Author Topic: NWR Monster Hunter Club  (Read 480831 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Monster Hunter Club
« Reply #350 on: April 29, 2010, 04:54:16 AM »
Hey Stratos, Thatguy and I are still playing right now if you'd like to join us.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 29, 2010, 05:02:43 AM »
I'd love to but I have a really bad migraine and am just going to bed. Depending on how I feel tomorrow I might call in sick to work and if so I'll have plenty of time to play then.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 29, 2010, 05:08:16 AM »
All right. I hope you feel better soon.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
Okay everyone, listen up! I need three hunters to go with me on a special quest. I've just reached Rank 8, and I can't proceed until I've completed this quest to slay some kind of rock monster thingie. It's a toughie, so bring your best equipment. You must be Rank 5 or higher to join.

I'll be on tonight, possibly around 9PM Eastern. Maybe later, if I want to sleep more. Anyone interested?

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »
Wow you outrank me now. Maybe I should be the damsel.
Mission...complete?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
ARGH! I want this game so bad! Stupid tire changeovers!!!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
Thatguy and I are questing right now if anyone would care to join us.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 30, 2010, 01:08:14 AM »
We're back online again, but at a different place.  I'm trying out a different place:

Open Servers
Sincerity 4
City Gate 27
City 22

The reason?  On open servers, you can put you're playing with friends, while recruiting servers are made to bring in other people.  Even though the open servers are slightly more populated, we may just receive more privacy.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 30, 2010, 08:12:09 AM »
I enjoyed playing with you guys last night.  I'm frustrated with myself for dying too much, though. 

I do wish that the game didn't make you select a server before you could select from your friends roster and warp to them.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 30, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »
We're back online again, but at a different place.  I'm trying out a different place:

Open Servers
Sincerity 4
City Gate 27
City 22

The reason?  On open servers, you can put you're playing with friends, while recruiting servers are made to bring in other people.  Even though the open servers are slightly more populated, we may just receive more privacy.

We can certainly switch if you guys feel this would be better.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
Little off topic I won't be back stateside till around July, do you think most of you will still be playing or am I going to have to play this soup for one. 
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Seacor

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 30, 2010, 10:36:15 AM »
I'm frustrated with myself for dying too much, though. 

Same here.  I helped hunt Barroth last night, but took a few too many rides on the kitty cart.  I got to know the kitty's pretty well and learned that one of them is good friends with one of my farm workers.  Apparently, Pepe has been saying some bad things about how I am running my farm.  I also found out that my kitty chef is putting powdered dung in my meals.
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2010, 02:01:20 PM »
Little off topic I won't be back stateside till around July, do you think most of you will still be playing or am I going to have to play this soup for one. 

I can't speak for everyone else, but I plan to keep playing for a while, especially if the monthly DLC is good.   
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2010, 05:51:16 PM »
This is the new Animal Crossing in my book which means that it will be a regular game I play for a good long while.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 30, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
Does that also mean you're not going to play Animal Crossing anymore? :'(

Are you going to use your week without Internet to play the single-player campaign and come back with a super-strong character worthy of the name Stratos?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 30, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
I'm going to use this week to finish my research paper that is due on the 7th so I can play the game when I get internet again.

On my spare time I hope to power up my character some so I don't fall behind, though. But the game isn't nearly as fun solo.

I still want to play AC from time to time. But I feel this game will be a similar experience with a few new and exciting elements thrown in.
My Game Collection

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 30, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
Has anyone run into a pair of Great Jaggi offline let? I was sorta hangin' in there but after one of them followed me to the next screen when I had to sharpen my weapon & down some potion, I called it quits & did a quick return home.

One of these days I'll finish all of the level one online quests. Most players seem to prefer killing Great Jaggi or that bird over & over instead getting those less interesting ones done like finding mushrooms.
Mission...complete?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 30, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »
Can you blame them?  Gathering is no fun, and killing many of the lower mobs, while not as bad as gathering, is dull compared to the bosses.  Don't forget that if you want to make sets of armor, you'll need to fight those bosses several times, so there's more reason to repeat those missions.

I've got a few tips to help people not die, just stuff I've picked up:

When running, if you tap the "B" Button while a monster is attacking, often you'll do a crazy high super-jump thing, and it renders you (practically?) invincible until it's over.  It's a great method for last-minute dodging.

When you're not looking to attack the enemy, or just not near him, sheath your weapon.  It slows you down and you can't run as effectively.  There's no reason to have your weapon out if you're no where near the monster, especially if it has no charge-up style attack.

Watch out for hammer charges.  The hammer weapon has a charge-up attack that's very effective at stunning monsters or giving status effects, if the weapon is right.  If you see a glowing hammer user running toward a monster's head, he or she's going to try to stun it.  Try not to hit hammer user, since the opportunity to get a clean hit on their head to work towards stun is rare, and the hammer is the weapon that does it best.

Don't be afraid to guard, but dodging is almost always better.  If you have a weapon that can guard, use it.  It's better than taking a full attack, and lances, especially, are great at not taking damage through that method.

Feel free to leave the area to heal up and sharpen your weapon.  There's no reason to stick around to sharpen, especially if you've got a huge chunk of "red" health to use.

If necessary, go rest on the bed at the camp.  It'll refill your life and cancel status effects.  If you feel there's a chance you'll need to do this, bring some extra steak, since it probably means the battle will go on for some time.

Eat!  Eat food before a tough monster, and it'll make it all a much easier fight.  It's tough to tell what food will do, but there's a list available here that you can use.  Scroll down until you get to the part about ingredients to know what to use for the fight.

Try to carry around a few extra potions, whetstones, and possibly herbs or mega potions.  Mega potions are easy to make, taking honey and a potion, and that's all.  Just because you take them into a fight doesn't mean you have to use them, but emergencies do occur.

Eat two rations right away and be sure to drink the hot/cool drink for the area.  If you don't, you'll have lower stamina than everyone else, and it'll run down quickly if the weather is too hot or cold and you don't drink.

Those are just helpful tips that should lead to a bit more success.  The last thing, I'd say, is don't be afraid to just stand back and watch a monster a bit the first few times you fight.  You might see things like how Qurupeco always taps his flint stones together a few times before he does the leap-forward-fire attack, or that the Royal Ludroth will raise his upper body, but no water will show before he does the side-roll attack.  That can only help you know when to dodge or shield.

Anyway, I'm about to head online, probably.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 30, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
Yeah, I know it's not exactly a waste of time to fight them over & over again. Working on a Qurupeco set among others actually. The full Jaggi armor doesn't really impress me but I haven't sold the parts yet since after that arena battle where I accidentally selected a bowgun I've been debating on putting together a Jaggi-gun. Of course the downer to that would be gunners can't wear all of the same armor pieces as everyone else.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 30, 2010, 11:29:42 PM »
I'm online right now if anyone wants to join. I'm just gathering materials, but we can do some lvl 1 quests.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 01, 2010, 12:02:23 AM »
I'm about to join up, after a quick snack.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2010, 02:11:03 AM »
Sorry, mop it up, bustin and thatguy, I didn't mean to abandon you, but my Wii temporarily froze up on me. :(  I, of course, couldn't get back in on the quest.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 01, 2010, 02:17:56 AM »
That's all right. Will you be coming back?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #373 on: May 01, 2010, 12:43:36 PM »
It was fun last night. I was able to level up to 4 from 2. Looking forward to the next time! C'mon Pale, jump in, the water is fine :)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 01, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
I'm online right now if anybody's interested.  Seacor is on but he's in a quest, so I might just PUG it.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog