Author Topic: Nintendo to Stop Accepting User Generated Brawl Content  (Read 3452 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Nintendo to Stop Accepting User Generated Brawl Content
« on: June 07, 2009, 01:35:50 PM »
On June 30 Nintendo will end Brawl's replay, snapshot and stage submission system.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18812

Nintendo has sent Wii messages to players across the United States indicating that on June 30 they will stop accepting player created stages, snapshots and replays for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The official Super Smash Bros. Brawl http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/>website has also confirmed the news.    

The feature has been available since the game's release in March of last year. The service allowed players to submit their replays of their best times in "Break the Targets" and "Home Run Contest" modes, snapshots they have taken during gameplay, and their custom stages. After that, Nintendo would distribute them across the world.    

Despite the service ending at the end of the month, Nintendo will still keep sending players replay data, custom stages, and snapshots as long as players allow their Wiis to receive new content. Players can also exchange content with each other if they have exchanged Wii and Brawl friend codes.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo to Stop Accepting User Generated Brawl Content
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:49:44 PM »
No big loss, since the content distributed by Nintendo gets overwritten the next time you connect online.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:55:16 PM »
Still lame to lose such a large component of a big-time game so early.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:58:54 PM »
Still lame to lose such a large component of a big-time game so early.
They are still sending out user submissions, they just aren't accepting any new ones. I'm guessing they have received too many to sift through...

By the way, was this news really posted 7 hours ago? I don't recall seeing it...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
They are still sending out user submissions, they just aren't accepting any new ones. I'm guessing they have received too many to sift through...

By the way, was this news really posted 7 hours ago? I don't recall seeing it...
way to reword my reply from your thread bump :P

& i think they are "back dating" articles. its the staff way of making it seem like they had this news posted before you bumped some old thread to make them aware of it ;)

truth is that the article may have been posted on the main page (but who checks that anymore?) already and just got posted to the forum just now. but they use the time stamp from the front page posting, and thats why its looks like it was here way before it was

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:33:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:53:28 PM »
The timestamp on the post is from when the story was first created on the site.  So in a case when stories are entered and edited on the site itself (not what we usually do), its post time will be old unless somebody manually updates it.

Anyways...

This is pretty weak.  What, Nintendo couldn't afford another hard drive?  Pffft.  As always, Nintendo giveth and Nintendo taketh away.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »
This is pretty weak.  What, Nintendo couldn't afford another hard drive?  Pffft.  As always, Nintendo giveth and Nintendo taketh away.

Its not really a game breaker. I doubt those that play Brawl spend their whole time submitting stuff to Nintendo. Plus players will still receive content from Nintendo and the service will go on.

The game has been out for a year now, I am sure they have received more than enough content to supply gamers till the release of SSB 5 on the Wii 3 .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »
I'll just re-word my post from the old thread.

From what I've heard, its a bunch of TreeHouse employees that are sifting through all that user generated content and they have way more content than they need as it is (they are backlogged). If they run out of content to distribute, after they are done sifting through it all (for penis shaped levels and things of that sort), they can always open up the service again. But as of right now, they need to put some Treehouse employees to better use while they sort through the backlog.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 12:18:34 AM »
Well I'm just going to pretend that I reported this little news bit, even though the announcement was sent out a week ago.

If they could find a way to automatically sort out the obscene submissions then they would have a lot less to look through...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:34:10 AM »
The timestamp on the post is from when the story was first created on the site.  So in a case when stories are entered and edited on the site itself (not what we usually do), its post time will be old unless somebody manually updates it.

Anyways...

Many companies take away online functionality from a game period. If you look at any recently EA or Take2 published game, it will say in the fine print on the back of the box something along these lines: "Any online features require internet connection, may be retired on 30 days notice, and may not be available to all ages." That's actually what it says in the fine print on the back of the  GTA:Chinatown Wars box. 
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 07:14:48 AM »
Even though it shames me, I will admit I haven't touched Brawl in a while.
Has the actual online multi-player improved or is still as slow, laggy, crash-y as it used to be?
Also, how have its sales held up? It clearly hasn't had anywhere near the staying power on the charts that Wii Fit, Wii Music, and even Mario Kart Wii have had (which is sad) but I hope it's at least keeping up with Melee.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »
Melee sold 7.09 million, Brawl has already sold 8.43 million.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 07:45:41 PM »
1. Has the actual online multi-player improved or is still as slow, laggy, crash-y as it used to be?
2. Also, how have its sales held up? I hope it's at least keeping up with Melee.
1. If anything it is worse now.
2. Unfortunately it has sold at a faster pace than Melee but it seems to finally be dying out now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »
What do you mean "Unfortunately"? Brawl improved on Melee is every possible way (other it still annoys me that they totally nerfed Samus since she was my favorite in the first two Smash games), why would you not want a great game to sell better than its predecessor?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
Because I disagree that it is a great game. I think it is a shoddy, watered-down sequel overstuffed with filler content that lost its focus of multiplayer, charm, and fun, and is undeserving of sales and praise.

That's just me though. ^_^

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
Because I disagree that it is a great game. I think it is a shoddy, watered-down sequel overstuffed with filler content that lost its focus of multiplayer, charm, and fun, and is undeserving of sales and praise.

That's just me though. ^_^

Eh, my only problems with Brawl were that the Online multiplayer is borderline unplayable and that the stage design really took a dip with this one.  Otherwise, Brawl is better in pretty much every conceivable way.

As for the topic at hand, I don't see the big deal.  Nintendo's probably just sick of being deluged by mountains of Brawl submissions.  They could probably spend the rest of the Wii's lifecyle just putting out new player submissions and...dare I say...re-releasing stages they've already featured.  Hell, considering these things are out for only a single day it's not like most people would know the difference.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.