Author Topic: The Animal Crossing: New Horizons Thread of Madness  (Read 103701 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
The Animal Crossing: New Horizons Thread of Madness
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:32:55 AM »
Might as well get something started on the forums for the coming storm of fruit trading, turnip selling and other island visiting insanity soon to come. Give the people a place to arrange meet-ups with others in this game.

(From BeautifulShy's post later in thread)

Here is a video going over the changes from past games in the series to New Horizons. '

For Bnm and others- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puHcjJyvaqs

Just to go over a little summary of what they talked about here are the details.

Create and destroy terrain to customize how your island looks and the design of it.  This is probably the biggest change as you are not stuck with whatever map that you started with. Let your creativity flow!

Crafting furniture,tools and other things. This is a big change since it allows you to create what you want without having to wait around for the stores to carry it.

Also with the crafting system you are actually engaged into the game more since in past games I know I did the typical things of the day like checking the beach for shells and fish, getting all the native and foreign fruit, checking the stores for different items that you might want and hope it is there or repurchasing an item from the catalog to fit the theme of whatever new idea you thought of and then talking with the villagers about different tasks they may have and then going to your house and putting it all together and put away things.

Crafting allows for the item you wish to make is pretty instantationus since you likely already have the items you need.

Full HD. That should speak for itself.

Many new buildings that are massive with ways to keep you occupied.

TV play docked and undocked in handheld mode.

Make your town how you like with different construction projects like bridges,ramps, staircases and slopes.

Character customization is more streamlined and robust being able to select from a list of styles for hair, eyes, mouth and many more parts of you body and look.  Also it looks like everything is gender neutral meaning any type of hair style, eye shape and mouth you want can happen no matter your gender. Somewhat similar to Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Nook Mileage Program-  https://www.ign.com/wikis/animal-crossing-new-horizons/Nook_Miles#What_are_Nook_Miles.3F

Designate where your villagers can move into.  No more 4 houses together if you don't want that. You can make that option if you like but you get to decide where everyone lives.

Tool wheel.  Be able to select whatever tool you wish with one handy wheel on screen. 

New storage system that you can enter your house and select what you want to store and you don't need a
Fridge, Amorie,Dressers, Locker,Wardrobe or Cabinet item in the house.

Furniture moves much quicker. No more grabbing an item and moving it square by square.

8 player online multiplayer or 4 player local. Yeah more friends in an online session.  I know many times in City Folk where we had 5 people would wanted to play together but we had to leave that player out and alone till one of the folks in the 4 player group left the town to go to that sole players town. No more of that!! More friends!!!

New safety features for online. No more cutting down that persons trees or digging up the town unless you are a best friend on that players list. No more stalking every one of your guests!

Character designer through the Able Sisters shop.  I will let the video speak for its self aside from saying that you can choose what pigment of skin your character is without having to soak in the sun to get a tan.  Not everyone is caucasian.

Nook Phone. https://www.ign.com/wikis/animal-crossing-new-horizons/NookPhone_Apps

Oh also there is pole vaulting as well!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:07:37 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: The Animal Crossing Switch Thread of Madness
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 01:23:38 PM »
We need a corresponding thread in the Funhouse for where Khush and I try to bully recruit others into our time travelling turnip manipulating island mafia.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 07:01:53 PM »
Holy smokes. This thread has 1767 views already and it was just a starter post. People are out there checking this forum and desperate for Animal Crossing info.

We need a corresponding thread in the Funhouse for where Khush and I try to bully recruit others into our time travelling turnip manipulating island mafia.

I was getting worried about whether Joan would be in the game with what they were describing and showing in the direct but I think I saw her at one point. I'm still debating about getting the game and yet I've already been thinking of my first step which would be getting all in on the Stalk Market.

I need to watch the Direct again. It was late and getting close to 1 am in the morning but hadn't watched it yet. Figured I see it the next day but then I thought why not watch it in bed. So, I grabbed my 3DS which is on an endtable by my bed. However, the eShop had not been updated with the Direct and it seems the 3DS isn't getting the latest Directs anymore. Then I remembered that the Switch is portable. Did the rare step of getting it out of its dock and started it up. Went to news and there was nothing. The Direct hadn't been posted there either. Checked for updates and wondered if I needed the Animal Crossing news channel. After messing around with that, I then remembered that YouTube had been launched on Switch and I did have the app. Booted that up and finally got the show running. But 5 minutes in, I kept closing my eyes and drifting off. After 15 minutes, I just stopped the program and went to sleep. It was clearly some really riveting game play being shown and my brain couldn't handle it all at once like that.

My impression of what I watched is that it seems like the game has corrected some of the flaws I noticed in New Leaf (like new villager homes popping up anywhere suddenly instead of letting the player assign their location) but I haven't seen anything that looks like a new activity such as diving and swimming. I suppose there is nothing like one's first Animal Crossing game.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 07:51:30 AM »
They're gonna sell so many copies of this, aren't they? 10 Million easily, calling it now.

Personally I've never really played any of these, although I did watch someone play the Wii game a few times. This new one looks a lot prettier, and the landscaping seems more advanced, but I agree with Khush it seems very iterative otherwise.
I'm not convinced Animal Crossing appeals to me, but maybe it's worth a shot one day. The setting and vibe seem very chill and pleasing, which is something of a rarity in gaming. What does the multiplayer entail, really, besides Turnip mafia? Is there synchronous online multiplayer, or only local? Maybe I oughta watch the Direct...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 08:57:02 AM »
All the games in the series have been iterative. This one actually seems like arguably the biggest step forward we've ever seen, which I suppose makes sense since it's also had the longest time since the previous game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 02:21:33 PM »
This was the reason I bought a Switch all along. Nintendo merging their handheld and console departments was a good idea and I think we’re going to see a lot of those flourishes streamlined in this game. I really can’t wait to get it all started. I have a bunch of Amiibo cards that I barely remember buying, glad I can keep using them. I’ll try to buy some of the new ones whenever they’re printed. I had my hopes up high for this one- maybe too high, but after the direct I’m expecting a really robust experience.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 12:33:39 PM »
This will be my first Animal Crossing game. The closest thing I have played in to AC is Stardew Valley, which I enjoyed. Are these similar? What are the main differences?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 12:56:35 PM »
Less emphasis on farming in AC. No combat whatsoever (unless you count being bitten by bugs/spiders/scorpions). Purely platonic relationships.

I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but AC is the Sesame Street to Stardew's Muppet Show. Both are good shows in their own right, and I do not mean to frame AC as 'kiddie', but there is certainly much less depth to AC than there is in Stardew. But it makes up for it in a lot of other areas. You get much more thorough customization in AC.

I spent hundreds of hours in AC: City Folk (and an awful lot in New Leaf as well) with fellow forums here and it was just fun to hang out and do things. Stardew is more of a "life sim" for a farmer/adventurer/country living. AC is kinda like a 6-year-old's idea of a life sim. Imagine Calvin & Hobbes on an infinite summer vacation, but probably with less destruction -though we certainly found ways to be mischievous! Or think of it as your own 100-Acre Wood and you are Christopher Robin with your animal friends.

