Community Forums > General Chat

The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread

<< < (3/89) > >>

ShyGuy:
I check my temperature every day now.

BeautifulShy:

--- Quote from: Ian Sane on March 13, 2020, 12:10:38 PM ---So here in Canada the Prime Minister's wife has been diagnosed with the virus.

My brother had a co-worker blow off feeling under the weather and insisting that he can't afford to miss work so he's going to come in no matter what.  I should point out that this guy makes a lot more than my brother, who can afford to miss work for a few weeks, and has no real excuse for being in such dire financial shape.  My brother pointed out to him that it isn't about him getting sick, it's about getting other people sick.  I'm young enough and in good enough health that I'm not concerned about getting the virus myself.  I'm concerned about infecting my parents who are 70 and are on that bubble where there is serious risk of death.  I'm also concerned about my grandpa who's in his 90's and would almost certainly not survive such an illness.

Personally I had a cold a few weeks ago and was worried as hell about it.  Kept myself away from the outside world.  It died down after a few days but a stubborn cough remains.  I have asthma and it is normal for colds to flare that up and leave me with a lingering cough for weeks after.  There is no fever and wasn't one even when the cold was at its worse and that seems to be a key symptom.  I bought a thermometer and my temperature is normal.  I had a big sneezing fit this morning and my nose was running like crazy during my cold, which is not a symptom of the virus.

--- End quote ---

Yeah that is a bit scary about the prime ministers wife.  As for your brother's coworker that is a bit wreckless if you can afford to miss work.  Quick question Ian... Is there a plan in place to have some sort of paid leave for citizens of Canada or is it a company by company basis?

ShyGuy I guess the best one can do is be cautious.

Ian Sane:

--- Quote from: BeautifulShy on March 13, 2020, 04:53:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ian Sane on March 13, 2020, 12:10:38 PM ---So here in Canada the Prime Minister's wife has been diagnosed with the virus.

My brother had a co-worker blow off feeling under the weather and insisting that he can't afford to miss work so he's going to come in no matter what.  I should point out that this guy makes a lot more than my brother, who can afford to miss work for a few weeks, and has no real excuse for being in such dire financial shape.  My brother pointed out to him that it isn't about him getting sick, it's about getting other people sick.  I'm young enough and in good enough health that I'm not concerned about getting the virus myself.  I'm concerned about infecting my parents who are 70 and are on that bubble where there is serious risk of death.  I'm also concerned about my grandpa who's in his 90's and would almost certainly not survive such an illness.

Personally I had a cold a few weeks ago and was worried as hell about it.  Kept myself away from the outside world.  It died down after a few days but a stubborn cough remains.  I have asthma and it is normal for colds to flare that up and leave me with a lingering cough for weeks after.  There is no fever and wasn't one even when the cold was at its worse and that seems to be a key symptom.  I bought a thermometer and my temperature is normal.  I had a big sneezing fit this morning and my nose was running like crazy during my cold, which is not a symptom of the virus.

--- End quote ---

Yeah that is a bit scary about the prime ministers wife.  As for your brother's coworker that is a bit wreckless if you can afford to miss work.  Quick question Ian... Is there a plan in place to have some sort of paid leave for citizens of Canada or is it a company by company basis?

ShyGuy I guess the best one can do is be cautious.

--- End quote ---

I don't know of any plan.  So far there are some travel restrictions and a lot of suggestions but not much in strict policy yet regarding the virus.  I'm in a weird situation in that I already work from home so for me it's business as usual so I haven't really looked into it that much.  There are laws regarding sick time and you get paid for that but I'm not sure the details in regards to salary workers vs. wage workers.  Of course sick time would probably only come into play if you were infected.  I don't know how it works for a healthy person that has been told to not come in to work.

Shaymin:
We have a pretty robust employment insurance plan up here and they're expediting claims for it, so that is an option. Source

Stratos:
Just an FYI for folks in the US, you can file for unemployment if your hours are cut because of this even if you aren't laid off. Read a thread about it on r/personalfinance so be sure you know your rights.

Also, some states offer paid medical leave for the general population. Here in Washington State they enacted a law to provide some sick leave on top of that as well so look into all your local options to stay healthy and away from unnecessary risks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version