Author Topic: Hockey Discussion: The Leafs Would Like To Borrow Taylor Hall's Horseshoe  (Read 185660 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Hockey Discussion: Now without the Flyers because they lost, baby!!!
« Reply #350 on: April 28, 2018, 11:03:51 PM »
There's still almost a month and a half of playoffs left. The second round (of four) just started.

Tonight the results of the draft lottery were announced, and the friend of mine I've mentioned here who's a Senators fan is not happy, as they finished with the second-worst record but got knocked down to fourth in the draft. Buffalo, who finished dead last, will indeed pick first. For the second straight year the second pick goes to a team that nearly made the playoffs in Carolina, while Montreal will pick third.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #351 on: April 28, 2018, 11:21:35 PM »
Between the Bills and winning the draft lottery, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and Dahlin to end up in Edmonton somehow. Can they handle all this winning?

I still can't believe an expansion team is favoured to make the final four, even if the Knights are in OT as I type this.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 28, 2018, 11:30:10 PM »
The Bills drafted Josh Allen so I'm not sure how much winning they're going to be doing anytime soon.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2018, 12:37:41 AM »
Knights drop their first one thanks to the Wheel of Goalie Interference. Couldn't erase a goal scored against them and lost one they scored. Wheeeeeee!

I was kind of hoping Edmonton would pull off the impossible and win the Draft Lottery just to see the league implode from outrage from all the other fanbases with crap teams right now. But Buffalo finally got the win they craved when Edmonton stole Conner McDavid from them. And the truth is they need defensive help there badly so Dahlin is a big get. Recently, NBC released some statistics about the markets with most hockey viewership in the playoffs so far. Pittsburgh was number 1 but Buffalo was number 2 which is pretty amazing since they aren't a playoff team. So, I'm glad their fans got some kind of a win for being hockey fans despite having such a terrible team for so long now.

Carolina got pretty darn lucky but with the new owner and GM shake-up, I wonder if they are going to fumble that pick. Of course, Ottawa dropping doesn't bother me. I absolutely loved the dumpster fire that team became particularly in December when the news leaked that Karlsson was asked to name teams he'd be willing to get traded too and Melnyk dumped on the fans and how hard it is to keep the team in Ottawa. The less help they get out there, the better as far as I'm concerned. Whenever I meet someone in Canada who roots for the Senators, I instantly question their taste in everything. Your friend really needs to move on from that team. Anything is better (except for Philly).
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2018, 02:04:37 AM »
Speaking of the Flyers, so I obviously got in one dig by changing this thread title to riff on the NBA one. I like that it celebrates the Flyers loss in a thread started by Insanolord himself. Of course, if the Pens go down, I wouldn't be surprised if he changes it to reflect that and fair enough. But in the meantime:

What do the Flyers and the Titanic both have in common?

Both look great until the hit the ice.

Why do the Flyers wear orange?

So they can go straight back to work picking up garbage when the game is over.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2018, 04:22:51 AM »
Honestly, I'm very happy with this Flyers season apart from having it end at the hands of the Penguins. We were never going to be serious contenders this year, but we showed resiliency, fighting back from that 10 game losing streak and other issues, and saw great development for a lot of our young guys like Konecny, Patrick, and Sanheim, plus the wave before that of Provorov, Gostisbehere, and Couturier stepping up as leaders and into high level roles. We've got more prospects coming, and for the first time since Ron Hextall took over as GM we're going to have significant cap room to play with this offseason as he's finally rid us of most of the awful contracts his predecessor saddled him with. This is a team on the rise, and the next few years are going to be a lot of fun.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 02, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »
I tuned into two separate games tonight that were tied late in the 3rd period hoping to see some of that sweet playoff overtime action, and both of them ended up with late winners to deny me that pleasure.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 02, 2018, 04:19:50 AM »
Need to watch some Vegas for that. I feel like there has been very little overtime action this year. Columbus/Washington had some and Vegas had one double OT with Kings and now a couple with Sharks. I've been watching Vegas now that the Ducks are out and I've been enjoying their games a lot. Man, Vegas really did get a jackpot with their team. Definitely worth checking out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 05, 2018, 10:09:43 PM »
Is it really going to happen this time? The Capitals have a 3-2 lead, just one win away from doing what's been so impossible for them over the years, beating Pittsburgh and getting to the conference finals.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #359 on: May 05, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »
We all know this is building to a 1-0 Game 7 OT win for Pittsburgh.

I'm kind of hoping for Winnipeg/San Jose in the West just because of some truth San Jose told about Winnipeg earlier in the year, but I'm still expecting Nashville to bounce back on that end as well.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2018, 02:52:17 AM »
They just might. As odd as it sounds considering the Capitals had back-to-back President Trophy winning teams in 2016 and 2017, I actually think this is the best Capitals team the Penguins have faced yet. This is the first time I've ever really seen them not give up or meltdown when things go bad. I think the last thing this team wants to do is lose three years in a row to the Penguins and they are staying focused on working hard to beat them no matter how bad things may get in a game. The mindset of this group strikes me as different from any other year they've played where they just seem to doubt themselves and seem unable to respond when things go bad.

It's a shame the Penguins have had to play both Flyers and the Capitals in the first two rounds since both those teams seem to be resorting to some questionable hits in order to try and beat the Penguins or play against them. When I'm watching other series and I'm just not seeing the level of dangerous hits in them as seems to be occurring in some of the Penguins games. Boston / Toronto was probably most comparable but even that kind of went tame as the series went on.

The weird thing is that the Penguins are kind of a one line team right now. There's Crosby and Guentzel doing most of the heavy lifting but just not seeing much happening from the other lines and the past couple years the Penguins were getting great contributions from all four lines to win. Malkin and Hagelin both got injured in the Flyers series and that seems to have affected the danger of that second line a bit which is a shame. With the way Malkin was playing in January and February, I thought he could have a huge playoff run this year but Crosby / Guentzel are the ones who have been having the biggest impact. Kessel must be playing through an injury. He'd had an incident near the end of the regular season and people thought he might miss some of the last few games but he stayed in the line-up but maybe he should have been resting up. Tonight was the first game where he looked to be a lot more effective and his past playoff self. My guess is that whatever he has may be a hand/wrist injury and that fixing it would require surgery and ending the season so he's playing through. Considering some of his stick work and handling of the puck, it suggests a problem in the arm wrist area since his skating seems to be mostly fine.

That said, the expected third line center of Brassard has now dropped to the fourth line center and Sheahan has take up that role. I'm ok with it because I think Sheahan has become very effective for the Penguins and was a big part of their turnaround in January but he seems offensively limited and if Kessel is hurt, that might be an prevent that third line from contributing much. If Sheary can find his 2016 game, that would really help improve the fortunes of that line and the Penguins right now. He can move well and does pretty good in creating a chance but it either gets shut down from lack of support or he's unable to convert the opportunity into a goal.

As for Brassard, I was never enthusiastic about the trade. Pundits made a big deal about it because of his puck possession and other statistics but he's not a guy that ever impressed me and I'm not a big fan of someone who played on both Columbus and Ottawa. If players look good on those teams it is only because the rest are even worse. The only real successful player to come out of Ottawa that I can think of is Hossa. Anyone else who ever had success on that team and left it has never made much of an impact anywhere else. You might point to Mike Fischer but, again, with the depth on that team, there are probably eight to ten players that were a bigger factor than him.

I will say, though, that I have noticed Brassard is able to often get the puck over to the opposing zone but nothing much happens when it gets there. A Brassard shift often seems to be more back and forth as both teams try to set something up but nothing materializes and then it goes the other way only for that to fail and return. The only player I have hopes in that can score on the fourth line is Rust who was playing with Malkin on the second line in the past couple playoffs so it might be smarter to put him back there to try and get that second line going since I don't think Brassard or Kuhnhackl are going to give Rust the offensive support he needs at this point.

Of course, the big second guessing for some is whether Pittsburgh should have kept Fleury over Murray. The Vegas expansion is pretty frustrating because without it, Pittsburgh may not have had to make that choice yet and who knows how this year's playoffs go if Murray is struggling like he seems to be at times. A lot of teams could be different. Expansion draft really seems to have messed up the Anaheim Ducks and what they were building as well which is kind of frustrating. I really hoped the team would have kept Fleury because I've always liked and believed in him even when his reputation got cratered a bit during 2012 - 2014 and the media and fans put a lot of the blame on him for the playoff failures they suffered. I felt bad for him in 2016 when the Pens went on that playoff run and Murray had the net because Fleury had been injured shortly before the post-season and, finally when the Pens had a really good team again, he wasn't able to be the one in net to prove the critics wrong. Loved the 2017 run more because he was a big part of that run but was sad he didn't get the chance to go all the way and finish it. I can't deny that Murray was excellent when taking over but I felt Fleury could have won it also. It's kind of funny that he ended up almost getting his own team in the end and a brand new big fanbase in Vegas so I'm happy for the guy to be getting that love from the fans in Vegas. I just wish more of that could have happened in Pittsburgh. The truth is Murray is still a young player and developing but Fleury is kind of in the prime of his career right now so it's hard to compare the two at this point so I'm not writing Murray off and he may still prove to be the smarter choice. It's just hard because Fleury has a more charismatic personality than Murray so it's easier to like him a bit more because of it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2018, 03:21:12 AM »
That was a long post. You got me monologuing about the Penguins again, you sly dog. But I will just add these couple points of the history at play.

