Author Topic: Shiren the Wanderer DS Thread of Helping Jonny Not Give Up  (Read 12232 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Shiren the Wanderer DS Thread of Helping Jonny Not Give Up
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »
Roguelike fans and anyone else familiar with Shiren DS... please help. I am truly fascinated by this game and have already enjoyed a lot of things about it. But I feel doubtful that my current play style will ever get me to the end or let me see the coolest parts. There isn't much useful at GameFAQs.

Any hints, strategies, item tricks, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I am doing Fay's Puzzles to learn more about the gameplay and collect some bonus items, but most of them are pretty useless.

I got very discouraged today when a Katana and Walrus Shield (both of which I had upgraded through multiple adventures) were lost. It seems like this game provides interesting, albeit slow, ways of building up your character and increasing your chances, but then it throws some random death squad to take it all away. I'm fighting the sense that my skill/strategy don't matter, because I will not be able to keep playing if the whole game is just arbitrary.

To give an idea of my progress so far: I've rescued the girl whose parents own the storage center; I have opened the restaurant and gotten sick there; Gaibara is still working on my reward jar; Pekiji is somewhat useful but still asks for rice balls and rarely attacks the enemy; I have been blinded by the girl in the forest. The farthest I've been is to the last town, where I could have proceeded past the "point of no return" but thought it wiser to turn back and keep building up.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Shiren the Wanderer DS Thread of Helping Jonny Not Give Up
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 10:08:39 PM »
I am not familiar with the Shiren franchise in specific, does the game allow you to create save points?

As I have been playing through Nethack, which does not allow you to save aside from a quicksave, I have died innumerable times in innumerable ways. I think the thing that helps me keep playing Nethack (mostly on my iPod Touch) is the humor of most of my deaths. Sometimes my lifespan will only be ten minutes over four floors of the dungeon when I am killed by a scroll that I read or a dangerous room I walked into. Nethack sounds like it is fundamentally different in that there is no escape to a town and once you die it is simply game over.

It sounds like Shiren can be frustrating, with constant status ailments and the like. Since I don't know what kinds of items are available, I can't really give specific advice. What I can say is that the most important thing to always have is some sort of warp item. Whether it warps you to the stairs or to town, warp items can get you out of some hairy situations. Also, autoheal items are a lifesaver. Being healed enough to mount an escape is often the difference between life and death. Whenever I play dungeon crawlers, I am sure to bring both of these kinds of items.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:28:22 PM »
From my experience so far, there are no warping items in Shiren DS. There is an auto-revive item, but I've never gotten one. However, you can quick-save... that's a necessary feature in a portable game. I don't see anyway to use the quick-save for game strategy, though. It just lets you suspend and resume later. I'm pretty sure the save point is deleted as soon as you load it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:23:50 AM »
Judging from what I have heared about this game in regards to losing your items after yor die, this does not sound like my kind of game. Losing items that you have worked hard to obtain seems like it would be a pain to regain them again.  :-\
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:28:51 AM »
From my experience so far, there are no warping items in Shiren DS. There is an auto-revive item, but I've never gotten one. However, you can quick-save... that's a necessary feature in a portable game. I don't see anyway to use the quick-save for game strategy, though. It just lets you suspend and resume later. I'm pretty sure the save point is deleted as soon as you load it.

You can't really use a quick save for strategy, true. If you are getting frustrated with it, perhaps this kind of game just doesn't suit you. There isn't really a switch you can flip to enjoy something that doesn't grab you, and it sounds like you are playing correctly. I would suggest other titles that would probably hook you on mystery dungeon a bit more effectively like Chocobo's mystery dungeon for the Wii, but the likelihood of you not enjoying that is high as well.

You may want to try out the Etrian Odyssey games, if I recall correctly Etrian Odyssey 2 was Jeremy Parish's first dungeon crawler of that sort. They too are for the DS, and are roguelikes at heart. There are several key differences: one can create hard saves back at town and at certain points in the dungeon, the labyrinths are not randomized so you can tell that thought was put into their design, battles are random for the most part and play out like a more thoughtful dragon quest, and when you die you can keep your map data. I find this personally more gratifying than a strict roguelike, each battle is a challenge when you enter a new floor and your death can come at any point but not through unpredictable means. Sure, you may chance upon a powerful monster while you are weak, but you probably should have healed up or gone back to town at some point. 
Bless you, my child.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 02:00:01 AM »
Etrian Odyssey 2 sounds like a thoughtful refinement of the Shiren formula. It's been recommended before, so I will have to keep it in mind.

Do people really play roguelikes and not get frustrated by them? I am fine with challenging games, but in something like Mega Man 10, I know what I did wrong on every death and can immediately try again. Shiren is very unpredictable, and when you fail, you could permanently lose things you worked hard for. On top of that, you may have to play for hours to get back in a similar situation. As I said before, I think there are a lot of neat ideas and admirable things about this game, but it seems inherently and maybe even deliberately frustrating.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:26:24 AM »
To be honest I prefer to dabble in them (the pure roguelikes) without the intent of actually winning since I mostly enjoy seeing how far I can get over the course of a weekend. Most roguelikes are free on the PC, so you can play them to see what interesting ideas were incorporated and move on if you feel it is too unfair. It is rare that I would actually pay for one, and when I do I would rather spend money on a safer bet like Etrian Odyssey. I am getting Strange Journey this month, but from what I have heard it is even more lax than the EO series. Etrian Odyssey 2 presents challenge in a fair way, and while I could make the argument that roguelikes are fair if you are willing to die a few times to learn the system I realize that it can sound ludicrous to expect a player to butt their head against a wall and not get sore.

I am gonna pick up a copy of Shiren tomorrow since gamestop seems to have it for $6.99. Time to see what all the hubub is about  ;)
Bless you, my child.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 02:29:24 AM »
What a coincidence. I picked up Shiren DS not too long ago on a whim when I saw it in the bargain bin. It's one of the best games I've played in a long while. The only other rougelike I played before was a bit of Nethack, but that one was a bit too soulcrushingly difficult for me.

Anyway, I've been able to beat the main dungeon in Shiren a few times (yes, you've only been playing the first and easiest dungeon in the game) so here's some advice:

1. Keeping an item in a storehouse will make that same type of item identified on future playthroughs. I like to keep one of each magic staff and jars in storehouses for this reason. No more guesswork.

2. Don't be too stingy with using magic staves. They can get you out of a lot of jams. The staff of sloth is particularly useful, since most enemies (almost all) hit by it will only act every other turn. This allows you to hit them and retreat over and over and they'll never get a hit off you.

3. Enemies with annoying status/item altering abilities should be taken out at a distance whenever possible. Or use the staff of sloth.

4. Do not under any circumstances fight a Gaze in close combat (again, unless you've slowed it down with the staff of sloth). These things can screw you over more than any other enemy in the game. It might be better to use a staff of paralysis and just ignore them.

5. Don't bother bringing swords and shields you've souped up over time with you unless you're very confident you're able to beat the game. It's just a waste otherwise. The game is certainly beatable without souped up equipment, anyway.

6. Grinding for exp isn't really necessary, either. Gaining roughly one level per floor should be enough.

7. Keep on playing. You'll eventually encounter two other characters that will be recuitable party members. Again, not necessary to beat the game, but they make the first half much easier. Don't bother feeding Pekeji. Each time you recruit him, he'll be able to go longer without eating until eventually he wont need food at all.

8. You might want to try rescuing someone on WiFi. You'll be sent back to the beginning after you rescue them with no money and exp, but you get to keep any items you got on the way.

9. If all else fails, you can consult this wiki:

http://shiren.wetpaint.com/

I don't know how much of the game you want to "spoil", but just about anything you'd want to know is in there.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »
Awesome info. Thanks, Urkel!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »
Well I bought the game this morning because Jonny got me interested in it (active time babble wasn't enough to sell me on Shiren) and the 7 dollar price tag didn't hurt.

I got about an hour and twenty minutes in (about a third of the floors or so I hear) and hit my first monster house. Of course, I freaked out and forgot that I had the room clearing scroll with me and died trying to fend off all of the bomb monsters and spells hitting me... burned through all of my dragon's breath too. When I died I lost a souped up Master sword so that was a bummer, but I only feel the need to play more now! I really like Shiren so far, for what its worth. Maybe it's a disease?
Bless you, my child.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 12:48:14 AM »
Awesome info. Thanks, Urkel!

They just released a wii version of the series not long ago. Would you be interested in checking it out after experiencing the DS title? I want to atleast try the wii game, but I do not want something that I will probably walk away from and never return to play due to difficulty.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
No, I don't think the Wii version is different enough for me to buy both of them. But it sounds like the Wii version is more forgiving overall (especially if you use "Easy" mode).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 06:47:04 PM »
No, I don't think the Wii version is different enough for me to buy both of them. But it sounds like the Wii version is more forgiving overall (especially if you use "Easy" mode).

I remember one of the guys from the news cast, i believe it was Zach, did a review for the wii game.

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
Hey Jonny, major kudos for keeping an open mind about this game despite James's protestations.  It's a somewhat intimidating genre.  I think you might be less frustrated if you don't worry too much about trying to complete the game -- concentrate on the journey, and think of it as a sort of "score attack" to see how far you can get.  You are expected to die a lot -- that's the only way you can advance the sidequests with the various NPCs.  It's part of the game, so when it happens, think about why it did and what you might be able to do to prevent a similar situation the next itime.  Sure, sometimes you just end up in a ridiculous situation where you're totally screwed, but in most cases a little ingenuity and clever item use will take you a long way.

A few quick tips:
1. Explore levels as thoroughly as is practical to maximize your loot collection.  Just because you've found the exit doesn't mean you should take it.  Most of the monsters in the first half of the game aren't too dangerous physically (just watch out for rice changers if you have any items you don't want to lose), so take that time to hoard stuff and build up some experience.  Once you get past Mountaintop Town, there are some outdoor areas with tricky stat-draining monsters where you'll probably want to proceed the next floor as soon as you can (Scrolls of Light are very useful for this), but in general it's advantageous to explore as much of each level as you think you can get away with.

2. Don't forget about moving diagonally (hold R).  Taking the shortest path can significantly reduce the amount of turns it takes to get where you're going, so you won't get as hungry.  Additionally, moving diagonally is useful when engaging monsters that fire projectiles.  They won't fire unless you're directly in their line of sight (or in the case of some of the bigger tanks, if they can hit you with splash damage), and if you're not, they'll use their turn to move to try to line up with you.  This often means you can move in a zigzag pattern to close the distance until you're close enough to melee them.

3. If a monster kills another monster (or NPC), the surviving monster will "level up" into a stronger form.  You probably want to avoid letting this happen unless you're confident you can kill the stronger form (in which case it's a good way to get experience).  Most monsters will not attack each other, but if you're in the line of sight of a projectile-shooting monster, it will fire in your direction regardless of any other monsters that might be in the way... so watch out for that.

4. If a bunch of monsters are ganging up on you in a room, try to lead them into a hallway so you can take them on one at a time.  (An exception to this is monsters with projectiles, for the reason above.)

5. When using jars of holding, try to distribute your most valued stuff among multiple jars in case one of them gets broken or stolen.

6. All the unidentified staves that you can find in the main quest are safe to test just by using them on a monster and seeing what happens (when you've figured out what it is, you can then use the "name" menu option to identify it for yourself for future use).  You can try this with jars too, but it's a bit harder to narrow it down (and don't insert anything that you're not OK with losing).

7. Don't feel obligated to kill every monster you encounter.  Sometimes it's better just to avoid them or incapacitate them and make your escape.

8. You can press A+B to rest and regenerate some HP; just keep an eye on the map in case of approaching monsters.  It's best to do this in a secluded area, and if you can think of a way to block the entrance to the room, that's even better...

9. Don't try to steal from a shop unless you really know what you're doing (or don't mind dying).

10. Big riceballs restore your fullness to 100%, so the most efficient way to use them is to refrain from eating them until you're at 0%.  Also, if you're hungry but you know there's a town with an inn coming up, consider waiting until you get there instead of eating.  Being 0% full doesn't kill you; it just starts to slowly drain your HP.

11. Whenever an NPC asks you to do something, it's in your best interest to humor them if you can.  It will pay off in the long run (even if it's detrimental at the time).

12. You can get a free big riceball from the guy in the restaurant at Canyon Hamlet.  This resets every time you attempt one of Fay's puzzles, so it's easy to stock up on food before you set out.

13. If you paralyze a monster, it stays paralyzed and essentially becomes an immovable object until it gets attacked.  If you put a monster to sleep, it stays asleep for several turns, even if you attack it -- but when it wakes up, it will be faster.

14. Most monsters move at the same speed as you.  If you're losing a fight, you can always try running away; as long as the monster stays behind you, it won't be able to hit you with a melee attack, so you might be able to regenerate a little bit of HP while you're on the run.  (Of course, you still run the risk of running into other monsters.)

14. When you're about to enter a room, try attacking the first square inside it to reveal any traps that might be there.  That way you won't get caught with your pants down if there are a bunch of monsters in there.

15. In dark areas, if you can't see a monster, it can't see you, so if you can put at least one space between yourself and it, it will probably forget about you.

16. In the first half of the game, if you don't think you're ready to proceed to the next level, you do have the option of going back to the previous one instead.  I agree with greybrick that grinding is kind of a waste of time, but you can also take your valuable stuff back to an earlier storehouse if you don't think you can make it to the next one.  Once you've got far enough, there will be a guy with a wagon in Canyon Hamlet who can take you straight from there to Bamboo Village.

Hopefully some of that will help.

This game is primarily about learning how different things interact, and figuring out ways that you can use those rules of interaction to your advantage.  This is much more important than just improving your stats, and that's why the deaths can sometimes seem unfair; the monsters and traps are designed so that just doing a lot of grinding and brute-forcing your way through won't cut it.  If you're accustomed to traditional RPGs, this can take some getting used to, but I find that once you get the hang of it, it's a lot more rewarding.

(Think of it like playing Magic... you don't know what your opponent will do or which cards you'll draw, so all you can do is try to use the cards you have in the most effective combinations.  (Sorry for the cheesy simile, but I do think they have some things in common.))

If you're having too much trouble with Shiren, I agree that Chocobo's Dungeon for Wii is a much gentler introduction to roguelike mechanics (but at the cost of including more grinding and less interesting items and monsters).  That said... it's possible you just don't like them and never will, but I commend you for at least giving it a shot.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:45:58 PM by shammack »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:58:46 PM »
For some reason I am interested in this game and might buy it to check out what it is really like in terms of game play. Jon, based on what you gave experienced so, would you recommend this game to any one? I am a Final Fantasy fan.

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »
For some reason I am interested in this game and might buy it to check out what it is really like in terms of game play. Jon, based on what you gave experienced so, would you recommend this game to any one? I am a Final Fantasy fan.

I know you were asking Jonny, but if you're interested in this type of game and are a Final Fantasy fan, I really recommend checking out Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon for Wii.  It has the same basic mechanics as Shiren, but much more forgiving penalties for death, and more of an emphasis on building up your character.  It uses a lot of the standard Final Fantasy tropes (but reworked slightly to fit the different type of gameplay), so it should be pretty easy to get a handle on things.

I wrote a more detailed review of it here if you're interested.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »
shammack, all of your advice is excellent. I already learned most of that stuff through playing or going through Fay's Puzzles, but it is nonetheless very good strategy.

I think anyone watching this thread will be very pleased with my discussion of Shiren on the upcoming RFN.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 07:12:16 PM »
shammack, all of your advice is excellent. I already learned most of that stuff through playing or going through Fay's Puzzles, but it is nonetheless very good strategy.

I think anyone watching this thread will be very pleased with my discussion of Shiren on the upcoming RFN.

Ona scale of one to ten, what would you give this game?

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »

Ona scale of one to ten, what would you give this game?

I just put plenty of hours into it this week (I know, you were asking jonny) and I would give it a 9. I started out as a fan of only turn based rpgs, later branching out into western games. The game has been challenging but never once have I felt cheated. Sure, I have had a little experience with games like this before, but Shiren has really stood out to me.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 07:45:16 PM »
Did this game come out on the Genesis, or the SNES? Maybe they could release it for virtual console?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 02:47:44 AM »
The series actually started on SNES, but it was Japan-only for a while. I think Chunsoft's first roguelike to be translated for the West was the PSone version of Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
I will probably pick up the wii version of the series once I get a little money. Thanks to this topic, I am interested in the series, but I may have never thought about the game before reading this forum.

Also, thank you for mentioning Sonic Chronicles on you 187 episode of RFN. The game does not get as much attention as it deserves. I am the guy who you mentioned on the show about the email. I have played the game five times in row and absolutely love the game.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »
Do people really play roguelikes and not get frustrated by them? I am fine with challenging games, but in something like Mega Man 10, I know what I did wrong on every death and can immediately try again. Shiren is very unpredictable, and when you fail, you could permanently lose things you worked hard for. On top of that, you may have to play for hours to get back in a similar situation. As I said before, I think there are a lot of neat ideas and admirable things about this game, but it seems inherently and maybe even deliberately frustrating.

They don't tend to frustrate me, but it probably depends on your expectations going in.  I grew up playing high-score challenges where games usually had no end.  Gamers simply played for as long as possible, knowing that death would catch up with them eventually.

For me, Rogue-likes are a throwback to that classic design: high-score challenge RPGs, where story matters much less than the adventures your character can have in a relatively short time before dying.  It's not a question of *if* the character will die, but what experiences he/she can have before that happens and what stories you are left with when death finally claims that character.

Starting over isn't frustrating for me because I view the next game as the beginning of a new adventure with different levels to explore, (potentially) better loot to equip, and new interactions to discover.  But I can certainly understand how people grow attached to their characters and don't like losing them... especially when death can seem random and harsh.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 11:15:56 AM »
Also, thank you for mentioning Sonic Chronicles on you 187 episode of RFN. The game does not get as much attention as it deserves. I am the guy who you mentioned on the show about the email. I have played the game five times in row and absolutely love the game.

I don't want to off-topic this too much, but I freaking hate that game. I understand why some people would enjoy it, but I really didn't enjoy my time with it. It's like someone crossed SMRPG with Elite Beat Agents and failed at replicating either well.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"