Author Topic: Rock  (Read 38997 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
RE:Rock
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2006, 09:51:18 AM »
you're back???
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Chzn8r

• Pwningest Pirate Ever
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2006, 10:25:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala
some of the band you listed there aren't really rock...but whatever...

I prefer metal, the favorites being:
Rage, Metallica, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani

other, non-metal favorites (rock most of them):
AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Iron Maiden, Green Day, Buitres, La Trampa, Cuarteto de Nos

(side note, you won't know the last three )

Father my children! (In a completely hetereo-man way, I assure you)

Metallica, Nightwish, SONATA, DT, Satch, Iron Maiden, Green Day. <3

*Ahem* Excuse me. I'm a huge fan of *almost* all things metal. I don't really like Nu-metal or Black Metal, but anything else is good. Progressive Metal (Dream Theater, Tool, Pain of Salvation, Opeth, Fates Warning), Death Metal (though more melo-death), Power Metal (Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish), Thrash Metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pantera, Sepultura), classic metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Queensryche) etc...
Ok enough name dropping. Basically, I'm into a lot of things that combine any of the following (usually around a rock sound, that rock/jazz fusion is sweet too): Complexity, memorable/catchy melody (both with the lead instruments and the vocals), intelligent lyrics (depends on the genre), fun/rhythmic/groovy bass and drums, technical complexity, controlled energy (not just "raw loud energy"), and not necessarily "talent" as far as the members go but just the ability for the instruments to compliment each others' sounds and for the band to have at least *something* special or different about them, even if it's only one trait (the singer's tone, the drummer's fills, or the guitarist's solos or lack thereof).
I use a lot of parentheses.
Wear the grudge like a crown/ of negativity calculate what we will/ and will not tolerate desperate to control/ all and everything unable to forgive/ your scarlet letterman
WEAR THE GRUDGE LIKE A CROWN!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Rock
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2006, 10:35:57 AM »
I saw a music video for Opeth once.  It took me almost three minutes before I figured out the lead singer was a woman.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2006, 12:24:26 PM »
easycure:

yes, im back. I was mad as H***, went to gamefaqs, and once finding it was not as open or fun, came back. So yes, i am glad to back.

Besides, i thought u were cool.

not sure now.
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2006, 12:43:57 PM »
Im finally replying to Hostile Creation after hearing a bit of Mars Volta. They arent bad, but i dont think they sound that great live. Maybe it was just the song, because in only heard one. I also heard 2 of their slow songs, they are okay. Nothing new. I wish the next queen would come out of this generation. Really, i do.
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!

Offline Chzn8r

• Pwningest Pirate Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2006, 05:52:50 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
I saw a music video for Opeth once.  It took me almost three minutes before I figured out the lead singer was a woman.

Very funny. Mikael Akerfeldt is probably more man than you AND your father and wouldn't hesitate to beat you for saying that
Wear the grudge like a crown/ of negativity calculate what we will/ and will not tolerate desperate to control/ all and everything unable to forgive/ your scarlet letterman

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2006, 08:23:23 AM »
Wait a minute, nevermind.  I just realized I was thinking of Otep.  Sorry for the mixup.  I've never heard of your band.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2006, 08:53:24 AM »
nice options there, Chzn8r

I heard Tool is really good, but haven't got the chance to listen to them yet...

and I forgot to add on the non-metal stuff, that any OST done by Kaijura Yuki rules and I really love them ^^
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:05 AM »

Originally posted by: please let me in, please
easycure:

yes, im back. I was mad as H***, went to gamefaqs, and once finding it was not as open or fun, came back. So yes, i am glad to back.

Besides, i thought u were cool.

not sure now.

i am cool

last i heard from you was that thread where you said you were leaving, i was merely suprised to see you back. thats all.

and if anyone likes speed metal, check out Rhapsody. i found there cd buried in my collection a few days ago after not listening to it for a few years and i forgot how good they are. the only cd by them i have is Legendary Tales but i've heard other albums and they're all good. also i recently discovered DragonForce and they are good too, but i prefer Rhapsody. check em out
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »
Easycure...

its okay homedog, you is tight.

So anyone in the g fistle mon nistle?

word up to yo mammas homies.

