Author Topic: Official DS Sales Thread  (Read 694963 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #2150 on: July 17, 2006, 08:47:54 PM »
I think you're selling Bungie a little short when you posit that Halo 3 will have very few selling points over Halo 2. Besides, Halo is an epic trilogy. The third game has a lot of built-in appeal and egaerness just around how they intend to wrap up the story and the Master Chief's purpose of being.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #2151 on: July 17, 2006, 09:24:01 PM »
I see what you guys are saying, and it makes sense. I guess I'm a little hard-headed.

I'm sure it'll sell alot of titles, and give people a reason to pick up a 360, but it won't reach killer-app status by reeling in the same group of fish it caught last time.

That's all I'm saying.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Neodymium

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: July 18, 2006, 05:26:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I think you're selling Bungie a little short when you posit that Halo 3 will have very few selling points over Halo 2. Besides, Halo is an epic trilogy. The third game has a lot of built-in appeal and egaerness just around how they intend to wrap up the story and the Master Chief's purpose of being.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Yeah.. it's not going to happen. They won't just "end the series." Any series popular enough to warrant a sequel will continue to be made. Maybe not "Halo 4," but "Halo: The Tale of That Black Captain Guy" or "Halo: Kovenant Kart." Just like Jak and Daxter was supposed to end after Jak and Daxter 3.

Do you think MS would allow that phenomenon to end and them to stop making heaps and heaps of money? That's like ending Pokemon. Even Monkey Island (bless the name) was popular enough to warrant a third and fourth game despite Ron Gilbert's intention to have a trilogy. His vision for the third game was thrown out the window and the series will come out (at increasingly slow intervals ) for a while.  
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: July 18, 2006, 06:24:10 AM »
I predict that after Halo 3 Bungie will want to stop making Halo games and will for a while.  Before long Microsoft will begin trying to force them to make a sequel and the people in Bungie will get pissed.  Ever since they were bought by microsoft they only made Halo so they have yet to have the problems that first parties who want to move on typically have.  After fighting with with Microsoft for some time about making another Halo and taking too long with other games most of the top people at Bungie will leave and form a new company essentially getting rid of who allowed Bungie to make great games like Myth and Halo.

This happens to first party companies all the time (Rare) and is a reason why I like how Nintendo cares about keeping the people behind the games and not the companies themselves.  

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: July 18, 2006, 08:13:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
If they'd just hurry up and release Halo 3, they'd sell a f*ckload more units.

Prey and others like it are great games and all, but you can get them on the PC for cheaper and you can have mods and mouse and keyboard. It's going to take the exclusive "killer app" to truly get the 360s off the shelves and that app is, without question, Halo 3.

Meh...

I don't agree with that statement.

I believe Halo does NOT have the selling power it use to. When it first came to the Xbox, it was a very solid multi-player FPS with vehicles and an engine we hadn't yet seen. It was fresh and well-rounded. And most importantly, it was new.

Ever since it's arrival, there have been more and more FPS's than ever before. These other games just flooded the market, so much so, that even when we played Halo 2, it left a stale taste in our mouth. You can see exactly what I mean with the "sand-box" genre that GTA created. Nobody bought GTA: PSP, and for a good reason.

As popular as Halo is, I don't think it'll become the killer app Microsoft intends it to be. Unless it's vastly more innovative and more fun to play, I think Halo owners will be content with the setup they already have (or at least until the 360 is cheaper and has other notable games as well). I could very well be wrong, but I don't think it will have the selling power Halo once did.

And to generalize a bit, I don't think the 360 is doing a very good job selling them to previous xbox owners period. $400 dollars for a system that is a marginal improvement above your old system isn't going to sell you one. I see people sitting on the fence with the mentality "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The Halo franchise may not have as much selling power as it use to when Halo 2 came out, but its selling power is still very high if not the highest at this moment.

Sure, there have been many FPS that were released since Halo 2, but NONE of them were able to do what Halo 2 did in terms of sales or hype.  So many of these new FPS tried to be the 'Halo-killer' and every single on of them failed and all it did was actually make the Halo franchise even stronger rather than weakening it.  The Halo franchise has not weaken itself like GTA has.

I don't know where you're getting that nobody bought GTA:PSP when globally, it has sold around 2.8 million.

The Halo franchise will always be Microsoft's #1 killer app.  If people were content with their set up, they wouldn't have bought Halo 2 when its clear that Halo 2 didn't do anything better than Halo 1, but people still bought it in mass.  The same thing will happen with Halo 3.  

The Halo franchise was never really innovative in the first place besides the focus on driving but that never really was the point.  What Halo did was take the existing console FPS genre and improved on it.

There are so many people in the Halo community that will only buy a 360 for Halo 3 and nothing else.

The 360 isn't going to sell itself to the Halo crowd on its own merits, but Halo 3 will be what sells them a 360.  

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: July 18, 2006, 12:54:53 PM »

I don't know where you're getting that nobody bought GTA:PSP when globally, it has sold around 2.8 million.

Which is to say it has a third of the selling potential as... say... Nintendogs.  Another thing to note is that GTA:LCS did not push many PSP sales out the door.  In fact, when it was released alongside MarioKart DS, MK: DS sold more, and the DS itself sold more.  And in comparison to what GTA usually does, it can be considered a colossal failure which required Take 2 to port it to the PS2, where it even bombed there this month, selling less than CARS (total) and a month old Platformer for the DS. (NSMB)

I think Ian put it best... (IAN?!).  Yes Ian.  In his volumes of indecipherable rambling, a few gems to get loose, hardened by the years of angry compression.  Anyhoo, he said that the reason GTA on the PSP may not be so enticing as for the console version is because of the buy-in to enjoy what is basically the same game (and technically, it was).  Getting a PS2 for GTAIII was necessary because the idea was fresh.  The sequels just sold as sequels do.  However, crafting a similar experience on a handheld and then charging $300 (PSP and game) to play it was kinda nutty, especiall since you could get a PS2 and ALL of the GTA games, including the one the PSP game is based on, for less than that.  So GTA: LCS only sold to the hardest of hardcore GTA fans, which, in America, only amounts to about 1.16 million, a significant amount, but less than 1/7 of what it used to be.  Nintendogs sold more than twice as much, and subsequently Mario Kart DS and SM64DS sold more.

But as for people completing the "Halo Triology" by getting a 360 for it, I think two things need to be put up for consideration:

1) How many Xbox 360's have been sold in anticipation of Halo 3 to begin with?
2) how many of those people will be willing to shed out $460 (the price all total) to get Halo 3?

While I have no doubt in my mind that Halo 3 will sell units, I think that it possibly may not sell as much as it used to or move as many Xbox 360's as one might expect.

But anyway, LOL DS sales.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: July 18, 2006, 06:47:17 PM »
I think this thread is in serious need of some DS #'s to re-rail this thread....

BestBuy.Com Top 10 - July 9th to July 15th
gamespot.com

1. New Super Mario Bros. DS
2. Brain Age:Train Your Brain DS

3. Prey 360
4. Chromehounds 360
5. 2006 FIFA World Cup PS2
6. Big Brain Academy DS
7. Fifa 06 PS2
8. Naruto:Ultimate Ninja PS2
9. GRAW 360
10. 2006 FIFA World Cup Xbox

DS hold 3 of the Top 10 and 2 of the Top 2
I don't think Halo 3 will be able to match NSMB is pure selling power and profit potential

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: July 18, 2006, 07:11:57 PM »
Sorry BnM, but I gots to do this....

Originally posted by: Magik

The Halo franchise will always be Microsoft's #1 killer app.  If people were content with their set up, they wouldn't have bought Halo 2 when its clear that Halo 2 didn't do anything better than Halo 1, but people still bought it in mass.  The same thing will happen with Halo 3.

One word: Online.

There are so many people in the Halo community that will only buy a 360 for Halo 3 and nothing else.

So you agree that Microsoft is fishing in their own pond? I guess that's good. But I'm surprised that so many of Microsoft's fans do not own a 360.

The 360 can't even sell to the majority of it's fans? But I digress...

I'm guessing that's the states right? Pretty damn good!

"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: July 19, 2006, 10:02:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
Sorry BnM, but I gots to do this....

Originally posted by: Magik

One word: Online.

So you agree that Microsoft is fishing in their own pond? I guess that's good. But I'm surprised that so many of Microsoft's fans do not own a 360.

The 360 can't even sell to the majority of it's fans? But I digress...

I'm guessing that's the states right? Pretty damn good!

I personally wouldn't consider the online portion of Halo 2 as an advantage considering how broken the damn thing is.

Actually, if you check out the Halo community from the speed runners, tricksters and campaign freaks, you'll notice that a lot of them are not Microsoft fans and are just plain Halo fans.  A lot of people are just interested in only Halo similar to how there's a large population that are only interested in Zelda and not specifically the console its on.

Anyways, enough Halo talk.  Back to DS sales.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: July 19, 2006, 12:47:33 PM »
You know doesn't Halo one of the games that won't work on a 360?  First I Release Halo 3.  Then the whole trilogy a year later for the 360.  At that point it be best to stop.  Like Star Wars (movies) or Metriod.  Let people long for the game a gen and then give them what they want.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: July 19, 2006, 12:51:17 PM »
I'm almost positive Halo and Halo 2 both work on the 360.  I can't believe Microsoft would let those games slip those the very large cracks in their backwards compatibility.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: July 19, 2006, 12:55:43 PM »
Your right.  I remember a stink about it not to long ago.  I guess they fixed it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: July 19, 2006, 07:54:41 PM »
In yet another attempt to "re-rail" this thread,
the Pink DS Lite and Cuisine Navigator came out today.
Supposedly HUGE lines have formed to be the 1 of the 1st to own a pink DS lite(and hopefully Cuisine Navi)
Expect DS #'s to be rather large next week when they are released

edit: Pictures from famitsu
&
More pictures from Dengeki

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: July 19, 2006, 10:50:57 PM »
Media Create July 10th - 16th

1 PS2 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 13 - 151,906 / NEW
2 NDS New Super Mario Bros. - 119,190 / 2,256,870
3 PS2 Persona 3 - 116,682 / NEW
4 PS2 Sarugetchu Million Monkeys - 57,255 / NEW
5 NDS Brain Age 2 - 52,024 / 2,752,211
6 NDS Project Hacker - 37,165 / NEW
7 PSP LocoRoco - 31,848 / NEW
8 NDS Brain Age - 31,549 / 2,539,922
9 NDS Naruto RPG 3 - 26518 / NEW
10 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 25,746 / 2,937,042
~
11 PSP Quiz Mobile Gundam DX / NEW
12 PS2 Winning Eleven 10
13 NDS English Training
14 PSP Tekken DR
15 NDS Tetris DS
16 PS2 Xenosaga EP III
17 NDS Rockman ZX
18 NDS Pokemon Ranger
19 NDS Mario Kart DS
20 NDS Digimon Story
21 PS2 Super Dragon Ball Z
22 PS2 VP2 Silmeria
23 PSP my Summer Vacation
24 PSP Brave Story
25 NDS Big Brain Academy
26 NDS Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Best Price
27 PSP SCE Science Kenkyuujou
28 PSP Tengai Makyou 4 / NEW
29 PS2 Shinseiki Evolution 2nd Impact Pachislot
30 Daito Giken Premium Pachislot Collection Yoshi Takashi
-------------------

GBA bit generations dotstream - 4,500 [NEW]
GBA bit generations Dialhex - 2,400 [NEW]
GBA bit generations Boundish - 1,800 [NEW]
PSP Tengai Makyou 4 - 4,600 [NEW]
NDS Brave Story - 2500 [7,000]

--------------------
Hardware #'s

DSL - 140,858
PSP - 35,283
PS2 - 23,927
DS - 11,821
GBASP - 2,619
GBM - 1,581
Xbox360 - 1,105
GC 928
GBA 28
Xbox 10

Offline Aussiedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: July 20, 2006, 03:39:46 AM »
Furthering B&M's efforts to keep this thread on track (highly unlikely it will succede ) here are the  
Australian Software Sales Charts for July 16th.

Will Wii Win?  

