Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1538411 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6200 on: July 01, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
Far From Home -  Damn awesome.

Enjoyed it far more than Homecoming. I think I'd say this is now my favourite Spider-Man movie. Was a great ride with some awesome scenes.

Two post credit scenes which are both mandatory viewing.  Both of them got an audibly shocked WOW from me.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: July 03, 2019, 09:23:45 AM »
Spider-Man Far From Home - 9/10
This is the best Spider-Man movie there is, period. Mysterio is so awesome and done so well. The second and third act fight scenes are totally next-level and unlike anything that's been in the MCU, except maybe in Doctor Strange. The mid-credits scene is HUGE and changes absolutely everything in so many ways, and then the post-credits scene does it again. Great movie. See it now before you get spoiled.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: July 03, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »
It was great, I just kinda wish my knowledge of Spider-Man lore didn't spoil the obvious to any casual fan plot twist.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: July 03, 2019, 03:25:17 PM »
It was great, I just kinda wish my knowledge of Spider-Man lore didn't spoil the obvious to any casual fan plot twist.

On the other hand, they were faithful to the character.  A lot of people whined about Iron Man 3 when they changed up the Mandarin  They tried to do something a bit different and unexpected and got roasted for it.  So this time they played it safe and gave us a character straight off the page of the comic book.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: July 03, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »
Oh yeah,  I wouldn't have asked for anything different with the movie, I just wonder if it would have been even better, for me, had I not known the obvious.

Honestly, I had kinda been hoping thay Mysterio had been from another Earth, but then his counterpart from the mainline MCU Earth showed up to become the main baddie...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6205 on: July 03, 2019, 06:50:14 PM »
X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Honestly, a lot better than I thought it would be.  There were some emotional moments early on that I think were undeserved since I wasn't particularly attached to this version of Jean.  But the plot was fine.  Scott Summers was extremely derpy in the beginning, but really grew on me.  They also avoided the whole "make Magneto the villain" arc that they always do.  They get into it a little bit, but not quite all the way, which I liked.  Also, there was so much slow motion.  It was like a shampoo commercial at times.

6/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: July 04, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
Spider-Man Far From Home - 9/10
This is the best Spider-Man movie there is, period. Mysterio is so awesome and done so well. The second and third act fight scenes are totally next-level and unlike anything that's been in the MCU, except maybe in Doctor Strange. The mid-credits scene is HUGE and changes absolutely everything in so many ways, and then the post-credits scene does it again. Great movie. See it now before you get spoiled.

I still think Into the Spider-verse was better, but those fight scenes put Doctor Strange to shame visually. Doctor Strange 2 better step it up big time, because that **** was a trip.

and it still totally blows my mind how regular, unassuming, and awkward they can make Zendaya look. It's like 2 totally different people.

but back to the movie. FFH was great.
I knew there was a twist coming, as I know the comics, but I had no idea exactly how or why it would come. The explanation and continuity in the MCU is just incredible. it makes you want to go back and watch previous movies, even if for just specific scenes of relevance.

I'm not going into any spoiler talk, so someone needs to update the *MCU SPOILER THREAD* so we can speak freely there.

But as for par for a MCU movie, please stick around for both the Mid Credit and Post Credit Scene.
both are actually relevant for either the movie you just watched and the future of the MCU in general.
I have questions that need to be answered!!!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: July 04, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »
Wow, you guys watching new movies and stuff.

Last movie I saw was The Great Wall on Netflix. It wasn't good... but most of the flaws were laughable and the lead actress is very pretty, so I didn't mind just vegging out while the show was on. Probably the best moment was watching as armor-clad women warriors with long spears bungee-jumped off the Great Wall only to be devoured below. Who comes up with ideas this terrible? Thankfully they made up for it later when the entire top half of the Great Wall lifted to reveal huge spinning blades that would chop down anyone trying to scale it during battle.  Not recommended, but I've wasted time with worse.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: July 07, 2019, 12:30:51 AM »
John Wick: Chapter 2

I saw that the Blu Ray was on sale for less than $10 again so I snagged it this time. It’s good, better than the first one in almost every way. I have more neutral comments than criticisms. Off the top of my head, there are some things that stuck out to me and I mostly just ignore them to enjoy the ride.

1. There isn’t a single actor in Chapter 2 who is even remotely as good as Michael Nyqvist (RIP) was in the original. I’m not docking points from the sequel for this.

2. There are several instances in which John Wick should flat-out be dead, though maybe not as egregiously as in the first one when he was captured and the bad guys didn’t just cap him right there... immediately. Alright, fine, Wick is established as this super-assassin. Almost everyone else is just a redshirt who dies immediately or a Stormtrooper who can’t aim for ****. How are these people assassins? I get it. In this kind of movie, the hero needs mostly faceless goons to mow through. It doesn’t seem like character development, but it is. It shows audiences just how good John Wick is. At the same time, said goons are just so bad at being guards and/or assassins. Like unrelentingly so. Not really a criticism, just something I noticed.

