Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186497 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4500 on: September 15, 2018, 09:41:11 PM »
Watching last Season's Arrowverse up to the big 4-show Earth X crossover event. I originally bailed on these shows last year after their first episodes because 3 of the 4 completely cheated their previous season finales.

Watching them now, so far I think it's safe to say that Arrow needs to end. This season feels so played-out, so lacking in inspiration. I don't know how it's going to differentiate itself once Batwoman also enters the picture and basically does the exact same show.

Flash feels like it's getting back to the more playful, light-hearted romp it used to be, so I'm happy with where it's going so far.

Legends of Tomorrow feels really inconsistent this season, but like the Flash it still remembers that it started as a fun adventure series and it seems to be toe-ing that line so far. With the return of foes from other shows, it also feels like the show where the most is happening right now.

Supergirl is still fucking intolerable. I gave the first season a pass because it was pretty even-handed with its politics and it eventually grew into its own a bit, but Season 2 is when the show started leaning heavily on the writers' personal politics and Season 3 is going all the way with that. The show constantly makes Trump references, which makes NO sense considering the Supergirl president is an Open Borders woman and Trump doesn't seem to exist at all.  Pretty much every white man is either useless or evil, assuming a man is even on-screen at all (which is rare outside the main cast).  I'm still enduring the first 7 episodes of that show, but so far it feels just as terrible as ever. Ironically, it's also the only Arrowverse show that didn't immediately brush off the events of the previous season.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:42:52 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: September 15, 2018, 11:53:04 PM »
Hmm, yeah I am not feeling any of whatever you got there about Supergirl and I get pretty pissed off about that especially when it leads to bad stories. It does a couple of drive-by stabs/jokes but no biggy.

The only thing that is going to bite them in the ass is (near season 3 end)Hank getting rid of their lethal weapons... Both in show and story writing room, its a very wtf trap they have written themselves into poorly. Being the DEO, they aren't the constabulary in the UK where the harshest thing they will encounter is bad accents and the occasional knife where a hello usually de-escalates a situation. They are the local Alien SWAT team/dog catcher, right tools for the job, keeping your options open and all that.

The real problem they have is of weapons security as in they have none and the worse base ever. It feels like every other episode someone would invade the place, usually coming through the giant window in the command centre. Their armouries as no locks, at all. All classes of terrestrial weapons can be found in any of the weapon closets non-partitioned. Everybody and their literal mom walks in and takes a gun. It's an unintentional running joke like it's easir counting who doesn't know who SG/kara is.

Really good super fights that put movies to shame. Having to be concise has done wonders.

Next season (4) will be very telling.

LoT had Obama where they play as a nod, a place of wisdom the characters go to and a joke. Holy **** that Obama care joke had me rolling. Part of it is likely they have better writers with a very loose premise they can play with.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: September 16, 2018, 06:12:38 AM »
Supergirl is expected to go more "topical events" for season 4, so i would suggest bailing anyway. The gun control episode in Arrow and Supergirl's constant political jabs take me out of the mood of the show. I wanted to devote more time to games so im dropping Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Blindspot and not picking up any new ones this season.

Legends is goofy but it openly leans into the goofyness, so some inconsistency is expected. But i have laughed more at the characters and their antics (Mick constantly trying to give Zari a hotdog and not understanding that she doesn't for religious reasons) than with Arrow's characters being inconsistent because the writers deliberately wanted us to sympathise with "New Team Arrow" (which backfired because their behaviour of all three was horrible and childish and caused a lot of the problems themselves).

Fortunately, Black Lightning has a different visual style, filming location and the cast has fantastic chemistry. Jefferson and Lynn have better chemistry as a divorced couple than Oliver/Felicity and Barry/Iris and had only 13 episodes to develop that in. In a way i'm glad BL is it's own show, i'd hate to see how they would try to make that fit into the tone of the Arrowverse.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:15:01 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: September 16, 2018, 08:30:23 AM »
The gun control episode was really stupid and it completely went out of it's way no matter how little sense(none) it made within the show. I was instantly WTF dude, way to completely miss identify the problem. They are going to have to make a forced back pedal and it wasn't like they were shoot first, shoot second, shoot some more and don't bother asking any questions. If anything they were very professional non-American cops.

