Author Topic: NWR Monster Hunter Club  (Read 481265 times)

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Monster Hunter Club
« Reply #775 on: June 08, 2010, 01:37:23 AM »
With me, yeah. Until I nail this summer cold.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 08, 2010, 02:09:18 AM »
You can get a cold during the summer?

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 08, 2010, 02:31:31 AM »
Yeah. Especially with this weather seemingly unable to make up its mind if it wants to be unseasonably cold or unseasonably hot.
Mission...complete?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #778 on: June 08, 2010, 02:47:50 AM »
Thanks for playing everybody! I am quickly gaining HR. Now I am HR11. I have the switchaxe now as well.I am probably going to use these weapons most likely in all our online matches. Got to upgrade the sword and shield.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 08, 2010, 03:11:49 AM »
The Hammer does high impact damage & has charged swing attacks depending on how long you hold the button down. Downside is that there's no defense to it at all. Even items that increase guard or add auto guard are voided.
One thing the hammer can do is stun enemies, though you have to hit it in the head, which isn't always possible with large monsters.

Bowgun of course is great for shooting away at a distance & there are different types of ammo for different situations. Kinda cool that you can customize them as well. Downside is of course monsters typically don't keep their distance when attacking.
The real downside is that bowgunning is very expensive. Not only do you have to constantly buy ammo, but you have to create a whole different, gunner-class set of armour for it.

Haven't spent much time using the lance. From what I can tell it's a great stabbing weapon & the shield with it basically turns you into a walking phalanx. Think there's a forward rush attack in there judging from the times a lancer has bowled me over... Have to ask someone else here what the cons are.
One thing is, blocking uses more stamina than dodging. So it is important to keep the gauge as full as possible.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: June 08, 2010, 04:37:47 AM »
Thanks for playing everybody! I am quickly gaining HR. Now I am HR11. I have the switchaxe now as well.I am probably going to use these weapons most likely in all our online matches. Got to upgrade the sword and shield.

Just make sure you are careful not to pummel your allies when it's jump-on-the-stunned-monster time. It can be a problem with the axe, hammer and long sword.

I wish there was a way to unleash my spirit combos without pummeling people over half of the time.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #781 on: June 08, 2010, 05:21:50 AM »
Can you play tonight Stratos?It is 2:21 am PST currently.
Nevermind you look like you are offline.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:29:26 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 08, 2010, 07:45:05 AM »
Yeah, hammer stunning is fun & all but watch your HP. You'll almost always get caught by a forward charge of some sort. Thank you Divine Blessing.

I know you can make ammo by combining items too. Does that help reduce the costs of keeping a bowgun around? Saw that there is a free bowgun you can get via rust shard but the stats don't look promising. Looks like a Civil War rifle or something.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 08, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »
You can combine items to make ammo, but for most types, you make only one bullet with each combination. You'll end up using hundreds of items just to fill your pouch with ammo, which means hours and hours of gathering the materials. It's easier to simply buy ammo, since money is much easier to get.

Combining does serve a purpose, though. Since you can carry only a limited amount of each type of shot, you can take the items to combine for more on a quest. Also, only lvl 1 strength items can be purchased, lvl 2 and 3 must be combined. You might be able to buy/trade for the materials used in those shots, but either way, it is a huge grind to prepare a bowgun for each quest.

I have that bowgun from the rustshard, it is not a good one. It has the ability to fire multi-shot crag shots, which means it fires three in a row for the price of one, dealing triple damage. However, it can't use very many other types of shots, and has small clip sizes for them (it can't use recover shots or power/armour shots, so it offers no support). You can carry only 9 crag shots, and materials to make 9 more, which isn't enough to be worth it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 08, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
I will be on later tonight. Not sure when, but this is becoming a nightly thing for me now. Plus I need those last two rathalos plates.

Hey, Maxi, what happened to your WiiSpeak? I kinda miss talking to you like we did in Animal Crossing.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 08, 2010, 10:08:21 PM »
This is Tuesday, right? Where is everyone?

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 08, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »
I'm on now. :)
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #787 on: June 09, 2010, 12:01:06 AM »
Uh NBA Finals game was on tonight and started at 6pm PST so I have been keeping track of that.Game just ended with Lakers winning a close one. Wii Speak use I could use more.Is it the same quality as in AC:CF?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 09, 2010, 12:19:06 AM »
No, the Wii Speak quality is worse than Animal Crossing, but better than The Conduit. It's a bit more grainy, but doesn't have an echo. Just speak clearly and enunciate, and it should be fine. Also note that only someone with Wii Speak can hear you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 09, 2010, 02:12:28 AM »
And Mop it up has a broken one so she can hear people but she can't be heard.

Do I come in clear enough, Mop it up? I could move it close if that is a problem.

Coming on now.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 09, 2010, 02:26:10 AM »
I'll be honest... sometimes I have no idea what you are saying. In those instances I usually hear enough key words to piece together what you're trying to communicate, but there have been a few times where I couldn't make it out. That can be a bit awkward, because I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring you, and don't want to be annoying by asking you to type it out...

Once again, I have trouble comprehending electronically reproduced voices due to being partially deaf in one ear. Because of that, I don't think repositioning it would help me, specifically. Someone with regular hearing may not have an issue with the sound quality, I don't know. You'd have to ask them.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 09, 2010, 04:25:17 AM »
LOL, probably didn't help tonight that I started muttering to myself randomly about nonsense. I'm not even sure what I was saying in those moments. It was almost like I was sleep talking but I wasn't asleep. Probably showed how tired I am at the moment.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 09, 2010, 04:29:19 AM »
I don't think that was loud enough for the mic to pick it up.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #793 on: June 09, 2010, 04:41:16 AM »
I didn't hear you Stratos. Well I nearly finished my Ludaroth outfit. I haven't upgraded it yet I kinda want to get all the pieces. Well I upgraded my Sword and Shield and Hammer after we were done. Next armor I am going to invest in is the Barroth I believe. It has Resistances to fire. My current Ludaroth armor as a whole has -11 in fire resistances. Might want to mix my outfit later on.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 09, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
I didn't hear you Stratos.
See my earlier post:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30593.msg613988#msg613988

Only people with a Wii Speak themselves can hear others.

Might want to mix my outfit later on.
Mixing armour pieces is rarely a good idea. Having a complete set enables certain skills, and skills are more important than defense points.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: June 09, 2010, 07:09:30 PM »
Mixing armor works best when you've fully figured out how armor abilities work, and want to manipulate your gear for specific abilities.  There's a few examples of good mixes on the monster hunter wiki (just google those words to find it,) but generally, without a lot of planning, it doesn't work out.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #796 on: June 10, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
I just checked and I didn't have Wiispeak hooked up. My 2 USB slots were being occupied by my charger and my keyboard. I will remember to switch my keyboard for WiiSpeak the next time we play.

Thank you for the link thatguy. I looked through the armor and I noticed 2 armor with no weaknesses or resistances in the elemental areas.The Guild and Ranger armor. Are these good armor to shoot for?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:07:28 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 10, 2010, 05:49:24 PM »
I advise switching out the charger and not the keyboard. That way you can communicate with non-wiispeak owners.
My Game Collection

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 11, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »

Thank you for the link thatguy. I looked through the armor and I noticed 2 armor with no weaknesses or resistances in the elemental areas.The Guild and Ranger armor. Are these good armor to shoot for?

Guild Armor is nice because of its Evasion+2 and Good Luck abilities (Autotracker stops mattering very early on), but it'll take lots of time in the Arena to earn, and it doesn't come with any slots for gems (a BIG downside).  Having Taunt can be a plus if you're looking to tank (i.e. me), but a big minus if you're not very comfortable with dodging/blocking.

Ranger Armor was pretty nice, but the Bad Luck is a huge downside if you're trying to collect parts for that next armor/weapon.

One important thing to note: Resistances are good, especially for gunners.  Don't think neutral-resistance is anything to shoot for.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 11, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
Yay! School is out! Lots of Hunting to come. W00t.

I need a lot of random advanced stuff so.

Anyone gonna be on tonight? I'm going with my gf to her friends graduation some time this evening but before and after I plan to play a lot today.
My Game Collection