Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 21628 times)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »
http://www.ea.com/battlefield3/videos/faultline-episode-3

Looks like we'll be waiting until April 17 for the full ground wave.
Ah, crawling in vents. Ever since Half Life, I couldn't imagine an FPS campaign where you don't craw through such enclosed spaces.
This is just a personal thing but I hate quick button timing events. It displeases me that they're in the BF3 campaign. At least the animation looks nice.
The big fight at the end has all the neat visual tricks and bells and whistles from Bad Company 2 looking and sounding better. The bright flash of orange and yellow from explosions caught my eye in particular.

All this SP stuff is very nice, but I hope we get to see the multiplayer in action soon. Oh, DICE is probably saving that for E3 2011.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
I think the most impressive aspect was the dust and concrete kicking up when he missed his target.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 02:54:45 PM »
Battlefield 3 - Full Length "Fault Line" Gameplay Trailer

Ah, twelve minutes of single-player footage. This must be what was part of DICE's GDC '11 presentation. There are some rough details like infinite ammo on the LMG which is to be expected at such an early stage.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »
So I can fly jets and take out baddies with a knife (probably)? Count me in.

This game just goes to show that we have hit a graphical barrier. I don't see any reason why we would need even better graphics than this.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 10:35:52 PM »
Well, some textures look kinda bad if you shove the camera right at it. Also, aliasing jaggies still persist. I get what you're saying though; the little details in the trailer make it look quite nice.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 10:09:21 PM »
Details of the Back to Karkand DLC that comes with pre-ordering the game.

Day 1 DLC sucks. This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that you can essentially get this for free. Compared to the Vietnam downloadable expansion for Bad Company 2, Back to Karkand reads like it will be more connected to the base game. I wonder how the link between the Battlefield 3 base game and the Back to Karkand expansion will play out. I hope it isn't anything potentially unbalancing.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
This game just goes to show that we have hit a graphical barrier. I don't see any reason why we would need even better graphics than this.

That's what they said about the N64. And then the Xbox.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 07:11:28 PM »
I don't remember anyone ever arguing that the N64 was the epitome of graphics technology.

There's no such thing as too fast a processor, or too much RAM. Developers will always find ways to use increased technical capabilities. We are starting to reach a point of diminishing returns, though, and that's why this generation is lasting longer than previous ones.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
This current trailer reminded me of why I never joined the military....

Battlefield 3
October 25th
Battlefield 3.
Open beta in September and a release date of October 25.
Looking fantastic. The tank demo was really long but I really enjoyed it.

The multiplayer trailer for E3 was far too brief. I hope there will be longer demonstrations soon.

The new video footage from the Electronic Arts 2011 press conference:

Battlefield 3 - Frostbite Engine Features Trailer

The Operation Metro Multiplayer Trailer

The Thunder Run Tank Demonstration
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:56:50 AM by Enner »

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
Battlefield 3: Caspian Border Gameplay

JETS

... and a massive battle with all sorts of infantry and vehicles. Overwhelming and crazy. Just what I like to see from Battlefield.

There's Playstation 3 footage of the cooperative mode at Gamescom 2011 so I hope that gets posted soon. I'm very curious to how the mode plays out.

Until then, there's more of the Operation Metro in this trailer:
Battlefield 3: Paris Multiplayer Gameplay

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
So sick.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »
I posted this in the deals thread, but will post here too. Right now anybody who pre-orders the game through EA's Origin store will get early access to the beta testing, and their choice of 1 of 3 free games:

Mass Effect 2
Medal of Honor
Dead Space 2
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
Found some footage of the co-op. It's about 2 and a half minutes in.
Battlefield 3 Gamescom 2011 EA Press Conference Presentation (PC)

Neat stuff. There's a glimpse of what looks like the main menu of the game where there are three big squares that read Campaign, Co-op, and Multiplayer. Below it must be the Battle Log feed.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Open beta to be available from September 29th to October 10 on Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Origin (for PC).

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta

And here's the PC requirements:
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
PROCESSOR: 2 GHZ DUAL CORE (CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ OR ATHLON X2 2.7 GHZ)
MEMORY: 2 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
PROCESSOR: QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 4 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD: DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

Oh, my Radion 4870 only has 512 RAM. I hope it can run the game well and look very pretty.

Lastly, Xbox 360 footage of the single player level Operation Guillotine:
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/videos/360_op_guillotine
Looking nice.

Offline pearlsparrow21

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »
Battlefield 3 is a game first-person shooter the Action video, developed at EA Digital Illusions CE and been published by Electronic Arts. The play is ready for publication on October 25, 2011 point to Microsoft Windows,EA Mobile confirmed a port for IOS deck. It is a direct continuation of Battlefield 2005 is 2, but the eleventh installment of Battlefield franchise.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
these fuckers are getting smarter

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2011, 03:41:35 PM »
The open beta has been out for the past couple of days.
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta

The game is still a first-person shooter in a modern day military setting so no surprises there. There are a bunch of unlocks spread out over your character rank, class/kit level, and individual primary weapons. A bit of an overkill. The one that annoys me the most are some class-defining gadgets (e.g. the assault class's defibrillator) that take 7000 points are so to unlock. In a given round, I might get 600-800 points towards leveling up one kit's level. This annoyance was in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and I'm disappointed to see it repeated here.

The damage has been increased from Bad Company 2. You can down an enemy in 4-6 shots as opposed to Bad Company's 7-9. The increased damage combined with the prone position means you might be spending a lot of time staring at kill cams of people lying on their bellies. The destruction is more subtle in the beta map of Metro. You won't be able to bring buildings down, but you can blow up some walls and cover. Sadly, there are no vehicles in the official Metro map of the beta which is terrible mistake in showing what makes Battlefield different.

On the PC side, I was wrong in thinking Origin won't be needed to launch the game. Whether you join a server from the website or launch the game executable, EA's Origin needs to be on. Speaking of the website, Battlelog is the only way you will be able to launch the game (on the PC). The beta installs a browser plug-in that manages live updates, a friend list, and voice chat while on the Battlelog site. On the main page of Battlelog, you can press a button to quickly find a server to join, go to the server browser, or muck around in EA's Facebook for Battlefield 3. Unfortunately, there is no way to configure options and key bindings other than to spawn on the map. Joining a server has worked quite nicely so far and has been faster and easier to do compared to Bad Company 2's in-game server browser. Other players have been having problems and are rightfully complaining. Lastly, I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing some free-to-play Korean online game when I launch a game from Chrome.

Performance wise, I've been running the game at a steady clip with some dips on my system with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, AMD Radeon 4870 with 512 MB VRAM, and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. I've read that the video settings are locked to normal so I haven't seen what the game scales up and down to. Sound effects have been very good with all sorts of snaps, hisses, and bangs.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »
This "open beta" has been such a disappointment. As someone that has played a lot of Bad Company 2 I can' t help things are a step down in some areas. Graphics are better no doubt. Sounds are some of the best I've heard however the use of destruction is a disappointment compared to BC2. While it might be toned down so buildings don't get destroyed at the end of the Operation Metro map it's a disappointment in regard to other smaller objects.

Operation Metro is just a horrible map in general. I fully expect it to be taken out of rotation on the PC side when the game goes live. It's completely unbalanced and filled with chock points. It's simply not fun in the end.

In the end this "Open Beta" by EA/DICE was a mistake. This rush map is bad and doesn't help show what Battlefield can be like. At least not well. Rush mode is only as good as the map you're playing on I feel. The Conquest mode would be more ideal to show off the game.

However none of that matters due to the bug and glitch filled nature of the game on both consoles and PC. Word is this is an old build just how in the alpha we were laying an older build. That's stupid in the end. This is open beta is more then likely soured a LOT of people. There were going to be people that dislike the style of play the game has. It's good they got to see what it's like before buying but some had to be turn off at the level of polish. If there was a more current build that should have been used. Makes no sense to put out this build and allow this level of negativity and backlash. With the game about to go gold if it hasn't already I expect the retail client to be very similar to the open beta with perhaps a tiny bit of improvement. I also expect there will be large day one patch that won't fix as many things as people wish. There will be disappointment and it will be DICE's doing.

I think BF3 will do well and after being patched a lot will be very solid. However overtaking Call of Duty has just flown out the window with this open beta. EA can forget about that. They'll get a second chance with Medal of Honor 2 I think but that ship has sailed as far as Battlefield 3 is concerned.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »
I hear we're stuck with a month plus old build because the Microsoft and Sony certification takes a long time. The PC version of the beta probably has to follow suit because DICE doesn't want to put in more work for a beta whose main goal is to stress test game servers and Battlelog. I can only hope the retail client will be significantly more polished as the magic of crunch-time-to-gold works its way through DICE. Then again, Battlefield games have historically been buggy at launch.

While there has been public shouting matches from EA, I doubt the company realistically expected to sell more than Call of Duty. As a piece of advertisement, the public beta has served up some heavy disappointment. Maybe that's why Call of Duty has stopped doing public betas since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 04:37:36 AM »
Got the game preloaded and now I'm waiting for the release date. First was the 13 GB installer files and then a 472 MB update. Hopefully the day 1 patch for the console versions aren't too big. In the end, I have 11.4 GB of game that I'm waiting to play.

Some early reviews have trickled in. Nothing surprising; it's a very pretty first-person shooter. The single player campaign is a 7-9 hour shooting gallery with turret sections, nuclear threats, quick time events, a climax that tries to hard, and an ending that leaves room for a sequel. The co-op has cool moments and scenarios but has long missions with no mid-mission saves or checkpoints. The multiplayer has oodles and oodles of vehicles to blow up, people to shoot, and stuff to unlock. Lastly, it seems the game looks beautiful and sounds awesome.

I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed or surprised that the game doesn't do anything different and great with its offerings, especially for the single-player campaign. Still, it would've been nice.

Eager to start playing once the clock strikes 00:00 on the 25th of October.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 06:08:15 AM »
im downloading the game now, I'm Lithiumpowered on origin

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 07:54:49 AM »
Preloaded and activated the game trough VPN and have been playing online since monday, haven't touched the SP yet. Maybe someone here have a good enough imagination to make a badass platoon for us here on the forums. :)
I have a bad feeling that I'm the only person here playing it on PC ...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:00:12 AM by Chiramii »
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 02:02:39 PM »
Oh, I got the PC version as well. On Tuesday, I tried messing around with the multiplayer. A third of the servers I couldn't connect to, another third I got in but later disconnected, and the last third went okay. This is pretty much what I was lead to expect from a DICE game.

EDIT: Forgot to add. My Origin ID is Eribuster.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:37:20 PM by Enner »

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2011, 08:42:48 PM »
I assume you have the same nickname on battlelog too. :) Added! (Pachirisu92)
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2011, 08:50:21 PM »
There's a lot of people saying "Oh, Battlefield 3 versus Modern Warfare 3, that's gonna be a big match-up". No, it's not. Looking at everything as it is now, BF3 is blowing Call of Duty out of the water. Which is always a pleasant sight. Never liked that series. Campaigns got shorter, more gameplay stressed all too much online multiplayer. Battlefield 3 may emphasize online multiplayer as well, but it looks a hell of a lot better. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call to the company who makes CoD: they've been living off of CoD and WoW for too long.