Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Watcha Watchin'?
« on: December 03, 2020, 05:55:06 PM »
Just curious what TV shows / series users on the forum are watching these days. No big write-up required. Just wondering what's hot.

I'll go first.

Wheel of Fortune
Jeopardy
The Daily Show
Conan
Weakest Link
The Amazing Race
The Goldbergs
The Simpsons (Started watching it again last year in Season 30 and have continued into Season 31 this year after dropping out way back around season 16 maybe)
Various Jamie Oliver cooking shows.

Recently wrapped up:

Tosh.0 may have aired its last new episode a couple weeks ago unless it gets picked up on another channel.
Homeland - 2 episodes left in the last / final season so that will be wrapped up right away as well.

Probably go through Fargo Season 4 next but looking for some viewing inspiration I guess which is why I wanted to launch this thread.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »
In the past few weeks, I rewatched Gundam SEED via the recently-released BluRays with the new English dub (which is far superior to the shitty Ocean dub). Also watched the Devil Survivor 2 anime. I also watched the entirety of the Demon Slayer anime (which is only up to its 1st season so far).

Other assorted anime: Chivalry of a Failed Knight; Yamada-kun & the 7 Witches; Rage of Bahamut; Id: Invaded; and Astra Lost in Space.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »
Currently
  • The Mandalorian
  • Agent Carter
  • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
  • Sex Education
  • Community
  • Unsolved Mysteries (I think I’ve watched all the ones that interested me, but I technically haven’t finished it)

On Hiatus (I’ll watch as soon as more episodes are released)
  • Castlevania
  • Better Call Saul
  • Stranger Things
  • Disenchantment
  • Russian Doll
  • The Witcher

Rewatching
  • The Legend of Korra
  • The Simpsons (I put it on in the background sometimes)

Recently Finished
  • The Good Place (I’ve been meaning to do a big write up)
  • Agents of Shield (I’ve been meaning to do a big write up)
  • The Queen’s Gambit
  • The Boys
  • Schitt’s Creek
  • The Seven Deadly Sins (this show is terrible)

I’ll Get Back Around To These Eventually
  • Luke Cage
  • Jessica Jones
  • Iron Fist
  • The New Girl
  • The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:50:33 PM by Adrock »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 10:29:50 PM »
In the past few weeks, I rewatched Gundam SEED via the recently-released BluRays with the new English dub (which is far superior to the shitty Ocean dub).

Hmmm. Never really think of anime much. I've thought about trying another Gundam series but have never put serious effort into doing so. Are you familiar with Gundam Wing? If so, how would you say Seed compares to Wing?

That reminds me. I've seen Robotech and Neon Genesis Evangelion on streaming services and I've always heard of those as major (or classic) anime series. Maybe I should try giving those a spin.

For Adrock,

Are you enjoying Marvelous Mrs. Maisel? It's been on a mental list of mine to check out but then I forget about it since I'm not subscribing to Amazon prime.

Man, can't believe Better Call Saul is already on to the final season and will likely wrap up some point next year. It's the show that I still have the most excited to watch of current shows. After its wrapped up, I don't what will replace that. Maybe Barry but I'm not sure that show will have that long a lifespan based on how it is unfolding.

The Queen's Gambit. That's been one of the few new shows I've been aware of this year that's also had good critical buzz. Worth watching?

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I watched the first two seasons but never went back to it. A couple episodes might have some laugh out loud stuff but I'd classify most of it as "sensible chuckle", just way too stupid to be funny or a shrug. I thought about going back to it as Season 3 and 4 came out and I see reviews posted for it but I had no compulsion to get back to it. I'd frankly forgotten it even existed until seeing your comment despite having watched those first two seasons.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 12:30:12 AM »
Lots of reruns of The Golden Girls, Roseanne, and MASH, but those are the old standbys.

Current stuff is The Conners and Mom. Wanting to binge some This Is Us, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to do so. Still on the fourth episode of the entire series.  :o
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 01:20:13 AM »
In the past few weeks, I rewatched Gundam SEED via the recently-released BluRays with the new English dub (which is far superior to the shitty Ocean dub).

Hmmm. Never really think of anime much. I've thought about trying another Gundam series but have never put serious effort into doing so. Are you familiar with Gundam Wing? If so, how would you say Seed compares to Wing?

Yes, I'm familiar with Wing. I haven't watched it in decades, but I've always had a lot of issues with it (namely that the 5 core Gundams are so insanely overpowered that the show lacks any stakes for most of its run). Still, the characters are likeable enough (especially Duo) and the music is top notch, It's popular for a reason.

Gundam SEED was Bandai's attempt to remake the original 1970s Mobile Suit Gundam with modern sensibilities, bringing in elements like cloning and genetic engineering that were hot button issues at the time. SEED has its issues (Kira's plot armor is somewhat legendary), but if you like Wing I highly recommend the new "HD version" of SEED that's been partially reanimated for widescreen and completely re-dubbed. It's my favorite Gundam TV Series.

If you're in the mood for something shorter, though, I highly recommend MS Gundam: The 8th MS Team, my favorite Gundam OVA series (and one that often ran alongside Wing back in the day).

Incidentally, after the success of SEED, Bandai did attempt to remake Gundam Wing in a similar vein in their 1st HD Gundam series: Gundam 00. Now, I haven't finished 00 (and Ocean's English dub is not very good), but it's not a great show. If you want another show like Wing, though, that's your show.

That reminds me. I've seen Robotech and Neon Genesis Evangelion on streaming services and I've always heard of those as major (or classic) anime series. Maybe I should try giving those a spin.

Ah memories...if there's one regret I have from my podcasting days, it's that I never took the chance to talk about Robotech. It's a show that got me through a lot of dark times in my life.

Robotech is more than a little dated (not to mention deservedly controversial), but it's also one of my all-time favorite anime series, if not my absolute favorite. It's hard to explain why without going into a extremely lengthy post, but suffice it to say that I really love the "generational" aspect to the show that's unique to Robotech compared to the 3 series that were edited to create it. It's a pity that Shadow Chronicles looks to be as far as that continuity will ever go. A true sequel's been stuck in development hell for decades now.

As for Evangelion, it's a worthwhile series but I don't recommend watching the version of it that's available on streaming services, as that uses a terrible new English dub that was pretty much made by the new Japanese rights holders. The old ADV dub had its issues, but the new dub is so stiff and literal. I'd recommend the recent "Rebuild" movies, but the 3rd one is rather infamously terrible and the 4th one has been in development hell for years.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:22:54 AM by broodwars »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 04:16:14 AM »
I loved the Robotech story with the transforming motorcycles.  I wasn't a big fan of the jets to robots stories.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 04:30:04 PM »
Are you enjoying Marvelous Mrs. Maisel? It's been on a mental list of mine to check out but then I forget about it since I'm not subscribing to Amazon prime.
Yes. Season 1 was excellent. Season 2 was markedly worse but still good. I thoroughly hated the ending. I’ve been dragging my feet on watching Season 3 because of the direction the writers took the story. Rachel Brosnahan is just a delight.
Man, can't believe Better Call Saul is already on to the final season and will likely wrap up some point next year. It's the show that I still have the most excited to watch of current shows. After its wrapped up, I don't what will replace that.
Unless there’s another spin-off, I don’t think anything can replace it. Even if there is another, I don’t know what else there is to explore in that world. Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould get paid the big bucks to figure that out, and if they think there’s more story to tell, I think they’ve earned more than the benefit of the doubt.
The Queen's Gambit. That's been one of the few new shows I've been aware of this year that's also had good critical buzz. Worth watching?
Yes. It’s short with only eight episodes. All of them are strong though there’s a stretch in the penultimate episode that drags a bit considering where it stands in the story. Without giving anything away, I felt the writers either needed to do more or less of it. Like it could have been a time skip, but if they were going to spend time on it, I think it should have been two episodes that they squeezed into part of one.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I watched the first two seasons but never went back to it. A couple episodes might have some laugh out loud stuff but I'd classify most of it as "sensible chuckle", just way too stupid to be funny or a shrug. I thought about going back to it as Season 3 and 4 came out and I see reviews posted for it but I had no compulsion to get back to it. I'd frankly forgotten it even existed until seeing your comment despite having watched those first two seasons.
Yeah, that’s about right. There are definitely moments though I think the reason I dropped the show was because it was consistent. I’m still at the end of Season 2.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 05:07:08 PM »
Current Shows I'm Watching

• Star Trek: Discovery
• Ted Lasso
• Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet
• Moonbase 8

Older Shows I'm Currently Watching for the First Time

• Brooklyn Nine-Nine
• Scrubs
• The Kids in the Hall
• Community (First Time with Commentaries)

Rewatching (Usually in the background while doing something else

• The Simpsons
• The West Wing
• Star Trek: Deep Space 9
• Futurama
• The Drew Carey Show
• NewsRadio
• Seinfeld
• Mr. Show
• Flight of the Conchords
• 30 Rock
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 05:38:41 PM »

As for Evangelion, it's a worthwhile series but I don't recommend watching the version of it that's available on streaming services, as that uses a terrible new English dub that was pretty much made by the new Japanese rights holders. The old ADV dub had its issues, but the new dub is so stiff and literal. I'd recommend the recent "Rebuild" movies, but the 3rd one is rather infamously terrible and the 4th one has been in development hell for years.

