Author Topic: App market  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
App market
« on: April 06, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »
Has there been any word on whether Nintendo has even considered allowing an app market a la Android and the iPhone? If they did, it could very easily be the first and final nail in the coffin of iPhone gaming, though knowing Nintendo I very much doubt they've even thought about it.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: App market
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
How would an App market on the 3DS be a threat and much less a nail in iPhone gaming coffin?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
You mean eShop? Because that's coming. If you mean open-access development, then forget it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
You mean eShop? Because that's coming. If you mean open-access development, then forget it.

Agree.

Dirk you have to remember that Apple is doing exactly what Nintendo has always done.  Screen, test, and approve applications to there platform.  Plus charge people for the right to develop those applications.  The eShop is coming.  Argueably it should have been there when it was launched with a few titles.  We will be getting fully digital games on the 3DS I have no doubts of that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
What Nintendo won't allow is the race to 1$ per game as that creates a climate where most people won't make their money back. The pricing strategy heavily influences how the prices are then perceived. XBLA: 10$? What a deal! App Store: 2$? I'll wait for a pricedrop.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
Unless its in episodic or really small I would doubt Nintendo would let the price drop much lower than the cheapest carts are the Highest VC content.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »
I think it might be a good idea to have a form of android on the 3DS. eshop can be different but having some 3ds version of android aps could be great. Nintendo gets money, Google gets some it's win-win but won't happen sadly

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:54:58 PM »
I think 3DS would choke on Android, unfortunately. The processor is far too slow. Also, major investment would have to be put in to support the special graphics chip.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 04:54:02 AM »
I can't wait til tons of 3DSware comes! I think people will want to make AR games and 3D stuff.

Plus just lots of different things, this gaming device is truly next gen enough, I believe that the DSi was NOT and people didn't buy it as much and then no great games got made.

I think this is enough of a change, I mean hell 18 games at launch plus many to be made for different things, 3DS ware etc.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »
first app made in an open-access development platform for the 3DS would be an emulator. Dirty pirates.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 08:35:13 AM »
first app made in an open-access development platform for the 3DS would be an emulator. Dirty pirates.
Please it be a series of Uber-Emulators and a way to jailbreak the 3DS so you don't have to pay for games.  Then a way to stream video in 3D to it.

Offline Ailingforale

• View Profile
    • The Video Game Backlog
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 09:43:57 AM »
Please it be a series of Uber-Emulators and a way to jailbreak the 3DS so you don't have to pay for games.  Then a way to stream video in 3D to it.
*Sigh* I do hope that's sarcasm right there.
TheVideoGameBacklog.com

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 09:51:30 AM »
*Sigh* I do hope that's sarcasm right there.

Yes. Mostly

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 08:39:27 PM »
If we can get a BUNCH of solid apps things could be great. Give the devs a GREAT kit and let them GO!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »
How would an App market on the 3DS be a threat and much less a nail in iPhone gaming coffin?

*Scratches head* I have no idea either. 3DS and an iPhone are so incredibly different, that it won't matter one bit what either of them do.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »

*Scratches head* I have no idea either. 3DS and an iPhone are so incredibly different, that it won't matter one bit what either of them do.

By that logic, it's impossible for the iPhone gaming market to be cutting into Nintendo's handheld market share, only we know that it's already happening, so saying that "it won't matter" what either of them do is just wrong. Phones are getting more powerful every day, and it won't be long until they have full games that are just as complex and in-depth as you'd except on a handheld gaming machine, only it will be on your phone, which you already take everywhere you go. Add to that the fact that you can download a bunch of 99 cent whatever games, and it makes the iPhone very appealing as far as gaming goes, especially for anybody who isn't super into video games.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 05:21:22 PM »
Those complex games I would  be more worried about from Windows Phone but, Microsoft shot themselves again in the foot by there update policy that everyone screamed was a bad idea.  The XNA architecture is suppose to be wonderful on them.  To put it bluntly its a convenience factor.  There are a lot games I just assume have on my phone because its always with me anyway.  Its a hassle having to carry the DS around as well but, having the Pediometer helps with that some.  Compelling reasons to keep it close is what Nintendo needs to offer.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 02:34:50 AM »
Phones are getting more powerful every day, and it won't be long until they have full games that are just as complex and in-depth as you'd except on a handheld gaming machine, only it will be on your phone, which you already take everywhere you go.

Power is not the limiting factor there. The problem is that phone gamers are used to games that cost a dollar and when something costs like 10$ they've learned that it'll drop in price sooner or later.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 09:29:37 AM »
Phones are getting more powerful every day, and it won't be long until they have full games that are just as complex and in-depth as you'd except on a handheld gaming machine, only it will be on your phone, which you already take everywhere you go.

Power is not the limiting factor there. The problem is that phone gamers are used to games that cost a dollar and when something costs like 10$ they've learned that it'll drop in price sooner or later.

We have a winner.  That's it in a nutshell.  I'll shell out $30 for a DS game but for a phone game,  No.  Why? Good chance it will drop;  Good chance the phone will not last over 2 years.  Around $10 is sort of my limit on phone games.  Also on the phone I'm more likely to buy a game then find out I need to do Micro-Transactions in it and like.