In 2009, the Penguins won their first cup in the Crosby era. They defeated the Flyers in the first round in 6 games and then defeated the Capitals in the second round in 7 games and were down 3-2 in the series after Game 5. I think they had to win Game 6 even in overtime and then had a blow-out Game 7 win. Will history repeat again?

The Edmonton Oilers won back-to-back Stanley Cups in '84 and '85. In '86 they lost in the Second Round in the seventh game when Steve Smith accidentally scored on his own net giving the Calgary Flames a 3-2 lead and the Oilers were unable to comeback and tie it. The Oilers then won in '87 and '88 but lost in the first round to the LA Kings who had acquired Gretzky from the Oilers that summer. The Penguins won in '91 and '92 but, despite winning the last 17 games in a row of the regular season, they lost in overtime in Game 7 of the second round against the Islanders. And the Red Wings won back-to-back in '97 and '98 but their bid for a threepeat ended in the second round against the Colorado Avalanche in six games.

The second round seems to be a killer for teams trying to three-peat. The tenth series victory in a row might be the hardest. So, perhaps it is only fitting that this Penguins team looking to three-peat would meet the team that most struggles to get past the second round this year. Will history stay on the Penguins side as the duplicate the start of their '09 run with the Capitals falling in the second round again or will the Capitals benefit from back-to-back winners falling short in the second round to get themselves over that hump?

It's definitely an interesting scenario at play in this series. In their two recent Championships, the Penguins only faced elimination four times. In 2016, they were down 3-2 against Tampa in the Eastern Conference Final. In 2017, they had a Game 7 against Washington and a Game 7 against Ottawa. Monday is the fifth time they've faced a potential elimination from the playoffs. If they win in 7 games, that will be six times they've done it. Never like to see a team play without that safety net as anything can happen in sports. Maybe the odds finally start to catch-up to them. Maybe they avoid elimination again. But I still think Pittsburgh is the deeper team against Washington and despite the favorable circumstances for the Capitals right now, Pittsburgh could still get their act together and see their four lines suddenly clicking again. Perhaps an elimination scare is what they need right now.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2018, 03:28:09 AM »
We all know this is building to a 1-0 Game 7 OT win for Pittsburgh.

I'm kind of hoping for Winnipeg/San Jose in the West just because of some truth San Jose told about Winnipeg earlier in the year, but I'm still expecting Nashville to bounce back on that end as well.

You think so? After the game tonight, I'm thinking the Jets may be the ultimate winners of the West and I'm thinking they might actually be the front-runners for the cup. Not to discount Tampa but Jets seem to have that "special cup run" look that teams like the 03' Ducks, 04' Flames, '06 Oilers, heck, even last year's Preds seem to have. Not sure it will translate to a cup win since it failed those teams but the way the team is playing and their attitude has that kind of destiny trait I've seen in other great cup run teams.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2018, 10:07:25 PM »
The curse is broken.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 07, 2018, 10:32:12 PM »
Not necessarily a curse. Washington did beat Pittsburgh once in the 90s. It's just that the rivalry is kind of in the Canadians/Bruins win ratio. But if Pittsburgh won, it would have been the tenth time they've beat the Capitals in the playoffs and the tenth playoff series in a row since 2016. The tenth is always the hardest to win.

Well, once again, another threepeat dream dies in the second round by a team. The Brassard trade turned out to be rather ineffective and Kessel was most likely playing injured along with Malkin who got injured in the Flyers series. Pens became a one line team and once Washington was able to focus on shutting down that one line they were able to finally get by the Pens to the third round. Last time they got to the third round was 1998 so it's a 20 year anniversary party. That said, I was already wondering how well the Penguins might stack up against Tampa and I'm not sure Capitals are that much stronger than the Penguins. Guess we'll see if the Caps can take advantage of this opportunity but a lot of times a team just doesn't have the same focus against their next opponent after a big win against a rival. See New York Jets defeating the Patriots a few years back or Flyers defeating Penguins in 2012 for quick examples.

