Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 250127 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #475 on: September 26, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »
To be fair, I'm not impressed by just about anything anymore. I think smart phones have peaked at this point. Everything from now on will just be gimmicks like force touch.

It's not just you, we're to the point were something has to be new. 6 months old is 8 months behind the curve. Lets just hope game consoles don't follow suit.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 27, 2015, 12:11:48 AM »
LOOK AT HOW THIN AND SHINY OUR NEW PHONE IS!

Sadly to make it so thin and shiny we had to cut out a few minor features that nobody cares about like waterproofing and expandable memory, we also had to make the battery smaller but you can always get it re- ok I guess you can't do that now...

*murmers of dissatisfaction and frustration heard in the crowd*

BUT LOOK AT HOW THIN AND SHINY WE MADE IT!!!!

*everyone in crowd rushes off to buy six of them*

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 27, 2015, 10:44:23 AM »
I'm undecided on upgrading. I only really care about the extra RAM and to a lesser extent, the larger screen size. I cracked my screen and used one of my Apple Care replacements in May. I apparently tripped the moisture sensor on my original 5S so I got an entirely different 5S. I can hold on to it for another year even if the trade-in value drops significantly if you don't trade within a month or two of the new model.

To complicate things further, my two-year contract is up in October and I got an email from Verizon stating that signing a new two-year contract nets me $300 trade-in value for my 5S toward a new phone, not a subsidized phone. That's stupid so no thanks. I'm planning on switching to Verizon's 3GB no contract plan which saves me around $20 before taking the cost of the phone into account. I can buy the new iPhone outright or I can sign up for Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program and get a new phone every year. I don't need a new phone every year, but it's the same price. I don't like opening credit cards though.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 27, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »
Anyone notice how the iCloud notes functionality won't work until El Capitan comes out?
Why even have it as an option if the OS isn't even out yet!?
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 27, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »
Just stop buying iPhones. The price has gotten extremely ridiculous...same with Galaxy phones.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 27, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Nah, I'm going to keep buying iPhones because I like the ecosystem and I'm too lazy to learn a new one. iOS suits my needs, and I'll continue using until it doesn't.

I don't particularly care about the new stuff any of these companies introduce, at least for the first generation they're available. I rarely use Siri, use Waze instead of Apple Maps, and still haven't used Touch ID. I heard it's super-fast on the 6S so I'll consider trying it on the next iPhone I own. 3D Touch doesn't excite me right now. Once app developers start adding that functionality to their apps, maybe there will be some merit to 3D Touch. Until then, ehh, it's just there and I'd probably only bring up the alt menus accidentally.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 27, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »
The ecosystem is the main reason I want to switch and wished I grabbed the 6+ this past may. I want an ecosystem where everything just works and it seems that Google and Microsoft just aren't interested in proper Desktop, Mobile, and Tablet support.

We should have another upgrade on my family's plan next September so I'll def upgrade to the 7.

As for innovation Isnt 3D touch just a variant of the force sltouch stuff on Macbooks.

I do like stuff like Siri and Google Now but more for the mini Personal assistant and location textual items and not the voice features.

IPad Pro is such a weird half step product and seems at odds with its own marketing and niche.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #482 on: September 27, 2015, 08:18:20 PM »
The main thing provoking me to upgrade is the fact that the refurbished iPhone I have has some issues.  The new iPhones don't excite me much.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 27, 2015, 09:27:23 PM »
Yeah, for me it's just the fact that it's been two years since I got one and I feel like it's time to upgrade, not because of anything specific in the new one. Then again, when I bought my current 5S there wasn't anything specific about it that really excited me either. I never really used Touch ID or any of that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 27, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »
Touch ID is fantastic. It doesn't work too well when the finger is wet though. It's more than fast enough on a 5s so I don't know what others are on about.

Siri gets used for basic stuff like asking for the time when waking up or setting timers or asking for the weather. Using it to set up appointments is a little too far for it though as there are too many little details that can go wrong most of the time. But iOS 9 Siri is an improvement on 8 as it picks up on mistakes better instead of executing everything wholesale mistakes and all.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 27, 2015, 10:52:24 PM »
It works fine, I just don't use it. I don't keep my phone locked, just a few specific apps, so I don't have much use for it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 27, 2015, 11:20:38 PM »
Touch ID is fantastic. It doesn't work too well when the finger is wet though. It's more than fast enough on a 5s so I don't know what others are on about.
You're probably referring to me in a weird, passive aggressive way though I didn't say it wasn't fast enough. I said I haven't tried it so I have no idea one way or another. I recently watched a 6S review lauding Touch ID's speed which reminded me it exists. That said, I may finally try it.

Anyway, I tried 3D Touch at the Apple Store today. I don't really see myself using that much. Also, apparently, my two-year contract was up this month, not next so I switched to the 3GB no contract plan today. The 64GB Space Gray models are all sold out around me so that gives me some time to decide if I want to upgrade this year. I'm leaning toward upgrading to the 6S, and buying it outright. I think it's a good model to upgrade to since Apple finally bumped up the RAM and it doesn't do that often. The screen sizes seem set as well. If I hold onto any iPhone for an extra year, 6S makes more sense than the 5S.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 28, 2015, 01:05:15 AM »
Does anyone want to speculate what the next new phone will look like..

At some point soon, someone is going to make this iphone or the latest samsung look like prehistoric garbage. And I'm wondering what you guys think that might be. I have my own ideas, but I'd like to hear yours first.

As for the iphone 6s, there is no reason why a phone should be that expensive unless you can use it as a work station. It's also buttery smooth and thin, so dropping it is almost guaranteed unless you get a case, which is ironic considering the reason for making it thin in the first place.

As for the interface, there's only so far you can go with touch on a glass surface. Until they're able to make things feel rough or smooth or feel like it's bulging or dimpled, basically allowing you to operate the phone while not looking at it, it's not going to matter how you operate a phone while looking at it. It's all just tiny tweaks. And until they have a conference where their showing someone buying clothes through their phone and actually feeling the fabric first, everything will still be a small improvement in UI.

Pressure sensitivity is a novel idea, but simply having it on the screen pretty much just makes it a third button. Just another way to 'click'. If they actually put it to use on say...the entire phone, like I could squeeze it to silence an incoming phone call or simply letting the phone know exactly how I'm holding it and where my fingers are, that's a unique source of real time information that could be used for a host of ideas, including a more accurate tilt sensor, using the sides as shoulder buttons for games, triggering a panic button by squeezing hard, and knowing if you're left or right hand on the fly. Maybe Apple, in true Apple fashion, will slowly roll out improvements. Consumers and loyalists don't need much to buy a new phone after all, but I still think it's a wasted opportunity to 'wow' the industry.

The gif images are cool and pointless. It's cool that it's automatic, yet how can you share it. Unless it's being sent to another iphone, no one is going to be able to trigger the animation. Still I like the idea of recording video and photos simultaneously, and switching from either one on the fly. Hopefully someone cracks it and allows you to record more than a second, since the average gif is 5x longer than that.

The iPad pro is the fucking stupidest thing I've ever seen...unless they give to elementary students. That's the only way it would be useful. The real iPad pro should be a desk/workstation, where you can draft projects on a giant touchable screen. If you've ever seen Black Mirror, they have an episode where a chick is working at a tilted desk, drawing on it with a variety of tools to digitally draft illustrations for a children's book. That's the iPad pro. Otherwise, the other iPad's are still extremely useless in a way that owner's actively have to make excuses to use it. Especially now that their price is so high that getting a Macbook Air, still the best laptop ever, would be the wiser choice.

The apple TV was easily the best part of the conference. They finally changed that fucking remote, which we all hated, yet you'd still want a keyboard in some cases. It's great that their bringing games to the system and even wiser that they're allowing third parties to bring controllers to it. That's bloody brilliant. I remember talking about how Nintendo needed a system that was lighting fast and played games right away. Apple TV is pretty much that system. Give it one more upgrade, making it as powerful as say a ps3 or wiiU and it could spell trouble for the games industry. Especially because you can bring any controller you want to it.

Overall a C-. An A would be revealing an nano-sized iphone, that fits on your keychain and is generally indestructible/waterproof, and sends a signal to a 'shell' phone that is little more than a screen and hardware inputs/outputs and can be very cheaply replaced.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:07:19 AM by Hypotheliciously »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 28, 2015, 03:23:35 AM »
Just stop buying iPhones. The price has gotten extremely ridiculous...same with Galaxy phones.

Bingo. Each year the price of the flagship Galaxy devices and iPhones continue to creep upwards.

6S 16gb: £539.
6 16gb: £459.
5S 16gb: £379.

These constant shifting upwards of prices basically means i'll be buying a Motorola or a Nexus.

COOL NEW FEATURE! *adds £50 to the price*

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 28, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »

Sharp transparent flex igzo screen shaped like a soda can...and I'm not even joking.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 29, 2015, 04:45:52 AM »

At some point soon, someone is going to make this iphone or the latest samsung look like prehistoric garbage.
I'd argue right now that blackberry of all companies *dumps 5 gallons of ice water on head to ensure this is actually happening* is dangerously close to that.