3. I understand Santino’s goal. However, I’m not entirely sure why he invoked the blood oath to have specifically John kill Gianna. It seemed really easy to do, and Santino told him how to do it. Most of John’s planning seemed to revolve around his escape. If Santino was just going to double-cross John, I feel like he could have sent literally anyone else and he had like hella disposable cronies to send out to die. Maybe don’t send the one man perfect capable of ruining your whole career? I’m nitpicking. There’s no movie if Santino doesn’t coerce John into taking the job.

4. Is there any reason why people keep fucking with John Wick? I get that the contract was a lot of money. These assassins had no plan other than let’s just walk up to the most dangerous man alive who has an entire mythology surrounding his murdering capabilities. That’s the guy you want to mess with? Go back to school. Be an architect or an electrician because murdering is not for you.

5. Good call not giving Ruby Rose any dialog. I get that she’s really pretty; she isn’t a good actress.

6. While it was cool seeing John walk into the museum with seven bullets and taking all the guns away, it didn’t seem like it was in the Bowery King’s best interests to limit John so much. If John dies, he wouldn’t be able to collect the bounty. If John lives, he gets what he wants and Santino doesn’t take over New York. Looked cool, just a little baffling.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: July 07, 2019, 01:42:18 AM »
1. Michael Nyqvist did give a great performance which was very hard to top. The performance was very much like Alec Guinness or other classically trained, very experienced actors where a single facial expression that is worth more than paragraphs. Santino smug asshole was good even if it was a bit limited. Ian did fantastic as always although he is a character actor, Keanu is more flexible in comparison.

2. The film makers are actually very aware of what they did in regards to the goons/guards, they knew no matter what it was getting a bit out there so they leaned into it by having feel like a video game with more gun-fu using the rule of cool to sell it. The corridor shooter environment, the suit, pre-placing resources, salvaging weapons which is cool af. The next movie changes this up again.

3. Santino couldn't pay anyone enough money to do that job that is clearly a trap/suicide. He had to make John do it. Safely assuming markers are very rare Santino John is the only choice.

4. Think heavy weight boxing or mma championships with JW at the top spot. Unseating him not only comes with a massive amount of money and prestige, it's open season, every single one of those assassins are rightly assuming John is getting depleted increasing their chances in an ambush. John is getting worn down as it takes quite a while for John to dispatch them and takes serious injury from one of them.

5. No idea Ruby Rose isn't a good actress. Haven't seen enough to say.

6. Bowery King doesn't need the money, he already owns the underbelly of New York which is far more valuable than  $7 million. Also there is a very good reason as to why he only gave him 7 bullets in the sequel regardless of outcome.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6210 on: July 08, 2019, 12:10:09 PM »
Under the Silver Lake - I always love weird LA Noire. 9/10
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6211 on: July 09, 2019, 10:49:43 PM »
John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum

I don't know what the opposite of "nit pick" is, but I could go through this movie and find so many things to pull out that I liked (unless that is also nit picking?).  Anyway, this movie is just as great as the first two.  I liked that John Wick finds himself on a different kind of mission in each movie.  There's always a survival edge to each film, but this one has him more on a "get from point A to point B" type mission with everyone always trying to kill him.  The acting is a lot of everyone around Keanu, but this is a good thing; he talks in one liners, which is a thing I love seeing.

Two things that weren't as great: excess use of breakaway glass, some kills were over-kills.

9/10
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:52:01 PM by nickmitch »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: July 10, 2019, 02:14:34 AM »
Gush would probably be the word.

The director always take the movies into another direction to keep it fresh. 3 slanted Kung Fu/dog. 2 Videogame/Opera. 1 Mafia revenge/monster. You can bet on 4 being going in another direction. Not going to bother guessing as these guys are way too good to try to predict. My expectations is that it will be just as good as the last 3 or even better depending on personal taste.

3 showed how to subvert expectations to enhance a sequence like with "Serious business".

Keanu one liners aren't always spoken, it can be an expression, the kill itself is the one liner. This might be something a lot of people miss is that Keanu's acting is not just the dialogue which is delivered well, it is that he sells pain like a fridge to an Eskimo. When John gets hurt, every hit, I bloody believe it. It's absolutely fundamental to John Wick. The pain also applies to the enemies but not to that extent as they are usually dead well before suffering kicks in.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: July 11, 2019, 09:35:14 AM »
Captain Marvel

It was free to watch on my flight, so I gave it a whirl. It was... kinda dull? Nick Fury was the best part. I wouldn't mind a solo Fury film. Captain Marvel was okay as somebody's disaffected niece. The Kree and Skrull didn't do much for me, the movie kinda reminded me of the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern.

I'm getting confused trying to keep track of the Tesseract.

All in all, better than Thor 2, not as good as Thor 1.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: July 11, 2019, 12:24:28 PM »
Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern.

Ouch.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6215 on: July 11, 2019, 02:33:23 PM »
Gush would probably be the word.

Yeah, I think that's the word.

Another thing about Keanu's acting is that he's clearly in a lot of pain for the entire film and his speech reflects that very well.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: July 21, 2019, 09:08:44 PM »
Finally saw John Wick 3: Parabellum I liked it, but I feel like I need to see it a second time. This one was more focused on Kung Fu, but the action was still amazing. John Wick seems less likeable as this goes on, he keeps breaking the rules, getting other people to break the rules and they all get screwed over for it.

Halle Berry was awesome, wouldn't mind a spin off where she gets her daughter back.
The dogs were even more awesome! this was the best dog attack action I have ever seen.
It was great seeing Mark Dacascos back in action.
The one above the council. What was his deal? He had veto power over the high council? Why? I expected someone older or with more gravitas to play that role.
You would think John would have gotten in more trouble for shooting up their mint in Morroco
I think there is more to John's backstory than being from Belarus and coming out of the Russian Ballet/Assassin school

I need a flow chart to map the whole orginization and everything that John has done.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: July 21, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »
The Lion King

I'm not really sure what to say about this other than it's exactly what you expect it to be and it's going to make a ****-ton of money. They more or less, from what I can remember of the original, follow the story beat for beat, with a few minor deviations.

There were a few laughs to be had, and the animation was incredibly lifelike for animals that talk and sing. But that doesn't meant this didn't have some problems that may be noticeable to those actively looking for something to dislike about this.

I'm not going to go into any of that here, but go watch the movie. Enjoy it for what it is intended to be and watch as it makes $1.25B at the box office as expected. Audiences LOVED it. My audience was clapping wildly when the movie ended. It's gonna do really well despite what the critics, the haters, and the nitpickers say about the movie. The General Audience of children, their parents and other nostalgic adults will carry this movie to the pride lands where it will be held up by a baboon on pride rock and deemed the heir to the throne the previous Lion King movie sat on.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: July 22, 2019, 12:43:01 AM »
Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern.

Ouch.

Well there's more than just quality comparisons. There is production design things too. When I saw the first trailer it reminded me Green Lantern alone. I mean it's about a pilot who encounters some aliens and gets some powers. Not quite the same but some shots are very similar.  Captain Marvel is an uninteresting character in an interesting world if that makes sense. I think the main issue is Brie Larson was miscast. She's no Sigourney Weaver.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: July 22, 2019, 12:51:32 AM »
Here's who I would have liked to see as Captain Marvel. Katee Sackhoff.

or maybe Emily Blunt.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: July 22, 2019, 04:42:36 AM »
Those two sure would have helped although the script needed serious work to avoid the cringe.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: July 22, 2019, 05:37:55 AM »
I was watching a making of Captain Marvel. The script might have had too much work.

They picked two screen writers, then they had another rewrite, then it went through apparently a Marvel parliamentary process, then things were added during filming, and then in post. They screen capped a stack of like 6 abandoned screenplays. They probably should have stopped rewriting at draft 2 or 3.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: July 22, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »
I saw Pacific Rim: Uprising this weekend, the hottest mech action movie of last year waddup!
Can't believe it's a 2018 release, already feels so long ago this came out.

Anyway, movie's okay. Very predictable plot, you pretty much know where they're going from the start. There's a few scenes that appear missing, resulting in some character developments that don't feel entirely earned. It's really missing the hefty feel from the first film, now the robots are doing flips and tricks and the kaiju just kinda stumble through buildings as if they're made of cardboard. In the first movie even lifting a tanker ship took them a while, messing with torque, and it was shot from street-level to convey the scope. This one is less anchored in the reality of the viewers.

Another complaint I have: too many mech vs mech fights, and even worse they're fighting drone mechs so there's not even the potential for any human drama. In general the Pacific Rim movies have always skimped out in the fights, there's always one or two too few of them, or they're too short, or you can't see half of it because they filmed everything at night during a downpour.
At least this one attempts to rectify the latter by setting most of the action scenes during bright daylight, so that's a plus.

Does anyone care about Pacific Rim still? I highly doubt it, but if the first one was dumb fun, this one doesn't hit very far from the mark. It's better in some areas (more mech variety, slightly better main characters, daylight fights) and worse in others (nothing has any weight to it, soundtrack is at its best when they're copying from the previous one, curious lack of worldbuilding). Won't change your life, and in fact I've already forgotten most of the character names, but eh, I thought it would be a lot worse since this one basically killed the franchise.
Recommendation: Check if Evangelion is on Netflix.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: July 26, 2019, 04:57:40 AM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 8/10

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6224 on: July 27, 2019, 03:41:54 AM »
Just saw Shazam it is a pretty average movie 6/10. Not really worth seeing.