Author Topic: What will Nintendo release in 2022?  (Read 28960 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: What will Nintendo release in 2022?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2022, 08:53:33 PM »
With the Direct happening roughly uhhhhh, now? I'm closing submissions.

Feel free to predict all sorts of shenanigans, but know they won't count for the crypto NFT points i'm handing out in December.

Quit trying to find loopholes to deny my predicting talents. The Direct starts in 5 minutes. I made the deadline!  >:(

Dang it! I did not meet the deadline. For some reason, I thought the Direct started an hour later than it did. Urgh. Here I was typing away all blissfully unaware that it was already on. What's worse is I was already right about a bunch of stuff. (And I could have done better! I was going to say there would a spiritual successor to Wii Sports in my Bold Khushrenada picks but decided to go with Style Savvy instead!) What a mess!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2022, 09:13:35 PM »
Did Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 not come out in the same year? Am I misremembering things?

There's not necessarily a great deal of crossover between these fanbases.

They did but there was a pretty big gap between them. BotW in March 2017. XC2 in December 2017.

I think the announcement that there will be all this DLC for Mario Kart 8 is the bigger sign that Nintendo isn't going to do anything about a Switch successor for another couple year. Unless this DLC pack somehow works with Mario Kart 9, it seems like Nintendo is content to just keep selling the Switch for another couple years. And frankly, this Direct didn't look like a console that was winding down. There's still a lot of games getting ported to it even now and it continues to look like the system that can keep offering a lot of gaming experiences of past and present to make any gamer happy. Maybe not the FPS crowd still as a lot of those big name shooters have still stuff with the HD Twins but most other genres are getting well represented here.

Splatoon 3 will be this summer for Switch, XC3 is this fall for Switch. MK8 is getting content into 2023. There will now be a second Fire Emblem Warriors game on the system. Rather than being saved for a new system's library, franchises are starting to do laps on the system. The big question is still whether BotW2 will be released on the Switch or if it will be saved for a successor. If it is released on Switch then I don't think there's a Switch 2 until 2024. The other big indicator would be Mario especially if a 3D Platformer were released this year close to around the time of the Mario movie. Again, I think that would put to rest the notion of Switch 2 until a couple years down the road unless Nintendo feels they have a BotW equivalent piece of software that would get a successor selling without needing to hold back Mario or Zelda. DS went about 6 years and 4 months or so before the 3DS came out. 3DS went 6 years before Switch came out. It continued for another year before sales on software really dropped. If Nintendo is thinking the Switch is a handheld and are going for 6 that years again then that puts us at 2023 but maybe they feel they can go 7, or possibly 8, years on this thing before they need to upgrade the power on it.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2022, 10:06:01 PM »
The big question is still whether BotW2 will be released on the Switch or if it will be saved for a successor. If it is released on Switch then I don't think there's a Switch 2 until 2024. The other big indicator would be Mario especially if a 3D Platformer were released this year close to around the time of the Mario movie. Again, I think that would put to rest the notion of Switch 2 until a couple years down the road unless Nintendo feels they have a BotW equivalent piece of software that would get a successor selling without needing to hold back Mario or Zelda. DS went about 6 years and 4 months or so before the 3DS came out. 3DS went 6 years before Switch came out. It continued for another year before sales on software really dropped. If Nintendo is thinking the Switch is a handheld and are going for 6 that years again then that puts us at 2023 but maybe they feel they can go 7, or possibly 8, years on this thing before they need to upgrade the power on it.

The Switch is on track to be Nintendo's most successful system of all time.  Nobody should be surprised if it has a longer lifespan then previous systems.  The system is about to turn 5 years old and still has yet to receive a price cut.  Breath of the Wild 2 is coming out on the Switch since it'll have close to 130 million units sold, and Breath of the Wild one will have sold over 30 million by March 2023. 

Switch successor isn't coming until early 2024 at the soonest.  Even if Breath of the Wild 2 gets delayed that long, they'll still be a Switch version since Nintendo isn't going to sit on an almost guaranteed 20 million plus seller.  Unless the game ended up needing more powerful hardware to run what they want to do, but if that's the case Nintendo would have announced a Prime 4 style delay to explain why we wont see the game for several years.  Showing that trailer like they did at E3 last year pretty much guaranteed they'll release this on Switch.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2022, 03:50:19 AM »
Did Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 not come out in the same year? Am I misremembering things?

There's not necessarily a great deal of crossover between these fanbases.

Yes, they released in March and December 2017 respectively. We can perhaps assume BOTW was done earlier and held back a bit for the Switch launch, since it seemed mostly done world wise at E3 2016.
So the gap for MonolithSoft likely was a bit longer than 9 months.

I had expected to see MonolithSoft as co-developers on Pokémon Arceus Legends, but there's just minor support staff overlap.
So through a combination of re-use from both BOTW and XC:DE/Future Connected, I think it's feasible to see both BOTE 2 and XC3 in the same calendar year.