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2006, 05:15:05 PM »
I just now realized homeslices, that my chemical romance is not that good. Sure, Helena was excellently played and had great vocals, and ghost of you is an extremely good song and amazing video ( one of the best around), but they have too many fillers on their cds. Only a few are worth listening to, and the others sound thrown in and hardly worked on. Maybe because im not into the punk area that much, but it doesnt reach me. Also, they SUCK live. THEY SUCK SO BADLY ITS HILARIOUS.  

Offline Chzn8r

• Pwningest Pirate Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »
@EasyCure: I love Power Metal- the genre includes Rhapsody and Dragonforce- but I really really very strongly dislike both of those two bands, for a few different reasons, but mostly they are just way too cheesey for me to handle. Rhapsody is over the top with the operatic singing about dragons and battles and the like, and DF are too, with both of their singers annoying the hell outta me. Don't get me wrong, at least Rhapsody's frontman Fabio is a talented guy, but I really dislike is tone. And DF's singer just sounds like a chipmunk with his balls too tight inside his chainmail armor.
Along those lines, other power metal bands that are just waaay too much for me: Hammerfall, Manowar.
Ironically though, I love Luca Turilli, which is the guitarist from Rhapsody's side project. Specifically their second album. It's still pretty lame in terms of lyrics (lots of warrior stuff) but it has much better use of keyboards, and I like the singer's voice in that band much moreso.

« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »
PLEASE, EVERYONE, HEAR MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE LIVE. its funny.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2006, 01:52:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Chzn8r
@EasyCure: I love Power Metal- the genre includes Rhapsody and Dragonforce- but I really really very strongly dislike both of those two bands, for a few different reasons, but mostly they are just way too cheesey for me to handle. Rhapsody is over the top with the operatic singing about dragons and battles and the like, and DF are too, with both of their singers annoying the hell outta me. Don't get me wrong, at least Rhapsody's frontman Fabio is a talented guy, but I really dislike is tone. And DF's singer just sounds like a chipmunk with his balls too tight inside his chainmail armor.
Along those lines, other power metal bands that are just waaay too much for me: Hammerfall, Manowar.
Ironically though, I love Luca Turilli, which is the guitarist from Rhapsody's side project. Specifically their second album. It's still pretty lame in terms of lyrics (lots of warrior stuff) but it has much better use of keyboards, and I like the singer's voice in that band much moreso.

those same reasons you dislike those bands are the reasons i LOVE THEM. i dont take them seriously at all beacuse you're right, they are so over the top with the cheese that you just cant take them seriously. the musicians are all great and very talented but hearing "dungeons and dragons" metal is just funny to me. oooh manowar is good too, since again they are over the top with the costumes and such.

oh and please let me in, please:
pleasedon't call MCR a punk band again, please

also, your name reminds me of a Smiths song called "please please please (let me get what i want)" which is really good. listen to that one.

« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2006, 03:17:12 PM »
How come noone ever talks about Black Sabbath or Megadeath? Those guys ROCK.  Especially Megadeath. GO BUY A CD. YOUR MIND IS TELLING YOU TO.  panteras not bad either, just not one of my favorites. Heard a little of tool, their ok.

Anyone here play an instrument? I dont, but i write lyrics, short storys, novels and all that crap. I also like to make movies (on a windows media movie player). Just wondered if anyone plays an instrument, my brother plays guitar and piano. Hes okay on the piano, but is extremely good with the guitar.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2006, 03:45:22 PM »
try reading some of the older post. i asked that question before and a few people responded. actually you even responded

Offline Chzn8r

• Pwningest Pirate Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2006, 07:57:09 PM »
I totally mentioned Megadeth earlier! I'm not a big fan but at least a growing one. I've seen them live once and they just totally rocked my face off.
The albums Peace Sells through Countdown to Extinction are all absolute classics, and I really think they made a good comeback with "The System Has Failed"

« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »
To Chzn8r:

It has come to my attention that you have been to a megadeath concert, and that it rocked your face off (yeah). Please go into detail of this fabulous event, for i have not been blessed to enter. You hold a few of their cds, and that makes you like you more ( as a friend). I sadly have only one, BUT IT ROCKS!!!!!!!! It is The System has Failed. My favorite song is The Scorpion. Which one has Symphony of Destruction on it? I am definatly getting that one. See you at a later time my fellow rocker,

Please... ect.

