Author Topic: How come you guys don't like Sports games on this board???  (Read 15048 times)

Offline Bonethugs

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
How come you guys don't like Sports games on this board???
« on: March 18, 2003, 10:26:59 AM »
OK I've on this board for awhile, and have been noticing that alot of you don't care for sports games. I mean how old is everybody here. I remember the EA not making Sports games anymore for the Cube post, and alot of people said they don't play sports games. Then on the How much $ have you spent on you GC post, I didn't see any body with not even 1 sports games. I mean it makes me wonder why sometimes Nintendo gets a bad rap. I'm Nintendo for life, and look forward to alot of sports games to release. The games I have outside of sports are:

Top Gun: Combat Zone
Both Resident Evils, sorry folks these are the best games I've ever played
Mortal Kombat
Need for Speed
Both 007's

I guess we all have different tastes, but NO sports games...Come on, unreal!!!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 10:36:24 AM »
Traditionally Nintendo consoles have been rather weak in the sports department so a lot of longtime Nintendo fans likely haven't played many sports games and therefore don't really have any desire to buy them.  Plus sports games tend to focus a lot of replicating something real which is pretty much the exact opposite of Nintendo's first party efforts which usually are the furthest thing from reality.  The two general game designs are quite different so someone who is "trained" to like one type may not like the other.

Personally I don't really even like real sports so I don't really care for sports games either.  I do find some arcade sports games like Midway's stuff fun enough for a rental with friends.  I just don't feel they're worth owning.

I do like Tony Hawk games.  Do those count as sports games?

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 11:02:31 AM »
  I have Madden2003, Knockout kings, NBA live 2003, Tiger Woods and Nhl 2k3.  I've always enjoyed EA sports and I am one of the dopes who buys the Madden 'upgrades' every august/sept.  But I also have about 8 non-sports titles, so my game collection is well rounded.  In my opinion, theres nothing better than playing Madden with a bunch of your friends in franchise mode.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 11:54:24 AM »
Why don't we like sports games? It's probably because we don't like sports in general, and hence don't like videogames about these sports.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 12:37:23 PM »
Precisely.  I don't like watching sports on TV, let alone playing videogames that emulate the feel of televised sports.  Now I can play Beach Spikers and Mario Tennis till the cows come home, but that's about as close as I get.  

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 12:56:35 PM »
I love sports games. In fact I prefer them over any other genre, FPS being second.
I own
NHL 2003
Madden 2003
Tiger Woods 2003
Fifa 2003
SSX tricky
Metroid prime
Eternal darkness
luigis mansion
Super mario sunshine
time splitters
RE
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Chris1228

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 01:12:01 PM »
I love sports games. I play Madden 2003, NCAA 2003, All Star Baseball 2004 and Beach Spikers!

Offline Squall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 01:17:28 PM »
I like soccer a lot, and can appreciate a game that replicates the sport well (which is why I wish Winning Eleven 6 would come to NA).  But other sports (and by other sports I mean hockey), I can appreciate the sport but I also just like rooting for my team.  It's an exciting sport to watch and it's fun seeing your team play at home and come from behind to win (or something like that).  I doubt I'd get that from a sports game.

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2003, 01:20:54 PM »
I got myself Tiger Woods 2003, Madden 2002, and Beach Spikers. Of them, Tiger is the most played. I think I might like Madden except that I completely suck at it. I've always sucked at football/basketball/baseball games. I guess the idea of having that many players under my control is just to much for my feeble mind.

Offline mojorizin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2003, 01:59:40 PM »
I love sports, and some of the best times I've had with my pals was playing Double Dribble and Tecmo Bowl on NES, Madden and NHLs on Genesis, etc.