A Zelda delay to March 2023 would not surprise me, but the last few years Nintendo hasn't delayed a whole lot of games after slapping a release window on them.
Most recent delay I can think of were Advance Wars Rebootcamp, but prior to that... some Smash DLC? (Not counting Bayo 3 or Prime 4 since neither had ever indicated release windows).

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2022, 07:36:12 PM »
Even the Smash DLC was more of a COVID delay, no?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2022, 06:13:27 AM »
Yeah absolutely. Oh maybe the biggest recent delay was Animal Crossing, actually? That got pushed from holiday 2019 to March 2020, right?

Anyway, ever since... I'd say Paper Mario Origami Prince they've seemingly gotten steadily more cagey with attaching release windows, and it seems like they'll have games basically done before even mentioning release dates by now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2022, 03:02:12 PM »
Yeah, the Switch really hasn't seen that many delays surrounding major titles. It's actually kind of refreshing to not see things constantly pushed back, but it's also a little nerve-wracking to keep wondering "when?".

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2022, 04:23:09 PM »
It's weird that Animal Crossing is popular. It's a good thing, but I remember when the game seemed obscure. But I guess the first one did sell a million copies. Now I walk into Walmart and there is Animal Crossing Monopoly.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2022, 12:21:15 PM »
Anyway, ever since... I'd say Paper Mario Origami Prince they've seemingly gotten steadily more cagey with attaching release windows, and it seems like they'll have games basically done before even mentioning release dates by now.

Most of that is because of Covid making it trickier to plan ahead.  We know Japanese companies in general weren't very well prepared for letting employees work from home, and I'd imagine a company as secretive as Nintendo was even less so.  It's kind of hard to give a solid release date, if there's a chance one of your major team members test positive and cant work for 2 weeks.

It's weird that Animal Crossing is popular. It's a good thing, but I remember when the game seemed obscure. But I guess the first one did sell a million copies. Now I walk into Walmart and there is Animal Crossing Monopoly.

The first Animal Crossing was held back by being a late N64 game that never left Japan, and the second one was a Gamecube game, which also explains a lot.  Of course the N64 game sold over 500k which was really good for late N64 games in the Japanese market, and the Gamecube game did over 2 million worldwide which was really good for a Gamecube game, especially something that was pretty much a new IP in the West.

But when it finally got put on a popular system, the DS, that's when things took off.  Wild World on the DS sold over 11 million copies and New Leaf on the 3DS did close to 13 million.  The crazy thing is just how much it's exploded on the Switch.  New Horizons is already at 37 million copies and growing, which is literally one of the craziest growth in gaming history. 

Of course the even crazier thing is Animal Crossing isn't the only series experiencing this kind of growth, Zelda isn't that far behind.  Before Breath of the Wild, the best selling Zelda was Twilight Princess which was over 8 million if you combined the Wii and Gamecube versions.  Now Breath of the Wild is over 27 million if you combine the Switch and Wii U versions.  Zelda is going to go from a series that could never break the 10 million barrier, to one that will break the 30 million one.

If you really want to have your mind blown, before the Switch, Mario and Pokemon were considered Nintendo's biggest franchises with the best selling Mario being the original at 40 million and the best selling Pokemon being the original Red/Blue/Green at 31 million.  By the time the Switch lifespan is over, Animal Crossing New Horizon will have sold over 40 million, surpassing the original Super Mario Bros and Breath of the Wild will have sold over 31 million, surpassing the original Pokemon.  Of course Mario will still keep his crown since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is at 43 million, and will easily cross the 50 million mark by the time the Switch is dead.  Hell, the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if that game reaches the 60 million mark or beyond.  It already has a crazy attachment rate of over 40% of the Switch 103 million userbase.  If the Switch crosses the 150 million barrier, then it's very possible Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will hit those numbers.

Of course Pokemon is no slouch either since Sword and Shield just recently surpassed the original release of Gold and Silver and is now the 2nd best selling game in it's franchise at close to 24 million.  Mario Odyssey is at 23 million which is still over 10 million more then the previous best selling 3D Mario, the 1st Galaxy game did with close to 13 million.  We also can't forget Smash Bros Ultimate which is at 27 million itself and will cross the 30 million mark in the near future as well.

This is what I mean by the Switch being on a whole different level then previous Nintendo systems.  Nintendo games have always been popular, but when put on a system that doesn't have any of the glaring issues the previous Nintendo system have had, it's become an unstoppable monster.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2022, 02:16:17 PM »
I have one more prediction to toss into the ether, knowing it is too late to count, but just hoping it happens. I think it is time for Capcom to release another Mega Man collection. I think Legends or Battle Network would be great collections on Switch. I have played, and own, all the Legends games so I would prefer Battle Network. They are on the Wii U e-Shop and I picked up the first one, but I doubt I will get them all there.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2022, 01:32:42 PM »
But if they do a Mega Man Legends collection, they could include the unreleased Legends 3 (though I forget how complete it was before being canned).

