Author Topic: Star Fox Zero Delayed to 2016  (Read 5503 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Star Fox Zero Delayed to 2016
« on: September 17, 2015, 05:38:47 PM »

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto confirms the delay of the major Wii U holiday title to early 2016.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41177/star-fox-zero-delayed-to-2016

Star Fox Zero is no longer due out on November 20, 2015 as the marquee Wii U game is being pushed back to Q1 2016 according to Nintendo.

Shigeru Miyamoto made the decision to delay the game last week, as per a statement posted on Facebook. Miyamoto explained that they "have already reached the stage where it would be technically possible to release the title in time," but that Nintendo and Platinum Games want to polish the game so "players will be able to more smoothly grasp the new style of play."

He elaborated: "Although we felt that the development had been progressing well, we now believe that we will need a little more time to work on areas such as the unprecedented discovery that we want players to experience in the game by using two screens, and further polishing the level designs and perfecting the tone of the cut scenes."

In the statement, Miyamoto stressed that the delay won't be a long one and that the new anticipated release date for Star Fox Zero is Q1 2016.

With the delay, Nintendo's holiday 2015 Wii U lineup in North America now just contains Yoshi's Woolly World (October 16), Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (November 13), Xenoblade Chronicles X (December 4), Devil's Third (December 11), and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (Holiday) in addition to a few eShop games such as Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Star Fox Zero Delayed to 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 12:41:29 AM »
Hopefully they can make it look more Platinum-y than it looked in E3.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 12:43:23 AM »
Ah dang, that is phhht of a holiday period now. They must have accepted in their souls that nothing can help the WiiU. But sheeet, this version of Star Fox was already a pretty wan replacement for Zelda U. Theoretically Xenoblade should be a heavy hitter, but that game seems to have leaked most of its buzz after the Japanese launch.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 12:50:39 AM »
PUSH XENOBLADE X

As for Star Fox Zero, I'm happy about the delay. The game's E3 2015 showing showed a game that looked undercooked for some. Now, I think the Star Fox game a lot of people want would take 2+ years, while Zero looks half that. Hopefully this extra time will address the complaints from the more negative side of Zero's mixed E3 2015 reception.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:55:12 AM »
Star Fox Zero wasn't going to make or break Nintendo's holiday lineup. A nice game to have and nothing more. I'll always support game delays. If a company is willing to sacrifice profits for customer satisfaction, I can't rightly fault it for that. At the same time, stop showing games so early. Star Fox was quasi-announced at E3 2014. "It's a demo, kind of, maybe..." In hindsight, this greatly weakens Nintendo's 2015 E3 Digital Event.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
Christmas is ruined.

It's not ruined, I just wanted to beat Ian to the punch

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 01:23:47 AM »
They must have realized how stupid the control scheme was.

In other news, the Wii U is dead.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 01:32:33 AM »
Welp, thank God Battlefront is coming out this Christmas, how else would I get my dogfighting Space fights?

THIS BLOWS!

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 01:38:01 AM »
HEY NINTENDO!

Maybe give us a Zelda Wii U trailer to apologize for this bullshitm

Thanks

Nile

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 01:52:56 AM »
Well, the game looked like **** and it would've released in the same window as Black Ops 3, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Just Cause 3. It would've been a bloodbath.  I would have delayed it, too.

We've had enough terrible Star Fox games, and it's not like Nintendo's even a serious competitor to the other consoles anymore. Delaying this game and making it the first good Star Fox game in nearly 2 decades is the right move.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 02:01:06 AM »
Considering Nintendo's pretty much conceded the entire Holiday 2015 console season to Sony & Microsoft now, I wonder if management is feeling any differently about dropping the Wii U's price. Otherwise, I could see the November NPDs setting some new All Time Lows for them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Neifirst

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 02:10:35 AM »
I don't mind the delay, but I hope NoA will at least increase the number of VC releases so there's something to get while waiting for Xenoblade Chronicles X. 

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 02:11:09 AM »
PUSH XENOBLADE X

That was my idea from day 1. Get ready for Animal Crossing Amiibo Cult Party as the big Black Friday title! Fitting...

