Author Topic: Topic of the Day (2020 Edition)  (Read 329688 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Topic of the Day
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2020, 06:33:01 PM »
With Khush away for the weekend, I thought I’d pick a topic of the day that reminds us of him being a Ducks fan with the discussion of Emilio Estevez returning for the new Mighty Ducks reboot in the Disney+ thread.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2020, 06:46:46 PM »
Todays topic is the topic of the day thread in honor of Khushrenada and Insanolord both forgetting to name a Topic of the Day. I call this Topic-ception.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2020, 07:04:42 PM »
I didn’t forget, I just hadn’t done it yet. It’s not even 7:00 on the east coast and there hasn’t been much activity today. Anyway, today’s thread is the NBA thread, which has been the topic of the day before but has seen a high amount of posts the last couple days because of the recent NBA All-Star Game.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:08:33 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »
Thanks Insanolord for stepping in while I was away. Looks like Nintendo's finally getting around to doing the Animal Crossing Direct everyone's been expecting them to do for weeks. Get ready to watch people move furniture around, catch fish and shake trees for fruit. The excitement is real.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »
Since there was no Weekend Reading while I was away, I thought I'd use the current forum activity slowdown to highlight a game that came out last week and got a 9.5 review from NWR. That game is Florence and you can read the review here. Now it can further have its day in the sun as Topic of the Day.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2020, 02:04:24 PM »
What? No love for my topic of the day choice? I poured my heart and soul into that. So much blood, sweat and tears went into that decision. It's way more creative than making the NBA thread topic of the day for the 18th time.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2020, 03:36:22 PM »
What? No love for my topic of the day choice? I poured my heart and soul into that. So much blood, sweat and tears went into that decision. It's way more creative than making the NBA thread topic of the day for the 18th time.

Couldn't accept it. It was factually incorrect. I didn't forget the thread. I had asked Insanolord to cover for me from Feb. 15-17. Next time get your facts straight and maybe your suggestion will be considered.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2020, 09:18:03 PM »
Since it was a rare Nintendo Direct day, might as well go with the actual Animal Crossing Switch Direct as the topic of the day. The save state situation for the game has definitely been a big talking point on Discord. What a topic.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2020, 08:30:57 PM »
Perhaps it seems to be happening more and more but when a game gets a 10/10 score then I think most people will still take notice of that. The review for Two Point Hospital is one of those rare reviews to hand out such a score. Take that, The Stretchers! Tooooooooopppppppppiiiiccccccc oftheday.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2020, 09:11:52 PM »
I'm just going to declare the Streetpass retrospective bit I did as the Topic of the Day since Khush has abandoned us.

The NBA thread is getting alot of attention as well but I'd prefer to bring a fresh face in here.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2020, 09:10:27 AM »
I'm just going to declare the Streetpass retrospective bit I did as the Topic of the Day since Khush has abandoned us.

'tis a good thread.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2020, 04:03:12 PM »
Well Khush hasn't come back to kick me out yet so today's Topic of the Day will be my 2020 gaming resolutions thread that's apparently returned to the forefront.

Another good one is this Talkback thread on the new mythical Pokémon. Come one and come all to try and outnerd me in Pokémon.

For anyone who doesn't want to deal with me, the Amazon customer service thread has come back from the dead and sparked some discussion.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:39:03 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2020, 03:41:10 PM »
I've seen Khush around recently so I suspect this will be my last go around with this but just in case he's still busy I'm going to name the Arms Manga discussion in Talkback as topic of the day. It had some discussion on both discord and here on the forums so here's hoping this keeps going strong.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:44:07 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »
GDC was canceled which seems to have generated some fun discussion on Discord. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have translated to the forums but maybe making it Topic of the Day will fix that.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2020, 03:18:29 AM »
Feb. 22, 2020

Weekend Reading!

It may not have much to do with gaming but I am pretty excited about the return of Better Call Saul. Season 5's first episode airs this Sunday night and AMC has decided to burn through episode two by having it air on Monday the next night. Hopefully there are other users out there who've been following along with this series and will be keeping me company in the Better Call Saul Thread in the TV/Movie forum as the show plays out.

(Although perhaps the real topic should be how much car accidents suck. One of life's biggest bummers.)

Other topics of interest:

If you are looking for something to play instead of talkin' TV then allow me to mention some games recently released on the Switch eShop this week which were positively received by NWR staff. I already highlighted the 10/10 review for Two Point Hospital yesterday but you might have missed these titles and reviews:

Sega Ages: Puyo Puyo 2 managed to get a review high score of 9.
Vitamin Connection may be the cure for your boredom based on its 9.0 review.

Meanwhile, the Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Cindered Shadows DLC, Devil May Cry 3, and Double Dragon & Kunio-kun Retro Brawler Bundle also received high praise with 8.5 reviews while Depixtion and Darksiders Genesis were awarded scores of 8.

Of course, a game is more than just a review score so do try to check out the articles to see what is appealing about those titles and if they might appeal to you also.

