Author Topic: Any Suggestions? (audio recievers)  (Read 2179 times)

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Any Suggestions? (audio recievers)
« on: May 20, 2004, 09:07:41 PM »
Yeah, so I just had a recent problem with mine.

I bought some dealio at some random electronic store a few years back, and got a 5.1 system for pretty cheap.  It had nice speakers, that all went into one dvd player/audio reciever.

Well, recently I had some people set stuff on top of the vents and burn out the Dolby Digital (Pro Logic still works), and more recently then that some other features went.  It is quite awkward, as I can isolate it when each problem began.

I've been out of the market, and haven't done much research lately, but I was looking for some help.  If anybody knows where I could get a cheap (~100 Dollars) reciever that decoded Dolbly Digital, Pro Logic, posibly EAX.  Pretty much the best thing-a-ma-bob that I can plug my 5.1 speakers (which are all still good) into.  I'm kinda an audiophile, so the best sounding stuff would be awesome.  It doesn't have to have Pro Logic II, but it would be nice to have at least the first.  

Thanks for your time

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
RE:Any Suggestions? (audio recievers)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 10:05:04 AM »
you call yourself an audiophile, but you bought dvd/5.1 system all-in-one?  and you're looking for a sub $100 receiver?
whatever....

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 01:27:31 PM »
"Out of the market"...  What does that mean?  This reciever belonged to a friend of mine.  I was asking here for him.

When I said I was "out of the market", that was refering to the circa 100 dollar field.  Yes, I am and audiophile.  I was looking to see if anybody here knew the best sounding equipment for cheap, because that isn't my market anymore...

Anyway, this thread can be locked now.  I found one.  Thanks for looking.

Offline jalman64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 08:33:38 PM »

Originally posted by: MattVDB
"Out of the market"...  What does that mean?  This reciever belonged to a friend of mine.  I was asking here for him.

When I said I was "out of the market", that was refering to the circa 100 dollar field.  Yes, I am and audiophile.  I was looking to see if anybody here knew the best sounding equipment for cheap, because that isn't my market anymore...

Anyway, this thread can be locked now.  I found one.  Thanks for looking.

Honestly, I don't think there's such a thing as a sub-$100 receiver that can do DD 5.1 and Pro-Logic.

I own a Pioneer receiver that does DD, DTS, and Pro-Logic, but lacks some of the more advanced features of more expensive stuff.  That was the lowest-end 5.1 A/V receiver Pioneer makes and I paid about $180 for it.  That model is probably hard to find now, but I remember Kenwood or some other electronics company making surround sound receivers for around $150-$180.  Have you visited any dedicated home theater or audio-video related forums?  I think they can provide much better help in your search.  They certainly helped me a bunch when I looking into surround sound.

Offline Abishur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 09:43:50 PM »
  I would check your classifieds for people saleing their stuff.  I just bought a REALLY nice system for $150.  The Reciever came seperately from the 5 speakers witch came seperate from the 12" sub.  You have to deal with some wierd people and it may take a while before you can find some equipment that isn't crap, but unless you're willing to spend at least $150 on the Reciever alone (and not a very good one at that), it's the way to go.  Good luck.
Huh?  How did I get here?  And when did I become a eunuch?

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
RE: Any Suggestions? (audio recievers)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 01:05:29 PM »
" you call yourself an audiophile, but you bought dvd/5.1 system all-in-one? and you're looking for a sub $100 receiver?
whatever.... "

LMAO
I have cables that cost more than what you are willing to spend.
I just bought a yamaha RX-V2400  that I use as a pre-amp for my 4 Crown XLS-402A amps in a 7.2 (2 velodyne cht 12 inch subs) HT set-up.
Add in a sweet 24 bit Arcam CD player a Denon DVD and now you are talking Audiophile/videophile.

Anyhow, 5.1 recievers are quite cheap now as many people (audio-video nuts like myself) make the switch to 7.1 and up.

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 04:32:40 AM »
thanks for backing me up thecubedcanuck.  there is about $800 worth of monster cable connecting the components of my stereo...