Author Topic: NWR Monster Hunter Club  (Read 480923 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NWR Monster Hunter Club
« Reply #1800 on: November 01, 2010, 11:13:21 PM »
I was on for a while but I am tired now. Sorry Kytim.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: November 08, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
Are there still people going online for this game?  I just picked it up and wondered if there is a NWR community playing that wouldn't be opposed to some (semi-useless) newbies tagging along at some point.  Or maybe there are other gamers late to the MH3 party, looking to get some online experience?
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1802 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:18 PM »
I still play.I don't mind helping new players as long as they are nice and is willing to take advice.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: November 08, 2010, 04:19:42 PM »
I still play.I don't mind helping new players as long as they are nice and is willing to take advice.

Cool.  Any advice would be welcome, especially from established players that have probably already accomplished more than I ever will.  The game seems pretty intimidating to jump into... which is part of the reason I'm such a slow adopter.

Give me a week to get some more practice with the game (hopefully moving past the "totally incompetent" phase) and then I'll add my username/Capcom code to my signature and follow this thread to see when people go online.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1804 on: November 08, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »

Cool.  Any advice would be welcome, especially from established players that have probably already accomplished more than I ever will.  The game seems pretty intimidating to jump into... which is part of the reason I'm such a slow adopter.

Give me a week to get some more practice with the game (hopefully moving past the "totally incompetent" phase) and then I'll add my username/Capcom code to my signature and follow this thread to see when people go online.
This is my first Monster Hunter game.Got it back in June. I'm HR 151 at the moment and I am just trying to work on different sets for each weapon type.

There is many weapon types so try to pick one that fits your play style.
Sword and shields are quick at attacking but has low attack but has great elemental attack and status weapons. So the focus should be on those two things to make the best of them. The shield can also cause KO damage when it attacks the head but it takes a while longer then the hammer.

Great Swords are very strong but they tend to attack slowly so you need to watch for openings.It can also block attacks from monsters.

Hammers have pretty good attack but not much as far as elemental attack.Usually work on the head to knock out the monster so it is not able to attack for a few seconds.Also causes exaust damage which makes the monster tired and makes it stay still.

Probably the best all around weapon for most situations is the lance. It has a weapon for all the elements and statuses. Also has a shield. It is great for underwater fights as well.

The switch axe is a pretty good weapon for the hovering monsters. Great for tail cutting. main defense is rolling and side stepping.Has all the elementals and it has a paralisis as well.

The long sword has pretty good mobility when out.Pretty fast as far as attacking goes.

Finally the bowgun which I haven't played much with but it has 3 parts to it. The frame, barrel, and stock. Mixing different guns can make you have different ammo combonations. Maybe Mop it up can explain more about it.

Here is a good channel on youtube for Monster Hunter Tri.

http://youtube.com/user/SocialDissonance He has tutorials for all the weapons and tons more videos as well.He is on vacation at the moment.He has a Lets Play where he starts in the online with a new character and basically fights all the monsters with level approprate weapons.

Another good resource is the Monster Hunter Tri wiki.Just put that into Google and it should be the first result.I use it to check weapon trees and different armors.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1805 on: November 08, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Got jury duty tomorrow so I will be away from the game for some amount of time. So work on offline while I am away ejamer.

Edit: God hammering the final online boss is a pain as far as hitting its head when it isn't knocked down. I did manage to get a skypiercer though.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:57:04 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: November 08, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »
Good luck with jury duty.  I'll be around next week after getting a better understanding of how to play.

Spent part of the evening trying to get started with the offline game.  It's really slow at the beginning, but that's probably for the best.  This game seems like it requires a strong understanding of the "basics" before you jump into bigger battles - which was part of the issue I had with the demo disc.  Seems really cool so far - even started combining different items and building/upgrading some new armor.

Frankly, I'm kind of disappointed I didn't pick this game up earlier after strong first impressions.  I had a month of downtime this summer, and Monster Hunter seems like it could've filled that void perfectly.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 09, 2010, 12:33:22 AM »
I still play as well. There are some materials I'm gathering for my remaining quests but I can always tag along with you guys for some easy money.
Mission...complete?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1808 on: November 09, 2010, 01:23:52 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention what skills work well for each weapon type.
For sword and shields you generally want elemental attack up or status attack up. Razor sharp is good as well since that skill makes you lose sharpness slower.Sharpness affects the elemental damage and it also affects if your attacks bounce off certain parts of monsters.It also affects the raw damage one does with weapons. Evasion +1 can help as well for defensive purposes.

Great Sword.
These 3 skills work well together.
Critical Draw,Focus,Earplugs.
Critical Draw makes it so that attacks when you first bring out the weapon are critical meaning it does more damage then normal. Focus reduces the time to get a full Level 3 charge.Earplugs makes it so that a monsters roar doesn't stop your attacks.There is a higher version called HG earplugs which blocks all roars but that is later in the game.

Hammer:
Earplugs, Attack up Small,medium or large and focus.
Later in the game there is a skill called Sharpness+1 which makes all melee weapons have a longer sharpness bar and that affects raw damage which the hammer excels in.

Lances: Guard +2 and Evasion +2 also elemental attack up. I have 3 lance sets. One which I use for underwater hunts. A Guard +2 armor set which I personally prefer to evasion +2. Finally my evasion +2 set which I generally only use for one area. The evasion + 2 set I can use with switchaxes and long swords if I am feeling daring.

For the long sword and switch axe they tend to work well with these skills. Focus, evasion +1 or 2, and Earplugs.For later Sharpness +1,High Grade Earplugs and evasion should work. 

For gunners it really depends on what type of gun you have but elemental attack up,status attack up,Adrenaline +2 and precision work well.

Adrenaline + 2 makes your attack rediculously high but only when you have 40 % of your health left.I have seen this type of gunner online and well it made quick work of the monster. I personally wouldn't try gunning offline because it can cost lots of zenny but if you keep your farm running you should be making lots of zenny.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 09, 2010, 01:24:49 AM »
I still pop in on occasion. I don't mind playing the early quests, they give me a chance to use my bowgun for which I don't have good armour.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: November 09, 2010, 02:03:31 PM »
One last question:  What control methods do NWR gamers prefer?  I started out using the default Classic Controller option... but am considering switching it up and want to make the choice before getting much further into the game.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1811 on: November 09, 2010, 03:45:01 PM »
I use the classic controller. I tried them all out before settling on the classic controller.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1812 on: November 09, 2010, 08:33:41 PM »
Anybody want to play tonight?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: November 09, 2010, 09:47:56 PM »
Anybody want to play tonight?

Sorry - just saw the request after finishing for the day.  (That said, I probably won't have everything lined up to go online until next week anyway...)

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1814 on: November 09, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »
Have you decided on a weapon to try out? If you want to try out the weapons without having to purchase them go to the arena.

Edit:I just got done tinkering with a hammer set and well I think it is ridiculously powerful.I want to try it out online if anybody wants to play.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:21:35 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: November 10, 2010, 12:25:04 AM »
I'm on.

Ran into a lobby where a guy was posting the lyrics to a Manowar song. Oh Hell yeah.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:35:13 AM by GK »
Mission...complete?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1816 on: November 10, 2010, 09:21:27 AM »
Thanks for playing GK and Mop it up last night. I love the Adrenaline +2 Item use up Jho hammer set I made. It also makes me more aware of all the monsters attacks. So it is a challenge to keep a certain amount of HP at all times and not die. Its a nice challenge.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: November 10, 2010, 10:18:01 AM »
Have you decided on a weapon to try out? If you want to try out the weapons without having to purchase them go to the arena.

I'm excited to try using the Bowgun, but it seems expensive and more difficult to be effective with initially.  I'll stick with the Sword and Shield combo to start, and then learn to use either the Great Sword or Lance once I feel more confident with my hunting skills.  After that I'm going Bowgun all the way though.
 ;D

It's really fun to see how each weapon handles differently and requires different strategies in battle.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 10, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
Thanks for playing GK and Mop it up last night. I love the Adrenaline +2 Item use up Jho hammer set I made. It also makes me more aware of all the monsters attacks. So it is a challenge to keep a certain amount of HP at all times and not die. Its a nice challenge.

So that's what you were doing when you asked us to not heal you. I plan on making a Jho hammer eventually though I haven't planned on which skills to make around it yet. Maybe do something with Uragaan armor's Punishing Draw skill as it's an armor I was planning to create it for double Rath hunts.
Mission...complete?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1819 on: November 10, 2010, 06:36:27 PM »
Yeah I was thinking about a way to try to get my HP in a more controlled way and I remember watching a video of someone facing Jhen and using a toadstool.It poisoned him and you could just let the health down like that. Fighting Rathian last night I noticed some things. Like what I could and could not be hit by to get down to a certain amount of health at different health percentages. Really indepth things. Stuff like its pounce and eat and fireball are its strongest attacks while its charge and tail spin isn't really that much.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1820 on: November 11, 2010, 07:25:21 PM »
Anybody want to hunt tonight?
Jhen+ and Super Ala are up. Don't know how long though.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: November 11, 2010, 09:06:43 PM »
Yeah, I'm in. May have to do some Gigginox farming before joining you though. I prefer using Mega Demondrug & Armorskin when dealing with Ala but I'm tapped out on Monster Broth.
Mission...complete?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1822 on: November 11, 2010, 09:18:05 PM »
I actually need to get more Dash extract for Mega Dash Juice. So message me online when you get done.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »
~Newbie Newsflash!~

First Great Jaggie downed after a ferocious battle!  Ok, the battle wasn't actually that difficult... but it was time consuming.  Some silly mistakes were made, and additional patience would probably help.  There will be a chance to improve during the follow-up attempt though.  Biggest gripe: having key items stolen by those damn Felynes during battle.

Does this mean I'm ready to take on Super Ala?   (kidding!)

Sure would be easier to make some progress on the game without work and a young family to take care of.  Oh well, sleep is overrated anyway.  With a little weekend effort, I should be ready to check out the online mode next week - I'd be perfect as "live bait".

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1824 on: November 12, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
Well there is two ways to get your items back. Attack the cat and you will get back the item. If they get away the other is to visit their base. On the island it is in area 4 in the cave check the statue.

Alexis, she/her/Miss