P.S. Why does everyone hate on Nickelback? I think they sound awesome, especially their heavier songs. Side of a Bullet, is their greatest work ever. Its an amazing song, with a good solo. LISTEN TO IT. Also, im going to a Nickelback concert at the Alltel Arena in Arkansas. Just letting you know just in case theyre in your area, oh, and Hoobastank is opening for them. ( they arent that good in my opinion though.)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2006, 12:24:39 PM »
Nickelback has the bad fortune of being overexposed and having too many similar-sounding contemporaries.

Around the same time as Nickelback became popular, I started hearing from Theory of a Deadman, Default, etc., and they all blended together into a dull, low-voiced soup to me.  All of them get too much play on the radio, and so I get annoyed when I hear any of them.  They aren't necessarily bad bands, but it's hard for me to give a band a chance when I don't love them in the first place and then I keep hearing the same stupid songs over and over and over again.

Symphony of Destruction is on Countdown to Extinction, the only Megadeth album I own.  I kind of lost interest after that.

The last rockin' rock concert I went to was the Tea Party.  According to this one dude that was standing by me, there's always a thunderstorm when they play outdoors, and he thinks the lead singer prays to pagan gods to make that happen.  It's a funny story, at least (and there WAS a thunder storm while we were there).   The Tea Party rules, although they're starting to get a lot quieter as they age.  That's okay with me, I like quiet and soft too, but overall I think they were better at loud and hard.

The last concert in general was...mmm...Garbage!  They were awesome live.  Shirley Manson threatened to personally fight a drunk that was causing trouble in the crowd.  They were opened by a pretty cool L.A. band called TheStart.  Kind of alternative rock with a dash of 80s rock-pop.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »
I will admit that they have quite a few similar sounding songs, but with the Long Road and All the Right Reasons, they tried to change that, and they are both good albums. The Long Road has heavier songs, and they are all good, the best in my perosnal opinion being Because of You. All the Right reasons tried many different things. Such as the use of a keyboard, and very strange tuning. This album has Side of a Bullet, which is my favorite Nickelback song, and its their heaviest to date. Even though the album is good, while trying to be different, it had too much keyboard and light rock. It has 3 heavy songs, all three being good, but the rest is a softer blend sounding slightly the same. Still give them a chance though.  

Offline Chzn8r

• Pwningest Pirate Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2006, 02:27:39 PM »
Setlist (roughly, may not be in order) from when I saw Megadeth. They played for an hour and a half (as it was a large festival):

Blackmail The Universe
Set The World Afire
Skin O' My Teeth
In My Darkest Hour
Wake Up Dead
Angry Again
She Wolf
Die Dead Enough
Tornado Of Souls
Trust
Sweating Bullets
The Scorpion
Hangar 18
Kick The Chair
Symphony Of Destruction
-----------------
Peace Sells
Holy Wars

Basically, only the absolute best stuff. No ****in' around. Just balls to the wall thrash metal.

« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2006, 03:13:10 PM »
coolio. Think i might go to a concert. PLEASE WATCH MCR LIVE, (not at a concert,on the computer. I would recommend watching the aol live version of Helena. ITS HILARIOUS).

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2006, 03:26:12 PM »
wow. This thread is slowly dieing.

Offline Darkstar

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2006, 05:17:06 PM »
yup....................sure is....................yea  
muwahahaha

« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2006, 01:44:01 PM »
I finally got something new. My friend went a few places, and got some demo cds. 1 only had a song, and ive heard it. Just Stop by Disturbed. I still borrowed it so i can put it on my computer. Another one had 2 songs, each the same, except one was from the album and the other was the radio version. It was called rapture by hurt. I listened, never hearing of the band, causing me to not expect much. I loved the song though. The singer was different, and i liked it. There was some good harmony between him and the backup singer, drums were excellent, and the lyrics did it for me. They were very well thought out. The chorus was extremely good. I only had 1 problem: Lack of a solo. So if anyone has heard of the band hurt, or has any of their cds, can you clue me in? He had more cds, but i didnt get to listend to them.