Author Topic: The Lag Alleviation Thread  (Read 12358 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
The Lag Alleviation Thread
« on: March 14, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »
Here are all the possibilities to eliminate/reduce lag in online matches:

1. USB Adaptor for a Wired Connection

It's $25 and it eliminates all concern about whether or not your wifi is on the right channel, has enough strength, has too much inteference, etc. $25 and it comes with a cable. You also won't have to type in a goddamn 26-digit WEP key with the software keyboard (yay!)

2. Open UDP ports going out or DMZ your Wii's IP address.

Most routers have a DMZ option, aka "demilitarized zone", meaning that whichever IP address has the DMZ on it will have full incoming and outgoing access to all ports.

1. Log into your router (usually http://192.168.1.1/). If you don't know your router's IP, use the "Run..." command in Windows and put in "ipconfig" and hit enter. One of the values it returns should be "Gateway" and you'll have an IP address for the Gateway: that's your "gateway" to the internet, aka your router's IP address. Put it into a browser window as the URL and hit enter.

2. Find the router's DHCP connection list. On this list, you will find your Wii (if it's on and WC24 is running, that is).

3. Copy your Wii's IP address and go to the router's DMZ section (DMZ = demilitarized zone, meaning all ports open).

4. Put the Wii's IP address into the DMZ, save the settings and reboot the router.

5. Try Brawl and see how it works.

NOTE: Your Wii's IP address can and will change if it's connecting through DHCP. This will behave as a temporary test to see if your Wii sees improvement or not.

You're basically opening your firewall to your Wii, which SHOULD mean that Gamespy's servers no longer need to proxy the stream so the two Wiis can remain connected, which is how it currently must behave if one or both Wiis is behind a firewall which normally blocks incoming connections from programs like Brawl.

To check to see if your ports are open, use this: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/NetworkTest.jsp

It's Nintendo's own network tester (you'll need XP and IE to use it, though).

This thread might also help: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=41913059

3. Don't download crap while playing Brawl and don't let others download crap, either

This is universal for any online gaming. My Team Fortress ping has gone insane whenever someone starts a bittorrent.

4. Make sure those you play with have their Wii DMZed as well!

It doesn't matter how open your firewall is if your online friends have theirs closed. This means that you're still going to be forced to proxy through Gamespy's servers on some level. Ideally, you want to establish a direct connection to your opponent, and this can only happen if Gamespy isn't needed as an intermediary to get through a firewall for either of the users.

More ideas as we learn them...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:20:22 PM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Possible lag solution...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »
Why couldn't Nintendo just come out and say "open up yer effing UDP ports, noobs!" from Day 1?

Cuz they fail.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
I'm gonna do this when I get home.  Port Forwarding is really useful for p2p, but I haven't bothered doing it for wii yet cause I am lazy.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 03:12:53 PM »
Why couldn't Nintendo just come out and say "open up yer effing UDP ports, noobs!" from Day 1?

No idea.

Nintendo has said it in the past "Online gaming won't be good until it's profitable". I'm uncertain why they haven't acted upon it.

I'd pay $4 a month (which is a current XBL subscription for 13 months, from what I hear) to have reliable servers which proxy without lagging horribly.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »
P2P = peer to peer

P4P = pay 4 pwnage

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »
Yeah Nintendo still programs their games on 486 DX2's.

Give them a MODERN SERVER and their heads will probably explode.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »
The NAT 1 2 3 thing and changing DHCP is bs, but opening the ports may make sense depending on whether games are actually allowed to make direct connections... I'll try that tonight.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
Re: The Lag Alleviation Thread
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
I might as well turn this into a full-blown lag thread.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »
When you say alleviation I think of Sinus issues.  Is there pills for this issue?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »
Those on any kind of DSL connection, except SDSL, (stop sniggering!) will affect download speeds if they max out.

Does your ISP use "traffic management"? Otherwise known as throttling, it's very popular here. A 20mb cable connection here can be throttled by 75% if you download more than 350mb during "peak times". The likely time for "traffic management" to be applied is 4pm-12am. Pings, P2P and FTP may be pushed further down for web browsing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 07:18:36 PM by Admiral Plugabugz »

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 07:07:35 PM »
I haven't battled online AT ALL. I have a dmz set up and ports are forwarded.  But I can never connect to ANYONE, I can use DS wifi without a problem.  The web browser too, any ideas?

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 08:58:40 PM »
When you say anyone, do you mean random players or friends?
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
I haven't been able to connect with anyone at random, but friend matches have been no problem for me.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »
When you say anyone, do you mean random players or friends?
No Randoms, and no friends either.  No friends only because there hasn't been anyone :p

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 10:43:14 PM »
How does one go about doing #2?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 11:25:18 PM »
More ways to improve wireless transmission.

- Turn off devices transmitting in the 2.4GHz band.  e.g. wireless/bluetooth controllers, mice, keyboards, phones, microwaves, etc.

- Make sure Wii has good line of sight with the router.  i.e. if transmitting through walls, make sure transmission is as perpendicular to the wall as possible.

- Use channel 1 or 11 or whatever overlaps least with other routers.

- If your router has some sort of special "double speed" or "burst mode," turn it off-- the Wii doesn't support it and can be slowed down by it.

- You may need to adjust the MTU, which will vary with your internet provider.

- Make sure the Wii isn't overheating.  Many early Wiis had a problem, particularly with WC24 mode, which can degrade graphics and wireless transmission.  If this is a problem, get your Wii fixed.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »
I've yet to play with friends, but when I'm playing random, I have the fear that I'm the guy causing lag.  When I stop pressing any buttons, the games speeds up tremendously.  Makes me feel like a jerk.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 02:19:49 PM »
How does one go about doing #2?

1. Log into your router (usually http://192.168.1.1/). If you don't know your router's IP, use the "Run..." command in Windows and put in "ipconfig" and hit enter. One of the values it returns should be "Gateway" and you'll have an IP address for the Gateway: that's your "gateway" to the internet, aka your router's IP address. Put it into a browser window as the URL and hit enter.

2. Find the router's DHCP connection list. On this list, you will find your Wii (if it's on and WC24 is running, that is).

3. Copy your Wii's IP address and go to the router's DMZ section (DMZ = demilitarized zone, meaning all ports open).

4. Put the Wii's IP address into the DMZ, save the settings and reboot the router.

5. Try Brawl and see how it works.

NOTE: Your Wii's IP address can and will change if it's connecting through DHCP. This will behave as a temporary test to see if your Wii sees improvement or not.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 02:48:01 PM »
Wow...

I just checked in the manual and apparently you can get as good as a BLUE connection when playing with friends online. The best I've ever gotten is a green, and that's even to Dirk who's an hour drive from me at most. What the hell does it take to get a blue connection rating?!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 04:54:44 PM »
What the hell does it take to get a blue connection rating?!
Connect from inside Nintendo's server room.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »
Now I'm curious, I have played many other wifi-ready games online.  I have no connection problems at all, this shouldn't be an exception onces they actually get the servers going right?

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »

or move to Japan
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 02:58:59 AM »
Here's something that a friend of mine told me. He says that he was able to play someone in the UK with very little lag. He lives in Puerto Rico, so how did he get a good match with someone that far away?

Well, his solution is that you let the person with the strongest connection host the game.

This might work on a duel match, but what about 4 player matches? It doesn't matter if the host has a strong connection, after all, aren't the connections clashing with each other?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 03:09:58 AM »
Lag brings about a different kind of champion.  The one who knows not time, nor space, nor hygene.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
Actually at the Carmi Event we got Blue connections so connecting Wiis on the same LAN will do it.

or move to Japan
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.