Author Topic: 30 day video game music challenge! Let's do this together!  (Read 13467 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: 30 day video game music challenge! Let's do this together!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 06:32:05 PM »
"Hard Mode: No Repeat Games" so does that mean I could do a song from DKC1, 1 from DKC2, 1 from DKC3, 1 from DKCR, and 1 from DKC:TR since those are individual games?

(Because if so, this ain't really a hard mode.)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 06:43:00 PM »
It's not a format that I created so I can't say but I'd say that you're free to impose whatever additional restrictions you feel are necessary to make things interesting.

I'm personally sticking with one song per series with one exception.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 06:47:10 PM »
Ok, sure, sounds fun! I'll claim the first one while Khush is thinking about DK, and tomorrow someone else chimes in?  ;D

Day 1: Title Screen Music
Selection: Metroid Prime (2002)
Linked here, and embedded below. Flows immediately into this track.

This is a really tough one right off the bat. Obvious other Nintendo contenders would be Ocarina of Time, which definitely benefits from an impressive video alongside it, and Xenoblade Chronicles with its slowly building piano piece. I didn't pick Ocarina because, nostalgia aside, the quality isn't great with its tinny instrumentation (plus I think Zelda will get several other chances in this series).
Xenoblade, while great, I think also just works as a classical piece on its own, not necessarily as menu music specifically. (Plus, controversial maybe, but I like Sorrow even better from that OST.)

Outside of the Nintendo bubble, I think the Halo: Combat Evolved menu theme is absolutely iconic, although it's also the series' main theme for which I'll arbitrarily dock it a point. Also considered Chrono Trigger, but again, it incorporates the main theme of that game.
Lastly, I don't know if anyone here ever played Phantasy Star Online? I like this one for how very turn-of-the-millennium it sounds.

Metroid Prime, meanwhile, has a dedicated tune not just for its title screen, but also for the immediately following menu. Both tracks flow into each other really well, and perfectly set the atmosphere for this game. I consider them 2 parts of the same whole. Creepy, ominous, oppressive and distinctly catchy with a nervous, organic underpinning. Exactly how Metroid should sound.

Bonus link: if you're a music nerd, you should consider checking out SynaMax on Youtube, who has found a lot of the synth patches used in Metroid Prime on machines like the Korg MS2000/MicroKorg, and software synths like old versions of Proteus.
The video I've linked includes some of the sounds used in the Title Screen music. Fittingly, one of the patches is called INVADERS.

Title Screen:

Menu Select:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:59:22 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 07:09:42 PM »
My intention was that everyone takes it on their own.

What makes this one really tricky is that there is alot of stuff that I was considering using but was hesitant to use because I might want to use something from that game or series a bit later on. I didn't want to play the Xenoblade card right off the bat for example when there are several other themes from that game that I want to use even more.

So I settled on the main theme for Super Mario World.

for BnM

It seems like a fitting way to start things off without potentially screwing myself over later on and it's something I have a similar level of affinity to compared to my other potential choices.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »
Here's one I recently heard while going through my backlog during quarantine.  From Monster Boy and the Curse Kingdom, the most recent installment in the Wonder Boy series.

for BnM

I heard they managed to get some famous composers but I was not expecting to be blown away like I was.  Easily one of the best titles themes I've ever heard.  The rest of the soundtrack is just as incredible.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 08:55:09 PM »
This title screen music seems timely, plus I just think it's a great, energetic bop. It's the ARMS title theme song.

https://youtu.be/kwQ6_rwvMp8

I don't know how to embed videos on the forums, though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 08:56:58 PM by Phil »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 09:05:47 PM »
This title screen music seems timely, plus I just think it's a great, energetic bop. It's the ARMS title theme song.

https://youtu.be/kwQ6_rwvMp8

I don't know how to embed videos on the forums, though.
That's fine. The forum software is so out of date it doesn't work properly on most browsers anyways.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 03:36:41 PM »
It's a new day, so opening level theme, hmm? I remember holding up a tape recorder as a younger Phil and recording music to various video games to listen to them outside of my playing them. The quality was gosh-darn awful, but one of the games I really enjoyed its soundtrack back then was Mega Man X4. It of course still has an amazing soundtrack and the jump to the PlayStation and Saturn brought the quality up even higher when compared to the already brilliant SNES music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vblaTqrLEdI
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 12:26:04 AM »
The Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series was pretty hit and miss as far as soundtracks go. You had some real bangers like the Gunyip theme but there was also alot of forgettable stuff nestled in there. The opening stage in the second game is thankfully a big hit and honestly it's one of that game's best parts.