At this point, if Jets win their series, I'd prefer to see a team from the West win. Either Jets or Vegas but I'm not that heavily invested in whatever the ultimate outcome might be. I've got to see the Penguins win a couple more cups the past couple years so it's really taken out a lot of the disappointment in the loss. I'm just kind of the shrug emoji. Whatcha gonna do? They still have a good team and can try again next year.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 09, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 09, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »
I'll tell you one thing, Kuznetsov and his stupid bird wing celebration is one of those things that will add some fuel again to this Pens/Caps rivalry over the next few years.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 17, 2018, 11:25:57 PM »
The Capitals win the first two games in Tampa, only for the Lightning to take the next two in DC. If that pattern holds it's good news for Washington, but they're going to need much better shooting than they had tonight to get there. Vasilevskly was huge in goal for Tampa but the Caps wasted so many great chances.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:49 PM »
What a performance by the Washington Capitals tonight. It ended 3-0, but it was scoreless until late in the 2nd and a one goal game with less than 10 minutes left before they pulled away. Holtby had a massive night, and the Caps with their backs against the wall simply outworked the Lightning, winning the little battles consistently until the game tipped their way. Very excited to see what kind of Game 7 we get.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 22, 2018, 02:05:27 AM »
I'm sure there is a lot of hope by hockey writers that the Capitals make it to the Finals for a Washington/Vegas final. George McPhee versus his old team. Fleury helped win the series for the Pens versus Washington last year and now it would be Caps vs Fleury for the cup. Tampa vs Vegas doesn't quite have much of a hook to latch onto aside from the fact that it's the Final and whether Vegas can pull off the storybook ending.

I'm shocked the Jets were done in 5 games. It might sink them but Vegas is who I'm rooting for now and I just don't think they can be stopped. At this point it feels like the Conn Smythe is going to Fleury win or lose unless he suddenly gets blown out every game in the cup final by 5 or more goals.

I haven't been watching any hockey since the Penguins got knocked out. I've joked with some of my friends that it is kind of nice to be free from a longer playoff run by the Ducks or Penguins and no longer being so invested in their ups and downs allowing me to just enjoy the excellent spring/summer weather of the last couple weeks. Moreover, I'm just not that terribly invested in the remaining teams aside from preferring one of the teams from the West win. But if the East pulls it off, whatever. Good for them. I think it would have been an interesting summer in Canada if the Jets and crazy Winnipeg (Slurpee Capital of the World because they drink so many Slurpees) had pulled it off. But that ain't going to happen so now I'm rooting for Fleury to at least 3-peat and enjoy the playoff run I always believed he could pull off. I'll check out Game 7 of the East now to see how that goes down but if I'm watching the Finals it is mainly for Vegas to win.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 22, 2018, 02:16:41 AM »
Personally, I'm rooting for Washington. Ovechkin is an incredible player, it'd be a shame if he never got to lift the cup, and this might be his last good chance to do it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 22, 2018, 03:54:18 AM »
Heck, it might be his only chance with the Capitals history in the playoffs but he still has to get to the Final. Closest he's ever been but Washington just played to stay alive and now the Lightning are going to be doing the same. Will it be another Game 7 overtime winner like last year with the Pens/Sens? If so, Kunitz is playing for the Lightning this year so Washington may want to keep an eye on him.

This is why I say I'm not that terrible invested in the teams left. If Washington wins, good on them and Ovechkin finally can shed that baggage of not getting to the Finals and not having won a cup. If Lightning win, way to go Yzerman for his work as GM and Stamkos gets his name on a cup. Kucherov is showing that he looks to be a heck of a player and sucks to be Drouin demanding a trade from a team that's had championship potential for a few years now because he didn't think he was getting used well enough. Still, Vegas has a few former Penguin and Ducks players thanks to their draft so I feel more affinity to that team because of it and the play a fast game in the style that the Penguins have done the last couple years. There's just a fun energy to the team. They've had the rare opportunity to play through with no real expectations because just qualifying was seen as the biggest victory for this team and so the players are just having fun and enjoying the ride they are on. They've won me over while watching them play the Kings in the opening round. Plus, they've got a mascot second only to Wild Wing in being compellingly attention getting.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 23, 2018, 10:48:12 PM »
And after all that suspense, Game 7 was never in doubt, as Washington cruises to victory 4-0. The Stanley Cup Final will be the long-suffering Washington Capitals against the not-long-anything Vegas Golden Knights. Here's hoping for a great series.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 28, 2018, 11:48:01 PM »
Nobody talking about the Capitals and Golden Knights?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 29, 2018, 02:35:05 AM »
It was a great Game 1. Apparently the most lead changes in one game in Stanley Cup Finals history. The Caps were this close to equalizing late and forcing overtime but they couldn't knock in a perfect pass with an open net to shoot at before Vegas slammed the door with an empty net goal. If tonight was any indication, this should be a very entertaining series.

J.P. Corbran