The town island is your playground and there is plenty to do. And I just got myself even more excited for the game because of those fun analogies. Now I have to make the hardest choice: physical or digital?
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »
This will be my first Animal Crossing game. The closest thing I have played in to AC is Stardew Valley, which I enjoyed. Are these similar? What are the main differences?
I would personally say they're not similar at all. One of the main differences is that Animal Crossing runs in real time as opposed to days being just a few minutes. There's also no story and not much in the way of management aspects, like no farming or anything. It's much more accurately a "life simulator" than Harvest Moon and its derivatives.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 01:10:55 PM »
One of the main differences is that Animal Crossing runs in real time as opposed to days being just a few minutes.
That is probably a good thing. There was a week where I was so hooked on Stardew Valley that I played like 8 hours a day because that day loop was so short and kept saying "just one more day". This sounds much more relaxing.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 10:02:21 PM »
One of the main differences is that Animal Crossing runs in real time as opposed to days being just a few minutes.
That is probably a good thing. There was a week where I was so hooked on Stardew Valley that I played like 8 hours a day because that day loop was so short and kept saying "just one more day". This sounds much more relaxing.
I last played City Folk in the series and lots of fun with the members here.  It can be relaxing but other times different events can bring about some play where you want to get the items from said event and you can play a lot of the game during those events.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 11:10:22 PM »
Here is a video going over the changes from past games in the series to New Horizons. '

For Bnm and others- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puHcjJyvaqs

Just to go over a little summary of what they talked about here are the details.

Create and destroy terrain to customize how your island looks and the design of it.  This is probably the biggest change as you are not stuck with whatever map that you started with. Let your creativity flow!

Crafting furniture,tools and other things. This is a big change since it allows you to create what you want without having to wait around for the stores to carry it.

Also with the crafting system you are actually engaged into the game more since in past games I know I did the typical things of the day like checking the beach for shells and fish, getting all the native and foreign fruit, checking the stores for different items that you might want and hope it is there or repurchasing an item from the catalog to fit the theme of whatever new idea you thought of and then talking with the villagers about different tasks they may have and then going to your house and putting it all together and put away things.

Crafting allows for the item you wish to make is pretty instantationus since you likely already have the items you need.

Full HD. That should speak for itself.

Many new buildings that are massive with ways to keep you occupied.

TV play docked and undocked in handheld mode.

Make your town how you like with different construction projects like bridges,ramps, staircases and slopes.

Character customization is more streamlined and robust being able to select from a list of styles for hair, eyes, mouth and many more parts of you body and look.  Also it looks like everything is gender neutral meaning any type of hair style, eye shape and mouth you want can happen no matter your gender. Somewhat similar to Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Nook Mileage Program-  https://www.ign.com/wikis/animal-crossing-new-horizons/Nook_Miles#What_are_Nook_Miles.3F

Designate where your villagers can move into.  No more 4 houses together if you don't want that. You can make that option if you like but you get to decide where everyone lives.

Tool wheel.  Be able to select whatever tool you wish with one handy wheel on screen. 

New storage system that you can enter your house and select what you want to store and you don't need a
Fridge, Amorie,Dressers, Locker,Wardrobe or Cabinet item in the house.

Furniture moves much quicker. No more grabbing an item and moving it square by square.

8 player online multiplayer or 4 player local. Yeah more friends in an online session.  I know many times in City Folk where we had 5 people would wanted to play together but we had to leave that player out and alone till one of the folks in the 4 player group left the town to go to that sole players town. No more of that!! More friends!!!

New safety features for online. No more cutting down that persons trees or digging up the town unless you are a best friend on that players list. No more stalking every one of your guests!

Character designer through the Able Sisters shop.  I will let the video speak for its self aside from saying that you can choose what pigment of skin your character is without having to soak in the sun to get a tan.  Not everyone is caucasian.

Nook Phone. https://www.ign.com/wikis/animal-crossing-new-horizons/NookPhone_Apps

Oh also there is pole vaulting as well!

Khushrenada if you want you can add this post to the OP.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:12:00 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 02:14:29 PM »
Good greif with all the new town customization options in Animal Crossing I feel like people are going to make some SUPER creative and innovative towns. WAY more creative than my poor little island T-T
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: The Animal Crossing: New Horizons Thread of Madness
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »
I am seeing delays for the Amazon pre-orders:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/03/amazon_is_delaying_shipments_of_animal_crossing_new_horizons

My pre-order is through Best Buy and appears to be in transit.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 10:11:17 AM »
Good greif with all the new town customization options in Animal Crossing I feel like people are going to make some SUPER creative and innovative towns. WAY more creative than my poor little island T-T
I am sure when you figure out how you want to make it it will be great. Plus if you don't like it you can change it till you are satisfied.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 10:12:35 AM »
Has anyone predownloaded the game?  I am kinda interested in what people think of the game thus far. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 10:45:29 AM »
I played a little bit right after midnight and have played all morning. The game has a way of giving faster access to tools and items. having two currencies is fun because you’re just constantly getting both as a result of incentivizing every task beyond a Happy Home Academy score. I will say for anyone curious about the speed of things that as it stands now I wasn’t able to upgrade to better quality tools until after a certain point and I’m a day away from have the museum and my house a day away. Usually getting a house upgrade or access to certain tools could take days or weeks depending on ones play style.

It’s gorgeous and the music is cool, I played with headphones and really enjoyed the sound quality. I think the Nook Link mobile app has a cool design, but is ok at best. I’m interested in scanning in some QR codes and I like there is a list of villagers, but there isn’t any details about them beside their name and picture. There’s a space for another app, I’m not sure what it could be for. That’s just from my few hours of playing. Overall I’m enjoying my time with it so far.

Has anyone predownloaded the game?  I am kinda interested in what people think of the game thus far. 
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 04:00:20 PM »
Played it for like 3 hours last night and, joy of joys, I woke up and played it more this morning! Waking up to Animal Crossing is the purest joy I've had in a while!

So, only two days in, but I'm enjoying it a bunch so far. I like how there are systems here that really give a lot of structure to the early game, both the Nook Mile rewards for doing different sorts of activities, to choosing which crafting recipes I'm going to pursue, to focusing on levelling up my tools, my house, and also gathering enough donations to earn a museum.

I was actually afraid hearing that a bunch of stuff was locked early on, like not starting out with the pole. But two days in, I realized that these are mostly locked behind progressing on certain things, and while the game doesn't tell you this it means that you can actually unlock stuff faster than before. Previous games we've had to wait for new days to get new tools, but in this game they give you 4 tools almost right off the bat (you just have to craft them), and then I think the shovel is locked behind getting blathers to move in (I can't remember exactly).

So, I feel like I'm SO far into the game right now with just 5 hours over two days compared to previous versions where without time traveling I think I'd need to play a week to get here.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »
My partner and I both started the game last night. As others mentioned it is very nice looking and sounding. The dialogue is pretty funny too. I was also pleasantly surprised to see there is local multiplayer. I can't wait to get back to the island today.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 08:40:34 PM »
Fair warning: you get additional bridges through a different means from the first one you craft, so don't waste all of your wood making wooden stakes for bridges.

On a completely unrelated note, if you need wooden stakes i'm pretty sure I have like 10 extra ones.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 04:17:00 PM »
If you're on my friends list I left my gate open while i'm at work so you should come on over to my island, pick some flowers, buy stuff at Nook's Cranny, explore the land, buy stuff at Nook's Cranny, talk to my villagers, buy stuff at Nook's Cranny, catch some bugs/fish, buy stuff at Nook's Cranny.This totally isn't some scheme to quickly unlock Nook's shop upgrades while I'm at work. What makes you think that?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 07:37:06 PM »
Caved and downloaded the game digitally. Did the math and between savings from taxes and the gold coins its about the same as buying physical from Walmart for $50 so may as well bite the bullet. I used the gold coins + some of my stash to get Doom 64 alongside it, because it felt fitting to get both. Not tried either because I've been busy with other things, but hope to be on soon.

We got a discord group or something for chatting while playing, since I know this game won't support voice chat, because why would they keep good features found in 3-generation-old versions of the game?
My Game Collection

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 01:51:02 AM »
Actually it supports text chat via the switch online app where messages you type there are beamed to the game. I believe you can voice chat as well.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile