Poll

New Mutants has been DELAYED yet again. When will it come out? Will it ever come out?

It'll get delayed till Summer time
They'll drop it in the October slot for Halloween
Streaming Rental on Disney+ for double the ticket price
It's cursed.... it's never coming out.
Make it a double feature with Black Widow in the Drive Thru's
Right after they do the reshoots... they have time now. lol

Author Topic: (NEW Poll Added!!) New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!  (Read 1209557 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: (NEW Poll Added!!) New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!
« Reply #4350 on: March 01, 2019, 09:03:08 AM »
Some salt might be needed as it cite inside sources.

https://fanfilmfactor.com/2018/07/23/a-funny-thing-happened-to-star-trek-discovery-editorial/

So what’s going on?  It’s hard to say with certainty, but I suspect that the folks behind Discovery (and the executives at CBS) are not ignoring what what has happened with The Orville.  Fox’s show debuted to comparable ratings as Discovery‘s pilot, and, even though total viewership dropped after its premiere, The Orville still pulled in 3.5 million viewers in the Nielsen overnights and even higher numbers in the 18-49 demographic when adjusted for delayed DVR viewing over the following three nights.

By comparison, some estimates of viewership for Discovery via CBS All Access are as low as only 250,000 to 500,000 per episode.  (Actually, it’s closer to 250K, but I can’t tell you how I know that.)  And even if every subscriber to All Access was watching Discovery (which isn’t the case), that’s still a million viewers less per episode than what Orville gets domestically.

Even if that's accurate, which I'm pretty skeptical of, it's not surprising that a show on over the air TV has more viewers than a streaming only show. Getting worse numbers than The Orville isn't the same as ratings being terrible. It's also discounting the international numbers on Netflix, which CBS got a big deal for. If they weren't happy with how it's doing they would have pulled the plug by now, or at least waited until more than halfway through season 2 to pick it up, and they wouldn't have announced 4 or 5 more Star Trek shows.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: March 01, 2019, 12:09:22 PM »
"Too big to fail" among other things. They don't have anything else to put on the service.

There is a a lot of back ground politics at play, face saving money, egos getting pushed around as Bad Robot is trying to hijack their Trek the default instead of OG Trek. STD and all future shows are made under an alternate Trek licensing agreement making it mandatory that they have all to be different enough not to impinge on OG Canon. They are both called Trek but never the two will meet (thank god).

The Picard show will not be a continuation from the end of TNG or anything TNG at all as they legally can't. It falls under the same agreement as STD. So will all other shows.

Had STD made the impact it was expected of it the subscriber numbers should have been a lot more. The viewership made up of only 10-20% of subs, if we extrapolate the number to the new sub count which was driven by sports ball, it is only doing 1.6 million, half Orville on a bad day.

The numbers were so bad Netflix didn't pick up the second season nor the short episodes which no one brought no matter the price. The international audience was just as bad. The Orville also taps into the same international audience. It might be a rumour. It is said that Marco Polo and another show I can't remember was cancelled to free up money for STD's first season.

STD is on their 5th show runner which is never a good sign as it signals nothing but turmoil.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: March 01, 2019, 12:14:48 PM »
Star Trek Discovery may or may not be a colossal failure that CBS is trying to save face on for the sake of a content-less streaming service. Without an official statement from CBS, we'll never know.

That said, I think their refusal to provide actual viewership or subscriber numbers to be rather telling. I feel like if STD were an actual success rather than a Loss Leader, CBS would be providing those numbers.  Granted, Netflix doesn't provide viewership numbers either, but last I checked they were also $20 billion in debt so who knows?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: March 01, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »
STD and all future shows are made under an alternate Trek licensing agreement making it mandatory that they have all to be different enough not to impinge on OG Canon. They are both called Trek but never the two will meet (thank god).

The Picard show will not be a continuation from the end of TNG or anything TNG at all as they legally can't. It falls under the same agreement as STD.

Where did you see this? That sounds like another of the bullshit conspiracy theories from those same idiots who were ranting about SJWs in Star Trek and assuring people Discovery was going to be canceled. They've explicitly said Discovery takes place in the same timeline as all the other shows and the first 10 movies and that the Picard show takes place post-Nemesis.

Star Trek Discovery may or may not be a colossal failure that CBS is trying to save face on for the sake of a content-less streaming service. Without an official statement from CBS, we'll never know.

That said, I think their refusal to provide actual viewership or subscriber numbers to be rather telling. I feel like if STD were an actual success rather than a Loss Leader, CBS would be providing those numbers.  Granted, Netflix doesn't provide viewership numbers either, but last I checked they were also $20 billion in debt so who knows?

As you said in your last point, nobody gives real numbers on streaming, so you can't really read too much into it. They don't have to, and since nobody else does they don't want to show their hand too much.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: March 02, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »
Prime =/= OG Canon. Prime is the timeline from the 2009 movie. That Spock isn't OG canon either. Kelvin is derived from "Prime".

Given the ridiculous crap they have done on the show I can't imagine what kind of hoops you would have to jump through to reconcile with itself let alone OG.