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: July 20, 2006, 05:32:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure Halo and Halo 2 have always been BC for XBox 360. Also, the console in no way requires an HDTV. One last point, if you've seen the "behind the scenes" of the Halo 3 trailer (waste of time, don't watch it), one of the designers says he hopes Halo 3 will be the ending to an epic trilogy. Sure there might be another Halo-themed game, but it most likely won't be called Halo, since Halo has been destroyed, or will be or something to that effect...I just play online.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: July 20, 2006, 05:33:20 AM »
BTW the DS sales still kick ass, but some of the games in the Aus top 10 make me sad...Pirates of the Carribbean and Hasbro 4 Game Fun Pack come to mind.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: July 20, 2006, 05:37:04 AM »
Glad to see Nintendo kicking some butt in Australia, even if it's just two games, but....WHAT'S GOING ON IN JAPAN?  I mean, PSP game rockets into the top ten?  PS2 takes three of the top four?  Looks like this is the beginning of the end for NintenD'oh!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: July 20, 2006, 06:34:10 AM »
No Halo 2 talk beyond this post.

Offline Chzn8r

• Pwningest Pirate Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: July 20, 2006, 09:47:01 AM »
7 PSP games in the top 30, that must be a first. And yet, the hardware still sells next to nothing compared to the DSL.
And big new PS2 releases topping the charts shouldn't be surprising whatsoever. It does have the biggest installed userbase of any system there...
Wear the grudge like a crown/ of negativity calculate what we will/ and will not tolerate desperate to control/ all and everything unable to forgive/ your scarlet letterman
WEAR THE GRUDGE LIKE A CROWN!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: July 20, 2006, 12:17:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Chzn8r
7 PSP games in the top 30, that must be a first. And yet, the hardware still sells next to nothing compared to the DSL.
And big new PS2 releases topping the charts shouldn't be surprising whatsoever. It does have the biggest installed userbase of any system there...

I would like to know how many units those PSP games have sold. It appears the units sold starts really dropping off past the top 10.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: July 20, 2006, 04:17:39 PM »
But that's a new game, and the next game in line is Brain Age, which sold ANOTHER 31,000 this last week. I know it's sarcasm, but still worth pointing out. Nintendo could stop making games in Japan for a year and still have 3 or 4 in the top 10 every week.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: July 21, 2006, 09:14:14 AM »
Hardware #'s confirmed up above

YTD/LTD

NDS - 3,849,643/9,496,595
PSP - 988,181/3,671,143

NDS Lead - 2,861,462/5,825,452

NDS will hit 4mill YTD at the same time that PSP 1mill YTD - NDS out sells PSP 4 to 1
NDS has sold more YTD that PSP has LTD in japan - just adding insult to injury
NDS will lead 3mill YTD and 6mill LTD by this time next week(when #'s are released)
Pink NDS will likely smother all sales of Loco Robo for PSP - Sony will not catch a break

edit: More data gathered from elsewhere

GBASP after 20 weeks: 1.22M
DSL after 20 weeks: 2.93M
Time for GBASP to reach 2.93M: ~53 weeks

"GBA after SP" after 20 weeks: 314K
"DS after DSL" after 20 weeks: 468K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 468K: ~35 weeks

DS after 20 weeks: 2.08M
PSP after 20 weeks: 1.23M
GBM after 20 weeks: 441K

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: July 21, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »
Looking at those 20-week sales, it's interesting to see just how well PSP did at launch, similar to GBASP and muuch better than GB Micro.  Of course, it launched in the holiday season too, I don't think that was the case for SP.

This reminds me of the N64 vs. PSX.  The launch went really well for N64, but eventually things reached their usual "one dominant system" state.  For a while there, this looked like the closest race Japan has seen, but now DS has taken on that dominant role.  PSP isn't doomed, per se, but it's going to be stuck in the same distant second place as N64 and GameCube have been in on the home console market.

It's also going to be interesting to see how worldwide sales go the next couple of months, as they seem to be turning towards DS.  If DS can parlay it's Japanese success into worldwide success, I think that would be good news for Wii.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: July 21, 2006, 01:47:59 PM »
DS continues to dominate