Enjoy.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 11:24:28 AM »
Let's go with Shovel Knight for a great first level tune. Link here, and embedded below for those who can still see them.
Briefly considered that other 2014 Jake Kaufman OST, Shantae Pirate's Curse, which also has a great first level tune. But it takes longer to get going, whereas this one introduces its core melody like 10 seconds in, and iterates from there. Love all the little sidesteps and one-off embellishes thrown out there, too.

Here's one I recently heard while going through my backlog during quarantine.  From Monster Boy and the Curse Kingdom, the most recent installment in the Wonder Boy series.

This series is so difficult to keep track of with its naming. Is this the good recent one, or was that the Dragon's Trap remake?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 06:48:25 PM »
My 8-bit choice is going to be the main theme from Retro City Rampage. RCR was a game I got alot of play out of on the 3DS. It's a real fun time despite it's faults but for whatever reason I haven't bitten on it's sequel, Shakedown Hawaii.

Still, the main theme is a real banger.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 12:43:59 AM »
For the 2nd Day opening stage music, the first song that comes to my mind is Departure from Mega Man Zero 2.

Youtube link

The first Mega Man Zero was a decent game but the soundtrack wasn't that impressive to me.  The sequel on the other hand was a huge improvement in every way, especially the music.  That first level of MMZ 2 does an amazing job at getting you pump for the rest of the game and the music does a perfect job of matching the atmosphere and gameplay.

For Day 3's 8-bit music, since I'm on the subject of Mega Man, here's an underrated track from the Classic series.

Youtube link

It's the second Wily Fortress song for Mega Man 4.  I think it's one of the better Wily themes but I don't see it talked about as much. 

This series is so difficult to keep track of with its naming. Is this the good recent one, or was that the Dragon's Trap remake?

This is the newest one which is called Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom.  Originally it was going to be an indie homage to the series but they managed to get in contact with the original creator and it became a canon installment to the series.  I really enjoyed it and definitely recommend playing if you're a fan of the series, I'll write a more indepth thoughts in the "last game you beat thread" in the near future.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 06:50:42 PM »
Series is a strong word to describe this but my choice for the console exclusive seties one is Rogur Galaxy's main theme.

For BnM

It's just such a fun, swashbuckling little theme with a hint of wonder to gear you up for what the game has to offer.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 09:50:45 AM »
For console exclusive here's something from Sin and Punishment.

Youtube Link

From my favorite level in the original.  Going from escaping a ship to suddenly taking on an entire fleet of them was certainly a crazy moment.  Got to love how Treasure would escalate their games.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 06:18:57 PM »
8-Bit Music
Let's go with the Azalea Town tune from Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal here. Very chill tune despite the sinister plot occurring in that town. Also, there was that Kurt guy who made you differently coloured Pokéballs. I'd always try to colour coordinate them to match the Pokémon inside.

Console exclusive tunes
Let's make a swerve here, I'm picking the Deja Vu Canals level theme from Blinx The Time Sweeper, which I don't think ever left the Xbox. I've never played it, but based on the marketing I didn't anticipate this having some sort of acid Chicago house/EDM soundtrack.
Honestly don't love most of the songs on this OST, but Deja Vu Canals has a really nice, clean melody. Take away the techno beats and you could picture this lead synth on a Donkey Kong Country level.

Overworld music
Boring predictable choice, but the Zelda: Wind Waker ocean theme is just real nice. Has that set sail for adventure vibe, loops very nicely, and whenever something cuts it off you're always acutely aware you're probably running into trouble.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 07:12:44 PM »
This kind of got away from me because things got a bit busy for me so i'm just going to pick up where I left off.

With that said, for the overworld/hub world theme I'm going to go with the hub theme from Super Mario Galaxy 2

it's simple but cheery and it has a nice vibe that I like.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 10:15:39 PM »
Hub/Overworld Music

Youtube Link

The overworld theme for the Kingdom of Zeal, Corridors of Time.  Such an amazing part of the game and the music just matches the setting, atmosphere and story of it so perfectly.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »
My next choice is some of the overworld music from Skyrim.

for BnM.

It's really chill and I dig it alot.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 02:33:36 AM »
Relaxing Music

Youtube Link

Yoshi's Wooly World is full of relaxing music.  Hard for me to pick, so I'll go with the last track of the game.  If you 100% the game you get one final level that is quite a bit more challenging then the rest.  Each section keeps building in challenge, but then when you finally reach the last section, there's nothing that can kill you.  It's just a short section with Yoshi and Poochy that has you walk to the finish.  This is the music that plays during this last section and it's such a nice song to make you reflex on the journey you've had throughout the game and how it's finally come to an end.  For such a relaxing game, I can't think of a better way to end it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:59:23 AM by Luigi Dude »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 04:01:00 AM »
Music from an indie game.

For this one I wound up going with the Tropos theme from Owlboy. Owlboy's soundtrack, like the rest of the game's soundtrack, is incredible and we need more of it.

for BNM