Author Topic: Wii Music 2 in Development?  (Read 4606 times)

Offline NWR_Karlie

• twitter.com/JonLindemann
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
Wii Music 2 in Development?
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:45:53 PM »

Miyamoto speaks on the possibility of a Wii Music sequel.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/24430

In an interview with Techland during Mario's 25th birthday celebration on November 7, Shigeru Miyamoto spoke a little about potentially including Mario in a follow-up to Wii Music, and went on to say that changes were in progress to improve the game, specifically mentioning a new interface.

Miyamoto: In most of his games, it's about the player's actions on the screen or the player being able to experience the actions of Mario. He doesn't seem to fit that role of a musician for us right now. With the Mii characters that players create to represent themselves appearing in different games– again, like Mario does–I thought that idea of using Miis was a good fit. And so the user could feel that they were there playing the music....

And there's a lot of potential still in Wii Music, I think. Because we're going to change it up, a new interface is coming, and all of that.

Wii Music had a poor reception at its release two years ago, but went on to achieve good sales totals worldwide. Past reports have indicated Miyamoto's interest in developing Wii Music further, adding features to the original while not being a true sequel in a similar way to Wii Fit Plus.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Music 2 in Development?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
Nintendo would be better offering htis title as a Wii channel than a full-on release title.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
It might be worthwhile if it required motion plus

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
There are many changes Nintendo could do to make this game better.

1) Wiimotion + interface to have better represented instruments. 

2) Midi file music maker support...with allowing people to create their own or even import their own music created in other programs. 
This is easily doable, because you are only playing to beats not "notes" like rock band.

3) Online play

4) More instruments.

5) Finally, a strange but fun mode, would be a way to blend Midis and allow different instruments to play different songs allowing for some strange creations from the user.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
What they should do is basically just make it a home console version of Band Bros.  The Band Bros series already does a great job of allowing people to actually play the different instrumental parts of songs and allows people to compose any song they want with a wide variety of instruments to use as well.

Even though I actually enjoyed the original Wii Music for the type of game it was, it got boring really fast, while Band Bros for the DS never got old.  If Nintendo was to make a Wii Music game that was more like Band Bros, I think it would make the game have way more value and be more enjoyable experience.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »
Wii Music would've been better off being this.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 12:25:38 PM »
What Wii Music 2 would have to include for me to be even remotely interested in it is just so far off what the original was.  It wouldn't be a Wii Fit Plus kind of update - it would more or less have to be a completely new game.  But I'm a musician and Nintendo is not designing this for musicians.  I want something very robust with a lot of depth.  Nintendo wanted to make a glorified noise-maker for casuals.  We're just on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'd rather they not waste time or resources on this but I would rather they not bother with a lot of stuff that made them a lot of money this gen so that's just my personal tastes.  I just ask they time the release better.  Wii Music came out at the worst time when core gamers were starving for a new release and there was jack **** being released.

And don't make Wii Music Plus.  Wii Fit Plus is a damn rip-off.  Make Wii Music 2.  Make a REAL sequel and a full game not some half-assed Street Fighteresque upgrade.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »
Lambast me if you will, but any kind of sequel or upgrade for Wii Music would have me frothing with excitement.  I'm glad to hear it had good overall sales world-wide.  The kind of critical panning it received from most western sites/magazines made you think the game deserved a condemnation from the pope.  But then I picked it up, almost out of morbid curiosity, and wham--I loved it.  (Not to mention it includes WHAM's hit single...  I'm telling you, an electronic slow jam version of "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go," full of hand-claps and space drums, is a thing of beauty.)
Anyway, I really hope this wasn't some kind of translator error, and Miyamoto and the gang actually do release some kind of iteration or update.  Or at least a new Channel with some kind of patch, allowing better sharing capabilities and new songs, would be groovy, too.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »
Not to mention it includes WHAM's hit single...  I'm telling you, an electronic slow jam version of "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go," full of hand-claps and space drums, is a thing of beauty

A connection between a love of Wii Music and a love of Wham.  You don't even have to come up with a joke.  ;D

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
Does anyone remember Mario Paint from the SNES? Well, it did have some music composition element to it that you could play around with. I wish Nintendo would incorporate something like that into Wii Music 2.

For that matter, I really wish we would get a new Mario Paint as well. Call it "Wii Paint" if you have to, but let us use the Wiimote like a paintbrush/pencil/stylus/etc and be able to create masterpieces on our TV screens. There were rumors years ago of a Bob Ross game, but that never actually happened. Nintendo, its up to you to make it happen!