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2022, 03:09:33 PM »
But if they do a Mega Man Legends collection, they could include the unreleased Legends 3 (though I forget how complete it was before being canned).
I think it was pretty complete but in a Star Fox 2 situation, where it still looked like a PS1 game and PS2 was out. Of course, the originals look bad so I don't think people would mind. Yes, If Legends 3 was fair game, I reverse my decision. You hear me Capcom?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2022, 03:11:42 PM »
Has BOTW2 been delayed yet?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2022, 03:42:33 PM »
Y’all are wild.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2022, 04:35:41 PM »
Y’all are wild.

Wild in what way? Good predictions? Bad predictions? Liking Paper Mario Color Splash? We need elaboration.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2022, 12:53:17 PM »
I just realised that if the current pattern holds, the next generation of Pokémon games is due this November. That's what I should have predicted! No one else did so, even. I guess there are numerous circumstances why that may be delayed this time though, including how Legends might factor in.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2022, 01:43:15 PM »
I just realised that if the current pattern holds, the next generation of Pokémon games is due this November. That's what I should have predicted! No one else did so, even. I guess there are numerous circumstances why that may be delayed this time though, including how Legends might factor in.

With Pokémon Day approaching, the announcement or initial tease should be soon. There's a SwSh announcement coming tomorrow according to Serebii, so the DLC might've been a stronger bet. That and the launch of Arceus really make it tough to expect Gen 9.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2022, 01:31:29 PM »
I just realised that if the current pattern holds, the next generation of Pokémon games is due this November. That's what I should have predicted!
Aw fubblegrotten, now I really wish this were part of my "official" predictions! Especially since no one else did.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2022, 05:11:51 PM »
Well with the new Pokemon also being open-world, I guess Nintendo doesn't have a problem releasing 2 major open-world titles later this year.  So I was wrong about Nintendo not wanting to releasing Breath of the Wild 2 right after Xenoblade 3, since they're releasing an open-world Pokemon right after instead.

Of course now it becomes, will they release 3 open-world titles that close to each other?  Xenoblade is aimed at an older audience then Pokemon, so there's less overlap, but Zelda kind of draws the line between both franchises.  Plus Breath of the Wild has made Zelda the bigger franchise, with Breath of the Wild selling better then Pokemon Sword and Shield.  Breath of the Wild 2 hype is going go overshadow both games, which is already pretty crazy when a new Pokemon generation is already big enough to carry a holiday season on its own.

So with a new Pokemon gen coming later this year, even if it being open-world hurts some of my argument for Zelda not coming out this year, it also brings with it a whole new reason why Breath of the Wild 2 is likely to be a Spring 2023 game as well.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2022, 08:10:09 PM »
I wish I'd known about this before I went and predicted that BotW2 would release this year! I agree it's looking less and less likely the more we see about the upcoming releases. I guess you never know though, crazy things can happen...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2022, 10:12:20 AM »
At this point even if Breath of the Wild 2 is a 2023 title, does it even matter?  We're not even at E3 yet which normally announces some new games for the second half as well.  2022 is looking to be one of the most packed years in Nintendo history.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2022, 01:16:07 PM »
Yes it matters! If BotW2 doesn't release this year, then it means I will be w.... wr... w-w-w-wr.... WRONG!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2022, 01:39:46 PM »
Yes it matters! If BotW2 doesn't release this year, then it means I will be w.... wr... w-w-w-wr.... WRONG!

aka almost correct.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2022, 02:43:29 PM »
I wish I'd known about this before I went and predicted that BotW2 would release this year! I agree it's looking less and less likely the more we see about the upcoming releases. I guess you never know though, crazy things can happen...

I knew that if the cycle continued that this would be the year for the next generation of Pokemon and thought about it when making my predictions but I decided that with both Diamond and Pearl and Arceus launching so close together, along with my expectation that Switch 2 is possibly spring 2023, I really thought they might finally buck their trend and wait to release them next year. Not to mention that they are developing for an HD console now and Sword/Shield seemed like a bit of a struggle along with possible delays and setbacks from Covid which seemed to slow Nintendo's output for awhile. I expected there'd still be some kind of Pokemon game put out which is why I went with a spin-off title prediction. I guess there is just no stopping the Pokemon train!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2022, 03:43:02 PM »
I had to scramble to get in my predictions on time before the Direct hit, so I didn't have much time to think and plan everything out.

Yeah yeah, I know you're going to argue that "Maybe you should have been visiting the forums all this time and you could have seen this topic and had plenty of time to plan out your responses" and blah blah blah FINE WHATEVER you win again Khushrenada!