Author Topic: Opera 9 = sex  (Read 4878 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
Opera 9 = sex
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:08:23 PM »
Super fast page loading. Built-in BitTorrent. Plus pages that actually load properly, no built in ads, mouse gestures, OS X-like widgets, the assumption that you actually use tabs instead of seperate windows, pop-up blocking, zoom, a list of the top ten sites you visit when you click on the address bar, and all that other nice stuff.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go use the $100 Opera just paid me to go and make sure the comparison in the thread title is accurate.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: Opera 9 = sex
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:44:25 AM »
Find out if it is possible to .. "operate" both at the same time.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 05:10:16 AM »
IE7 Beta 2 has all that except for the built-in BT, mouse gestures (Wtf is that anyway?), OSX-like widgets (again, Wtf is that anyway?).

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:45:25 AM »
And firefox is still better!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 06:46:43 AM »
BROWSER ELITISM>>>>

Firefox has been pissing me off lately.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
RE:Opera 9 = sex
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 07:17:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
And firefox is still better!
listen! ^^

I still prefer FF

and IE has always been, and always will be crap...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 07:37:04 AM »
I don't see any strong reason to switch from Firefox considering how generally pleased I am with it, and the fact that I have hundereds of URLs contained in their ad blocker service.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 08:43:37 AM »
good to see ms is copying the mouse gestures finally, I can't stand old versions of IE, once you start using mouse gestures theres no going back. It has been a bit tricky for me because Opera and Firefox have different ones and I use both, but I already memorized the most important ones for both of them, they are probably customizable (word?) but Im too lazy to search.

oh mouse gestures are gestures done to browse more intuitively, if I explain them it would seem they are confusing, but the truth is that once you get used to them the old way of browsing is unbearable, give it a try!

Oh theres also the voice option which is very convenienent for a non native-speaker like me.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 09:42:08 AM »
Opera 9 == sux. It reloads some pages when pushing "back". I've set its cache updating to "never" but it still reloads e.g. the Slashdot thread pages when I go back after posting a comment which is annoying since the page changes and the window no longer is where you left off. Also it ALWAYS reloads ads which can take a few seconds in which the page isn't displayed properly even if the document itself isn't reloaded.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 12:27:30 PM »
Is Opera's aggressive caching broken in 9, or have they abandoned it in favor of the other browsers' behavior? That's always been one of the major reasons I use it, even while having broadband for years. I can't stand slow pages within a tab's history. Opera's interface has always beaten the hell out of IE's and Firefox's in speed and ease of use, would hate to see something like that slowing it down.

I think I'll stick with 8 for awhile, since they tend to screw up major releases.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 03:04:54 PM »
Opera 9 really is great, but then again I use a Mac. On my PC/Linux Box I tend to use Firefox because it has become comfortable over the many years I have used it. A word to the wise, if anyone out there uses Firefox on the Mac switch ASAP, you will see a HUGE performace increase.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 09:57:56 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Opera 9 == sux. It reloads some pages when pushing "back". I've set its cache updating to "never" but it still reloads e.g. the Slashdot thread pages when I go back after posting a comment which is annoying since the page changes and the window no longer is where you left off. Also it ALWAYS reloads ads which can take a few seconds in which the page isn't displayed properly even if the document itself isn't reloaded.

This can be changed

Originally posted by: Caliban
IE7 Beta 2 has all that except for the built-in BT, mouse gestures (Wtf is that anyway?), OSX-like widgets (again, Wtf is that anyway?).

widgets, mouse gestures.

Basically, there are three reasons to go with Opera: faster loading than anyone else currently, built-in BitTorrent, and a bunch of features which, while you can generally get them as plugins for firefox, are built right in to the browser with Opera. I just found out it comes with full adblock, for example, when I thought it only had pop-up blocking. The thing just oozes with features.

On the other hand, Opera's cluttered, almost MS-like interface is starting to bug me. I guess there are always skins and such to take care of that, though...
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 04:55:31 AM »
Why didn't they throw that into the preferences dialog?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 06:02:37 AM »
Opera's entire interface is very confusing and poorly organized. It has a ton of features none of which are easily accessible. It took me around 2 hours of tinkering to really figure the thing out and make it look the way I wanted it to look. Opera reminds me of Linux, tons of features, great speed and generally an excellent alternative to the competitors, but they both lack ease of use, have way too many hard to find preferences and take way to much tinkering to be at a stage where you are happy.

Granted I do use Opera on my mac as I stated before but it took awhile until I was happy with it, but it outperformed Firefox on so many levels I had no choice but to switch.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 06:07:34 AM »
Yeah, those widgets sure are cool!

But seriously... is Opera 9 any better on standards compliance or is it still the third browser?  I will still be using firefox.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 07:13:55 AM »
That URL is invalid, you shouldn't put https// in front of your links.

is Opera 9 any better on standards compliance or is it still the third browser?

How's about ACID 2 compliant? Opera is more standards compliant than FF.

Offline Chzn8r

• Pwningest Pirate Ever
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 11:58:05 AM »
I'm still using Opera 7, because I hated some of the interface changes in 8.

Shoot, though, they're already on 9?

Am I really missing out being 2 versions behind? Opera 7 has basically always worked right and done everything for me, with the occasional page loading error. But the lightning fast backwards and forwards have kept me pleased to this day.

EDIT: Also, can the keyboard shortcuts be changed? I want ctrl+n to still be new tab, not new window, since I almost never ever need a second Opera window open.
Wear the grudge like a crown/ of negativity calculate what we will/ and will not tolerate desperate to control/ all and everything unable to forgive/ your scarlet letterman
WEAR THE GRUDGE LIKE A CROWN!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 07:34:15 PM »
The key config can be changed in 9. Not sure that was possible in 8.

Offline Chzn8r

• Pwningest Pirate Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 07:45:06 PM »
Yeah, I've got basically everything down pat and ready to start using Opera 9. All preferences set and I've got the look 98% close to what I had with Opera 7, except one thing (the small things annoy me). However I'd need to post a picture to describe it, and that's probably not worth it.
Wear the grudge like a crown/ of negativity calculate what we will/ and will not tolerate desperate to control/ all and everything unable to forgive/ your scarlet letterman
WEAR THE GRUDGE LIKE A CROWN!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 07:37:24 AM »
I wonder if they fixed it so you can use it behind an ISA server without any tweaking.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 08:35:14 AM »
One nice new feature is that you can have more site-specific options so I can tell it to enable Flash for Weebls Stuff and Homestar Runner instead of manually enabling it each time I go to one of those sites. And it's easier to add sites to your cookie whitelist since the site-specific options dialogue is now in the context menu.