Everything else didn't move the meter as it was integrated into the story or were passing jabs that were a little funny.

I didn't watch Arrow and Flash as they didn't feel interesting, loaded with fake drama/angst. I like Supergirl as it is cheerful, brightly lit, quite decent action which got better over time, being female centric was interestingly different and it didn't hurt the story.

Legends doesn't care as long as it is funny, within character and the show. They have taken shots at everyone in good humour.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: September 16, 2018, 09:39:32 AM »
Strangely, the gun control episode of Arrow didn't really bother me, as it felt like it tried to show both sides of the issue, and in the end the message wasn't so much "guns are evil and should be banned" as "guns are dangerous and people need to take care of them better." It also led to a very good story beat for Mad Dog.

I was much more bothered by scenes in Supergirl like Maggie's father ranting about how the world hasn't changed because "THEY'RE BUILDING A WALL TO KEEP [MEXICANS] OUT!", a rant that not only brought me out of the show, but also doesn't make sense because Trump isn't the president in the Supergirl universe. They had a whole episode the previous season about their president offering amnesty to literal illegal aliens.

I shouldn't have a better understanding of the Supergirl universe than the writers.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: September 16, 2018, 04:03:23 PM »
Yeah, OK the Crisis on Earth X Crossover miniseries event was much better and more cinematic than the previous year's Dominator crossover event. For one thing, there were actual personal stakes this time, not to mention more than generic aliens for the teams to fight.  It also had a fantastic send-off for a particular character that felt earned & not cheap.

Could've done without the Supergirl writers jumping in & adding some meta political commentary with the crew fighting Nazis ("Punching Nazis felt just as good as I felt it would!"), but it wasn't that noticeable and overall the miniseries was quite enjoyable.

I also love that the writers found an excuse to bring Snart back, as he was one of my favorite Flash characters.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: September 16, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
They were literal nazis from a parallel Earth...

The Dominator crossover was trash, a complete waste of time.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: September 17, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »
Oh, so apparently the reason that Kid Flash completely vanished from The Flash after he returned from his "finding himself" journey was that he joined the Legends. You know, it would have been nice if this was actually established IN the Flash itself, rather than the writers just assuming that everyone's simultaneously up to date on every other Arrowverse show.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: September 17, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
I swear there was a throw-away line that "Wally is with the Legends..." or some such.  I'm so burnt out on the DC shows, they're just background noise now.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: September 17, 2018, 06:12:09 PM »
I swear there was a throw-away line that "Wally is with the Legends..." or some such.  I'm so burnt out on the DC shows, they're just background noise now.

Yeah, I get being burnt out on the Arrowverse. That's where I was last year. That's why I took a year off & am only now catching up on it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: September 17, 2018, 07:06:08 PM »
Someone at Warner Bros. thought the Council of Stereotypes...err.. "Council of Wells" was not only a funny gag, but so hilarious that they needed to do it 5 times to pad out various episodes of Flash Season 4.

That person presumably still has a job.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: September 17, 2018, 08:30:04 PM »
Well, part of that is the "comedy" stylings of the writers but I think that's also partly on Tom Kavenaugh. When I was catching up on the Arrowverse after taking a break two years ago, my library happened to have the DVD's of these shows so I decided to catch up again since it had been awhile and the absence and break had helped me get enthused about them again. On the Flash Season 3 DVD extras, they showed a panel they did at Comic-con talking about the upcoming Season 3 at that time and Tom mentioned that he was playing a third Harrison Wells and how he liked getting to play all these alternate versions of a character. He made a line that was a bit of joke but maybe he was semi-serious or the writers decided to take him up on it but he said something about possibly getting to play 100 versions of Wells before the series is over. When seeing the Council of Wells, I couldn't help but recall that remark and wonder if that was his or the writers way of trying to meet that challenge and speed through some various versions to get him to that point. I kind of think it is done to keep Cavenaugh interested in sticking around with the series. Actors do like the chance to play around with different accents and maybe even ham it up a bit on occasion.