I'm just not into them as much anymore.  Once I hit my thirties, I didn't hang out with the fellas anymore and that was what was great about those games.  Without a bunch of blokes to play Madden with, it is truly just a rehash of the last version with updated rosters.  Plus, the last football game I REALLY enjoyed was Gameday '97 on PS the year before everybody got all POLYGONAL on me.  The control and gameplay hasn't been the same, and the fun factor just isn't there anymore for me

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2003, 02:20:16 PM »

Why don't we like sports games? It's probably because we don't like sports in general, and hence don't like videogames about these sports.

I love sports games. Probably the reason a lot of people don't like sports games is because either they dont play sports, or they just play video games all day and play on the internet or whatever. They can't handle the real life manly games so they stick to the fake stuff.
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2003, 02:21:55 PM »
I like sports games. I own a ton of GC games. As far as sports games go I own Knockout Kings 2003 and Madden 2003. I had Madden 2002 but I traded it in when I got Madden 2003.....BTW am I the only one that hates the sound track on Madden 2003...its horrible. I was planning on getting NBA 2K3 then Sega canned their sports lineup so I sorta soured on supporting a lame duck sports lineup. I would have bought Live but its waaaay to unrealistic. Your star player is way too dominating....gives you almost no reason to pass the ball. Sigh I'm gonna miss the NBA 2K series...hopefully the next live is more realistic.......or I may have to buy 2K4 on PS2.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2003, 02:57:52 PM »
i dont mind playing sports in person. I dont liek to watch them on tv however. I never liked sports games. Pretty much if youv been with nintendo a long time your real interest are adventure(platformers,shooters,etc) and rpg games(however lacking rpgs were on n64).
I was a big sega fan back in the day so fighting are also some of my favorite games. I dont mind a good racer every once in a while. I never really liked sports games...but these new sets of wacky sports games that have been coming out have sparked my interest. Also, i never liked the control of games like madden. I loved nba hangtime for jaguar though, and a monster football on genisis, blitz is cool i guess. hmmm arcade style games i guess. You know EA never got into the arcade business...maybe their missing some genetic gaming heritage i just need to play a game and stay interested.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2003, 03:00:09 PM »
I generally don't like sports games, except perhaps for some arcade-style games or extreme sports like Tony Hawk.  Generally sports games to me are just incredibly repetetive, and all of the games for one sport are basically the same anyway.  I feel like I'm playing an elaborate mini-game.  I want adventure.  Also, I think they tend to take up a ton of memory space for some reason.

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2003, 03:07:53 PM »
I love sports games.  I love Nintendo games.  Thats why this was the perfect system for me, but now there wont be the great Sega games.  I think we are a rare breed, the gamer that loves a great game of Football/Hockey/Baseball/Basketball/etc and at the same time will be playing Animal Crossing when not working on our season or franchise.  I really dont know how anyone cannot like sports, I just dont understand it.  Of course, I'm sure many cant understand how someone COULD like them.  I really dont know what the point of this post is, just to say that there are some rabid sports and Nintendo fans out there.

Offline Uglyness

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2003, 03:18:42 PM »
No.
I got polygons. . .

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2003, 03:27:22 PM »
I watch basketball and football and those are the two games I have. (Madden 2003 and NBA 2K3).  Granted I got em when they were cheap.  I can't justify spending $50 on a game that will be replaced in less than a year with a newer version.  

Furthermore, to simply put it.   I got the Gamecube more or less for the platform games and the party games.  Sports games?  Whats the compelling reason to get one over say the X-Box or the computer which has internet play?  NIntendo is making a smart move in having EA work its sports titles w/ the GBA... if gives one advantage for the GC version albiet small still.

Offline DiggleD44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2003, 03:30:34 PM »
I somewhat like sports games. I own Madden 2002, Hitz 2002, and beach spikers. Also Tony hawk 3 and 4 if u consider them as sports games. (i do)

-------------------------------
SYSTEM OF A DOWN!!!
MetallicA rules all.

Offline Reverse_Gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2003, 03:35:47 PM »
I love sports. I dislike sport game usually. They're simply ok, and I dont like to have ok games. I bought madden 2002 and courside, but sold them both, they were fun but not that much fun.

I hardly ever see 3rd party sports games that are worth buying. All the nintendo sports games, like 1080 and waverace, and the mario sports games were really good, but thats about it.

When I say sports games I mean sports like basketball football or baseball. I dont mean racing or snowboarding. I like most racing or snowboarding games.
------------------------------------------
GCN games I own: Metroid Prime, Sonic Adventure 2, Timesplitters 2, Waverace, Luigis Mansion, Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Rogue Leader, Starfox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil, Res

Offline Duriez

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2003, 03:49:37 PM »
I'd rather shoot aliens, look for secret areas, fight Ridley, and turn into a ball than watch a football fly through the air and then watch a guy catch it and run past a bunch of lines to score some points.  Meh, but that's just me....

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2003, 05:05:45 PM »
I don't think I would own a console if it weren't for sports games. I can't imagine my life without NCAA Football 2003. I think I've played that game twice as much as any other GCN game I own with the exception of SSBM.

I love Zelda and games like that, but sometimes figuring out some of those puzzles frustrates me after being at school all day so I give it a rest and pop in Madden or NCAA Football.  

Offline zekermit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2003, 05:11:28 PM »
After reading the EA post I wondered the same thing. Personally I like sports game and was worried that Madden 2004 and NCAA Football 2004 woudn't come out this year. I own the 2003 versions and until then I had Madden 2002. I also had Tony Hawk 3 and now have Tony Hawk 4. Outside of video games I love to play sports. Most of those that don't like the games don't understand the real game.  Personally I don't understand why people like platformers, I guess everyone is different.  
My Games:
Eternal Darkness,Madden 2003, NCAA 2003, Metriod Prime,
Zelda: OoT, Time Splitters 2, Tony Hawk 4, and Zelda: Wind Waker is on the way!!!!!!!!

Offline penfold

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2003, 06:17:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Darc Requiem
I like sports games. I own a ton of GC games. As far as sports games go I own Knockout Kings 2003 and Madden 2003. I had Madden 2002 but I traded it in when I got Madden 2003.....BTW am I the only one that hates the sound track on Madden 2003...its horrible. I was planning on getting NBA 2K3 then Sega canned their sports lineup so I sorta soured on supporting a lame duck sports lineup. I would have bought Live but its waaaay to unrealistic. Your star player is way too dominating....gives you almost no reason to pass the ball. Sigh I'm gonna miss the NBA 2K series...hopefully the next live is more realistic.......or I may have to buy 2K4 on PS2.

Darc Requiem

You are not the only one that hates the soundtrack. Its really the only flaw, IMHO, of Madden 2003. Madden is supposed to be about football, not showcasing music more appropriate for MTV 2 or MuchMusic. It makes it seem more like infotainment, than an actual simulation of a football game.

You may be thankful you didnt get NBA2K3 for the GameCube. I have read complaints in GamePro about NBA2k3 being so bug filled that the game freezes, making the player reboot the system. The response from Sega was something like this:

"Gee...youre the only ones that have complained to us about this bug. Enjoy the game". It wasnt just one person who complained, but it was several.  

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2003, 06:35:23 PM »
That was what i noticed too.  lot of people don't like sports games and alot of people hate it.(don't know why)  I think it depends on if you like sports in real life.

I like bastketball and basketball games.  I own NBA inside drive 03 and NBA live 03.
I also like zelda and fps games if that means anything to you.
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2003, 07:09:28 PM »
I don't like sports.  I don't play them in real life, I don't watch them on TV, and I don't play video games of them either.  I really don't know any better way of explaining myself.  The games just bore me.  I will occasionally play them at a friend's house, but they aren't something I would play by my own means.  I don't rent them, I don't buy them, and I don't play them in arcades.

Why play sports when there are better games I guess is what I am saying.

I must say that I do like some extreme sports games though, such as SSX, Mario Golf, Mario Party or the like.  They don't feel much like the sports you would encounter in real life that much.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean