Author Topic: Miyamoto, Takahashi Discuss Possibilities for Minecraft on Nintendo Hardware  (Read 4857 times)

They have some ideas on how Mojang’s indie smash hit could work on Wii U and 3DS.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37925/miyamoto-takahashi-discuss-possibilities-for-minecraft-on-nintendo-hardware

Nintendo has had some internal discussions regarding how Minecraft could work on their platforms and how its developer, Mojang, could benefit from a partnership with the company, according to a Kotaku interview with Nintendo EAD head Shigeru Miyamoto and SPD head Shinya Takahashi.

"We've always thought internally that using the [Wii U] GamePad would probably make for a Minecraft that's very easy to play," Takahashi revealed. "And, of course, if we were to do something with Minecraft on the 3DS, similarly we would probably do it where it would be easier to play and could probably reach a lot of kids.”

For his part, Miyamoto admitted that he hadn’t actually played the game, but has “heard quite a bit about it” and likes "that style of game.” He also feels that the inclusion of both touch screen and stick controls on Nintendo’s hardware would make it a good fit for their systems.

Takahashi noted that Minecraft does not boast the same level of popularity in Japan as in territories such as the United States and Europe, so a partnership between Nintendo and Mojang to bring the title to Wii U and/or 3DS could help grow Japanese awareness of the game.

When told that Nintendo should contact Mojang to forge such an partnership, the pair laughed. Miyamoto then teased, “Maybe we're meeting with them! Who knows?"

Previously, a Nintendo representative asserted that the company has a “continuing relationship” with the Minecraft developer, though Mojang had said that a Wii U port of the game was “very unlikely.” The game is slated to arrive on a handful of new platforms later this year, at which point it will be available on virtually all current major non-Nintendo systems.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
A 3ds version probably wouldn't work well but the wii u version could be interesting.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
With the touchscreen, Mincecraft would be perfect. Selecting items would be a lot less tedious and typing would be easier. Wii U could possibly be the best port of it.

PC version is still the best version however. Mods and MP will always be larger.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
A 3DS version might look really cool in 3D, and if they want to increase Japanese awareness, then that'd be the way to go.

I might get a Wii U version though.  Haven't played Minecraft much.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
I honestly wish Nintendo just paid for this port. It's a very popular game and as stated above, could be the best console version because of touch screen alone. Add Nintendo stuff for flavor? Boom, killer app!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
Minecraft is popular still but its too late for Nintendo to really benefit.  Its now a Checkmark game like Angry Birds.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
If Nintendo wants it they just need to contact Mojang and work something out.  Clearly both platforms should be capable of handling a port.  When anyone suggests Nintendo offering some moneyhats around it's for key games like this.  If Nintendo cherry-picked a couple big third party hits a year that would really help pad their lineup.  I'm talking about the titles that are so popular that Nintendo NOT having it looks really bad, particularly if everyone else has it.  It hurts Nintendo a lot if someone looks into their system and finds out it doesn't have games x, y, z which people expect to be on every platform and Nintendo is the only one without it.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
I think Minecraft is boring and lazy (essentially making the player create thei own fun), but it would be nice to have it on Wii U and 3DS.

pokepal, why do you think a 3DS version couldn't work? There are iOS and Android versions and they work fine.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
I think Minecraft is boring and lazy (essentially making the player create thei own fun), but it would be nice to have it on Wii U and 3DS.

pokepal, why do you think a 3DS version couldn't work? There are iOS and Android versions and they work fine.
They are also extremely limited,

Offline Minsc

• Score: 3
    • View Profile

There was a time when creating your own fun was the norm.  It's called "using your imagination".

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile

There was a time when creating your own fun was the norm.  It's called "using your imagination".
Minecraft all alone is boring as hell. Imagination or not, it is dull as hell to play by yourself. Minecraft is only fun with more players.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline NotMario

• View Profile
Nintendo really has no excuse for not having a port of it at least announced as Minecraft is already out or coming soon to just about every other platform. I'm not really interested on playing Minecraft on 3DS or Wii U, but I know a lot of kids are. Even if most people who want Minecraft have it in some form by now Nintendo is still missing out by not having this huge game on their platforms. Really, it seems like something they should have had ready or at least announced for Wii U at its launch.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
It can be a blast in single player without "using your imagination". There are always deep caverns and secrets to find. I have more fun exploring than anything else in Minecraft.

I would hope Nintendo gets exclusive items added. They could also potentially catch an exclusive sequel.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, neither will ever ever happen.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
It can be a blast in single player without "using your imagination". There are always deep caverns and secrets to find. I have more fun exploring than anything else in Minecraft.

I would hope Nintendo gets exclusive items added. They could also potentially catch an exclusive sequel.

Exactly, Minecraft to me, is an epic open world adventure game. Multiplayer is a must though. If Nintendo ever gets a port, they need to have it be super smooth.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
I would sadly refuse the game if it did not include multiplayer. I love exploring on my own but knowing there are other people out there exploring and creating. Then you can visit each other and build communal cities. Also, then Perm could come and rescue me when I got lost in a cavern that makes the Mines of Moria look like a playground rock formation.

I miss our old Minecraft server.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Minecraft for the 3ds?... YES, YES, YES!
Multiplayer would be amazing!
Made you look ****.