I think of Orphan Black and how happy Tatiana Maslany would be when talking about how the show let her play all these different characters and roles and you don't often get the chance to do that in most shows or movies.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: September 17, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »
Finished Flash Season 4. Overall, I thought it was an excellent season. DeVoe was a suitably menacing villain without repeating what the show had already done, and I LOVED having the Elongated Man on this show. He brought a nice energy & playfulness to the show that it's been sorely lacking. I don't really understand why people apparently don't like this season.

I will ask this, though: by FAR the strongest power that DeVoe had was the luck power, and yet he almost never uses it once he has it. I realize you have to give the heroes a fighting chance in a show like this, but every encounter with him should just be over the moment he turns the luck power on. It seems really contrived that they decided his favorite power would pretty much be using the gravity power to force choke people.

I think I'll jump back to streaming the rest of Legends Season 3 now. Not in the mood for yet more Arrow angst just yet.

EDIT: OH YEAH...I chose wisely. "Beebo the God of War" has me in stitches with the sheer absurdity of it all.

EDIT 2: CONSTANTINE! *squee*
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:34:51 PM by broodwars »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: September 17, 2018, 11:01:16 PM »
I love Darvill/Rip Hunter. He is such an asshole, but the asshole you want and need on your side.... Ava Sharpe is amazing. God damn it Rip, you're one piece of work.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: September 18, 2018, 12:31:20 AM »
I love Darvill/Rip Hunter. He is such an asshole, but the asshole you want and need on your side.... Ava Sharpe is amazing. God damn it Rip, you're one piece of work.

Look, I like Rip but let's get real here...the real star of the show in Legends of Tomorrow is Neal McDonough as Damian Darhk. The dude just gleefully devours the scenery around him & is clearly having the time of his life.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4515 on: September 18, 2018, 04:57:41 AM »
Nah, that's just McDonough playing his type, when you hire him that's what you get. Unlike usual he is in a good show with good dialogue. I mean, seriously Legend of Chun Li.

Darvill absolutely sells how much of a bastard he is with that intensity. Not only that he plays different versions of himself convincingly.

That said I love the Legion of losers Doom, the interaction between them far exceed McDonough ham.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: September 25, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »
Finished Season 3 of Legends of Tomorrow. Meh, sadly. This was a really inconsistent season, ending in a finale that was REALLY boring outside of THAT moment. It was also incredibly lame to see this season-long plotline basically end with the Legends summoning Captain Planet (go on, tell me that's not what the summoning sequence looked like).

There were some fantastic comedic moments throughout the season (I LOVE how they paid off that LOTR gag in "Guest Starring John Noble") & I loved getting Damian Darhk back. The show just doesn't seem to know how to stick the landing, and there are multiple characters on the show they just have no idea what to do with. It'll be nice to see the cast get a shake-up this coming season with the full addition of Constantine.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: October 11, 2018, 01:54:31 AM »
So I watched through a show called W.I.T.C.H. that was around on Disney for a bit something like a decade ago. It's based off an Italian comic series of the same name (although it takes a lot of creative liberties instead of just being a direct TV adaptation and most of them pay off.)

It's a magical girl show (although it rarely feels too much like one.) that has a really strong cast of characters (along with a heavy focus on developing those characters) and excellent writing. The first season suffers a bit from a rather mediocre villain, a lack of any real stakes until the Elyon plot gets going, and relying too much on monster of the day plots. It feels like they waited about half a season for Elyon to get to Meridian so the show can start getting really interesting. The season 1 finale feels a bit rushed as well but overall it's really strong. This is a show that really has a lot going for it.

For season 2 they ironed out all of season 1's flaws and went all in on telling a single consistent narrative through each episode (apparently Greg Weisman from Gargoyles/Young Justice fame came on board and combining his work with the excellent work from the rest of the show brings some really good results.) and they brought in a really good villain for the season in Nerissa. The show basically keeps topping itself over and over again and peaks at the season 2 finale. While it's unfortunate that the show was canceled after the second season it does mean that W.I.T.C.H peaked at the very last episode and it's really hard not to respect that.

Also the whole thing is on YouTube right now because apparently Disney can't be bothered to take down their decade old shows. There's even a fanmade HD upscaled version. Take a look.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:43:34 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: October 12, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »
Hot Dayum at Black Lightning S2(?)E1 (newest season)

I think they hired a new choreographer that really wanted to show off what they could do on a CW budget. Action was on point.

Edit:
I finished watching Troll Hunter on Netflix,  all 3 seasons  with my daughter,  and i gotta say,  i really enjoyed it. Animation was good,  the action was good,  characters enjoyable,  and the show was overall just good quality.

Now i gotta convince her to check out The Dragon Prince.  Heard it was very similar to Avatar TLAB.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:52:13 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: October 25, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
I FINALLY!!!! finished Daredevil S3

I would say easily the best of the Netflix Marvel series start to finish. It's a damn shame the Netflix Marvel couldn't have had this quality from DDS1 through everything that happened before S3, and that Netflix Marvel is likely being cancelled and shifted to Netflix Hulu/Vault. Hopefully the everyone involved not a Netflix exec get to make the transition over to the new home and the story gets to continue.

I know JJ hasn't been "officially" cancelled yet, and we still have The Punisher S2 to look forward to, but I think we all know what's down the line for these series.... and it's not likely Heroes for Hire on Netflix.

But back to Daredevil S3. The Best of the Netflix Marvel series and the DD series as a whole. The action was on point, the one take in ep 4 was amazing, the final fight was satisfying, Dex was crazy accurate and a good counterpoint for Murdoch from a skills standpoint. This was definitely a high point, peaking just above DD S1.

I really hope Disney and/or Netflix keep these shows alive (even if LC and JJ probably need to get some new energy injected into them - yes IF S2 was pretty good and ended in a very interesting place. I wish to see IF continue, but JJ & LC need a retooling w/ some new creative and writing)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: October 27, 2018, 02:16:18 AM »
Well, Goblin Slayer is certainly something!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: October 27, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »
JJ is still currently filming, so it won't be cancelled just yet. I have a feeling maybe these two shows will not be cancelled, since Disney can't exactly make them family-friendly, same with Punisher. I bet there plan is to bring Luke Cage and Iron Fist to their streaming service, since those two can be made family-friendly pretty easily.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: October 27, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »
Well, Goblin Slayer is certainly something!

I haven't actually seen this show/cartoon/anime, but I hear its based off some 2ch Dragon Quest meme page.
After reading more about it.... I'm not sure I want to know any more about it. LOL

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: October 27, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »
I have a feeling maybe these two shows will not be cancelled, since Disney can't exactly make them family-friendly, same with Punisher.

I'm not so sure. the latest seasons of JJ and DD were both far more family friendly than their predecessors. DD S3* (oops) had no real graphic scenes in it. There was some blood, but it seems they've taken a hugs step back from the explicit gore that littered the first season.

JJ season 2 as well. Season 2 only had one real yucky scene if I recall correctly, and that was the aftermath of mumsy's antics in the back of the van. Season 1 had dismemberment and impalement all through it.   

I think they could easily make them suitable family viewing if they wanted to.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:20:39 PM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: October 28, 2018, 06:37:18 AM »
Daredevil S2 had Turk almost getting his foot sawed off by a member of the Hand! Punisher shanks like six prisoners in a hallway!