worry that if the world is too rich with history, you could end up spending more time going over it than telling a new story.

Catching up on the thread: I really like the Batwoman suit.  Also, the Aquaman movie is looking better and better.  I am 100% in favor of the orange and green suit.  That really makes it for me, and the trailer makes it seem like the outfit has some significance.  I think they were trying to do something similar with Superman's outfit in Man of Steel, but they fumbled it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 09, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »
That BatWoman Costume is actually pretty good.

Needs more batnipples.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 09, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
That BatWoman Costume is actually pretty good.  I like it a lot.  The Red in the cape and the length of the cape work.  The Utility Belt looks a little small unfortunately.  I think this is a problem with many Batman costumes.  You either have to go super high tech with the gadgets or have a realistically sized Utility Belt.

One of my first thoughts right after I posted the pic (which is Official now BTW, it was a leaked promo pic) was that there wasn't enough pockets on her utility belt. But we'll just assume they are around the sides and back, hidden by the cape when she endlessly pulls out gadgets, tools, trinkets, and weapons from somewhere on her waistline area.

I actually still believe going straight to a Justice League movie first wouldn't have been a problem IF they decided to make the Justice League right and get the characters done right.  I think it would have been perfectly fine to establish a movie where a world threat brings all the heroes in the DC world together...and they already kinda knew each other existed but this brought them together.  Then with an established world creating stories and series that brought the world to that place in time could be interesting.

I don't have an issue with them going for Justice League early on and then fleshing out characters later, so much as I have an issue with them rushing to Justice League w/o a real narrative outline in place as to why (other than to beat Marvel to the punch even though DC was super later the party Marvel started). It's like you said... "If they did Justice League right"

IMO BvS was just terrible (say what you want about the extended version, but I have not and probably never will watch it) and at some point long before the editing room, someone at DC/WB should have seen the issue with the Snyder vision of these long established characters and immediately course corrected.
I know that didn't work out so well in the middle of JL, but that's because it should have happened in the middle of BvS instead.
The page they should have taken out of the Marvel playbook, is even if you have to reinvent the character for the bigscreen, don't be afraid to embrace root of their comic origins.

But we have WW, and maybe soon Aquaman.
Maybe The Joker turns out pretty good (Leto Joker was just an embarrassment)
I'm not sure what's up with The Batman, Gotham City Sirens, SS2, The Flash, Lantern Corps, or whatever else they have planned... it all just sounds like flinging **** at the wall, or them taking a bunch of individual movies and forcing them to be connected in post when they have no singular vision for how they should be connected.

I'm really hoping that now that they restructured, if they really want to do this #itsallconnected thing again, that they go with a soft-reboot. Install a comic guy at the top who understands the characters, then flesh out an wide broad direction they want to go, then use their full catalog characters to create the movies they need to get there.

I would personally be happy if they did a live action Justice League the animated series/BTAS/STAS in style, and then fleshed out with individual stories for each hero in their own little pocket city/country/sea/planet/dimension, before coming back together to face world ending/inter-galactic threats.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 09, 2018, 04:32:49 PM »
Man of Steel came out in 2013....but when did production start on that movie? I'm pretty sure development started in 2009, filming was in 2011, and release was 2013. So that is a long time. BvS was 2016...three years later.  Justice League was 2017, Wonder Woman was 2017. They started off really slow.

James Gunn to take over Suicide Squad. A movie about a team of misfits...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #537 on: October 09, 2018, 06:52:40 PM »
Yes my approach needed a strong visionary that could direct the story and world.  Justice League was a mess and it is really sad.  BvS was a mess.  Personally, I think they should have went all out and done a 3 movie trilogy about Darksied and not use such a horrible second tier character in the beginning.

But the real problem about the DC characters is they are tonally wrong.  The DC universe more than Marvel is about archetypes. Each character has a theme and represents something.  The DC movies for example said Superman represents hope, but didn't show him being hopeful or inspiring hope.  This is just bad design. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #538 on: October 09, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
Man, James Gunn gets comic book movies.  IF he loved a series from DC, I would give him control of the world.  Heck...if he was available, and willing, I would sit him down with Kevin Smith and a few other writers and have them set out a grand narrative for the entire DC cinematic world.  Bruce Timm, James Gunn, Kevin Smith would be a dream team that "gets" what and who the DC characters are and how to represent them well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 09, 2018, 07:43:07 PM »
new Joker pictures shows his suit color is more in line with Cesar Romero's Joker. When you account for film filters it'll probably look a lot different on camera.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 10, 2018, 06:00:22 AM »
But the real problem about the DC characters is they are tonally wrong.  The DC universe more than Marvel is about archetypes. Each character has a theme and represents something.  The DC movies for example said Superman represents hope, but didn't show him being hopeful or inspiring hope.  This is just bad design. 

This is basically what I meant when I said that they need to embrace the characters origins.
They don't respect the characters from a design perspective, and this is why MoS, BvS and JL don't work as a trilogy or even individual movies that connect to each other.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 23, 2018, 01:16:47 AM »
Guess WHO and from WHERE!!!? #nocontextprovided

I'm gonna have to see how they handle this one.... I'm not feelin' it at all.

edit:

and WTF is happening in the Arrowverse!?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:22:11 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 23, 2018, 02:20:16 AM »
Amell looks so stupid in that Flash outfit.  He could have at least shaved.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 23, 2018, 04:23:10 AM »
Hahaha! I like it because it is kind of silly. Ah. So that's how they're working the whole Batwoman appearance. By doing an Elseworlds kind of thing. As for the first pic, I'm not sure who that is. Based on the mask sort of reminding me of Bane's in The Dark Knight Rises, I guess I'll go with Bane. Maybe he is the villain for this Elseworlds things with Batwoman. Otherwise, maybe it's a Wonder Woman 2 thing I'm unaware of.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 23, 2018, 06:02:41 AM »
MHHHFFPPPHMMMMMfyHTUG

That looks way too busy no matter the character. Even the Terminator didn't look at busy. What does all that even do? Some muffling aside Nolan Bane(Assuming) was hardcore, built like a brick house, pure muscle.

DC really needs to forget about Nolan. That was 3 lightning in a bottle and never meant to be expanded into a larger universe with people who could fly. Nor was Nolan ever grim darkest. As much as I would love to have a Nolan Robin film you would need a Nolan or better director who isn't lazy and there aren't many of them especially with Superheroes where it is so tempting just to CGI everything.

At least we are still getting good cartoons.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 23, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »
The first pic is of BANE, you guys guessed that right.
But, what DC TV Show/Movie is it from?

As for Elseworlds.... I don't know what that is, looks like a reality swap situation?
they should have had them beard swap too though. It can't take Ollie more than week to grow that back.

p.s. the new Flash costume looks pretty bad....
https://i.redd.it/6r4ktv3kktt11.jpg

and an Elseworlds spoiler as well, because why not. I wasn't gonna watch anyway.
https://i.redd.it/69acmh8o4tt11.jpg

actual spoiler
https://i.redd.it/ymny7d0x2vt11.jpg
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:01:38 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 23, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
The first pic is of BANE, you guys guessed that right.
But, what DC TV Show/Movie is it from?

As for Elseworlds.... I don't know what that is, looks like a reality swap situation?
they should have had them beard swap too though. It can't take Ollie more than week to grow that back.

p.s. the new Flash costume looks pretty bad....
https://i.redd.it/6r4ktv3kktt11.jpg

and an Elseworlds spoiler as well, because why not. I wasn't gonna watch anyway.
https://i.redd.it/69acmh8o4tt11.jpg

actual spoiler
https://i.redd.it/ymny7d0x2vt11.jpg

Wait...is that the Flash costume from the 90s series, the one that Barry's father; Mark Hammil; etc. were originally in?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 23, 2018, 03:19:10 PM »
The pic of Bane is from the final Gotham series. 

And yeah, the Flash suit is a bit weird but it looks like Mr Shipp is back in his previous Flash outfit too.  While I bailed from that whole universe two seasons ago I will actually be watching this crossover.  Since they're usually self contained stories I will hopefully not miss much from not seeing the other episodes. I'm curious to see how Batwoman goes and what happens with this crossover.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 23, 2018, 03:24:14 PM »
Oohhboy's Robin comment just reminded me that there is some Titans show that's supposed to be coming soon to DC's streaming service so I'm going to go with that. EDIT: Shorty posted his message just before this one. Reading it, I forgot about the Gotham series since I haven't watched it all. So, that makes the most sense for a Bane appearance. I concede to Shorty in the guesswork of where this Bane belongs.

That Flash costume does look a lot like the one worn in the 90's Flash. Just more of the meta referencing to that earlier show, I suppose.

That said, I am not a fan of the new Flash suit this year. Maybe it is the shade of red or the plastic look to it but something about it just distracts me when I see it.

The spoilers BnM posted have got me more interested in this crossover event. At this point, the only thing I was really excited about was that it was going to include Superman and Lois Lane for the event but now it looks like they will be getting into the mythology of the multiverse a bit. At this point, can't trust that the writers won't bungle it a bit but I like that it feels a bit more lowkey compared to their past crossover events.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:26:14 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 23, 2018, 03:49:00 PM »
I just saw that this Bane is confirmed for Gotham on The A.V. Club. One of the comments posted this video I've always loved of Bane Rapping. Chances are BnM has seen it already since it is made by the same people who did the Star Wars Jedi Party / Laser Moon edits. Which reminds me. They finally released Episode 6. I need to see how that story ends.

Anyways, if you haven't seen it before, I think it is worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFAXvFYhsE

It's because I'm BaaaAAAaannneee.