As always, you may want to check in and let us know what you are playing or the latest game you've just beat. (Or maybe even do a Reader Review about a game and possibly have that become a Topic of the Day. :o )

And if none of that interests you then maybe you can try and figure out just what ThePerm is trying to do or hint at in his Name That Movie Thread.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2020, 03:21:26 AM »
Feb. 24, 2020

After having highlighted the NBA thread a few times, I'd like to highlight the NHL (Hockey Discussion) Thread particularly since today is the Trade Deadline so there should be some intriguing moves happening. Since hockey is about the only major sport I sort of follow, it'd be nice to see a bit more chatting happening there like the NBA thread seems to get. Topic of the day.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2020, 03:24:37 AM »
Feb. 25, 2020

At this point, I think it may be clear I've got a soft spot for the 3DS and will be a lifelong fan of the system. Thus, any thread or topic about it is going to immediately catch my interest and hopefully it will also be of interest to other Nintendo gamers. Therefore, the question on What games made the best use of Streetpass on 3DS? is absolutely NWR's TOPIC OF THE DAYYYYYYYY.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2020, 03:28:38 AM »
Feb. 26, 2020

Do you find it intriguing to go back to an older topic and find out how things have progressed on the matter for discussion since then? I do and that's why I've found the recent postings in the New Year's Gaming Resolution Thread to be of interest. Even if you may not have posted any specific gaming resolutions yourself when it first started, you may want to join in by letting other user's in on how your gaming in the new year has been going so far as well.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2020, 03:32:28 AM »
Feb. 27, 2020

Apparently, it is Pokemon Day. Since that is one major Nintendo series I'm still out of the loop on, I'm afraid I'm not even sure why today is specifically Pokemon Day. However, it does mean the announcement of a new mythical Pokemon so I'm guessing that is big news for the 13 or so million players who are into Pokemon. Pokemon Topic of the Day.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2020, 03:38:47 AM »
Feb. 28, 2020

I wanted to do this a lot sooner but I delayed it since there was more I meant to post in Part 1. However, I don't want to delay this forever so the part two in the Best of the 3DS eShop: 2012 Releases is here. And while there may not be any slam dunk titles listed, there might still be a hidden gem or two someone here has played that they'd like to recommend. I've found this series of reviewing the eShop to be informative and, at the very least, I hope it has been the same for others and maybe encouraged a bit more exploration on a title or two you may have forgotten about or knew existed.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2020, 04:24:21 AM »
Weekend Reading!

The Topic of the Day or Weekend is all about.... the Topic of the Day!  :o Or more specifically, find out if there are other users who would like to post the Topic of the Day like Pokepal started doing this week while I delayed on doing so. If so, check out the thread and sign on up.

Other topics of interest:

If you are looking for something to play instead of posting on this forum then SHAME ON YOU!! >:(  But I'll still try to help you out by highlighting some games recently released on the Switch eShop this week which were positively received by NWR staff. Games with a pretty positive score this week are:

Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection which blasted its way to a very respectable score of 9.0.

Managing to pull off a fine score of 8.5 are Bloodroots and poorly-titled-gibberish-word-salad Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r].

And let's not forget about Rune Factory 4 Special, a series that may be trying to make a comeback and developed a few diehard fans over the years, which managed to get a score of 8.

Of course, a game is more than just a review score so do try to check out the articles to see what is appealing about those titles and if they might appeal to you also. (Especially when the title gives you no idea what the game is about. Isn't that right, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r]?)

As always, you may want to check in and let us know what you are playing or the latest game you've just beat. (Or maybe even do a Reader Review about a game and possibly have that become a Topic of the Day. :o )

Otherwise, you may just want to wish everyone here a Happy Leap Day while you can. (And judging by when I finally made this post, you now can't.  :-[  ;) ).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 01:27:53 AM by The President »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2020, 08:54:13 PM »
It's here! It's here!!! The sign-up thread for the next Mafia game has arrived and for the 85th game, NWR Mafia is finally tackling the Metroid franchise. You can sign-up here as the details for the game continue to be revealed leading up to its launch. It may have taken 15 years but Metroid Dread is finally here and exclusive to the NWR Forum members.  :o 8)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2020, 05:16:05 PM »
Well, it is the dawn of Year 4 for the Nintendo Switch and you know what that means: Terrible takes! But while it might seem that the Topic of the Day is rather obvious based on where most of the posting is happening today, I'm afraid I must go with another golden oldie and let us never forget how the Switch's doom was predicted months (MONTHS!) before it launched. Forever shall it be March 3rd's TOPIC OF THE DAY!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
I have dozens upon dozens of cold takes on NWR so I don't take pleasure in other people being wrong about things. Still, I'm glad Switch has been successful from a discussion perspective if only because I probably would have left the forums if I had to deal with forum-user Miyamoto incessantly gloating and disrupting whole threads. He hasn't been active in two years so he probably has at least one shame regarding how smug he was being with his Switch takes.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2020, 05:40:53 PM »
I probably would have left the forums if I had to deal with forum-user Miyamoto incessantly gloating and disrupting whole threads.
Would you be okay with the real Miyamoto doing this?