Author Topic: Why I'm happy owning only GameCube...  (Read 7209 times)

Offline popkorn1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Why I'm happy owning only GameCube...
« on: July 15, 2003, 03:34:51 AM »
Lately I've been thinking of getting another console.  I didn't know if I wanted an xbox or ps2, but I just wanted an alternative to GC just to play more of the games out there.  And so, I got a $30 discount for getting an Amazon.com credit card, and thought I'd use that discount towards my new purchase.  So I went to the site, and decided to load an xbox into the shopping cart.  They have a thing where you get an xbox and 2 games for $199.  I thought that was cool, so I began looking for games.  Halo, boom.. in the cart.  ......and then I could not find a second game that I honestly really wanted.  Nothing stood out.  I'm not saying that xbox games suck, but.. there weren't as many titles that I thought would just be like "buy me, I'm great!!!"  I honestly couldn't find another game to add besides Halo.

So I moved on to the PS2.  Same deal with the 2 games, so immediately I dropped GTA3 Vice City in my cart.  I couldn't find another game that was just screaming to be purchased.  I even went to ign and looked at the top reviewed games (all 9.0 and above) and read all about them, trying to find one that would make me happy.. but, either it just didn't grab me, or it was already available in some form on GC.  I don't know if the other systems just aren't my style, but I'm not into sports games, not even into RPGs that much.... I don't know, I just couldn't see anything right for me.  I'm not knocking either system, there was just nothing good for me.

Just for the hell of it, I thought I'd go through the GC games to see what I would want if I were just now purchasing the system.  Metroid.  Zelda.  Mario.  Eternal Darkness.  Resident Evil 1 and 0.  Super Monkey Ball 1+2.  Animal Crossing.  The list goes on and on... after that, I seriously could not be more pleased with my Nintendo.  I was thinking about getting another system, but now I wouldn't even want one.

Another reason to back that up, Halo is on its way to the PC at the end of summer, even with much improved graphics.  GTA3 is on the PC.  ... I mean, come on, they're making it a really easy decision here.  You'll never see the Nintendo franchises anywhere else.

That is why I'm happy owning only my Nintendo GameCube.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 04:15:38 AM »
Gamecube definately has the best games IMO, but that is just my personnal preference. If you want RPGs you have to get a PS2 and if you want sports games you need anything other than the cube. I also have a XBox that I got at launch with Halo and DOA III, but I have been dissapointed by their lack of any other quality games since then. I really should get a PS2 to play RPGs, but I cant bring myself to spend that much money just to play a few games, especially since there will be new systems out all around in two years.

Gamecube has enough coming out this year and next to keep me happy for a while, and with the GBP I am really set.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline popkorn1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 05:38:12 AM »
Exactly.  I'm not dissing the other 2 systems either, it's just my personal preference as well... Teamed up with the GBP or GBASP, Nintendo is completely delivering what I expected them too.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: Why I'm happy owning only GameCube...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 05:55:03 AM »
Personally, the ONLY game that I am seriously missing on GameCube is Xenosaga.  Everything else I want can be found either on my PC or on my GCN.

Being that I am not a FPS nut, I can live without Halo easily enough, and I can't stand GTA.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 06:09:13 AM »
I can't satnd the GTA games either.  I finally played one at my friends house on his new PS2 (he now wants a GC ) and I didn't see why everyone loves it.  There is really nothing good about it.  The graphics, the control; the only good thing I could find was the radio.  And it was extremely boring

As of now, Gamecube currently has all of the games i want.  And they're all GC exclusives. (That includes future releases too)
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 07:25:31 AM »
I can't stand new FF games. (where's a new old-school style one for GBA, Square?) TS2 suits my multiplayer FPS all I need. I'm not big on single player FPS. GTA doesn't appeal to me. I like FUN, don't care about "adult" games if their gameplay is second rate. And I've loved Nintendo forever. I have no need for another, doesn't mean they suck, but there's nothing to draw me in.

Offline mojorizin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 09:13:20 AM »
This thread pretty well sums it up, doesn't it?  We don't need to fanboy, we don't need whats cool.  We just wanna play, thats it.  

Sure, I looked at the X-Box - not gonna lie.  I saw Halo.  Then I saw, well, Halo.  That's not to diss the console as I'm certain that many people that have it, love it.  But I put that one game against the slew of fantastic games present and future here in N-land and it wasn't even a decision.  Yep, its square and its purple - whataboutit?  Yep, there's chubby italian plumbers and little boys in green pajamas and Jigglypuffs - but there are also REs, Samus, FZero, VJoe and.......  Its a shame that we get a flood of haters out there - everyone that has played a game or two on my Cube absolutely love it.  That includes impressionable nephews with PS2s - they get all teary-eyed when mama comes, picks em up and tears em away from the Cube at Uncle Mojo's Dojo, don't you understand.

If we could just ship 50 million 'Cubes, Animal Crossing and some pictures of Pam Anderson to the Middle East we'd all be singing Kumbaya.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 10:05:37 AM »
This thread is fan boy heaven.
Good grief
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 10:48:05 AM »
I would say I'm content with owning only Gamecube.  I don't really feel the need to buy any other consoles but there are some serious genre gaps in the Cube's library.  There aren't very many fighting games, racing games, or RPGs in the lineup for instance.  Now there are some but I would at least like the option to play a different RPG than Skies or Arcadia or a different fighter than Soul Calibur 2.  Still of the three consoles Gamecube does fit my tastes best, I just would like a little more variety.  Even though I'm a huge Nintendo fan I can totally see why the Cube is insufficient for many people's gaming needs and why the PS2 is so popular.

One thing I really wish is that the Gamecube was more popular with rental stores.  It's nearly impossible to find places with decent Gamecube rentals and there are a fair bit of titles I'd like to try out but have no intention of buying them.

The Gamecube is sufficient for my gaming needs but in no means perfect.  Are all of you truly happy with the Gamecube or is it just "good enough"?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 10:48:55 AM »
Heh.  I was wondering when our Resident Troll was going to show up and complain about the people who don't think that the PS2 or Xbox lineup is as good as the GameCube's.  

Ian, the only genre that I feel the GameCube is seriously lacking in is RPGs.  Even then though, we got Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia, which aren't to be scoffed at.  I would seriously take either of those over Final Fantasy X or Final Fantasy XI.  XII might be a different story, but we shall see.

Overall, I think that the GameCube is the best thing since the SNES.  I don't feel that it's good enough.  I feel that it's all I could want and more.

Offline CO_Hawke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 10:58:36 AM »
Hey popkorn1, I heard Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic was great, it got very high scores in every gaming mag.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 10:59:30 AM »
Yep.  I might be playing that one on my PC.  

Offline penfold

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2003, 11:11:48 AM »
The best way to avoid temptation to get a XBOX and a PS2 is this: think of what youd get with that $200 you were thinking of spending to get another system. I can think of at least 5 games youd be better off purchasing for the Cube, than a system with possibly no free game included.

Offline Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 11:30:56 AM »
I'm very happy with both my Gamecube games and my PS2 games. if I had to pick one system over the over I'd pick ps2. but I like both a lot.  

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 11:36:42 AM »
Has anyone ever played devil may cry or maximus on ps2? Those are the only ps2 games that looked that interesting to me. Just wondering if they are any good. I'd like to have every console cause I believe there are a some good games on each (except maybe x-box), but I went with gamecube and it hasn't exactly met my expectations. I think it's starting to make a comeback though....

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 11:46:43 AM »
Ian Sane have you ever played capcom vs. snk 2? I just got that game and I'm loving it. And the surprising thing is I don't have any problem with the gc controller I can do all moves (I use the analog, not d pad) except a few supers but they are messed up anyway. All those people saying the gc conroller doesn't work for this game are really f'd up in my opinion. You just got to switch it to ac ism but trust me this game is sweat, just takes some practice.  

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2003, 12:11:37 PM »
In a way I'm glad my brother owns a PS2. That keeps the options open for me, but I still prefer my Gamecube. I'm not really interested in GTA and I have never played it even though he has owned GTA 3 for a long time. But I would like to try Devil May Cry sometime.
What is character but determination of incident? What is incident by the illustration of character?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2003, 02:34:27 PM »
"Ian Sane have you ever played capcom vs. snk 2?"

Yeah I have but I'm one of those really f'd up people who don't like the controls.  Normally I find that the Gamecube controller is perfect for almost any game but it just plain sucks for that one.  I don't find it to be a universal fighting game problem though since I think it's quite good for SC2.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 02:45:17 PM »
This thread has a great point- I just hope it won't attract people bashing the PS2 and XBox.

Overall I pretty much agree with Ian- my Gamecube more than suits all my needs but it DOES have some genre gapes, namely RPG's and fighters, as he pointed out. I own a PS2 to fill in those gaps and I love it very much.

And from what I've heard, most people agree Capcom's "EO" control for Capcom vs SNK 2 was horrible.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2003, 04:37:48 PM »
I'm happy with my GameCube. Very happy. But there's no way I could ever survive on the GC by itself. I crave RPGs, the GameCube just doesn't deliver, in my opinion anyway. By RPG, I mean the turn based Japanese variety.

Sure, there's Skies, which I hope to find a copy one day, Lost Kingdoms/II and there's Evolution... But that's about it.

The GameCube suits my platform game craving, the party game craving, and well... misc. craving
Despite what some may claim, there are a bucket load of great games on both PlayStation 2 and Xbox. And sadly, much like the GameCube, alot of them lay in the 3rd party department, and end up getting ignored..

Offline Link

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2003, 05:45:06 PM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
This thread is fan boy heaven.
Good grief

Jesus Christ do you ever stop? You come to this site called PlanetGamecube, see a thread about how everyone likes their Cube, and you call it fanboyism? Let it go for gods sake...

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2003, 07:50:55 PM »
You won't get a response, Link. That's his token post. He knows it'll get some members pissed, and off he goes. LIKE NINJA! *WHOOSH*

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2003, 08:51:22 PM »
Cubed'll give you a run for your money in a debate, but you have to push him for it.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline popkorn1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2003, 03:53:06 AM »
I figured there'd be somebody just saying I started this thread to praise Nintendo and bash the others, but if you just forget for a moment that in the end I'm sticking with Nintendo... the whole thing that brought up the thread was I was interested in purchasing one of the other two systems.  If I was bashing PS2 and XBOX, I wouldn't have tried to purchase both of them.  And believe me, I would have if I could find more games I wanted, I'd love having another console.  Bottom line is I just don't think it's right for me.  They're stronger for RPGs and sports, but like I said before, the only RPG type game I need is Zelda.  Sports?  Not into them, give me 1 Tony Hawk game, throw in 1 or 2 racing games and I'm pleased.

The point of the thread in the first place was just because it helped me realize the quality Nintendo has given us.  To be honest, I was pretty disappointed in this summer's lineup ... for the biggest titles to be 2 racing games (mario kart and fzero), and vjoe... I think it's just a let down after last year's anticipation.  Last year I had like 6 HUGE titles that I was waiting for over a period of like 10 months.  Now, I have a list again ("mkart, fzero, re4, tmnt, etc"), but it pales in comparison to my "Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Eternal Darkness, etc" list of the past.

That's the reason I looked for a new system in the first place.  I wanted more games to be excited about, because currently, I'm not THAT excited (save for tmnt and re4, I'm dying for those games.. and of course the next batch of grade A franchises.. desperately waiting for Metroid Prime 2 - MP is my fav. game of all time).   But as I said in my first post, the other systems' lineups compared to what Nintendo has given us... it was just extremely refreshing to see the giant list of games that Nintendo has to offer that I HAD to pick up.   You can say that's a fanboy comment all you want - but a Nintendo fanboy wouldn't have tried to buy both of the other consoles.  But doing so definitely made me appreciate my GC, and respect what Nintendo has done for us gamers out there.

Again, let me reiterate.. I'm not saying PS2 and XBOX suck.  I'm not saying there are no good games.  I'm just saying there aren't enough games that scream "BUY ME" that warrent a system purchase, mainly because I'm not into their strong genres (and GC's weak ones)

For me, it all comes down to the old school "Nintendo Seal of Quality" that I know still means something to them when they slap it on a game box.  I'm sure other GC owners out there might have been starting to doubt their system since Nintendo made it nearly impossible to follow up last year's lineup with such a big bang.. and this thread is just here to help them appreciate it a bit more.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2003, 05:10:10 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Cubed'll give you a run for your money in a debate, but you have to push him for it.

Well, you might be right, but my personal dealings with him have just involved him saying basically:

"OMG FANBOY!!!!  WTF??!!!!"

Basically, I can live without that crap, and wish he would troll elsewhere.  I try to ignore him most of the time, as I feel dirty in just talking to him, but every now and then he posts something that I can't just keep my mouth shut about.  This was one such thread.

Popkorn, nobody here except CubedCanuck thinks that you are being unreasonable.  CubedCanuck is an anomaly on this board, as he can't stand to see Nintendo get praised for anything, as he is quite positive that we are all too biased to see past our own noses.  Don't take him personally, he just seems to think that all consoles should be liked equally, even on a Nintendo fansite's message board.