Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country Wii  (Read 77676 times)

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey Kong Country Wii
« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2010, 06:13:31 PM »
Thanks guys.

I don't know if we talked about this, but would anyone have any theories on why so few Rare creations were used in this game?

It's probably a call made by Retro rather than by Nintendo.  Judging by the Prime games, it seems like Retro's confident enough in itself to expand an existing franchise rather than simply adopt wholesale.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Kremlings et al's disappearances came about because Retro figured they weren't necessary, and that they could do well by going a different direction.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2010, 12:11:27 AM »
This game tries my patience so much sometimes. Classic Controller support isn't going to change the fact that this game is groin grabbingly difficult. I don't think I've beaten a single level without dying. The Caves collectively raped some 70 lives I had amassed while playing through the game getting the Kong letters and puzzle pieces. Still, there's nothing more satisfying than completing a stage with everything and never using the Super Guide.

I love Donkey Kong Country Returns. It's probably my favorite Wii game this year. I'll be going back to Super Mario Galaxy 2 after this and it feels like a downgrade: still awesome, just not as awesome. I think Retro has just spoiled me. They've yet to make a game I've hated. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is their worst game and even that's still pretty good.

dude finally someone i can agree with, i love the game but it tested my patience to the limit specially those barrel blast levels, i hate them, its not only the difficulty its that one hit bulls*it and you have to start over or from the frikin check point, i think the game its great but they over did it in terms of difficulty, specially with all the wii motion gimmicks.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2010, 06:03:04 PM »
Seriously. **** you, 5-K Blast & Bounce.

EDIT: I ended up beating the level right after I posted this... then died a bunch more times before beating it again with the puzzle pieces. I never thought I'd ever die 74 times on a single level in a video game but here we are....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:12:18 PM by Adrock »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2010, 07:36:22 PM »
Someone should change the name of this thread to DKCR venting thread.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2010, 02:26:10 AM »
The DK bongos were great for venting.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »
Seriously. **** you, 5-K Blast & Bounce.

EDIT: I ended up beating the level right after I posted this... then died a bunch more times before beating it again with the puzzle pieces. I never thought I'd ever die 74 times on a single level in a video game but here we are....

yes indeed, i hope if they release some sequels to tone it down a bit, like they did from prime 2 to 3.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 17, 2010, 06:24:52 PM »
lol netflix just sent me an email telling me to check out this game..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #257 on: December 17, 2010, 07:08:35 PM »
Why would Netflix do it? They don't sell or rent video games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
My guess is that they would get money from cross-promotional advertising, or that it's part of their existing deal with Nintendo.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 22, 2010, 02:55:13 PM »
i finished beating all the extra levels including the temple ones, which are a nice addition.

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2010, 08:49:44 PM »
i cant take super guide pig basically calling me out, he needs to be in the next smash brothers and he needs to be beat down

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 24, 2010, 03:54:04 AM »
^ I know! I feel like the pig is taunting me because I keep dying/failing and he's totally worse than the Duck Hunt dog because the pig is trying to be polite and helpful except he's neither. He just comes off as condescending. That smug bastard....

Anyway, I finally beat this game with all Kong letters and puzzle pieces. I tried the Golden Temple... which honestly, just seems like a drug trip died a bunch of times then decided, "Aaaaaaaaaand, we're done here." I'll try it again tomorrow. I doubt I'll bother Gold Medal speed runs. I don't think you get anything for it. Considering how difficult the game already is just playing through it regularly, I don't know why anyone would want to do that to their soul.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 24, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
i did not bother either with the speed runs, i found them to extreme and no joy at all.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2010, 09:54:31 PM »
I just got this game for christmas and I am loving every minute of it. I'm playing through it with my brother and when my brother isn't around I play time trials. My brother and I just got to the cave level and I'm pumped for some kart action. So far we have all the kong letters and puzzle pieces in all the levels we've beat and I managed to gold medal the time trials for all the levels in the first world. Some speed runs are harder than others, you really need to use the roll jump technique to full effect. I enjoy them because it really shows how much care was put into the level design, enemies and obstacles are placed exactly far enough apart to keep roll jump chains going brilliant stuff. After retrying the same time trial for about an hour finally getting it is extremely satisfying. Really love this game.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2010, 12:17:28 AM »
I tried a few time trials, got a gold on the first stage, but I want that shiny gold! I feel like I want to complete everything to get all the art work, but it just seems way way way way too difficult to be as enjoyable as the first run through. Anywhere online we can view the art work?

Speaking of the unlockable art, I love the concepts that didn't make it into the game. Hopefully we'll get an eel fight in Returns 2 or some under water stages.

Nintendo seriously needs to release some of that art as posters for us club Nintendo guys. Oh how I want that picture where Dk is crossing the land bridge over the beach.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
OMG, I really want to LOVE this game, but I can't. The almost non-responsive waggle forced into this game just keeps ruining it for me.
I have yet to play it with a 2nd player, but I really don't feel compelled to do so.

I just got to World 3 and I'm just not into it. I'm gonna give multi a shot in a little bit, but that's not gonna fix the waggle that is taking me out of th game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2011, 09:09:14 PM »
OMG, I really want to LOVE this game, but I can't. The almost non-responsive waggle forced into this game just keeps ruining it for me.
I have yet to play it with a 2nd player, but I really don't feel compelled to do so.

I just got to World 3 and I'm just not into it. I'm gonna give multi a shot in a little bit, but that's not gonna fix the waggle that is taking me out of th game.

That is the one thing keeping me from getting it, the motion controls sound like they really detract. Usually I don't care, but when a game requires precision controls and is difficult, it starts to matter quite a bit.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »
I sware I do not play the same game as you guys. Now when it comes to goldeneye swinging the nunchuk to pistol whip then I get angry. I did have a few issues with the shake roll, but it was almost never an issue.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »

Which setup are you using?

For the nunchuck setup, just flick the wiimoted downwards (not sideways).  It works well for me.

Also I find the multi less fun, simply because your partner is usually dragging you forward when you want hunt out secrets.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 05, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »
I'd just like to pop in to remind BnM and GoldenPhoenix that it's not hard to set up the Homebrew Channel and that the game plays oh so much better with roll mapped to a button on the Classic Controller.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 05, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
I'd just like to pop in to remind BnM and GoldenPhoenix that it's not hard to set up the Homebrew Channel and that the game plays oh so much better with roll mapped to a button on the Classic Controller.

you can remap buttons in games thru the HBC?
I did not know that and might actually be incentive to figure out how to install it.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2011, 10:42:31 PM »
I'd just like to pop in to say if you can't beat Donkey Kong Country Returns without remapping you are not a man.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2011, 11:01:23 PM »
If I don't remap, I might lose all motivation to even play.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »

you can remap buttons in games thru the HBC?
I did not know that and might actually be incentive to figure out how to install it.

There's a patch you can apply through the homebrew program Gecko OS that will let you play this game with a Classic Controller. It's not a standard feature, but the control issues with the game prompted people to find a way to hack the game to do it. I've heard there may be a similar solution for Metroid: Other M, but I haven't looked into that myself.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2011, 04:45:01 PM »
I may try homebrew, just hope it isn't too complicated to put on the system. Any good how to instructions for it?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144