Author Topic: REVIEWS: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 10343 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
REVIEWS: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:54:16 AM »
Everything old is new again in this magnificent Mario title.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=20392

When the first New Super Mario Bros. game was released for the DS in 2006, I was disenchanted by the whole experience. It was a solid title, but I thought that it was over-hyped because it was the first 2D Mario title in years. But as the years went by, I finally saw its appeal. The game wasn't about breaking new ground in design; it was about reliving an era where games were all about fun. In that aspect, the game was fantastic. It was this simple idea that made New Super Mario Bros.  a multi-million seller worldwide. Now, Nintendo hopes to strike lightning again with New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and they were able to surpass my expectations and more.    

As is tradition with Mario games, Peach has been kidnapped yet again, but what's really cool this time is that she gets kidnapped by Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Kids, who are making their first appearance in a Mario game since 2003's Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the Game Boy Advance. Right from the start, you realize that this game is brimming with nostalgic value. However, there is more to New Super Mario Bros. Wii than just nostalgia. The game is extremely successful at creating a superb platforming experience that you won't find anywhere else.    

If you have played Mario games before, then this shouldn't be a foreign concept. The goal is to reach the end of the level. But the path to the finish line is filled with obstacles, enemies, and other paths to discover. Ever since Super Mario Bros. was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System, the formula has seen improvements and additions that made the experience familiar, but with enough elements to keep it both challenging and fresh. New Super Mario Bros. Wii pays tribute to these games by borrowing many of the elements seen in past games, such as the red coin challenge from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, the ability to store items from Super Mario Bros. 3, being able to pick up items and enemies from Super Mario Bros. 2, and even the classic Mario Bros. Arcade game sees representation in the form of POW blocks.    

You would think that having all of these elements in one game would create a "jack of all trades, master of none" title, but the game is so well designed that all of these elements fit well. Despite being borrowed from past titles, it manages to create a game that always feels fresh even after long hours of play. Returning from the DS game are the star coins. Each level has three of them to collect, with some in plain sight and others that are very well hidden.  They are then used to unlock hint videos where you learn to perform new tricks, find hidden passageways, and get lots of extra lives.    

New Super Mario Bros. Wii amazes in its level design. One of the complaints I had with New Super Mario Bros. on the DS was that the levels felt too straightforward and simple. This has been remedied in the Wii version, and I can easily say that these are some of the best designed levels I have ever seen in a Mario game. Even if the worlds feel a tad cliché, the levels are very imaginative. It's this dedication to the level design that raises the level of challenge in the game. It is not impossible to beat, and once you figure out how to save your items and gain more lives, it shouldn't be a problem. There are moments in which your patience will be tested, and you will feel glad that the difficulty wasn't sacrificed for the sake of accessibility while you curse the designers for their unrelenting obstacles.    

The levels can be accessed through a world map with different paths to take. Each map has different Toad houses that are presented in a similar manner to Super Mario Bros. 3. They give players the opportunity to earn new items by playing a matching mini-game, earn more lives by shooting themselves out of a cannon and popping balloons, and earn rare items. In addition to Toad houses, enemies also roam the maps. If you bump into them, a single-screen battle startsI as you try to collect balloons and rescue a Toad. Needless to say, there is a lot to do in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Ghost houses return from Super Mario World as they litter the worlds. Finally, there are a fortress level and a castle level in each world, where you can face off against that level's Koopa Kid.    

As if that wasn't enough, sometimes a Toad will scream for help on the level-select screen. When you go the level he is in, the Toad will be hidden in one of the level's question-mark blocks. When you find him, you must carry him to the end of the level. This becomes a challenge because when you are carrying the Toad you can't attack or use your items. You must drop the Toad in order to attack enemies. On top of that, the little guy is vulnerable to enemy attacks. Two hits and he is defeated, forcing the player to restart the level. This is both very challenging and fun, but it can get frustrating when the Toad is on one of the harder levels. It may feel like padding in order to extend the game's life, but when you partake in this mission you will see the levels through a whole new set of eyes. What was once an easy level to conquer suddenly becomes harder due to both your vulnerability and your duty to protect the Toad.    

Items have always been crucial in an enjoyable Mario experience, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii is definitely no exception. The iconic Mario items make an appearance, such as the Super Mushroom, the Starman and the Fire Flower. The title also adds two new items; the Penguin Suit and the Propeller Mushroom. The Penguin Suit, reminiscent of the Frog Suit in Super Mario Bros. 3, allows the characters to fire snow balls, freezing their enemies and allowing players to pick them up, and swim quickly in water. The Propeller Mushroom makes Mario take flight when you shake the Wii Remote. The Ice Flower from Super Mario Galaxy makes an appearance, performing the same actions as the Penguin Suit sans the swimming.    

Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009:

The biggest addition to New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the opportunity to play with up to three other players. When three other players join they will get to play as Luigi or one of two Toads (yellow and blue). There's no need to create a separate file for multiplayer gaming as you can easily add or drop players from the main menu. All the previous levels can be replayed in multiplayer and you can continue the rest of the adventure as well. This process is incredibly smooth and easy. No one should have issues trying to get a four-player adventure started.    

Multiplayer easily adds a lot of value to an already phenomenal game. It also helps that the designers implemented multiplayer in a clever manner, never truly ruining the overall game. If a player stays behind, instead of locking the screen, the camera pans back for a wider view of the level, allowing players to catch up and keep moving without feeling the need to go back and get a player. The only downside to multiplayer is that it can get pretty chaotic when you have four players running around, jumping into each other, but this is something that can be remedied by the players themselves. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is flexible enough that multiplayer can be played as both a cooperative and competitive affair. It's up to the players to decide how to play the game.    

In addition to the adventure mode, there are two multiplayer modes. Free-For-All has the player competing for points without worrying about rules. Coin Battle is a competitive mode where players try to collect the most coins possible while they play through the level.    

Another important implementation to the Mario franchise is Super Guide, a somewhat controversial addition to games in general. What Super Guide does is show you how to beat a level if you are having trouble. After dying eight times on a level in single-player, a green block will appear at the starting point. When you hit it, Super Guide is activated and an AI-controlled Luigi will complete the level for you. Those fearing that this will ruin the game's challenge shouldn't fear. Like I already said, this only happens if you die eight times. While New Super Mario Bros. Wii is more challenging than its DS iteration, it is not impossible to beat. This is one of those games where levels can be beaten with a lot of practice. It's more than likely that players will realize how to beat a level before they even get to see the Super Guide block.    

Unfortunately, despite some excellence in overall game design, there are some small flaws. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is played with the Wii Remote on its side, simulating playing Mario games on the Nintendo Entertainment System. The traditional controls work fantastically, with the level of ease you would expect in a Mario title. Unfortunately, Nintendo added some motion control. On some platforms you can tilt the Wii Remote in order to raise or lower it and reach new levels. In order to pick up an item, enemy, or another player, you must stand beside it, press the 1 button and shake the remote. Mario also does a spin jump when you shake the Wii Remote, which is how you use the Propeller Mushroom. With two other buttons on the Wii Remote itself, Nintendo could have mapped a couple of those actions on them. The shaking feels repetitive and a tad disruptive. The game also offers the Wii Remote and Nunchuk as an alternative setup.    

Despite this, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a must own for anyone who enjoys classic gaming. Cynics may say that the game isn't truly new due to how it borrows elements from past Mario games, creating very little new content of its own. But this just reassures gamers that the Mario franchise has seen some incredible innovations, innovations that still impress after all these years. All of these classic assets along with the great multiplayer make New Super Mario Bros. Wii a triumph in game design and fun. Whatever you do, don't miss out on this amazing game.    

Pros:

• Fantastic level design
  •  
  • A great deal of challenge
  •  
  • Fun new Mario items along with classic items
  •  
  • Amazing lastability
  •  
  • Flexible, well-implemented multiplayer mode
  •  
  • Classic Mario elements that still work

•        Cons:

• Repetitive motion control
  •  
  • Multiplayer can get chaotic

•                Graphics:  9.0
           New Super Mario Bros. Wii is not meant to be a title that pushes graphical boundaries. This, however, doesn't mean that the game is lazy in its presentation. The colors you would expect in a Mario game are ever present, creating a visual treat that feels both new and nostalgic. Mario and friends are well modeled, and the levels feature tiny but memorable details. Even with so much activity on-screen, the game never slows down.

Sound:  8.5
           The music isn't as memorable as in past Mario titles, but they work in that they bring a classic Mario charm that complements the platforming very well. It features many remixes of classic Mario songs as well as new tracks. Mario and Luigi are just as fun as ever thanks to Charles Martinet's vocals, while the raspy, high-pitched Toads delight and annoy. The classic sound effects also make a much appreciated appearance.

Control:  9.5
           New Super Mario Bros. Wii features both classic and motion control mixed into one control scheme. Playing with the Wii Remote on its side feels natural and is the closest thing to playing with an actual NES controller. The motion control, however, is repetitive and disrupts the experience a bit.

Gameplay: 10.0
           This game is a showcase of Nintendo's excellence in game development. Everything from the multiplayer modes to the additional missions are perfectly integrated into the classic Mario formula, creating a game that pays tribute to classic Mario games while doing new tricks. The levels are masterfully designed to keep the experience fresh and thrilling.

Lastability: 10.0
           Even when you beat all of the levels across all of the game's worlds, you still have a lot to do. The star coins will create enough incentive to go back and play through the levels, but the design of the levels along with the replay value of the multiplayer mode will make sure players come back to the game time and time again, successfully replicating the appeal of Mario games past.

Final: 10.0
           New Super Mario Bros. Wii could have easily been a rehash to cash in on the Mario franchise's nostalgic appeal and the success of the DS title, but it has a lot of polish that should please fans new and old. The gameplay may not fully innovate, but it does show that excellent game design will stand the test of time and entertain for a long while. Whether you play solo or with friends and family, there's a lot of fun to be had with Mario and friends.      

Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • Score: 125
      • View Profile
    Re: REVIEWS: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:23:32 PM »
    Quite a controversial review. I can't say I agree with the score but it's definitely a great game, I think I like it better than Super Mario Galaxy.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 17
      • View Profile
      • When Pigs Fly Returns
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
    I like it more than Galaxy too, although it's difficult to compare the two games. I think a better comparison is NSMBDS, which is far inferior to this Wii game. Nice review, Pedro!
    This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:59:39 PM »
    Thanks Zach!

I agree that it would be unfair to compare Galaxy to NSMB Wii since both games may star Mario and they are platformers, but one's focused more on collecting and exploring, while the other is about avoiding obstacles and reaching the finish line.

As for the score, I admit that I thought a lot about it before I submitted my review for approval. But the game truly surprised me in how polished it is. Like I already claimed, I was completely turned off by New Super Mario Bros. DS because I felt it was too simple, uncreative and didn't take risks. The Wii does that and more.

I was ready to tear this game a new one since, despite my excitement for it, I was expecting the DS version with multiplayer added. When I finally played it my doubts were cleared and I was stunned as the creativity and fun the game presented.

Note that the review is meant to present MY thoughts, and people will feel differently about it.
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »
    I wasn't really comparing this to Super Mario Galaxy. I think I just like the 2D Mario games better.

I know that the overall score is not an average, but I still always find it a tad strange when a review gives a game a 10/10 even though the text points out a few small flaws.

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:51:03 PM »
    Why can't Nintendo just support the classic controller and be done with it?  Every review, even this 10, points out the waggle irritation.  This bugs me so much!  Yes, I see the score, and I appreciate the idea of a 10.

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:03:56 PM »
    Honestly, this game really makes me wish Nintendo had just stuck to 2D for the Mario series all along.  I like Galaxy and all, but I like this SO MUCH MORE.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »
    Nintendo will never listen to you. They will never listen to us. Hits the brakes before you hit that brick wall.
    Why can't Nintendo just support the classic controller and be done with it?  Every review, even this 10, points out the waggle irritation.  This bugs me so much!  Yes, I see the score, and I appreciate the idea of a 10.
    Who knows.
    Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • Score: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
    Can't say I agree with that score at all. It's a good game though. It's growing on me as I play more with people I want to play with!
    ~David~
    3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
    Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 10:34:56 PM »

One thing I should mention is that while I did say the shaking as a potential issue for gamers (due to all the comments on the other review as well as general consensus) it didn't ruin my overall experience. Here's how I see it: the game barely requires you to use the Wii Remote shake. The only  elements that heavily use it are the propeller mushroom, the spin jump and to pick up enemies. Out of the three, picking up enemies is the most commonly seen, and even then you don't use it as often as you should.