Quote from:  Ars Technia
Android OEMs have been in a race to the bottom, cutting costs everywhere they can and axing features like SD card slots, hardware keyboards, camera buttons, and everything else. Blackberry obviously isn't falling in with the current Android OEM groupthink, and that makes the Priv one of the more exciting devices to come along in some time. We're excited about a Blackberry device. What year is it?

Also apparently that keyboard is in some way also able to function as a capacitive trackpad type thing, which apparently was a well loved feature by the 6 or so people who bought the Blackberry 10 phone that had that same feature.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:50:11 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #491 on: September 29, 2015, 07:16:51 AM »
If that runs stock Android or something approximating it... I might buy it.

(As it is, leaning OnePlus Two or Moto X).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 29, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »

At some point soon, someone is going to make this iphone or the latest samsung look like prehistoric garbage.
I'd argue right now that blackberry of all companies *dumps 5 gallons of ice water on head to ensure this is actually happening* is dangerously close to that.

Quote from:  Ars Technia
Android OEMs have been in a race to the bottom, cutting costs everywhere they can and axing features like SD card slots, hardware keyboards, camera buttons, and everything else. Blackberry obviously isn't falling in with the current Android OEM groupthink, and that makes the Priv one of the more exciting devices to come along in some time. We're excited about a Blackberry device. What year is it?

Also apparently that keyboard is in some way also able to function as a capacitive trackpad type thing, which apparently was a well loved feature by the 6 or so people who bought the Blackberry 10 phone that had that same feature.

I'm looking at that phone on face value and it's exactly the opposite of what I was talking about.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 29, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »
That BlackBerry phone looks like a nice desgin circa 2007. No one gives a **** about physcial keyboards anymore sadley.

Also I wouldnt call removing SD cards a race to bottom when only flagship devices are getting rid of them and its mostly just to get phones thinner and do you can subscribe to apple, Google, and Microsoft's various music and cloud storage devices.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #494 on: September 29, 2015, 05:57:38 PM »
I'm also a TouchID fan.  Having my work email on my phone requires me to have a complex password, so not having to type it in was a big draw for me.  Also, more apps are using it which I really enjoy.  Especially when I just want to do something quickly.  I feel more in and out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: September 29, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »
Window Phones can use a physical keyboard.  The initial batch had a few that did.  Surprised that not one kept it as a business phone.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 30, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »
I installed OS X 10.11 El Capitan and so far so good, although I had to disable the new System Integrity Protection stuff until a couple of my main apps update. It's supposed to be mostly an under the hood improvement, a Snow Leopard kind of release, and it does feel somewhat snappier so far, although that might be a bit of a placebo.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 30, 2015, 06:32:30 PM »
There are business Windows Phones. The managers at my work place have them (HTC One M8) as their company-issued phones.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 12, 2015, 09:22:40 PM »
I finally tracked down an iPhone 6S Plus. I had to drive down to Deleware to get it, but not paying sales tax is always a bonus. I bought the phone outright which apparently, doesn't happen often because the Best Buy associate was shocked when I told her (and she offered Verizon's installment plan twice even though she doesn't get commission, as far as I know) then her coworkers were shocked when she told them. I hit a snag with my credit card. Shopping for such expensive electronics in another state set off all kinds of red flags so I ended up having to call the number on the back of my card. I could have just used my Best Buy card, but I wanted the reward points and I didn't really have any other plans today. My card got locked because Best Buy didn't do the purchase and trade-in on the same transaction. It had something to do with deactivating the 5S and activating the 6S or something. She sold me the 6S Plus then traded the 5S which was put on a gift card. Then, Best Buy (as four other people got involved) "returned" the 6S only to sell it back to me minus the trade-in credit. My credit card company spazzed at all the unorthodox transactions. It got sorted out in the end. By the way, I got $165 in trade-in credit. I'm sure I could have gotten more if I wasn't lazy and looked around a bit.

Anyway, I like the phone and right now I'm thinking of keeping it for three years even though that will likely change once the 7S is announced. Since I'm off contract, I won't have to wait next time. Also, I'm still getting used to the size, but it is much easier to type on. I've noticed that I don't make as many mistakes on the larger screen. It's just a little unweildy so far.

Semi-related: Apple Maps got me home. I usually use Waze, but I opted not to have Best Buy transfer my stuff because I originally just wanted to get out of there and I backed up my phone last night.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 14, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
An iOS 9 jailbreak was just unexpecteely released. It's going to be a little bit longer before I can afford to buy a 6S, but hopefully not so long that it comes with a new version of the OS that won't work with that.

J.P. Corbran