Author Topic: Topic of the Day (2020 Edition)  (Read 329663 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Topic of the Day
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 07:30:57 PM »
That's a bummer, get well soon!

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 03:20:14 AM »
Well, when I was on for a bit early afternoon, I didn't really see much activity happening and a couple topics I've planned I just didn't have the energy to create so I decided to let it slide. But I'll give BeautifulShy her wish and highlight her WNBA Thread as the topic of the day. Sports!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 05:11:30 AM »
Well, when I was on for a bit early afternoon, I didn't really see much activity happening and a couple topics I've planned I just didn't have the energy to create so I decided to let it slide. But I'll give BeautifulShy her wish and highlight her WNBA Thread as the topic of the day. Sports!
Thank you. I figured you would get around to my topic sooner or later.   Hope you feel better Khushrenada. :)
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 04:15:28 PM »
Thanks for all the well-wishes everyone. Couldn't get to sleep last night until like 4 AM. But when I did and I woke up after noon, today is the first day I woke up feeling alright. Still suffering through some of the symptoms but I just seem to have a bit more energy and the tightness in my chest seems to have finally loosened a bit. Finally some progress with this virus.

As for today's topic, I think I'm going to go with the Mafia Day 7 Thread. I've had some info revealed to me so I pretty much now who's who and what's what at this point. Thus, I can't comment too much about it but I am very curious to see how things play out today. But don't just take my word for it...

Think I had more enjoyment following than actually being in it. I may start lurking in this forum after this.

Nice thought but if everyone watches and no one participates then there is nothing to watch. Topic of the daaaaayyyyyy.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2020, 05:04:48 PM »
Again, I don't really follow much of the podcasts here but I have noticed the recent RFN Podcast discussing the top 10 games of the past decade has been getting a few comments each day as people add their own lists and comment on the choices. (Presumably this is for games on Nintendo systems only but I'm just guessing on that.) So, if you are looking for more of that Best of the Decade type discussion than this may be of interest to you.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 05:22:33 PM »
I've been waiting and, sure enough, we got one of my favorite topics launched today: The Mafia Game End Thread where all the players get together and hash out how the game went for them and make their angry declarations of revenge on the players who wronged them to pump us up for next game. If you thought the Dead Thread was starting to look like a Springer talk show the Endgame thread will put that to shame now. Topic. ofthe. Day.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 05:31:26 PM »
I've been waiting and, sure enough, we got one of my favorite topics launched today: The Mafia Game End Thread where all the players get together and hash out how the game went for them and make their angry declarations of revenge on the players who wronged them to pump us up for next game. If you thought the Dead Thread was starting to look like a Springer talk show the Endgame thread will put that to shame now. Topic. ofthe. Day.
It was a joy to host the game although I had to make some difficult choices to try to remain balanced and neutral for every side.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 03:00:04 PM »
I was already leaning towards making this the Weekend topic yesterday but dragged my feet on it. However, with the recent Kobe Byrant news, I'd say the NBA thread is definitely going to be the topic for this weekend.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 12:14:08 PM »
Today's topic goes to Steefosaurus who wants you to try and predict what Nintendo will be announcing/releasing in 2020. Are you up to the task? Have you sacrificed a goat recently and examined what the entrails reveal for the future? Then please join in posting your 100% accurate predictions in the thread.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 04:35:48 PM »
Is a movie club a feasible idea for this forum? How would it work? Who'd be interested in it? This and more are all up for discussion in today's topic.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2020, 04:48:00 PM »
I've been meaning to highlight this thread a few times so let's make today it's moment in the sun. The Club Nintendo Retrospective shall finally get its due as topic of the day.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2020, 12:50:08 PM »
Let's do this early today. One of the favorite topics of discussion on this forum has often been sales numbers and figures for Nintendo. Maybe that is because of UncleBob and the six shares of stock he owns in the company. Whatever the reason, the big topic of the day has got to be Nintendo's 2019 Third Quarter Fiscal Results. Although the margins are slim, it is looking like Nintendo will still be around for another year so I guess they aren't doomed just yet.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 03:41:09 PM »
The trip through the 3DS eshop continues with a look into the first releases of 2012. Talk about what you've played and what you liked or didn't like. Remind yourself of past games you maybe meant to pick up but forgot about. Keep the 3DS alive in your hearts before Switch kills it some more in sales. Day of the Topic.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2020, 02:35:32 PM »
Weekend Reading!

Well, the big topic for the weekend is probably the big game. So, you'll probably want to keep up with the action as it unfolds and a winner is declared this weekend for Safe Words 15. Which of the Final Four players will be able to secure victory?

Other Reading

Of course, there is some other sporting event happening at some point this weekend. If you really feel like keeping up with two games then maybe you'll want to make some comments in a little thread about discussin' the NFL. But with the Browns not playing anytime soon, is there really anything to discuss?

Although a lot of the discussion has been about the headline, let's give Xander his due and promote his actual thoughts about Paper Mario and what he thinks might happen for the Switch with that series.

And while I hate to burn through a lot of topics, I did want to throw a spotlight on a recent eShop Switch release: Aviary Attorney: Definitive Edition. If you're an Ace Attorney fan then the name may have got your attention like it did mine. From the look of it, it might scratch that itch for that style of play. Plus, it got an 8 so it is one of the higher rated titles for games released on the eShop over the past week.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
Welp, since griping about the Switch joy-cons still seems to be a thing that gets people posting, I guess I'll give the Joy-Con Graveyard the prestigious Topic of the Day award. Hopefully, this will get everyone who needs to post about the problematic joysticks to do so now and get it out of their system so that they can finally move on to the Pro Controllers.  8) Then you'll be playing with power.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2020, 01:25:52 PM »
Mop it up started a trend in the Switch Discussion Thread about listing what your most played games have been on the Switch so far according to one's system. Always interesting to see what other users have enjoyed playing so hopefully more will join in on that discussion. T to the opic of the Day.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2020, 07:54:04 PM »
Back when I started this Topic of the Day, I mentioned...

I have sometimes noticed on NWR's Discord that there can be an interesting topic for discussion that will arise and get a bit of activity but then can be lost as the conversation and infinite scroll moves on. From time to time, I may pull a topic from there to discuss further here.

And yet, I've never acted on that...... until now!!! Pulled from the NWR Discord, the most important topic of this slow chatting day is not the YIIK ridicule pokepal is trying to engage in there but the fact that the Nintendo GameCube is poised to be the best-selling console of all time thanks to Nintendo's hardware strategy. Now that's a topic worth discussing!

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
The trade deadline seems to have sparked another flurry of discussion in the NBA Thread so I guess it will take another turn as topic of the day.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »
While it is not getting as much discussion on the forums as it has on Discord this morning, the Animal Crossing Switch game save situation has seemed to irk a lot of Nintendo gamers and sparked a lot of complaints. In any case, anyone looking forward to the next Animal Crossing game may want to make sure they are aware of the save situation in order to decide how they want to play the game if their town/island cannot move over to another console. Obviously, the best way to make players aware of this is by making this news........ the topic of the daaaaaaaayyyyyy.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2020, 03:24:30 PM »
Weekend Reading!

You knew it was coming and my Annual Oscar Thread is here. Got it started with a long and pointless introduction just like the ceremony (ZING?) and will keep updating over the weekend leading into the big show with my thoughts on the films nominated and my Oscar Predictions. Feel free to chime in with yours as always.

Other topics of interest:

If you are looking for something to play instead of talkin' films then here a few reviews posted for some games recently released on the Switch eShop this week which were positively received by NWR staff which you may have missed reading about.

Kentucky Route Zero received a 9.5 review.
Kunai scored a 9 in its review.
And Knights and Bikes was awarded a score of 8.

Of course, a game is more than just a review score so do try to check out the articles to see what is appealing about those titles and if they might appeal to you also.

As always, you may want to check in and let us know what you are playing or the latest game you've just beat. (Or maybe even do a Reader Review about a game and possibly have that become a Topic of the Day. :o )

And if none of that interest you then maybe you're getting old and want to let everyone know just how old you are.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2020, 07:47:47 PM »
Was thinking of giving nothing the Topic of the Day with such little activity. Even Discord is hardly moving. I guess everyone is still hung over from the Oscars after parties. I've still got a lot of topics I've been creating lately that I want to get back to and post some more in before starting another topic. But, rather than do nothing, I suppose I'll highlight lolmonade's review of Not Tonight which has garnered some attention by being a post-Brexit game. Since a couple new users on Discord mentioned they joined because of the site's reviews then maybe highlighting more reviews can have an effect with the forums too.  ;)

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2020, 06:58:39 PM »
After some recent successes like Joker, DC is back to fighting box office blues with Birds of Prey and what to do about it. It's got some of our users talking about the film also so that can be the Topic of the Day. (Although the real topic might be how long Nintendo is going to keep stringing us along without a Direct already. Bring back Nintendo Power if you're not going to keep making Directs in a timely manner.)

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2020, 04:00:13 PM »
Although the discussion of it started late yesterday, I'm going with the upcoming NES/SNES Switch Online titles soon to be added to the service as the big 'ol topicoftheday. Didn't expect these games for the next update, did ya? Since there are no likes or dislikes buttons on the forum (except for the honks), you'll have to leave a post for everyone to know what you think of the news.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2020, 06:53:59 PM »
I don't know about you but life has been getting kind of hectic of late. Insanolord might have to take over the Topic of the Day for a few days. But can we trust his judgement as to what is truly the TOPIC of the DAY? *insert thinking emoji that the forum software lacks* Personally, I'm not sure what to make today's topic. For whatever reason, Avatar is back in movie review form. But is a ten-year old movie really the most relevant topic ere or should we not be looking at the hip new games now available for download and purchasing as well as what's on sale? I guess for today's topic, YOU can decide. topic topic topic

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2020, 07:50:59 PM »
If you've got some Gaming Valentine's Day jokes then today is probably the best day to post them. How topical for today.