Poll

How many games in the series have you beat?

Pokemon Red, Blue, or Yellow
2 (6.9%)
Pokemon Gold, Silver, or Crystal
2 (6.9%)
Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald
3 (10.3%)
Pokemon FireRed or LeafGreen
3 (10.3%)
Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum
3 (10.3%)
Pokemon HeartGold or SoulSilver
2 (6.9%)
Pokemon Black or White
3 (10.3%)
Pokemon Black 2 or White 2
1 (3.4%)
Pokemon X or Y
2 (6.9%)
Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire
2 (6.9%)
Pokemon Sun or Moon
2 (6.9%)
Pokemon Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon
1 (3.4%)
Pokemon Let's Go, Pikachu or Eevee!
1 (3.4%)
Pokemon Sword or Shield
2 (6.9%)
I've Completed Every Game Fully (The Few and the Proud)
0 (0%)
I've Never Finished/Played a Game in the Series (The Few and the Not-So-Proud)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: November 14, 2020, 02:45:32 PM

Author Topic: Run the Series 2: Pokemon Main Series  (Read 66298 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Run the Series 2: Pokemon Main Series
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »
As to the news on a new FF topic in this vein. Wonderful. I am actually nearly done streaming FFXV and then I am going to do the Comrades side game/DLC portion of the game.  Once I am done with that I will have streamed all of the mainline FF games not including the MMOs over the course of I think 2 or 3 years on another forum.

As to the poll I did beat X, Red, Blue, Yellow, Fire Red, Silver, Crystal, Soul Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, Omega Ruby, Platinum, and Moon.   I think I didn't beat Moon when I voted but I later beat Moon. Still haven't played the Gen 5 games or the Ultra games quiet yet.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
To actually be on topic I have played a bit more of Moon and I am liking it even more than my first playthrough.  I still need to pick up Ultra Sun. Finding funds for everything I need to do and also enjoying different games has been hard to do.

I got Ultra Sun and never actually finished it (might need to change my vote).  I think I played it too closely after Sun, so it didn't feel fresh enough.  I'd suggest spacing those out, unless you don't think that'll bother you.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »
After a couple months from when Sword and Shield release, I think I'll bump this thread again just to update the poll choices and allow for new / changed votes. (Or maybe I'll just erase the poll and start over with a new fresh one to try and get it back in order.)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 11:42:28 PM »
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are pretty easily the best ones on 3DS and the first games to really reach the level of where the DS games were at in terms of quality. They do however skew way too close to Sun and Moon but IMO they're about the same bump in quality compared to the base Sun and Moon games as Platinum was to Diamond and Pearl.

Black and White still top them but they're easily my second favorite games in the series.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »
To actually be on topic I have played a bit more of Moon and I am liking it even more than my first playthrough.  I still need to pick up Ultra Sun. Finding funds for everything I need to do and also enjoying different games has been hard to do.

I got Ultra Sun and never actually finished it (might need to change my vote).  I think I played it too closely after Sun, so it didn't feel fresh enough.  I'd suggest spacing those out, unless you don't think that'll bother you.
It probably wouldn't bother me as I can play Ultra and see the similarities of Moon but see what has been improved in the new games.   In the new game I can switch up the pokemon I use so it is a little different in how I go about strategy for the game.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 01:20:51 AM »

It probably wouldn't bother me as I can play Ultra and see the similarities of Moon but see what has been improved in the new games.   In the new game I can switch up the pokemon I use so it is a little different in how I go about strategy for the game.

It usually doesn't bother me, for those reasons, but somehow USun just kinda did.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are pretty easily the best ones on 3DS and the first games to really reach the level of where the DS games were at in terms of quality. They do however skew way too close to Sun and Moon but IMO they're about the same bump in quality compared to the base Sun and Moon games as Platinum was to Diamond and Pearl.

Black and White still top them but they're easily my second favorite games in the series.

Platinum was easily my favorite game when it came out.  Glad to hear USUM is on par.  I'll maybe try to give them another go since SwSh is almost out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2019, 02:32:37 AM »
The Sun and Moon games are just so guided and overly linear. It makes replaying them a real chore unless you have at least a year between playthroughs. Unfortunately the Ultra games don't really deviate from the base Sun and Moon until like 4/5ths through the adventure so playing them back to back is not something I'd recommend.

Linearity actually works for USUM because it basically ends up herding you to the Totem fights which are basically the best part of the entire game. There's a level of thought that went into each of those fights that just wasn't present in the original Sun and Moon or in the Gym battles from previous games, at least not with the kind of consistency we wound up seeing in USUM. Basically the first Totem fight is a bit of a pushover still which makes sense, gotta introduce the whole concept and all that, but the rest of them will just kick your teeth in if you don't have a way to deal with whatever weird nonsense way Game Freak came up with for that fight.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:34:34 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2019, 01:02:35 PM »
The grass one in SM was notably tough for me, but the others felt more like a half step between the gyms and a proper rpg boss battle.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 03:49:03 PM »
As threatened, the Poll has been updated to include some of the recent Pokemon games that came out since it was first created and the remakes have been separated from being grouped with the originals. Here is the original poll results:

The bold is my vote. It has not changed. I'm still the only person here to not finish any game in the series (and have not even started any but LeafGreen). However, while my position on the series has not changed much perhaps others have made more progress in keeping up or running the series so feel free to vote away on it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.