Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 682256 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Season Suspended Due To Pandemic And Gobert Dumbassery
« Reply #2200 on: March 12, 2020, 02:21:25 AM »
I have to take back my comment on Gobert. not an asshole. just your garden variety dumbass.

I found out that he previously made light of the Corona Virus in the media room a few days ago, and then as he was leaving the media table, decided to fake cough and then rub his hands all over all the media peoples equipment.
He was then tested afterwards, and found to be positive today before the game.
There's a chance he got it from stupidly joking around, or it's just ironic that he made light of it and then came down with it and shut the whole league down.

So. I take it back. not an asshole. just a dumbass. lol
Hopefully he never gets symptomatic and comes back full strength with the rest of the league.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2201 on: March 12, 2020, 04:48:20 AM »
I have to take back my comment on Gobert. not an asshole. just your garden variety dumbass.

I found out that he previously made light of the Corona Virus in the media room a few days ago, and then as he was leaving the media table, decided to fake cough and then rub his hands all over all the media peoples equipment.
He was then tested afterwards, and found to be positive today before the game.
There's a chance he got it from stupidly joking around, or it's just ironic that he made light of it and then came down with it and shut the whole league down.

So. I take it back. not an asshole. just a dumbass. lol
Hopefully he never gets symptomatic and comes back full strength with the rest of the league.
I agree it wasn't smart to mess with the mics like that but what probably happened is that he had the virus before he touched the mics since the incubation period is 14 days so he won't really show many signs so readily after touching the mics at least not at first. 
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 12, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »
The problem with a highly contagious virus like this is that many people will end up catching it. Those who travel often are especially at risk - how many airports has any given NBA player gone through recently? Interacting with fans, working out in different gyms and environments, dealing with all kinds of trainers and support staff on regular basis...

Gobert joking about COVID-19 was stupid, specifically because NBA players are at a relatively high risk of catching the virus - so there was a higher than average chance of his "joke" coming back to bite him (which it did). I won't crucify the guy for his actions, but it's certainly a bad look that he's (reportedly) the first one to be a confirmed case.

I'm bummed that the season is suspended. It's the smart move though. Very curious how long this will last and how they'll continue the season later though.

Surely the suspension will last for at least a full month before green flags are waved and things go back to normal - probably longer, given two-week incubation period followed by needing time to recover for those who do get sick? I wouldn't be surprised to see the league drop most remaining games - maybe give each team a few games after coming back to help players get back into rhythm and even out the number of games played, capping the season somewhere around/under 68-70 games before rolling into an abbreviated playoff series? Switching back to the old "best of 5" series for at least one round also makes sense, even though it's more upset friendly than the seven game slog we are used to seeing.

Stay healthy out there, ladies and gents. And don't lick any microphones.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:48:48 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 12, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
I remember seeing a post somewhere the other day with a vid of the lakers game where AD licked his hand, and then high fived Avery Bradley who then put his hand somewhere on his mouth, then went up to Lebron and have fived him

pre-post edit: https://twitter.com/i/status/1236772213002366977

Shutting the league down temporarily is the only safe play. Adam Silver made a great executive decision.
Players share contact with the ball, each other, and themselves by constantly touching their faces and clothes, or their faces to each others clothes. Transmission would become inevitable.

another pre-post edit: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/anthony-davis-licks-hand-immediately-high-fives-lebron-james-avery-bradley-during-lakers-win-over-clippers/

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2204 on: March 12, 2020, 11:00:50 AM »
Thread title continues to be justified. Sayeth Woj: Donovan Mitchell has tested positive because Gobert was touching other players and their belongings.

Dude might be out of the league before this is all over.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: March 12, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »
Thread title continues to be justified. Sayeth Woj: Donovan Mitchell has tested positive because Gobert was touching other players and their belongings.

And considering that the Jazz are my team, Gobert is allegedly team co-leader with Donovan, and Gobert is casting a negative public light on the NBA & the Jazz in particular... No, I'm going to continue calling him an asshole AND a dumbass. The SoB was feeling under the weather during the Raptors game, and yet he went out of his way to spread illness. Regardless of him not knowing he had Corobavirus, he still knew he had SOMETHING and spread it.

Speaking of, has the Raptors team been tested yet?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2206 on: March 12, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
Gotta go with a "stupid asshole" rating on Gobert here.  The disease is scaring people and coughing and rubbing your hands all over a bunch of microphones is immature and makes people uncomfortable at best.  That's an asshole move.  The "stupid" part is just the fact that now he has egg on his face for actually having it and possibly spread it.

The Lakers clip is also really irresponsible.  But, I will say that players are bound to spread it to each other anyway.  Gobert put media people (and their families) at risk.

I appreciate Silver's decisiveness on this issue by suspending the league right away.  Last thing we need is this spreading through the NBA.  Kudos to him.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 12, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »
More info comes to light, and now I have to retract my retraction.

Dumbassholery is the appropriate phrasing here.
League suspension for remainder of whatever is salvaged of this season, a hefty fine, and a large number of games suspension into next season might be price for Gobert to pay here.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: March 12, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »
People need to chill out just a bit. The virus will spread regardless; by the time this happened, COVID-19 has already been spreading rapidly across the US and many other countries. Changing behavior will slow transmission but not stop it. Jazz players blaming Gobert for being careless in the locker room aren't wrong to do so, but it would be very hard to prove that they didn't catch it from other sources (including, possibly, whatever source first spread the virus to Gobert).

Being afraid isn't going to help; people should stay calm and rational. Note that I'm not trying to excuse people for acting stupidly, or making bad jokes out in public about a unfortunate and serious situation... But flying to extreme conclusions (out of the league? really?) is also a bit foolish. A fine and public apology so he serves as a warning for others is probably much more appropriate.

Suspending the league while the pandemic passes was always a likely outcome, maybe the most likely, even though I didn't want to admit that to myself until it actually happened. The odds of nobody in the league coming down with COVID-19 seemed pretty slim from the beginning, and as soon as anyone does have it there isn't much else you can do as a reasonable response (unless you want to just accept that everyone will be exposed to it).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 12, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
purposely spreading an infectious disease, especially one that has the potential to possibly kill you and/or the person you passed it to, should come with a consequence.

Since Gobert was the dumbass doing it purposely in public, and then to his teammates in jest as a way to mock the seriousness of this, even if he didn't know he had it at the time, needs to be made an example of.

I'm not expecting a life ban from the NBA, but suspension for the remainder of the season, if it continues, a hefty fine (he can afford it), and then # of games suspension leading into the next season doesn't sound unreasonable for the person that in hindsight really made a ass of himself on live TV and put his whole team (and their close friends and family) at risk.

We'll never know if he was the source, but since he got caught in the spotlight, blame falls on him.
You know what they say: Play Stupid Games.... Get Stupid Prizes!!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:15:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2210 on: March 12, 2020, 12:42:38 PM »
purposely spreading an infectious disease, especially one that has the potential to possibly kill you and/or the person you passed it to, should come with a consequence.

He didn't spread the disease on purpose, he did so unknowingly.  He should have been generally cautious, but not a total asshole like he was.  I think a fine and public apology to the league, media, and fans is more than enough punishment.  Everyone is missing games right now.

Should AD get suspending for licking his hands before a high-five? What about other players joking around the locker rooms?  Gobert should be fined for his generally lack of professionalism in that situation, but not suspended for spreading the disease.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 12, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »
from what was said, Gobert was sick previously (under the weather with something), then joked around about Covid19, did all he could to jokingly spread a disease he only joked about, we then find out he had it, and now it comes out a teammate of his also has it likely due to the antics of Gobert pretending to spread his germs to reporters and teammates.

Even if it wasn't this new virus, and was just a common cold or flu, it's still a foolish assholish thing to do. And the fact that he made light of it and did in public should, then turned out to have possibly spread it in the process should have consequences. If anyone can reasonably connect contact with Gobert during said antics, that led to them possibly contracting and then unknowingly spreading the virus to a vulnerable loved one at home, and that vulnerable loved one dies because of said disease, Gobert could possibly have some legal liability there. (I'm not a lawyer, but I live in Cali... people are sue happy out here.)

maybe suspension into next season is a bit much, but definitely a fine and suspension for some games this season, and then to be the spokes person for some NBA outreach regarding personal hygiene and minimizing risk of spreading dirty germs everywhere.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: March 12, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »
What's funny to me is that amidst all this, there's actually been a mild amount of drama surrounding Gobert behind the scenes. Despite having a generally bad year all things considered (especially the last few months), Gobert's been pushing the Jazz to give him a Supermax extension to his contract given his 2 time DPotY awards & All Star status, something the Jazz absolutely cannot give him right now (especially since it looks like all the offseason moves except Bogey were a total bust). Until this pandemic started, his contract gripes were largely considered a contributing factor to his less-than-stellar play of late.

I don't think his actions over the past few days are going to help that situation.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2213 on: March 12, 2020, 03:25:56 PM »

And considering that the Jazz are my team, Gobert is allegedly team co-leader with Donovan, and Gobert is casting a negative public light on the NBA & the Jazz in particular... No, I'm going to continue calling him an asshole AND a dumbass. The SoB was feeling under the weather during the Raptors game, and yet he went out of his way to spread illness. Regardless of him not knowing he had Corobavirus, he still knew he had SOMETHING and spread it.

Speaking of, has the Raptors team been tested yet?

In regards to the Raptors I did see that they were going to get tested while they self quarantine.  It very well of could of been the Raptors that had it first but that really doesn't matter. What matters is that people on different organizations self quarantine and get tested.   

https://www.raptorshq.com/2020/3/12/21176597/toronto-raptors-coronavirus-self-quarantine-nba-suspended
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2214 on: March 12, 2020, 04:17:09 PM »
I think Soren retweeted something showing how every team in the league can be traced back to the Jazz in the two weeks prior to Wednesday (either playing them, or playing an opponent who might have transmitted it).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: March 12, 2020, 06:40:21 PM »
So I just thought of something amusing.

In 1994 MLB cancelled the World Series due to a strike.  The defending champions were the Toronto Blue Jays.

Here the NBA season has been suspended and we're not sure what's going to happen with the playoffs.  The defending champions?  The TORONTO Raptors.

Curse of Toronto!!?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: March 12, 2020, 06:50:03 PM »
So I just thought of something amusing.

In 1994 MLB cancelled the World Series due to a strike.  The defending champions were the Toronto Blue Jays.

Here the NBA season has been suspended and we're not sure what's going to happen with the playoffs.  The defending champions?  The TORONTO Raptors.

Curse of Toronto!!?

It seems we have only one recourse!  ;)

BMM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_CNfe0VUsA

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2217 on: March 14, 2020, 09:39:36 AM »

In regards to the Raptors I did see that they were going to get tested while they self quarantine.  It very well of could of been the Raptors that had it first but that really doesn't matter. What matters is that people on different organizations self quarantine and get tested.   

https://www.raptorshq.com/2020/3/12/21176597/toronto-raptors-coronavirus-self-quarantine-nba-suspended

Raptors tests come back almost entirely negative, but will continue to quarantine.
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: March 23, 2020, 01:28:13 PM »
Is anyone watching old re-runs of games?  It's not nearly as much fun as cheering for (and sometimes complaining about) current teams, but options are limited. Thinking about going through the playoffs from last year again - would be nice to follow Portland maybe and see their games since they are always way too late at night in my timezone.

Even though I would only watch a game or two per week, I really miss it now that they aren't happening.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2219 on: March 23, 2020, 01:39:18 PM »
Is anyone watching old re-runs of games?  It's not nearly as much fun as cheering for (and sometimes complaining about) current teams, but options are limited. Thinking about going through the playoffs from last year again - would be nice to follow Portland maybe and see their games since they are always way too late at night in my timezone.

Even though I would only watch a game or two per week, I really miss it now that they aren't happening.

I do know League pass is free until the NBA comes back.  It might be something to watch.

https://www.nba.com/nba-fan-letter-league-pass-free-preview

I haven't been watching many reruns but on SS&R are simming the final games of this season for the Lakers and also talking about past Lakers players who should be appreciated.  I kinda want to go and watch the Lakeshow team. The Lakers team in between Showtime and Shaq and Kobe era.  It kinda felt like the more recent Lakers rebuild teams with D'lo, Randle and Clarkson era before LeBron arrived in LA.  As for a Suns team perhaps the SSOL era with Nash.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: March 24, 2020, 10:16:02 PM »
And the Clippers are moving to INGLEWOOD.... eventually.

Ballmer bought the Forum for $400B
https://deadline.com/2020/03/los-angeles-clippers-owner-buys-the-forum-building-new-arena-steve-ballmer-1202891728/

Clippers will finally have a place to hang their... um, well, when they finally get a banner, they will have a place to hang it!!!!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2221 on: March 24, 2020, 11:21:05 PM »
And the Clippers are moving to INGLEWOOD.... eventually.

Ballmer bought the Forum for $400B
https://deadline.com/2020/03/los-angeles-clippers-owner-buys-the-forum-building-new-arena-steve-ballmer-1202891728/

Clippers will finally have a place to hang their... um, well, when they finally get a banner, they will have a place to hang it!!!!

Well they are still in the shadow of the Lakers.  They should of used all that money to build their own arena and not take over the Lakers old stomping grounds.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:24:15 AM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: March 24, 2020, 11:49:05 PM »
They are building a new arena, but they had to buy the Forum to settle a lawsuit that was preventing them from ever breaking ground on the New Arena..... if I remember the details correctly.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2223 on: April 01, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »
Well it has been 3 weeks since the NBA has shut down and the carriers of the first few cases of COVID-19 Rudy Gobert and Donovin Mitchell was been cleared.  Also while two Lakers have tested positive back on the 20th of March and will likely need to be tested again come the 4th or 5th everyone else on the team has been cleared. 

In other news if the NBA would start again they are looking to see if they can find a neutral city where they could have the playoffs once everyone is cleared like Las Vegas.  I mean it makes sense as the NBA already has links to Vegas with Summer League and there is lots of hotels and arenas there where players can stay play.  Here is a list of arenas which might be possible to play at in Vegas.   https://www.vegasmeansbusiness.com/meeting-facilities/sports-facilities/?skip=0&sort=qualityScore&subcatids=503 

So looking at that list there is the T-Mobile Arena, UNLV and the UNLV Thomas and Mac Center to host the playoffs. Of course in all likelihood there won't be fans there so the capacity don't make much difference but those 3 could be options.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: April 01, 2020, 10:41:19 AM »
That'd be pretty awesome. So the plan is to jump straight into the playoffs?

Good time to switch to the Top 16 for a test run.

I bet this will be the HIGHEST RATED anything, and something to brag appropriately in these crazy times.