Author Topic: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?  (Read 32899 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
You can always play by yourself, then you won't have to wait on anybody.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2011, 06:43:23 PM »
I really, really just want a normal controller though. So many games have suffered on the Wii because of the shoe-horned motion controls. I don't mind that the option is there, but it shouldn't be used where it doesn't really make sense either.

With the Wii though the motion controls aren't an option.  Because the CC is optional, motion control HAS to be supported because otherwise you only have a handful of buttons to use.  Waggle becomes a simple way of getting the game to work on an inflexible controller.

But this insane Homer bling controller has multiple options so no one had to use the touchscreen or the camera or motion control because if they just want the buttons and analog sticks they are all right there.  The DS didn't succumb to forced touchscreen usage as much as the Wii succumbed to waggle becuase normal control options were available.

Of course we'll still get Phantom Hourglass type forced controls from Nintendo themselves as they feel they have to "sell" us on the gimmicky concepts they come up with.  I don't want any more of that.  But at least if the Wii 2 has good third party support there will be tons of good games that don't have stupid control schemes.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2011, 06:51:48 PM »
maybe the next system will have a voxel tree processor and use cartridges
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
Flash memory is cheap enough nowadays that a cartridge based system could easily be a reality. So long as the save file and any additional DLC is also stored on the cartridge, I wouldn't really have an issue with it.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »
Maybe the new Wii Awesome-Controller-Of-Awesomeness (tm) will have Super Blast Processing built in!!!!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2011, 06:57:55 PM »
plug it up to the tv sans n6 and it becomes a sega genesis
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Updates!!

Rumor Consolidation 2011

October 2010:
-Marvell QuadCore processors for new console - *This might have had something to do with Kinect, But I don't remember.
-IBM implies that Wii2 uses Cell based PPC

November 2010:
-Marvell Quad cores gets a large order: From large console manufacturer - *once again might be Kinect related.
-House of the Dead: Overkill 2 in the works 
-EA reviving NFL Blitz

December 2010:

January 2011:
-UltraViolet Media Cloud service coming to a console - Most Likely Sony since Sony is a partner.
-New Pokemon game for Wii

February 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to THQ

March 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to EA
-AMD working on CPU/GPU combined chip for console due for release @ end of 2012

April 2011:
-Monster Hunter 3DS to be announced soon
-SSFIV3D connects to home console - Hint @ Wii2 from Capcom and 3DS -> Wii2 connectivity
-Wii price drop to $150 on May 15th
-Wii2 announcement @ E3: 1080p HD, More powerful than PS360, BC with Wii, release late 2012
-New Wii2 controller has HD screen built in
-Wii2 to use Bluray technology
-Wii2 actually aimed at early 2012 release (1st half 2012)
-Controller Screen is actually a Touch Screen
-Project Cafe: Wii2 Controller is a Tablet: 6" touch Screen on Controller, front facing camera & doubles as sensor bar for BC
-Dual Analogs, Streaming & Games Wii2 controller to rival 3DS, NGP, iPhone & iPad apparently
-1st & 3rd Party games @ E3 EA, Ubisoft & Capcom all but confirmed
-Wii2 = TriCore PPC & R700 class GPU w/ 512+MB Ram Another surprise to be shown @ E3
-3rd Parties have had Wii2 Dev Kits for Months, Has better Motion Tracking than Move
-Pikmin 3 moved to Project Cafe & to be shown @ E3; Nintendo also in talks with R* for solid AAA support.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:29:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »
Thank you for the effort you put into compiling that, BnM.
is your sanity...

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »
It makes me think back to the Dreamcast. The memory cards (VMUs) slid into the controllers and doubled as a secondary screen. It was monochrome and usually didn't actually provide much in the way of functionality, but the idea was awesome.

I really, really just want a normal controller though. So many games have suffered on the Wii because of the shoe-horned motion controls. I don't mind that the option is there, but it shouldn't be used where it doesn't really make sense either. 

If you think about it though, with the exception of Gameboy and GBA, Nintendo control schemes have just been crazy.  Some may call it "Innovative," "Groundbreaking" or "Inspired,"  and some might just call it just plain crazy.

Look at the NES controller.  Young people on these forums might not remember that a lot of people thought that this controller was idiotic and stupid.  Movement controlled by the left hand?  No Joystick?  2 buttons?  Crazy!  The dominant control scheme at the time was either the 2600 or the 5200 controller, which was a joystick typically controlled by the right hand (though not necessarily) and one or two buttons.

Then the SNES.  Shoulder buttons.  This was crazy.  How would you use these?  Wouldn't it make more sense have all buttons on the face, like every single previous generation's controller, as well as the Genesis?  SF2, man, everyone complained about having HK and HP mapped to the shoulders.

The N64.  The trident.  An analog stick, thumb driven?  Crazy. 

The Gamecube controller.   That was just weird.

DS?  Dual screen?  Why in the world would you use Dual Screens?

Motion controls on the Wii?  Wow, that'll never catch on.  MS and Sony, they'll never jump on that bandwagon.

And now we have the 3DS.  People don't want 3D, they say.  It's a gimmick.

And now we have this crazy Wii 2/ Project Cafe controller, which to be honest, I cannot understand.  It's crazy.  I can't even imagine how in the world this would work in gameplay.

I think that if Nintendo had introduced a conventional Dual-Shock-y controller, everyone on internet would simultaneously lose their sh*t.    Conventional is just not the Nintendo way, as much as people complain about what Ninty does with their IP's.    People say that they want to skip Nintendo's next console because they can't quite understand what it'll bring to the table in terms of gameplay.  I say, if it was something I could easily understand, then I would have been profoundly disappointed with Nintendo. 

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Ailingforale

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • The Video Game Backlog
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »
Would they go for flash memory or try to do the blu-ray thing as well.  I like the idea of flash memory and dlc being stored on the same ... "stick"?
TheVideoGameBacklog.com

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Rumor Consolidation 2011 *Update*
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
-3rd Parties have had Wii2 Dev Kits for Months, Has better Motion Tracking than Move

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
Flash memory is cheap enough nowadays that a cartridge based system could easily be a reality. So long as the save file and any additional DLC is also stored on the cartridge, I wouldn't really have an issue with it.

I, too, would love the ability to only access my games and write save files a million times before it can NEVER BE USED AGAIN.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2011, 09:51:22 PM »

I, too, would love the ability to only access my games and write save files a million times before it can NEVER BE USED AGAIN.

Every game delivery system has a shelf life (the exception arguably being digital tied to some account, but you could argue that has a limited shelf life as well).  Have you never gotten a disc scratched beyond repair?  I for one would gladly take cartridges over discs again.  No more worrying about friends leaving discs on their sides leaning against a wall and getting scratches.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2011, 09:56:46 PM »
Uh what? Save files already use flash. And Flash writes are what matter, not reads, so this wouldn't affect the games unless you were replacing games over and over.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2011, 09:58:56 PM »
You could access your games indefinitely. I suppose there would be some worry when it came to the write limit, however. It's a pretty far fetched wall to hit, but still a possibility.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
What kind of person would save their game data one million times? If you save your game data once every hour then that's one million hours worth of save data. There are 8,760 hours in a year and let's say someone lives 80 years, so 8,760 times 80 is 700,800. So assuming someone lived 80 years and saved their game every single hour of their life they still wouldn't have one million saves. You'd have to live like 100 years and be saving every hour that whole time in order to have written to the thing a million times.

And that also means that would be the only game you'd be playing your whole life and you would have no time for a job or school or family or anything. Your whole life would have to be devoted entirely to that one single game and nothing else in order for you to reach the point where you would exceed the write limit. Keep in mind you'd also have no time to eat or sleep and you'd also have to start playing the moment you were born.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2011, 11:03:20 PM »
No more worrying about friends leaving discs on their sides leaning against a wall and getting scratches.

I, too, lose sleep at night with this exact same worry.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2011, 11:40:40 PM »
I'm sure most of us would want these features for the "Super Wii":

- A "standard" controller like the 360/PS3
- A hard drive that the games can be played off of
- HD graphics (at least 720p or so)
- A stable online system akin to Xbox Live or PSN
- Big franchises to come to it
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »
Here's what I want

- Backwards compatible with Wii games
- Includes pointer controller
- Hulu support
- Programmable Shaders
- Butt load of RAM
- Unified friend code system

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2011, 12:09:18 AM »
I'm sure most of us would want these features for the "Super Wii":

Ew.

First, I couldn't care less what the controller will be. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to my taste in controllers.

Don't care about playing off hard drive. I like having physical media.

Don't care about HD. I don't have a screen to utilize it.

I'm perfectly fine with a unified friend code system.

I couldn't care less about big name franchises. I want new IPs, not games that have been driven into the ground a hundred times.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
If you want those, then go buy an XBox 360 or PS3.

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2011, 12:53:47 AM »
The rumors have gone off the deep end at record speed.

A SIX inch touch screen display on the controllers? Really? These are either deliberately planted false trails or made up. I'm disappointed that sites like IGN would even run with them.
"wow."

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2011, 03:27:26 AM »
If you want those, then go buy an XBox 360 or PS3.

But I want to buy only one thing that also plays Nintendo games :(

Anyway, assuming some measure of backwards compatibility, we almost already have a standard controller in the Classic Controller Pro. It only lacks thumb stick buttons.
A hard drive would be quite nice. Even nicer if I can buy my own 2.5" HDD and slap it in the system. With the SD card support in the Wii and 3DS, it appears that Nintendo isn't opposed to having expandable storage. I do have my doubts about the Super Wii sporting a SATA port in it. If it must come to it, I think a big SD card might be tolerable for saves, patches, and downloaded content.
Looking at the 3DS, I think the Super Wii's online feature will be fine. The most important things are being able to easily add friends and preferred players to a list, be able to see when and what they are playing, and to be able to send small messages to schedule play dates. 3DS has most of those things (from what I've read) so I think the Super Wii will have it too.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2011, 03:40:34 AM »
The rumors have gone off the deep end at record speed.

A SIX inch touch screen display on the controllers? Really? These are either deliberately planted false trails or made up. I'm disappointed that sites like IGN would even run with them.

Yeah the more I think about the six inch rumor, the more unrealistic it sounds.  I don't see how Nintendo would be able to release a controller with a six inch touch screen and two analog sticks as well as buttons like the rumors say it has now, without it costing a ridicules amount of money.  I mean hell, the DSiXL's which has the biggest screen Nintendo's ever released on a portable is only 4.2 inches.  For a controller to have a screen almost 2 inches bigger then that just doesn't sound right because it's price would have to be similar to that of the DSiXL, which Iwata would have to be completely insane to think he could get away with pricing a controller that high.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2011, 04:25:24 AM »
I've been thinking about the whole "screen on the controller" aspect of the rumor, and honestly it just doesn't make any sense to me.  Why would I want such a feature, especially as a touch screen?  I like what I'm hearing about every other rumored aspect of this new system, but I only need one screen when gaming, thanks.  With rare exceptions, I never thought the dual-screen functionality of the DS really added much to most of the games I played on it, so I foresee the same thing here.  And like Ian has said, this is sounding like it would lead to expensive controllers, when I'd prefer Nintendo's gimmicky add-ons to be simply that: accessories I can ignore rather than be something I have to pay for and then rarely use.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.