Author Topic: Miyamoto Unsure About Rival Motion Controllers  (Read 11125 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Miyamoto Unsure About Rival Motion Controllers
« on: November 23, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
The Nintendo legend weighs in on Project Natal and the PlayStation 3 Motion Controller.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20391

In a recent interview with Official Nintendo Magazine UK, Shigeru Miyamoto responded to questions about rival gaming console's upcoming motion controllers by saying "Well, I should say that it could be taken as a compliment if others are following suit, by saying Nintendo was right in choosing a certain direction. But if you ask me if that is going to be good for the entire business, I really don't know."    

Miyamoto's comments are directed towards motion controllers announced by Microsoft and Sony for their current gaming consoles, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.  Both companies made a splash at E3 2009 in June by unveiling their motion controllers.  Project Natal, the Xbox 360 motion controller is not actually a controller at all, but rather a movement-tracking camera.  The PS3 motion controller, codenamed Sphere, is similar to the Wii Remote in that it is a wand separate from the main controller.   When asked if Nintendo would lose its uniqueness when the competition launched their motion controllers, Miyamoto responded "If everyone else is going to do exactly the same thing, unfortunately in this entertainment business that means less uniqueness, and uniqueness is what Nintendo has tried to realize.  When you say that one element of our uniqueness might have been lost, you don't really have to be concerned about that, because Nintendo always tries to find something new. I hope you are looking forward to our challenge to discover this new uniqueness!"    

Project Natal and the Sony PS3 Motion Controller are both scheduled for release in 2010.  The full interview with Miyamoto is available in the 50th issue of Official Nintendo Magazine.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Miyamoto: Rival Motion Controllers Bad For Industry
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:51:56 PM »
Where did he say it was a bad thing for the industry? It's of course bad for Nintendo...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »
Say it loud, Fanboyamoto!!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »
sensationalist reporting at NWR?? 'BOUT TIME!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »
Samus caught topless at Zebes beach! Pictures on page 3!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
WHERE'S PAGE THREE!

I REPEAT, WHERE IS PAGE THREE!?

I KEEP CLICKING THE FORWARD BUTTON ON MY BROWSER AND NOTHING!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:00:42 PM »
ONM changed their article.  Their tagline originally said that Miyamoto said that it wasn't good for the business; now it says that he wasn't sure if it was good for business.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:01:32 PM »
Tough crowd!

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:17 PM »
I hope you are looking forward to our challenge to discover this new uniqueness!"

Yes!  I am ready for some new Nintendo magic.  Waggle is not unique anymore!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »
Waggle is still unique.

Those new competitor controllers are so advanced that the designers won't utilize waggle.

Waggle stays with Nintendo, the winning team.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »
Given thats its almost 2010, and we really haven't seen much of the new motion controllers, I'm thinking MS and Sony aren't going to make much of a push here (especially considering Sony doesn't even have a name yet!).  I expect these projects to go down a similar road Tony Hawk Ride has gone.  Until the next consoles are released I'm sure Nintendo will remain in the lead with MS and Sony lucky to find the wake.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
thats jumping the gun d_average, Sony will probably have 30 games at e3 that have motion controll, 20 will be shovelware, and 9 will be descent, 1 will be awesome

microsoft will have like 5 games no one cares about
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »
ONM changed their article.  Their tagline originally said that Miyamoto said that it wasn't good for the business; now it says that he wasn't sure if it was good for business.

So you admit to copy/pasting the article without reading it first?

where have our standards gone? it's like were posting in the forums or something....

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
Coming soon to the PS3, Metal Gear Solid 4: Wagglestance.

Waggling the Ice Cream cone moves the camera around during cutscenes. You get more gameplay that way.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 10:18:11 PM »

So you admit to posting without reading my comment first?  They changed their article content after our article went live.  Our article reflects the original article content.  We didn't copy/paste, but it's an original source, so I don't even understand how your question relates to the problem.  Also, I didn't write the article.  Stop being a troll.
Aaron Kaluszka

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »
Mr. ET is clearly an 'imp.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »

So you admit to posting without reading my comment first?  They changed their article content after our article went live.  Our article reflects the original article content.  We didn't copy/paste, but it's an original source, so I don't even understand how your question relates to the problem.  Also, I didn't write the article.  Stop being a troll.

I read the comment and I was kinda joking. But since you want to be all serious about it

What you said right there suggest that only the line under the title was read before the article was copy/pasted to rush it to post. It does not imply that the article itself, as in the content/text of the interview was changed. So maybe you should check your comment before you comment on the comment commenting on your comment ;)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 04:15:21 AM »
The game industry doesn't want to deal with things that could disrupt their formulas. Expect some minigames and some shoehorning and mostly ignoring the MS and Sony motion systems.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 07:47:31 AM »
It's good for the industry, because it will push Nintendo to further differentiate itself from the new competition.

This headline is misleading though, as Miyamoto doesn't actually say it's "bad"... just that he doesn't know if it's good. Those are quite different things.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 08:47:22 AM »
BnM, we get "all serious about it" because all you do is troll the hell out of our news coverage day in and day out.

We post things later than other sites, you troll us.  We post things quickly that change under us, you "jokingly" troll us for inaccuracy.  It just gets old.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:14:10 AM by NWR_Lindy »
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »
It's good for the industry, because it will push Nintendo to further differentiate itself from the new competition.

It's good for gaming but is it good for the industry? The industry wants standardized inputs. They want linear improvements that are easy to advertise. They don't want new controls that mess up their established formulas.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, the video game industry as interpreted through the novel 1984.

CREATIVITY IS OVERDONE
STANDARDIZATION IS UNIQUE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Miyamoto Unsure About Rival Motion Controllers
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »
Going back to the original topic, and the accusation of sensationalism, I will accept the guilt for that one.  I've revised the article title to more accurately reflect the quote from the source.  My mistake was in misinterpreting the quote, not in attempting to put words in Mr. Miyamoto's mouth.  You have my apologies, and I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »
And that's...one to grow on.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »
Given thats its almost 2010, and we really haven't seen much of the new motion controllers, I'm thinking MS and Sony aren't going to make much of a push here (especially considering Sony doesn't even have a name yet!).  I expect these projects to go down a similar road Tony Hawk Ride has gone.  Until the next consoles are released I'm sure Nintendo will remain in the lead with MS and Sony lucky to find the wake.

I think the motion controllers essentially ARE the next consoles from MS and Sony.  If Sony released a PS4 at this point wouldn't it just recreate the issue they had with the PS3 where it was too expensive?  The PS3 is just now finally at a price point people consider acceptable.

I'm not impressed with motion control.  I find it inprecise and frustrating to use.  90% of the time it's used merely as a replacement for buttons.  And this is with Nintendo, perhaps the greatest videogame developer in the world, calling the shots.  If what we have now is the best Nintendo can do then how could I expect Sony or MS to make anything worthwhile?

I suspect it will be bad for the industry because of the sheer amount of third party junk we see on the Wii.  Most devs have no idea how to use motion control.  Now spread that over all three consoles.  That sounds like a quality control disaster.  Kind of like the quality control disaster that created the first crash.