Author Topic: Topic of the Day (2020 Edition)  (Read 329679 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Topic of the Day (2020 Edition)
« on: January 02, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
As Assistant to the Community Manager  8), I'm still scheming about how to keep conversations and interest on this forum happening. I still maintain that my "5 posts a day" idea would be all this forum needs if the regulars participated (and it could probably drop down to 3 if enough were doing it) but, unlike the cost of coffee per day, it seems to be too much for people here.   ;)

So, moving on to my next idea. Each day of the week (except for Saturday and Sunday which will have just have 1 topic for the weekend), I thought I'd highlight a topic, conversation or event for the interest of the community to participate in or be aware of. This could be anything from a topic in the gaming forums, a news item, a review whether it be Talkback, Reader or Movie/TV, a Funhouse joke thread, etc. I have sometimes noticed on NWR's Discord that there can be an interesting topic for discussion that will arise and get a bit of activity but then can be lost as the conversation and infinite scroll moves on. From time to time, I may pull a topic from there to discuss further here.

I'll try to have something chosen by 1:00 PM EST though depending on what is going on for me that day then I may not always meet that deadline. (And I'm sure it will be later on Saturday for the weekend. :P ) You can check in here for the link to the Topic of the Day as I will post it here in a new post in reply to this thread.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:52:52 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Topic of the Day
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:43:44 AM »
Today's Forum Highlight: January 2020 is Meme Avatar Month

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 02:31:25 PM »
FWIW, I hate infinite scroll in discord so never check there, but I get the feeling it's way more happening then the forums these days? All the cool cats go there right?  I'm just too old...
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 03:13:44 PM »
Some days it is. Yes, on average, there are more posts there per day than the forums but there can be long periods without any major discussion happening as well. I keep up with the scroll for the most part but 75% of the time it is also a lot of stuff and posting that kind of bores me so... :shrug:

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 10:36:58 PM »
As long as no one is talking about me behind my back.

But topics of the day sound fun.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 02:04:08 PM »
Welp. It's a bit past the deadline I was going to set and the topic I thought of creating is going to take some more work. Meanwhile, Discord is practically dead soooooo, let's go with.....

Who likes hot sauce?

Also, although it was created before this topic of the day idea, if you haven't checked out Daan's Top 30 Games for 2019, it is still worth a perusal.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 02:25:00 PM »
As long as no one is talking about me behind my back.

But topics of the day sound fun.

Fear not. We prefer to say bad things face-to-face for the full impact.

... soooooo, let's go with.....
Who likes hot sauce?

Spicy!
But Daan's article is way more interesting... even if it is yesterday's news.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 02:26:52 PM by ejamer »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 02:32:48 PM »
Weekend Reading!

With 84th Mafia game about to start soon, let's go with the Sign-Up Thread for the game as the main topic for the weekend and give a final reminder for everyone about joining it in time.

A couple other things worth-highlighting would be:

Shaymin/Donald's Predictions for the year as we wait for the first Nintendo Direct to drop and start giving us some legit info for 2020.

If he had started it earlier on Friday, I'd have made it the topic of the day but I was too anxious to post something sooner. In any case, if you are looking for an outlet to post something stupid with cats then pokepal's lolcat takeover is the place to be.

And with The Mandalorian over, the discussion is already beginning on whether D+ is still worth it and the future of that streaming service in the Disney+ Thread.. Feel free to jump in there with your thoughts on the shiny digital streaming future.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 01:57:47 PM »
There's a chance you may have already checked it out yesterday. I was hoping it might have been released closer in the evening but in any case so that it would be a little fresher but I'm still going to go with NWR's 2019 Game Awards as the topic of the day.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »
Continuing the theme of 2019 review, today's topic is what you played in 2019 whether it was a 2019 release or not.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
Reading a whole topic in one day?! I'm out of breath just thinking about it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 03:01:22 AM »
Reading a whole topic in one day?! I'm out of breath just thinking about it.

That could be a topic!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 04:08:35 PM »
I'm late, I'm late. Well, one thread getting more attention of late is the NBA thread and injury talk so let's make that the Topic of the Day.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 12:46:10 PM »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 02:13:10 PM »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 05:26:57 PM »
Your topic for the weekend is the unwanted return of Safe Words. Please sign-up while you have the chance

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 03:53:45 PM »
Tough call. Various topics have some activity happening. There is the weekly downloads topic I could highlight but it doesn't have the spreadsheet anymore or a link to a site listing all the sales available for Nintendo's eShops.

But I think I'm going to go with the place generating the most user heat right now and that is the Mafia 84 Day 3 Thread Critical time for the players as the mafia side continues to elude the townie side and the game could soon be split into three groups making for a tough endgame. How's it going to play out?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »
Well, it may not be the hottest topic on the forums based on posts so far but the news that the next Smash DLC character will be revealed Friday has got the Discord channel buzzing. Topic of the day! (And I know what Friday's topic will be too.  ;D )

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »
Another slower day so let's do something stale a blast from the past. No one has been able to win this game yet but maybe it can happen now. Will you be the one to make UncleBob reply to this thread?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 01:33:47 PM »
As predicted, today's topic is the news on Smash's latest character addition.

Except, I thought the 16th was Friday earlier this week so I did make a bit of a mistake in that prediction.  :-[

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 04:31:46 PM »
Not too much for topics happening right now. Even though it ain't new, guess I'll go with Daan's Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore review with that game releasing today.

For added reference, Daan reviewed the game when it first came out the Wii U here and Donald also did a review of the Wii U version here for a second opinion.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 08:51:43 AM »
Not too much for topics happening right now. Even though it ain't new, guess I'll go with Daan's Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore review with that game releasing today.

For added reference, Daan reviewed the game when it first came out the Wii U here and Donald also did a review of the Wii U version here for a second opinion.

Dang... Have this game on Wii U, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
Sounds like I need to make time sooner than later, given how strong the review impressions are.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 09:15:28 AM »
Dang... Have this game on Wii U, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
Sounds like I need to make time sooner than later, given how strong the review impressions are.

Tokyo Mirage is unironically a very good game. I think it suffers from a bad early dungeon, and a lot of the non-story specific sidequests are just dull fetchquests. And I'd wager the setting doesn't do it many favours for most of us. But once the battle system clicks and you start begrudgingly liking some of the characters, despite their anime behaviour tropes, the game really starts ramping up.

Comfortably in my top 10 Wii U releases.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 01:18:29 PM »
Bit late with the Weekend topic. After getting voted out of Mafia, I then got a cold bringing to an end my almost 2 and half year streak of not getting sick. As such, I've been drifting in and out of sleep with little energy. But enough about me. What you really want is to talk about the Trevorrow Star Wars script differences. Or so it would seem based on how that topic has been heating up in the Movie/TV forum.

As a reminder, there is still time to join the Safe Words game about to launch soon. Click here for that.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »
Although it was posted a couple days ago, I don't really follow Podcast Discussion stuff. That said, I see there is this thread for a retroactive on Rhythm Thief 3DS which is still one of my favorite games for the 3DS and I think everyone should check out. Best thing Sega released last decade and I wish it got the sequel it wanted. Topic of the day!