I don't mind the delay, but I hope NoA will at least increase the number of VC releases so there's something to get while waiting for Xenoblade Chronicles X. 

Hey, maybe they'll release Zero Miss-hahahahahahahhahahahahahaahhhhhaahahhhahhhahhahahahahahahadshaljbegsjabenr;jot;d
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 03:06:36 AM »
I would like to see Nintendo put all their marketing bandwidth behind  Xenoblade X for the holiday, give it the chance it deserves.

I think delaying Star Fox is the right decision although I question if they can really make any significant changes in such a short space of time, I think this is more to do with bugs then it is the design of the game.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 03:48:58 AM »
As others have said, the best bet is to release Xenoblade X as their big November game now and give it a bigger marketing push.  Open world games are extremely popular in the West, and even though Xenoblade's anime look is going to limit it's appeal to the wider audience, it's still an open world game that allows you to use giant battle robots to fight huge enemies which is pretty unique for this genre in America.  If NOA could really market that aspect of the game, it could be pretty appealing to some.

I think delaying Star Fox is the right decision although I question if they can really make any significant changes in such a short space of time, I think this is more to do with bugs then it is the design of the game.

Well we haven't really seen any new footage since E3 so we don't know what kind of progress the dev team has been making.  For all we know because of the negative reactions at E3, it went through some pretty big changes shortly after to improve quality and they just need a few more months to finish them.  Or knowing Nintendo, they know they need more time to improve the quality so they're saying it'll be a Q1 release right now so people won't get as mad because they only think they need to wait a few more months when in reality Nintendo knows the game probably won't be ready until Q2 and wait until next year to announce that delay. :-\
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 04:04:58 AM »
Considering Nintendo's pretty much conceded the entire Holiday 2015 console season to Sony & Microsoft now, I wonder if management is feeling any differently about dropping the Wii U's price. Otherwise, I could see the November NPDs setting some new All Time Lows for them.

If they could drop the price, I think they would have done so already. Maybe the sad reality is that the current price is close to breaking even for Nintendo. Which... is an insane thought now that I think about it.

Also, I don't think Star Fox Zero was ever that big a draw. If the premise is that the game being delayed means that Nintendo conceded, then Nintendo conceded long before.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 06:40:51 AM »
For dropping the price to work it'd have to increase sales to the point of making up the difference between what they'd be making and what they'd have been making at the old price, and if anything I'd think the lack of a big holiday title actually reduces the chances of that. Nintendo knows the Wii U is a lost cause, so they're going to ride out the rest of its life in the way that they think makes them the most money, even if that means a lower user base.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 07:11:36 AM »
They could make it up by selling a bunch of Amiibo.

also #loveisover #pleaseunderstand and all that.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 07:18:17 AM »
They were going to do that anyway.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 07:58:55 AM »
Doesn't feel surprising. The window to finish development and polish Star Fox seemed really short if they were going to hit 2015.  Give it more time and make it a better product, and I think most fans will end up happier in the long run - unfortunately 2015 is ending not with a bang, but a whimper.

It's disappointing. So if the fact that Fatal Frame is going digital only in North America. But
I bought the console for Xenoblade. As long as that comes out this year, I'm willing to forgive almost anything.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 08:50:46 AM »
Ouch.

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 10:10:48 AM »
I'm hoping they take some of the extra time and give us a 4 player mode. we played almost as much 4 Player star Fox 64 as we did Goldeneye.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 11:08:02 AM »
I have no problem with this in a vacuum, but I hope they don't make a habit out of committing to release dates/time frames for big titles and then reneging on them. Development isn't always smooth sailing and sometimes things come up, but the original release dates for the two big delays this year both seemed ambitious at the time.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 11:29:38 AM »
They delayed it to add the 4-player online co-op mode I suggested.

#hypertrollGET
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 12:24:24 PM »
There's probably gonna be a Nintendo Direct announcing the holiday release of the 2D Metroid that Nintendo has been saving for an emergency.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.