Gonna butt into this conversation, since I watched Evangelion for the first time this year. Admittedly didn't try the (new?) dubbed version, and my anime knowledge is very limited. But I just went straight to Japanese audio with English subtitles, and it was totally fine as a newcomer. The show borrows like three words from German(?) I googled, but honestly it would be fine without knowing those too.

What I will say is that while Evangelion is a wildly uneven show, and at times deeply uncomfortable, it really floored me in a way not much media has in years. There's some repetition and filler episodes which bog its pacing down, but luckily there's not too many episodes and they are fairly short too.

Gonna throw out a warning about the general tone of the show though, which you might consider a spoiler Khush, but I wish someone had told me before going in: Evangelion frequently deals with deeply depressing subject matter. I went in expecting basically a Japanese take on like, I don't know, Star Wars? An upbeat 90s anime with mechs and space aliens? Turns out it more closely resembled how I felt watching Requiem For A Dream.
I would recommend anyone to watch the series if they're remotely interested, especially newcomers to anime like myself. But depending on how much media/stories can affect your mood, consider not doing so if you're in a bad mental place

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »

Gonna butt into this conversation, since I watched Evangelion for the first time this year. Admittedly didn't try the (new?) dubbed version, and my anime knowledge is very limited. But I just went straight to Japanese audio with English subtitles, and it was totally fine as a newcomer. The show borrows like three words from German(?) I googled, but honestly it would be fine without knowing those too.

What I will say is that while Evangelion is a wildly uneven show, and at times deeply uncomfortable, it really floored me in a way not much media has in years. There's some repetition and filler episodes which bog its pacing down, but luckily there's not too many episodes and they are fairly short too.

Gonna throw out a warning about the general tone of the show though, which you might consider a spoiler Khush, but I wish someone had told me before going in: Evangelion frequently deals with deeply depressing subject matter. I went in expecting basically a Japanese take on like, I don't know, Star Wars? An upbeat 90s anime with mechs and space aliens? Turns out it more closely resembled how I felt watching Requiem For A Dream.
I would recommend anyone to watch the series if they're remotely interested, especially newcomers to anime like myself. But depending on how much media/stories can affect your mood, consider not doing so if you're in a bad mental place

Yeah, I've kind of taken it as a given that people know that Anno (the show's director) was suffering massive depression from pretty much the midpoint of the series onward, and it's reflected in the show. Eva also suffered massive budget cuts towards its end, leading to literal MINUTES of still frames being on the screen with absolutely nothing happening except for background music.

That was one of the reasons why we were so hopeful about the Rebuild movies at first, because the 1st 2 indicate a more well-adjusted and hopeful Anno.

Then the 3rd movie happened, and that all went to ****.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 07:08:42 AM »
Well I am just going to give a list of what I have watched this year before and since March.

Before March.

Charmed (Early 2000s) I have all the seasons on DVD.

Jessica Jones season 1 and 2. Rewatched season 1 with my girlfriend and watched season 2. Over a weekend while she slept.

Sense 8 Season 2. I had watched season 1 when I had Netflix in Cali before I moved to Arizona.

The Flash Season 1 and 2 at my sisters.

The L Word. I watched season 1 back in Cali and found some DVDs and watched the remaining seasons.  I also found The L Word: Generation Q on youtube. That is a sequel to the first series.

Lots of LGBTQIA+ content...

Since March.

Castlevania on Netflix. Excellent show and the art style is so good.  Really expands the mythos and lore of the Castlevania series.

Your Lie in April.   Ongoing with this one and rewatching it. One of my fave animes ever.

High Score. Which is a video game documentary series. I am on episode 3 of 6 right now.  Liking the look back on video game history.

Glee.  One of my fave shows to rewatch.  It is good to watch for the uplifting songs and the different characters and how they react with each other. 

I watched a little bit of Bill Nye Saves the World.  Lots of science stuff.

Just finished The Umbrella Academy.  Lots of different superheroes and time travel with doom on the horizon. Sign me up. 

Also started watching Legends of Tomorrow and I am in the middle of season 2. 

Oh I also watched Cobra Kai, Gotham, The Queens Gambit, Glow, Gurren Lagann to completion.  Highly recommend them all.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:12:51 AM by BeautifulShy »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.