What numbers we do get doesn't have anything good to say about STD and that is reflected by events.

You don't need any of that dumb SJW **** to get to the meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtX_Oz4WsU

OHHHOOOLLLYYYFUCCKK Orville, it just showed up everything since Return of the Jedi.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: March 02, 2019, 05:44:55 PM »
I think it's fair to say we're never going to agree with each other on any of this, so I'm just going to drop it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: March 02, 2019, 06:58:48 PM »
OHHHOOOLLLYYYFUCCKK Orville, it just showed up everything since Return of the Jedi.

Orville totally did. I was like "This is not a movie?"

Macfarlane has been ready for this for years.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 07:04:15 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: March 02, 2019, 11:07:20 PM »
Even back with Family Guy they knew how to do fights. They gave the Chicken Fights an excellent cinematic feel no matter how incredulous it got. You reckon they got the same composer and orchestra for the music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4WGQmWcrbs

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: March 08, 2019, 02:53:14 AM »
Brightburn Trailer 2 (James Gunn produced evil superboy horror movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpiypAMXvSk

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: March 08, 2019, 01:16:16 PM »
Looks good. I plan to check it out.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: March 08, 2019, 02:14:05 PM »
Yeah that looks really good.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: March 09, 2019, 09:37:04 PM »
twitter reviews for Jordan Peele's US are coming in....

....and they sound fantastic.
I'm really looking forward to this one. Apparently Lupita N'yongo is Amazing in this as well.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: March 12, 2019, 12:16:14 PM »
Aladdin - full trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foyufD52aog

could be fun... I'm gonna watch it regardless just because, so it helps for me to stay postively optimistic about the movie :)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: March 12, 2019, 04:24:22 PM »
I've decided to just tune out all of the Live Disney Remakes because I'm just sick of them and their weird mix or beat-for-beat copying combined with their odd need to retcon the plot holes in old fairytales that didn't need to be retconned. If there is enough positive remarks post-release I'll wait for the discount theater or DisneyFlix to watch.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4364 on: March 12, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »
I liked the trailer and am pretty excited for it.  Aladdin is my favorite Disney animated film, and I love Will Smith.  So, this is for me.  Plus, everything else looks good about it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: March 12, 2019, 09:54:34 PM »
I think that new trailer actually looks pretty good. Aladdin was always my favorite too, I used to listen to the soundtrack a lot when I was a kid.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4366 on: March 13, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
I honestly don't get what people don't like about it.  I know it's not a cartoon and couldn't have Robin Williams, but it still looks great.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: March 13, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »
The first showing of the Will Smith CGI was pretty bad...that coupled with the first screens showing him as human made people think he wouldn't be blue. This trailer was pretty good though, people should give it a chance. I do find it weird that Jafar is not in disguise when he takes Alladin to the Cave of Wonders though.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: March 13, 2019, 09:05:42 PM »
Also, the track record of the modern Disney Live Action remakes is about on par with their direct-to-DVD sequels: some were allegedly decent (I actually quite like Aladdin & the King of Thieves and Lion King 2: Simba's Pride, and Cinderella 3 is generally considered to be something of a hidden gem). Most were trash.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: March 13, 2019, 11:55:53 PM »
Disney should have cast Jake Gyllenhaal as Aladdin.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: March 14, 2019, 10:23:41 PM »
with Ben Kingsley as Jafar.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: March 14, 2019, 10:53:39 PM »
...and Gemma Arterton as Jasmine, just to finish the joke.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: March 15, 2019, 07:07:08 AM »
Also, the track record of the modern Disney Live Action remakes is about on par with their direct-to-DVD sequels: some were allegedly decent (I actually quite like Aladdin & the King of Thieves and Lion King 2: Simba's Pride, and Cinderella 3 is generally considered to be something of a hidden gem). Most were trash.
Which ones have they made so far? I only remember The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast, and both were great.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: March 15, 2019, 07:29:35 AM »
Which ones have they made so far? I only remember The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast, and both were great.

Wikipedia lists the following released films:

Maleficent (technically a Sleeping Beauty remake of sorts)
Alice in Wonderland
Alice: Through the Looking Glass
Cinderella
Jungle Book
Beauty & the Beast
Christopher Robin

Now, some of those shouldn't be considered live action remakes, as Maleficent mostly goes down its own path, and Christopher Robin is actually a sequel to The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The 2 Alice films are also more like terrible sequels of their own to the original Alice in Wonderland film. However, for the purposes of this discussion most people still label them as "live action remakes."

Still unreleased are the following:

Dumbo
Aladdin
Maleficent sequel
Lady & the Tramp
Mulan
Cruella (101 Dalmations)
Pinocchio
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Lilo & Stitch
The Little Mermaid

I actually have some hope for that Hunchback film, as I really like that original film but it has major problems that a remake COULD address.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4374 on: March 15, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
I completely forgot about that Cinderella movie.  Don't think I ever saw it.

But I don't think it's fair to lump the Alice movies, and Christopher Robin with the rest of them. Maleficent maybe, but like you said, it does its own thing.  But then again Mulan seems to be trying to do its own thing, and that should probably count.