Someone else earlier in the thread said Wii Music 2 would make an excellent Wii Channel (as opposed to a disc based game), and I agree. I don't think its something that would take up so much space that it couldn't be offered as a download, and new content could be added over time (new songs, features, etc). But I really want to see a "Wii Paint" be offered as a Wii Channel. Its been a dream of mine to see a new Mario Paint game ever since I played the original many years ago. Even though its not a real "game", it was a hell of a lot of fun and it fits in perfectly with the casual market that Nintendo is shooting for. Its stupid for them not to make it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:23:34 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:24:07 PM »
Mario Paint was a favorite of mine.  Very intelligent for its time.  Lots of depth.  Like an Endless Ocean...
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:29:21 PM »
WarioWare D.I.Y. is kind of the new Mario Paint.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 04:51:30 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing another Wii Music, but it needs to be a sequel and not a "Plus" version. It has a good concept and the basics are there, but it needs a little more depth and features, and some better music.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 01:29:53 PM »
I liked the idea of Wii Music, it just didn't end up very well. If they can fix all of the mistakes in the first game, I wouldn't mind a sequel coming out. They also need to have a better soundtrack, I think something like 80% of the first games soundtrack were either tunes from Nintendo games (so they own them) or public domain music (so they don't have to pay anybody for them)/
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »
But WHY? There are many games with much more potential that didn't get a sequel, why the one that completely failed to resonate with the audience?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 04:27:57 PM »
But WHY? There are many games with much more potential that didn't get a sequel, why the one that completely failed to resonate with the audience?

But maybe that is exactly why they want to do a sequel.  Miyamoto is disappointed with how the first game went so he wants to make a Wii Music that WILL resonate with the audience.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
Plus Nintendo is the kind of company with enough resources and money that they can make sequels to relatively unsuccessful games, although Wii Music sold over 2 million so I'm sure it was profitable.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
When I mentioned Wii Music 2 should be a channel, what I meant was some kind of music player. I mentioned before about my concept of a music player for my Wii. For example, Nintendo releases the channel, which will play all of the music on my SD card. I would then proceed to create Miis of all the band members of the music on my SD card for music concerts.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 11:21:56 AM »

But maybe that is exactly why they want to do a sequel.  Miyamoto is disappointed with how the first game went so he wants to make a Wii Music that WILL resonate with the audience.

It isn't going to be a megaseller either way so why not invest into something that could use a sequel more and probably would sell more as well?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 02:40:38 PM »
It isn't going to be a megaseller either way so why not invest into something that could use a sequel more and probably would sell more as well?

Wii Music sold between 3-4 million copies worldwide.  The only Nintendo published games to sell more then that are Mario games, Zelda, Smash Bros and the other Wii series.  Since these games are all pretty much part of series that are now getting sequels anyway, that would make Wii Music the most likely non whatever to get a sequel.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »
Wii Music sold between 3-4 million copies worldwide.
Says VGChartz? Wikipedia lists Wii Music at 2.65 million, with a Nintendo financial report as a source.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 09:45:22 PM »
Which hasn't been updated since May 2009. Most of those figures haven't. It seems like Nintendo just stops keeping track of sales of a few games after a while.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »
Says VGChartz? Wikipedia lists Wii Music at 2.65 million, with a Nintendo financial report as a source.

Ops, I confused Animal Crossing and Wii Music's sales.  Animal Crossing Wii is the game that sold between 3-4 million copies while Wii Music is still in the upper 2 million.  Of course that still doesn't change anything since Animal Crossing is also part of a popular series that's already getting a sequel for the 3DS and is guaranteed to get one for the Wii successor as well.

So once again, Wii Music is still the best selling Nintendo published Wii game that isn't part of a series that isn't already gotten or guaranteed to get a sequel like Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, or Wii Sports/Fit/Play.  Which is why Wii Music getting a sequel shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and actually makes sense from a financial standpoint as well.  The only other Nintendo published Wii games that are somewhat close to Wii Music in sales are Wario Ware: Smooth Moves and Mario Strikers Charged.  Which are both part of existing popular series that we can already expect sequels to in the future, which makes Wii Musics chances for a sequel very possible as well.

Which hasn't been updated since May 2009. Most of those figures haven't. It seems like Nintendo just stops keeping track of sales of a few games after a while.

In Nintendo's quarterly reports they only list the games that sold over a million copies in those same quarters.  So they don't stop tracking the sales, they just don't include the games  in the reports if they didn't sell over a million in those same quarters.

Offline MajinKitty230

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 08:05:28 PM »
What I look for if they make a wii music 2:

1) Try not to make all the music old songs
2) Have everything unlocked
3) No mini games
4) Have more instruments
5) More stages
6) A mode where you can make your own music or add in your own songs
7)Online mode where you can actually play with other people LIVE and use wii speak
8) Option to save created videos to your SD card