Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3155313 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
DQVII or FFVII 3DS!?
« Reply #5075 on: November 23, 2011, 05:19:07 PM »
Rumor has it that Nintendo is set to drop a "Megaton" announcement at the announcement of 3DS selling XXMillion Units WW.

It is a remix of the 7th entry in a popular JRPG series that will go on sale 6 months after the release of a spinoff of the same series.

Quote from: creamsugar
OK here is the rumor: big N will announce a megaton on next year’s meeting which to celebrate 3DS sold XX million.

It’s a remix version of the 7th game of a famous (J)RPG series, and will sell half year later of a spin-off game of the series.

Now your first thought has to be something like Dragon Quest 7 right?
that's a no brainer. Nintendo and SE are close and DQ has been remade on the DS all the way up to 6 so far.

but lets use what we know to complicate the issue.
There are 2 spinoffs of popular JRPG franchises coming to 3DS next year.

1.) Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (2012)
&
2.) Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Feb 2012)

Now as simple as it is to just believe that it will be DQ7, since that would be logical since the remake of DQ6 released on DS (in the US) earlier this year.

But what if it's FF7

If Nintendo really wants to boost 3DS sales while hitting Sony & Vita where it hurts most, FF7 would be a BIG win in the 3DS column.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5076 on: November 23, 2011, 05:34:04 PM »
If you ever want proof that Square Enix has lost it (or only cares about pre-merger Enix properties) it's the fact that a Final Fantasy VII remake has never been done.  I can't think of more OBVIOUS can't-miss hit.  The fans have begged for it for years.  And how could you even **** it up?  You just make the exact same game with better graphics.  Done.

I don't think a DQVII remake is really all that exciting of an idea.  There really isn't anything that seperates the seventh game from the other ones in terms of status or prestige.  It certainly is no "megaton" announcement.  Oh wait, any time a rumour uses the m-word it means it's going to be a huge letdown so DQVII it is.

Though the hell with having a FFVII remake on the 3DS.  Get it as a Wii U exclusive!  Now THAT would shed the casual label pretty damn quick!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5077 on: November 23, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »
A DQ7 remake wouldn't be "big" news, especially if the other six have already been remade. It's not the kind of thing that's even worth a rumor, unless you're just trying to troll. Now, FFVII would be huge. It's the kind of thing that'd merit a big, surprise announcement.

On that alone, I wanna think it's FFVII. I want to.

Edit: It'd also be easier to say "six months after a spin off" for something with a firmer release date. Plus, you could say Dragon Quest Monsters has become it's own series, even if it's a spin-off series.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:01:50 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: November 23, 2011, 06:01:42 PM »
If you ever want proof that Square Enix has lost it (or only cares about pre-merger Enix properties) it's the fact that a Final Fantasy VII remake has never been done.  I can't think of more OBVIOUS can't-miss hit.  The fans have begged for it for years.  And how could you even **** it up?  You just make the exact same game with better graphics.  Done.
I disagree. Of course, it's an instant hit but Square Enix never had any reason to go back to the well... until recently. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is still MIA. Final Fantasy XIII enjoyed good sales but was hammered for its linearity. And Final Fantasy XIV just got plain hammered by everyone. It's not easy to recover from a string of failures in your biggest money maker. A remake of Final Fantasy VII is something Square Enix is saving for a rainy day, a day when they really **** up. It's like buying your girlfriend flowers and new earrings then taking her to her favorite restaurant because you forgot her birthday and/or insulted her mother.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: November 23, 2011, 06:08:38 PM »
What other jRPG series have at least 7 installments?  Wizardry comes to mind.  Tales of Legendia was the 7th Tales game.  I don't suppose there are any spinoffs of those series coming out, though.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: November 23, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
wouldnt people rather a console ff7 remake? I think people would **** skyscrapers if they saw that ff7 was coming to wii u with graphics from that ps3 demo and was exclusive to Wii U
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: November 23, 2011, 06:52:51 PM »
wouldnt people rather a console ff7 remake? I think people would **** skyscrapers if they saw that ff7 was coming to wii u with graphics from that ps3 demo and was exclusive to Wii U

Good point.  The fans demanding it want HD visuals.  If they did it on the 3DS they would be following Nintendo's lead of 32/64 bit generation remakes.  But just because it would make more sense to make it a console remake doesn't mean that's what Square Enix is doing.  They had FF remakes on the GBA and DS so maybe they're just keeping the trend and plan to offer VII, VIII and IX as 3DS remakes over the next few years.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5082 on: November 23, 2011, 06:54:04 PM »
A DQ7 remake wouldn't be "big" news, especially if the other six have already been remade. It's not the kind of thing that's even worth a rumor, unless you're just trying to troll. Now, FFVII would be huge. It's the kind of thing that'd merit a big, surprise announcement.

It would be in Japan, and the leak's based on Famitsu isn't it? Plus, SquareEnix are the second best trolls in the industry behind Nintendo.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: November 23, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »
Yes, the rumor is based on info from Famitsu and Famitsu has been more or less reliable with their info.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: November 25, 2011, 12:35:40 PM »
*shrug*
FF7 portable would be just fine.  I personally wouldn't be looking forward to it.  I like the game.  Mainly the Battle and item system it used.  I think they should do that again but, I detest with a passion the new visuals they've given to the characters in the newest batch of Spin-off material.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5085 on: November 25, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »
I hope for the sake of artistic integrity that Square-Enix never remakes FF7.  For one thing, the constant wailing and gnashing of teeth from that particularly whiny fanbase over a single game is delightful.  The only thing quite like it is the crying of Half Life fans over wanting Half Life 3.   ;)

The thing is, I played FF7 back in its day and I replayed it about a year ago via the PSN version, and both times I generally liked the game.  Playing it reminds me how much my extreme dislike for that fanbase warps my memories of the game.  But it is a product of its time both in gameplay and story, and the diehard fans have blown certain things about it WAY out of proportion (like their worship for the story and characters despite both being quite terrible).

I'm sure Square-Enix will eventually cave in and remake the game, and then the fans will nitpick them to death on every little thing that didn't live up to their inflated expectations.  Square-Enix would have to craft a perfect game from every conceivable angle and change NOTHING to appease the diehard FF7 fans, and that's neither artistically nor realistically feasible.  I'd rather Square-Enix work on new games that push the genre forward rather than constantly looking back.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: November 25, 2011, 05:01:16 PM »
I get what broodwars is saying about how Square Enix should move forward, rather than looking back.  I feel that way for the industry as a whole.  Remake and re-releases are common.  If you want a sure-thing hit, just remake some old game and every sucker will line up to play the same game again and again.

It's the frequency of it that offends me.  I think old titles should definitely be made available in their original form like with the VC.  For outright remakes however it ideally should be saved for only a handful of select titles.  I remember when Super Mario All-Stars came out.  I never thought that Nintendo was rehashing.  To me the SMB trilogy was so significant that remaking it for the SNES made sense.  Of course they included all three games in one cartridge as well as an unreleased Japan-only game.  So you had some of the most important games ever made, bundled together for the cost of a single game, with a unreleased rarity thrown in.  If that was the typical path these things took, no one would complain.  It was only when everyone went nuts with SNES-to-GBA ports that I started to get annoyed.

Square actually had some pretty good re-releases on the Playstation.  Final Fantasy Anthology included both FF V and VI and it was the first time FF V was released here.  FF Chronicles is a little more redundant but at least it has two games on it (and pretty obscure ones as well) and FF Origins brought FF II to North America.  It's the modern "here's Chrono Trigger sold for the exact same price as a brand new DS game" trend that's no good.

FF VII isn't necessarily the best FF but it is undoubtable the most significant from a historical point of view.  It made the Playstation and made Japanese RPGs popular in North America.  It is certainly the sort of rare title deserving of a remake.  In that sense, why not give the fans what they want?  Sure Square Enix has gone nuts with remakes but THIS is the one title that truly deserved it.  It want SE to move forward as well but it would be a big waste for them to spend so much time being remake-happy and to not remake FF VII.  That's like how Nintendo released on those NPC titles but did NOT localize Pikmin 2, the one title that had real demand for a re-release.  The whole thing seems like a cruel joke without it.

How about SE lays off the past and looks towards the future... but first remakes FF VII to make this whole remaking endeavour somewhat worthwhile?

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: November 25, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
Remakes don't sell all that well, it's better off for Squaresoft to focus on the next installment of FF IMO than remake FFVII.

Movie remakes are a bit different since it's only an 1.5 hrs of your time but replaying the same 40 hour game in high-resolution isn't going attract those 7 million fans.  The story has been told and unless it's going be an "reboot" I'll skip over it.

Same for Metroid II for that matter. 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: November 25, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
FF VII isn't necessarily the best FF but it is undoubtable the most significant from a historical point of view.  It made the Playstation and made Japanese RPGs popular in North America.  It is certainly the sort of rare title deserving of a remake.  In that sense, why not give the fans what they want?

Because the whiny Final Fantasy 7 fanbase doesn't deserve any more projects devoted strictly to them.  Let's take a look back at all that Square-Enix has already given these fans over the past 15 years:

- a full-length animated CG movie sequel in Advent Children, which also had a Blu-Ray director's cut with extended footage.

- a 22-minute long animated OVA detailing early events in the Final Fantasy 7 story in Last Order.

- a PS2 action game sequel in Dirge of Cerberus, staring one of the most popular characters in FF7, Vincent.

- a PSP prequel in Crisis Core, filling in the gaps in the Zack/Sephiroth story.

- a cellphone prequel starring the Turks in Before Crisis.

- multiple major appearances by Final Fantasy 7 characters in the Kingdom Hearts games, with Sephiroth in particular being a major bonus boss in at least two of those games if not more (and Cloud being a major character).

- multiple major appearances by Final Fantasy 7 characters in the Dissidia and Ehrgeiz games.

The Final Fantasy 7 fanbase has been catered to more than any other ever since that game released (even taking into account all the re-releases), and yet that still isn't enough for so many of them.  Every time a new Final Fantasy project gets announced that's not Final Fantasy 7 related, they throw a hissy fit.  And if the last 15 years are any indication, not even getting a remake would make them happy.  No, they can sit down and shut up while other Final Fantasy games new and old get their time in the spotlight.

And by the way, everything I've read about the "Final Fantasy Chronicles" port of Chrono Trigger says that it is an abysmal port, with massive loading and sound issues.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:46:43 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5089 on: November 25, 2011, 07:54:14 PM »
I didn't mind the sound on the Chronicles Chrono Trigger, but the loading times for every battle made me want to punt a kitten.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: November 25, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »
Because the whiny Final Fantasy 7 fanbase doesn't deserve any more projects devoted strictly to them.

I would argue that while Square Enix has made many projects targetted at the whiny FF7 fanbase, they have not actually made the one project the FF7 fanbase is actually asking for - a modern remake of the game.  It's kind of like how Nintendo makes tons and tons of Mario product.  You might think "man, those Mario fans are catered to way too much and me as a Pikmin or Star Fox or StarTropics fan is left out in the cold."  But those various Mario spin-offs aren't what the Mario fanbase is asking for.  They'll buy those spin-offs and usually enjoy them but all they really are asking for is new Mario platformers.  Square Enix has focused a lot on the FF7 fanbase but has really been manipulating them by creating product no one really wanted or asked for that they know the fanbase can't resist.  All the while the product the fans actually want has not been made.

So my attitude is much like my attitude about SE remakes - make the FF7 product the fans actually want and then lay off that game for a long time.  Much like with the remakes the emphasis on extra FF7 product would be a waste if it didn't include a remake.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: November 26, 2011, 01:47:41 AM »
Using Mario is an odd choice for that analogy, as while Nintendo does do a lot of spinoff titles they also regularly release new Mario platformers. Hell, they just released one of the best ones they've ever made a couple weeks ago.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: November 26, 2011, 04:38:29 AM »
I never liked the ff7 game, i just didnt buy it. For such high production values, it came off as gimmicky and cheap. I had to sit through a lot of stuff before saving was an option and that's total ****. I wasn't having fun and I hate random battles. Also, the fact that the art style was inconsistent between the game and the random battles was off putting. Im not a big fan of pre-rendered backgrounds, and I only tolerated them in the resident evil series(luckily they're fucking gone). You could make a totally different ff7 game though, i mean if you dropped pre-rendered backgrounds and tried to do it legit it would be pretty epic, Id still not be a big fan of the random battles, except on wii u pad they might be fun. I like strategy rpgs but i really dislike walking around then the screen shakes and im forced into a random battle...

id like to play a game which gameplay wasn't designed around cutting corners on NES, the characters are popular enough, i'd like them presented in another way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:40:58 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: November 26, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »
NES? FF7 was on the PS1.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: November 26, 2011, 10:13:18 AM »
Chocobo Racing 7

It's so awesome it skips the other iterations.

FACE.

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: November 26, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »
If it does turn out to be FF7 I will be disappointed.  I think it's a horribly overrated game (FF6 rapes its face) and is lifted to a mythical, yet laughable, status.  Don't get me wrong it's good but the fanboy gushing over this game is tantamount to idle worship.

Give me Chocobo Racing action in treeee deeeee.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: November 26, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »
NES? FF7 was on the PS1.
He specifically referenced the gameplay so I think he's talking about turn-based battles.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: November 26, 2011, 04:33:48 PM »
If it does turn out to be FF7 I will be disappointed.  I think it's a horribly overrated game (FF6 rapes its face) and is lifted to a mythical, yet laughable, status.  Don't get me wrong it's good but the fanboy gushing over this game is tantamount to idle worship.

Agreed. It's funny reading about how people love the story and characters when both are laughably bad.
Gameplay is ok though but isn't worthy of the golden idol status it gets.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5098 on: November 26, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »
Maybe that's the real reason it's never been remade.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: November 26, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
I liked Yuffie. Sure, she's no Celes but let's be honest, no other Final Fantasy character will ever match Celes's awesomeness.