Author Topic: Have you ever come up with an Idea...  (Read 4479 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Have you ever come up with an Idea...
« on: May 12, 2017, 02:14:40 AM »
Have you ever come up with an idea, and then later had someone else independently do your idea and it infuriate you?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever come up with an Idea...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
Yep. Android app that I worked on as a class project, saw it in the Play Store a year later.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:40:20 AM »
Yeah, this very thread!  >:(
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »
When I first started playing guitar two of the first songs I ever wrote were very similar to Pearl Jam's "Do the Evolution" and Offsprings "Gone Away".  I wrote my songs at least a year before those songs were released but they were so similar to what I wrote that I basically abandoned my songs because I knew they would be viewed as "rip offs". :(

My brother invented online FPS games.  He came up with this idea around the time that Duke Nukem 3D came out as he was playing modem games with his friends and thought of making an online-only multiplayer FPS using that newfangled internet thing that was on the rise at the time.  Essentially he created games like Destiny and Overwatch.  At the time my stupid ass said that such an idea would never catch on because it has no single player component.

My uncle invented breakfast sandwichs when he was a kid (so this is in the 60's).  He would take his entire breakfast and jam it into his crousant or toast or whatever bread-like substance he had at breakfast.  Everyone made fun of him but these days every fast food place in the country sells the damn things.

I invented the dual tank toilet where you can do a half-flush to save water.  And then weeks later went to a co-worker's house to see the same toilet I "invented" in their bathroom.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 02:32:50 AM »
My thing recently was About 3 years ago I bought a board game at the goodwill Called AtmosFEAR "The Harbingers"
It was a weird little game that came with a VHS tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmZQRN8fYBg

Anyways the game was very weird and cultish. We watched the video that came with it and it's host reminded me of a cross between emperor palpatine and the crypt keeper. Anyhow the game is overly complicated. The rules are explained for like 30 minutes. They just go over my head. I joked to my friend "if we ever play this we'll open a gateway to hell" Then immediately after I said that I thought it would be a great idea for a movie. I could do it on a low budget, it would be pretty sweet. I never got around to it. Lets just put it this way. I had a shitty 2016. Worst year of my life.

I log into netflix about 2weeks ago and I saw this.
https://www.netflix.com/watch/80117315?trkid=15035895&tctx=3%2C3%2Cdd27ebd1-49f7-44e5-8438-ff4599c3ce20-26354533
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_the_Gates_(film)

It's called Beyond the Gates. It's very very similar to how I envisioned my movie idea. It got an 80% on Rotten tomatoes, it won an LA film festival award. To add insult to injury the director is also from Tucson, Arizona. Of course we do note similarity in concept to Jumanji and Zathura, but those were not creepy VHS games. I wanted to be the first entry into the haunted VHS board game genre.

That was my most infuriating one.

I always wanted to make a dual handle toilet that allows you to flush the water out of the toilet but not the solids to prevent overflow. They have these in Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_flush_toilet

I drew a cross between a chicken and a cat which is basically what a Furby is.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 09:53:52 AM »
In the mid-90s, I thought it would have been cool if Nintendo released a fighting game featuring its most popular characters. A few years later, it released Super Smash Bros. I wasn't infuriated; I was ecstatic to see it actually happen and be better than I would have ever imagined.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »
In the mid-90s, I thought it would have been cool if Nintendo released a fighting game featuring its most popular characters. A few years later, it released Super Smash Bros. I wasn't infuriated; I was ecstatic to see it actually happen and be better than I would have ever imagined.

Ha ha.  Yeah, around that same time period I "invented" Capcom vs. SNK.  Actually I was just throwing in any fighter from a game that resembled Street Fighter II (so not Mortal Kombat or Virtua Fighter as the graphics didn't fit) but at the time that essentially WAS Capcom vs. SNK.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
I actually really appreciate the human races' tenacity to fulfil all plausible ideas. If Isaac Newton were hit by a meteorite before he wrote his laws of physics, they would have still been written, but by someone else.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 08:29:35 PM »
One time I came up with an idea for an airtight birth control with a color coded seal... let's just say, **** Ziploc.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 05:42:10 PM »
If I ever made a game, one of the silly details I thought up for it was to have a random tagline underneath the title on the title screen. As most probably know, this is what Minecraft now does, so if I did it now then I'd just be seen as ripping off something from Minecraft.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 06:30:28 AM »
Another one of my movie concepts pops up on Netflix. Man Vs.

Same idea. Near identical plot. It really pisses me off. I started writing this movie sometime in 2006. I was writing another movie in the mean time, so I never focused on it. I put it aside because I thought as a screenwriter starting out it was too ambitious to do. Not something an Indy writer could do. I had written Jamaican day, and while it is still pretty small scale there are things that might make it a higher budget indy film.

This idea was my baby though. While Jamaican Day was mostly a collection of stories involving my friends and I, "Jaguar Masterson" came from my mind.  When I had started writing it I started out with a very low budget idea in mind. Basically wanted to do my friend vs a wild beast. Then Bear Grylls Man vs Wild came out and I thought it would be great if it was a survival showfound footage type movie. I rewatched predator and decided it would be awesome if it was an alien instead. Then I watched district 9 and decided that it would be a cross between documentary style and
big budget action.

I have other ideas that didn't wind up in this movie. There are differences. It was interesting to see some ideas I never thought of. Still I think I could do it better. I had thought way back in 2011 that special effects haven't caught up to my idea. Also, my idea is way bigger. Indiana Jones big. And I had the plotline for 2 sequels worked out.

Fucking pissed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:44:46 PM by ThePerm »

Offline seninte

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 11:34:02 AM »
Yes! It happens often. It usually goes with my creativity in making up slogans. :/