The beauty of NSMB Wii is that the game is very flexible when it comes to beating levels. You don't have to beat it exactly as they tell you to. You are free to experiment with tricks and power ups. Hell, you can beat the level without even beating an enemy if you wanted to.

The experience is truly defined by the player, and its why I love the game so much.

Can't say I agree with that score at all. It's a good game though. It's growing on me as I play more with people I want to play with!

That's what happened to me to. At first, I thought it was fun and nothing else. But when I played it with my nephew and niece, and then played it by myself the game grew on me in a grand manner. I saw some details in gameplay that blew me away, and the levels, I felt, finally gained ingenuity and challenge.

Like I said, I came with low expectations due to the DS version being so ordinary, and the Wii version met them and more.

I won't force you to agree with my final score since like I said, the experience is defined by the player.
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »
    One reason why I started using the Nunchuk control style is because I find it easier to flick it with one hand than when holding it in two. I can't help but wonder if people who have a problem with the motion are making a very exaggerated gesture...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 11:34:26 PM »
    They probably don't play Mario Kart with the Winner Wheel.
    :: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
    PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • Score: 379
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »
    One reason why I started using the Nunchuk control style is because I find it easier to flick it with one hand than when holding it in two. I can't help but wonder if people who have a problem with the motion are making a very exaggerated gesture...

For some reason, my roommate was letting go of the D-pad with his left hand, and making somewhere between a quarter to an eighth of a rotation of a circle to do the shakes, both for jumping and for picking things up.  I do a simple wrist-flick with both my wrists, tilting the controller forward from the perspective of how I hold it, and have no problem, what-so-ever doing so.

When he realized it was that simple, pretty much all of his complaints drifted away.  It's a very simple motion, and I was surprised he didn't realize.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 11:58:37 AM »
    Lotsa assumed GAMERS don't realize.
    :: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
    PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 11:59:28 AM »
    I just quickly move both of my arms downwards. Probably because my first contact with this kind of motion comes from Wario Land Shake Dimension and Disaster Day of Crisis (heart massage rescue).

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
    • Score: 74
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »
    Good review I agree with it completely.

Shame on all who only want 2D Mario, with Galaxy we get the best of both dimensions.
    Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »
    Galaxy works better than previous 3D Marios but I think it's not as good in 2D as the genuine 2D ones.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »
    I like 2D Mario and 3D Mario for different reasons so I want them both. It's just a shame that 3D Mario has overshadowed 2D Mario for the past decade; I hope it isn't another ten years before we see another 2D Mario game on a console.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
    • Score: 74
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »
    2D Marios do indeed need to make at least once a generation I think.

How likely can we expect an awesome console multiplayer co-op Yoshi's Island? 2D or 3D I don't care but I want it!

Now that they really did well with co-op in the 2D title, I bet Miyamoto is still working on 3D co-op for Mario games. Though it is way harder, you can bet that they won't give up on it after doing so well with NSMBW.

I remember arguments from maybe even years back, how we discussed if a game was a platformer and co-op at the same time, the stage would have to be layed out completely different for 2 or more people. But after this 2D outing and how they dealt with issues such as dying, catching up and being able to do EVERYTHING with 1 or more players, I say it is very possible to just have one layout.
    « Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 04:42:28 PM by Caterkiller »
    Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
    I think that Super Mario Galaxy could maybe be doable with 2 players, though not more than that. There are a lot of areas where the camera is above or beside Mario so I think it could fit 2 players on the screen even if it needed to be zoomed out a bit more. The players would just have to be careful to stay together, but as NSMBWii shows, that's manageable. If Super Mario Galaxy 2 were designed with 2 players in mind then it could work even better.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 31337
      • View Profile
      • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
    « Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 05:57:15 PM »
    It would be interesting if the two players were chained together by some sort of gravity.  Oh wait, that sounds familiar.
    Aaron Kaluszka
    Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • Score: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 02:53:58 AM »
    I just picked this game up and man, is it good. I played through the first world by myself and a friend stopped by so we started from scratch and played through to the second world. I have been waiting for two player (simultaneous) Mario for quite some time and it was great to finally indulge in some. With this and Spirit Tracks, I am quite content with Nintendo for the time being.
    Bless you, my child.
    Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep