Author Topic: F-Zero AC/GC Discussion  (Read 8188 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
F-Zero AC/GC Discussion
« on: February 07, 2003, 07:50:43 PM »
I guess I'll start the F-Zero thread for the new board...I just wanted to say that I haven't seen much of the game in action (side from the videos taken from a camcorder on several sites), but the screenshots of this game look absolutely amazing! Hopefully it'll play as nicely as the previous games of the series and help boost some sales for everyone's favorite purple box.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Bishman

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
F-Zero AC/GC Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 08:04:06 PM »
Yes, can't wait to play F-Zero.

Offline G3cyco

• View Profile
F-Zero AC/GC Discussion
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 08:16:21 PM »
yeah, I dusted the N64 and started playing F-zero again. I love the 80s metal music and the solos. Will the new on ehave it? or techno? (yeesh)
http://www.touchdownlakers.com
"When I die, tell the media I always had a smile on my face"

Offline Rogue

• View Profile
F-Zero AC/GC Discussion
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 10:43:11 PM »
I thought the techno soundtrack in the preview videos was really awesome.

Offline Stealthy Warrior

• Sport Editor's Alter Ego
    • View Profile
F-Zero AC/GC Discussion
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 11:42:26 PM »
I was hoping for a more country feel this go around.  
HAR!  I KNEW I SIGNED UP IN 2003!!!

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
F-Zero AC/GC Discussion
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 12:39:23 AM »
lol, yeah, but then you really should be racing on trucks rather than 2000mph on rocketcars
LZ 2005

Offline arsonwinter

• View Profile
F-Zero AC/GC Discussion
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 11:43:20 AM »
This game should be online.

By the way, any word on GBA/GCN connections? After seeing Metroid Prime's features, I think it wouldn't be hard to download a program that checks the name/save data of FZ:MV.  
Now Playing: Animal Crossing (since September), Metroid Prime (since December), Pinball of the Dead and Game and Watch Gallery 4 (since Christmas)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: F-Zero AC/GC Discussion
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
lol, yeah, but then you really should be racing on trucks

*writes notes*

-RFA
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 11:44:09 PM »
Holy! Considering what hammorrhoid said here and what Stogi said about the direction Zelda should take, it's pretty clear that Nintendo has an inside man here and they're stealing our ideas! But which user is the forum traitor?

Of course! Billy Berghammer himself!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 12:04:38 AM »
I'm honestly surprised about how little posts this topic has considering how much content the game has and how it is the best F-Zero game there is.   I think we can fault this forum for not having another F-Zero game since.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 12:13:20 AM »
In February 2003 these people were too busy complaining about "Celda"

-RFA
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 12:18:08 AM »
Good point I think celda was bad why would you make a zelda just for kids reggie because you don't have any kids so I think it was dumb

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 03:20:27 AM »
I like how hammorrhoid totally called ExciteTrucks 3 years early

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
I'm honestly surprised about how little posts this topic has considering how much content the game has and how it is the best F-Zero game there is.   I think we can fault this forum for not having another F-Zero game since.

I can never get enough of this game. I dusted off the Cube a few months ago (literally dusted. It was dusty. I dusted it) and was surprised by how fun it still is and how amazing it still looks. This game creates a feeling of speed unlike any other racing game I've played. To the point of it making me a little sick at times.

I'd put it right below Double Dash and just above Burnout 2 for my favorite racers I played on the GCN.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 10:01:37 PM »
F-Zero GX is basically the F-Zero franchise to me. I can't get into the 2D versions and the 64 is alright for the time but compared to the leap GX makes in, well, everything, I'd just rather play GX then the 64 version. The game should be in everyone's GC library. It's as much an essential as Melee as far as I'm concerned. A perfect blending of Nintendo and Sega. Yet to ever be repeated.

Recently, Sega’s Toshihiro Nagoshi did an interview in Edge Magazine and some sites quoted a few highlights from it. He talked about his time in developing F-Zero GX and had this to say:

After it released, I got a call from Nintendo. They said they wanted to see all the source code for the game, and wanted me to explain how we’d made that game, in that timeframe and with that budget, in detail. They were wondering how we’d done it – they couldn’t figure it out. We were able to achieve something a lot higher than what Nintendo had expected.

Maybe they didn't show them the source code and that's why we haven't seen a sequel yet. There's a couple things to take from that. Nintendo obviously considered F-Zero a lesser franchise back then based on the low budget and short timeframe they expected Sega/AV to make the game in and the fact that it turned out a lot better then Nintendo was even expecting the result to be. There's a reason why so many fans of the game would just be happy with an HD version of it and maybe online added if possible. I wish Nintendo had made some kind of arrangement with Sega for them to keep working on more F-Zero titles going forward but instead we got Mario and Sonic or some exclusive Sonic titles and AV has since disbanded. With the Super Monkey Ball GC games and F-Zero, I feel like Sega did some of their best work ever while working on the GC. That glorious cube.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 03:35:56 AM »
F-Zero GX is basically the F-Zero franchise to me. I can't get into the 2D versions and the 64 is alright for the time but compared to the leap GX makes in, well, everything, I'd just rather play GX then the 64 version. The game should be in everyone's GC library. It's as much an essential as Melee as far as I'm concerned. A perfect blending of Nintendo and Sega. Yet to ever be repeated.

Recently, Sega’s Toshihiro Nagoshi did an interview in Edge Magazine and some sites quoted a few highlights from it. He talked about his time in developing F-Zero GX and had this to say:

After it released, I got a call from Nintendo. They said they wanted to see all the source code for the game, and wanted me to explain how we’d made that game, in that timeframe and with that budget, in detail. They were wondering how we’d done it – they couldn’t figure it out. We were able to achieve something a lot higher than what Nintendo had expected.

Maybe they didn't show them the source code and that's why we haven't seen a sequel yet. There's a couple things to take from that. Nintendo obviously considered F-Zero a lesser franchise back then based on the low budget and short timeframe they expected Sega/AV to make the game in and the fact that it turned out a lot better then Nintendo was even expecting the result to be. There's a reason why so many fans of the game would just be happy with an HD version of it and maybe online added if possible. I wish Nintendo had made some kind of arrangement with Sega for them to keep working on more F-Zero titles going forward but instead we got Mario and Sonic or some exclusive Sonic titles and AV has since disbanded. With the Super Monkey Ball GC games and F-Zero, I feel like Sega did some of their best work ever while working on the GC. That glorious cube.

I totally remember that feeling back in the Cube days that Sega partnering with Nintendo was such a beneficial deal and such a positive thing. It was two former rivals teaming up to bring us some great games.

Looking back it really is sad that the relationship never again felt as special. I guess I didn't notice with the Wii because there was so much love from other developers early on in it's lifespan.

But I feel it now.

I want an F Zero that rivals GX. I think we all deserve it.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 04:15:42 AM »
Holy! Considering what hammorrhoid said here and what Stogi said about the direction Zelda should take, it's pretty clear that Nintendo has an inside man here and they're stealing our ideas! But which user is the forum traitor?

Wait when/where did I do that?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
Hey I made this! What am I doing with my life?

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »

What I take from this is that, sadly, Nintendo was content to release a half-baked F-Zero but Sega surprised them and hit a home run.  This was all part of the Triforce deal with Sega and Namco and Namco's Star Fox Assault didn't turn out so good.  Based on these comments about budget and timeframe I'm guessing that that wasn't an unexpected result and Nintendo's priority was to simply get some quick 'n' dirty content out for the these franchises.

It's ironic that Star Fox has continued on with constant misfires while F-Zero has not.  You figure the series that got the lousy game out of the deal would be the one to get mothballed.  But maybe the problem is that F-Zero's standards have remained too high and Nintendo isn't interested enough in the series to put in the effort required to meet fan expectations.  This was the chance to transition F-Zero into a mid-tier budget series but Sega buggered that up by raising the bar even higher!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »

Wait when/where did I do that?

Got to keep up with Khushrenada Week. It moved fast in those first few days with all manner of threads being created in the Funhouse. One such thread created was this topic on old Talkback threads you'd like to bump. Since bumping old Talkback threads is somehow going to ruin the forums, I created a thread for people to post the link to a Talkback thread and then make the comment they'd like to add about it in that new thread. Makes sense? Who cares.

Anyways, if you click on that link and then scroll down, I linked to an article in 2011 about "If I Were in Charge of Zelda" written before Skyward Sword came out and what some staff would do to shake up the formula. You made a comment in the Talkback thread which I highlight in my linked thread and a lot of your wishes came true in BotW.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »
Hey I made this! What am I doing with my life?

I have to say, I didn't realize you had been on these boards for so long. You've got some seniority here!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
I've been here since it was Planet GameCube :/

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 09:06:52 PM »
Same but for some reason I felt you came around the time of the Wii launch. Not sure why.

By the way, you know that your signature is broken? It's been that way since at least 2017 when I switched around your account profile in the first Khushrenada Week. At first, I thought I had just copied it wrong but then I saw that whatever link you were trying to make had been borked somehow and was missing some needed text. Not sure if you still care or even know about it but I've still kept the info in your profile through these last few swaps. I've meant to bring it up or notify you about that for awhile and since we are currently engaged in posting with each other, it seemed like a perfect time to finally mention that.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
Lol I didn't notice... wondering if it's worth going through the trouble of finding a URL to the quote and fixing. I'd probably look like I was making a political statement these days when really I just thought it was a funny joke.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 05:56:57 PM »
It's ironic that Star Fox has continued on with constant misfires while F-Zero has not.  You figure the series that got the lousy game out of the deal would be the one to get mothballed.  But maybe the problem is that F-Zero's standards have remained too high and Nintendo isn't interested enough in the series to put in the effort required to meet fan expectations.  This was the chance to transition F-Zero into a mid-tier budget series but Sega buggered that up by raising the bar even higher!

To be fair, before Star Fox Zero I doubt that franchise's installments were big enough failures to consider mothballing it, unlike F-Zero GX sadly.
Only Star Fox Assault was really a premium product (Namco developed); Star Fox Command was a partial reimagining by Qgames/EAD of the then-unreleased Star Fox 2, the 3DS remake game was again a team-up with Qgames, and Guard probably would have gotten different branding if they didn't have Star Fox Zero in the pipeline.

Sure, Assault also underperformed, and was a co-production as was F-Zero GX, but I think it may have escaped scrutiny because it released so late in the GameCube's lifetime. And even then, we still know Nintendo at least attempted to get Criterion to do F-Zero, and have given the franchise nods in Nintendo Land and Mario Kart 8.

I guess what I'm saying is, F-Zero hit a few more speedbumps down the road, but the Star Fox franchise hasn't made massive amounts of progress since 2003 either. Only it did get luckier in developing a HD era game than F-Zero. Which is a bummer, because I like both series, and kinda hoped the Retro Studios F-Zero/Starfox cross-over was real.