Author Topic: Capcom expects ANOTHER PS3 price cut this year  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Capcom expects ANOTHER PS3 price cut this year
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:26:12 PM »
Capcom: Sony likely to cut PS3 price again

"But, the price has been cut once and it is likely to be cut again towards the end of the year. I expect the (PS3's) installed base to grow gradually."

Wow. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing? The very possibiltiy really boggles the mind. Or has Capcom just joined Sega in the loony bin?

In Nintendo related news, they actually now expect RE4: Wii to sell BETTER than their projections of 420k units:

Abe, visiting Santa Monica for the E3 video game exposition, also said sales of its action horror title "Resident Evil 4" for the Wii will likely exceed its target of 420,000 units for the current business year to March 2008.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Capcom expects ANOTHER PS3 price cut this year
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:35:25 PM »
That's very good, beating their expectations is just one more step to getting RE 5!

Also . . . I wouldn't doubt another price cut soon if the first doesn't increase PS3 sales enough.

The unique thing about this is for the first time ever, Sony is in a 3rd place position. So it's quite funny to see them fumble and try to get back to the top. New PSP model and colors come to mind to try and help their PSP market and now the price cuts for PS3.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn out some years from now and who comes out on top but I only think pricing PS3 at the same level of Xbox 360 can really help Sony start to climb back up to second or first.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
The better announce RE5 for Wii about 3 weeks before the PS3 & 360 version launches. They better also detail all the exclusive content only found in the Wii version along with the superior and preferred control scheme all at a price that is $10.00 cheaper and releases 2 months after the other versions.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Capcom expects ANOTHER PS3 price cut this year
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:43:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
That's very good, beating their expectations is just one more step to getting RE 5!

Also . . . I wouldn't doubt another price cut soon if the first doesn't increase PS3 sales enough.

The unique thing about this is for the first time ever, Sony is in a 3rd place position. So it's quite funny to see them fumble and try to get back to the top. New PSP model and colors come to mind to try and help their PSP market and now the price cuts for PS3.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn out some years from now and who comes out on top but I only think pricing PS3 at the same level of Xbox 360 can really help Sony start to climb back up to second or first.

By the time Sony gets to the point of lowering the PS3's price to Xbox 360s level I think it may be too late. MS is slowly but surely wrapping up "hardcore" games and Sony is slowly but surely losing 3rd party support.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 09:47:49 PM »
BUt htey would take some HUGE losses if they drop to 360 leveled pricing, assuming you mean whatever 360 is priced at the time, cause 360 probably has a little breathing room between manufacturing cost and MSRP to drop the price and not take a huge hit. If Sony goes any lower in price I expect MS to react, and so on and so forth. Its a losing battle for Sony, they can't win a price war.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 09:56:20 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
BUt htey would take some HUGE losses if they drop to 360 leveled pricing, assuming you mean whatever 360 is priced at the time, cause 360 probably has a little breathing room between manufacturing cost and MSRP to drop the price and not take a huge hit. If Sony goes any lower in price I expect MS to react, and so on and so forth. Its a losing battle for Sony, they can't win a price war.

That is definitely true as well, MS has the luxury of having a system that has 1 year older components, not to mention that they started off with smaller losses than Sony.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 10:02:57 PM »
True, but I mean from a consumer price point of view. Ideally they want to sit in the $400 range to really get shares up but yes they would lose even MORE money on the system so it sucks for Sony either way.

I wish Sony would have just realized that the strongest system doesn't always win the console war.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:50:46 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

That is definitely true as well, MS has the luxury of having a system that has 1 year older components, not to mention that they started off with smaller losses than Sony.

That and I'd expect the MS higher-ups to permit a loss-leader strategy again if Sony was getting desperate.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 05:30:39 AM »
Yeah, I agree with that comment, KDR.

I guess anything is possible if Sony keeps having all this trouble.  It also depends on how you define price cut.  I wouldn't be that surprised if they phased on the 60 GB model and dropped the 80GB model to $500, minus Motorstorm, because I really doubt the 80GB model costs much more to produce (if it costs more at all).

Realistically, though, I expect the current price cut to have a strong enough positive effect this month to cool people down a bit, and then Sony will squeak by through the holiday season with "strong enough", but still relatively weak, sales.  I wouldn't be surprised to see another price cut early next year, though.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 04:54:52 PM »
When are NPD numbers coming out so that we know how much RE4:W sold?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 12:08:18 AM »
NPD is this up and coming thursday.

That reminds me, I forgot to buy my copy...