Author Topic: Newer Super Mario Bros Wii Thoughts?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Damaba

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Newer Super Mario Bros Wii Thoughts?
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:20:27 AM »
 The fan made game Newer Super Mario Bros Wii released this weekend after 3 years of development. Without moding or even hacking your Wii you can download and start playing the game in a bout 20min.  Here are the instructions I followed from the development teams web site. http://newerteam.com/download.php

So what are your guys thoughts on this? I know this isn't any thing new for fans to make Mario levels but theres something special about this, new music, well crafted levels, new maps not to mention the parallels between this and New Super Luigi U.
Basking in the glory of nintendo. Friend code 3DS 4742-6653-4533 =Damaba=

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Newer Super Mario Bros Wii Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »
I kind of regret trading in my copy of NSMB Wii. Not because I ever wanted to play it again, but because I would really like to give this a shot. It sounds interesting.
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »
Nerds! I don't have New Super Mario Bros. Wii anymore. I've been meaning to pick it up again, but not for $50. I definitely want to try this though.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
This is interesting, but I'm less interested than I might have been since i still haven't finished the 3DS or Wii U versions of the game, and with New Super Luigi coming soon it's going to be a while before I'll be at a loss for 2D Mario levels.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »
I think it's pretty crazy how they managed to put the Hammer Brother suit in the game.

Unfortunately, I think they kind of missed the boat on this one. Two new NSMB games have recently been released, and another is on the way very soon. I realise making this type of thing takes time, but, if this had been released two years ago (or heck, probably even one year ago), it would have been a lot more popular.

Also, I can't believe that you guys sold a Mario game! What kind of Nintendo fans are you?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »
Also, I can't believe that you guys sold a Mario game! What kind of Nintendo fans are you?

The kind that realise if you you've played one NSMB game you've played them all.
Gouge away.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »
I fucking love it. They really destroyed even Nintendo's own developers in terms of creativity.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:14:51 AM »
I checked it out yesterday. My impression:

Based from impressions online i thought i'd see more than just a fan-made level pack. Stupid me.

I played up up to level 6 in the first world, i think. Bridge level was the first one i encountered a genuinely new idea in. It had alternating paths for flying platforms. You need to set a specific combination of switches to get platform in position for you get second star which is inaccessible by any other way. I think, the way first star is positioned, collecting all stars on that bridge will require several playthroughs.

Though there were some intriguing Super Mario World-type switches in earlier levels, so maybe there will be some delayed payoff... And overall a lot of SMW inspired stuff, like Yoshi's house and entire intro...

I appreciate fans managing to finish anything and actually releasing stuff in working state but i wish i liked this more. Will return to it later today, to check if i missed some awesomeness.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks