Author Topic: I hate the gaming community  (Read 3422 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
I hate the gaming community
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »

Gamers seem to have this elitist attitude that the only good games are ones with photorealistic graphics, running on high-end hardware, with huge production values. The gaming industry shouldn't be so one-sided and exclusive. Mobile gaming has helped expand gaming to millions of people who would never buy a console or gaming PC. There are billions of people in the world, most of them have cellphones, that's a huge market to cater to. Mobile games give them a form of quick entertainment that they can enjoy in short bursts. This does not take away from your enjoyment of AAA games.

Then there's the ridiculous claim that games should only be made for one demographic, adult men. Gamers look down upon women, children, or the elderly who might also enjoy playing games. This form of sexism is extremely prejudice and does nothing to promote diversity. The gaming industry is much bigger than you think, and if it's to be taken seriously like movies and music, it should cater to all different types of people, regardless of age, gender, or demographic.

In short, this whole "casual vs core gamer" facade needs to stop. It does nothing but spawn toxicity within the gaming community. This isn't an "us vs them" war, gaming should be accessible for everyone. People like to play different types of games, whether they're on consoles, PC, or mobile devices. We should be happy that gaming has finally become accessible for everyone, it's no longer considered a nerdy hobby.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: I hate the gaming community
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
I do agree with what your saying but there is no denying there are casual gamers and hard-core gamers, by that I mean people how play games very little and tho's (like me) who play heaps and spend heaps on video games, so I would be pretty pissed if someone said I wasn't a hard-core gamer, tendoboy, my boy :rolleyes:
Made you look ****.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:09:11 AM »
It is lousy.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 01:29:47 AM »
Welcome to the last decade of gaming.  Of course the sad part is many of the gaming industry is filled with people who share the same views that only the 18-35 year old dudebro's are important, which funny enough has caused lots of studio's to either shutdown, downsize, or can either make 2-3 games a year if they're lucky.

So the elitist who only want games with high production values, are basically killing the games they love since their demand for huge AAA budgets on the latest hardware keeps getting more and more unrealistic for actual gaming companies to handle.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:41:02 AM »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 02:43:02 AM »
I'm with you Tendoboy1984. I don't really care whether a game is casual or hardcore. I like both styles (although not so much the mobile gaming scene). Whether it is getting all 242 stars in Super Mario Galaxy 2 or just playing a Crossword or Sudoku puzzle, I'm up for many different types of games and experiences. The one genre I really don't touch, though, is the FPS genre which is the one that also has that "us vs them" mentality the most going by fan communities. Maybe that helps me keep this more level headed view on games by not worrying about being ultra competitive. All I ask is that a game be made competently and provide a good experience. Heck, I like Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Just Dance so it is not like I'm that hard to please.

That said, there's more to this than the way you've put it and if I have time, I may elaborate on it as to why the issue is not just a simple case of entitlement by some gamers.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:21:10 AM »
There is so much wrong with both the premise & execution of this topic's original rant that I just have to move on or I'd be at this all night picking it apart. "The Only Winning Move is Not to Play" and all that. Suffice it to say that blanket statements are fun, but it's nice to have specifics and, perhaps, examples to back up inane ranting.  As it is, this is just a circle jerk.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:28:02 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:55:22 AM »

I too, despise the gaming community. But for reasons that go beyond dudebros talking bout teh Madden and CoD.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »
There is so much wrong with both the premise & execution of this topic's original rant that I just have to move on or I'd be at this all night picking it apart. "The Only Winning Move is Not to Play" and all that. Suffice it to say that blanket statements are fun, but it's nice to have specifics and, perhaps, examples to back up inane ranting.  As it is, this is just a circle jerk.
My my, it seems like something struck a nerve. Seeing a lot of yourself in that initial rant, my dear Broody?

In all seriousness, though, I think there's enough toxicity in a number of different, vocal parts of the gaming community that it's hard to focus a single rant on just one. There's an entitled, uneducated bunch who expect the latest hardware and software to dazzle them at every turn. There's an overly sensitive and defensive portion who believe that artistic and social representation in games needs to be the direction that the medium must progress, there's an overly nostalgic portion who sticks too closely to their beloved franchises and developers despite staff being shifted and switched out with the inevitable flow of time, and many other subgroups that I don't care to mention. There is one bottom line, though, and that is, gamers feel that their time is precious and are offended at the idea that a bad game that is long could take up so much of their time, which is usually why critique is so harsh. Look at most of us here, we're all outspoken on certain titles, developers, etc that don't cater to us or appreciate us in the way we feel should be NECESSARY, but then again, there's tons of low-budget, independent, and/or bizarre films out there that we choose not to indulge in because we feel it isn't made for us. Some people need to simply grow up and understand that works for a number of mediums, not just your favorite pasttime.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 05:03:26 PM »
Do you have any specifics, perhaps even examples to back your claim up?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
Because i'm bored & waiting for my wife to finish bug hunting in Animal Crossing before we finish off the Wolf Among Us, thought i'd chime in:

The post is painting with broad strokes.  The term "gamers" in an of itself is a diverse group of people, and I think the consensus opinion will vary wildly by what subsections of the population you communicate to.  I and many others seem to like "photorealistic" graphics, but can very much appreciate a more stylized look in games.  In fact, many on this website would suggest graphics with a unique art style stand the test of time visually (wind waker?).

On mobile gaming, what is true is that phone platforms have opened up a wide new potential audience.  That said, I'd theorize that it's the same casual social gaming crowd that populated the Wii's install base - people who get engaged in one or two games and that's all they play.  Additionally, I'd suggest this gaming population is also a large reason why most of the games you see get popular on mobile are the F2P games that many have lamented are having their monetization strategies bleeding into full retail releases.

I don't really know where you're getting the assertion that any serious crowd think games should adhere only to adult men.  That said, there's no denying that gaming characters are heavily skewed towards young, white, heterosexual males.  Without any data otherwise, I wonder whether this is an assumption by developers that gamers want to play as this type of character, or more a representation of the developers creating characters they identify with largely.  I will personally say the demographic of the character I play as is largely unimportant to me.

On your last paragraph, you make mention that gaming is no longer considered a nerdy habit, but i'd argue it's something that A) is perceived differently based on an age gap (Older people still seem to hold same prejudices), and B) there are still plenty in younger age brackets that see the entertainment as childish.  I'm fairly young for the department I work in my company, and the few times I've made mention of anything gaming related or even casually mention an interest in video games, the best I usually get in response is a confused look like they're thinking "wow, I'm surprised you'd waste your time on that".

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »
Please note: The ice this thread is on makes Kate Moss look like a sumo wrestler.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:09 PM »
Please note: The ice this thread is on makes Kate Moss look like a sumo wrestler.

You get out of here, mr fancy-pants podcaster.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 10:19:34 PM »
I still don't understand, there is hardcore and casual games is he trying to say he hates the assholes that just play COD (and lets face it new COD games are just copy pastes) or he hates peps who love different games?

I love the Gaming community.

sure there are trolls (but aren't there always?)

sure it's not fantastic.

but there's no place I'd rather be then with my friends or you guys and sitting down and playing a great game.
Made you look ****.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
I don't really care for any "community" because when you have a large group of people there will be unlikable assholes hidden within.  So I like individuals.  I know self-described hardcore gamers that are cool guys I get along with great because of our common interest.  I've met some that are obnoxious jerks.  I've met some that are socially inept nerds that I don't know what to think of but I haven't taken the time to get to know because they have horrible hygiene and smell bad so I don't want them near me.

As for the core vs. casual it is all a matter of opinion and taste so it shouldn't matter what other people like, right?  Except it actually DOES because it's all a business.  If Group A generates more revenue for a company than Group B they're going to focus more effort on Group A, potentially at the expense of Group B.  It is very much in your best interest that what you like is popular and financially successful so that more of what you like is made.  If not enough people share your tastes then there will be less product catered to your tastes being made.

For example Fantasy Life 2 is going to be a cellphone game.  I liked Fantasy Life 1 a lot.  I bought it and voted with my wallet and would like a sequel made for the 3DS with me and other people that liked that game as the target audience.  Nope, the cellphone gamers get it instead.  The game is being made for that audience that I am not part of because that audience generates more revenue.  In another example, Konami is basically tossing aside the audience that bought their product for over 20 years for cellphone games because they feel the casual audience will make them more money.  I was shitting bricks about the XB1's original anti-consumer design because I was afraid that enough people would accept it that it would become the norm and it was a design I wanted nothing to do with.  If I ended up the wrong side then I would be in a situation where I either have to go along with something I don't want or give up on gaming altogether.

THAT is why this stuff matters.  That's why people tend to get a little vicious about it.  If you're in the minority audience there is less product for you.  Companies you liked and supported may change their product to something you're not interested in.  And in this case we're not talking about some niche audience.  Core gamers used to be the majority.  You go from having most of the videogame being made being designed seemingly for your tastes to being some niche minority?  Of course people are going to be pissed.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 11:33:42 PM »
But that's just a different sense of entitlement.  The gaming culture has ALWAYS been two-sided with one side motivated by profit.  When companies decide to look for more profitable ventures, what did you expect?  You want the one side to either keep catering to you at their detriment or  "figure it out".  Yeah, you get to vote with your dollars, but sometimes what you vote for doesn't pan out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.