Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 252932 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #300 on: September 07, 2014, 11:45:03 PM »
Since they're coming out with a watch next year, the iPhone 6 basically has to have NFC. Every retailer (or nearly every retailer) already has NFC though, since credit cards have used it for years. I don't give a poop anyway, I'll never own an iPhone, but I'm just shocked they haven't ever added widgets or anything to the home screen. If those screens and videos are real though, then HTC must be flattered that Apple is still copying their design.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »
I really don't see the appeal of home screen widgets. I've had my various iPhones jailbroken for most of the time I've had them, so I have that possibility open to me, but I've never cared enough to try. It's quick and easy to get to that information and functionality without cluttering up the home screen.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
Other than small tweaks, innovating the phone is foolish. We pretty much know what it needs to be; a decently sized screen, fast processor/graphics, lots of ram, and a very good camera. Waterproofing, stronger screens, NFC, fingerprint scanner and the like are extras that people will want but that's really the realm of innovation we need. There doesn't need to be an upheaval.

Apple would never do this, but I really hope they would. They could grab both the high-end tablet market and the low-end tablet market if they followed in ASUS's lead and made a tablet-shell. Their iPads could still reign supreme with designers and retailers country-wide, while those that simply want a bigger screen can pay for it as well. The iPhone 6 is surely going to be a computational beast, so making a tablet-shell where it uses that processor speed in a bigger form would be incredibly popular.

That is the future. As much as Apple would love to keep them separate, it is the trend and they have to face it at some point. Will it also replace low-end laptops? Probably. It's pretty much inevitable unless the way we work changes drastically.

Apple has some rough years ahead if they don't seize the opportunity to make it theirs. Their iPad sales are already declining as cheaper models that do exactly the same thing garner more support and attention. Their phones are being beaten to every innovate punch by phone manufacturers who also sell them cheaper. The only pillar that is not in trouble are their laptops and that's because of the Air; i.e. the best all-around laptop ever made. And sure, you can point to the stock market as proof they are doing alright, but the stock-market is short-sighted.

So start the CPU-in-your-pocket trend. Everyone's trying their best to do it first, but it really hasn't taken off yet. Remember why your a business in the first place. It was not about money after all.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:23:11 AM by Hypotheliciously »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
I honestly am still sort of miffed by how we have not gotten a lot of MacBook Air level of laptops.  Surface 3 with a keyboard cover is probably the closes.  The Air can take a lot of abuse because of its lack of moving parts and strong case.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 08, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
clearly the best way to compete in today's market is to sue the competition

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »
The endless back and forth of lawsuits isn't going to stop until/unless we see significant patent reform. As it is, these companies kind of have to do this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 08, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »
Coming from Android Widgets really don't serve much of a purpose since the notification bar has become so advanced on the various platforms. I still like Live Tiles from Windows Phone since they're the app icon itself, but widgets just suck up more battery power and don't have a cohesive look so they end up being a hot mess.

I hope the apple and Microsoft smartwatches  take note from Android wear and ignore being circular or even rectangle. (though I guess the problem with Android wear isn't the size dimensions rather than its not its own thing rather being an extenstion to Google Now.)
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 08, 2014, 02:54:17 PM »
I honestly am still sort of miffed by how we have not gotten a lot of MacBook Air level of laptops.  Surface 3 with a keyboard cover is probably the closes.  The Air can take a lot of abuse because of its lack of moving parts and strong case.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/apple-macbook-air-2012-vs-asus-zenbook-prime-ux31a-the-rematch

That's from 2 years ago, ASUS makes plenty of Macbook Air-style laptops, and they typically are always more powerful and cheaper than the Macbook Air.

I replaced the DC jack in one for someone a couple weeks ago, it's a really nice laptop.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 08, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
Lenvoo makes some really good Thinkpads in the X1 line.
The Zenbook series by Asus is really good.
The Dell XPS 13.
The S7 from Acer.

None of these products are really advertised since Apple owns the high end market and no one seems interested in a high end laptop from anyone else without bloatware.

Its going to be a interesting time in tech, with the apple event tomorrow, Windows 9 on the 30th, the Blackberry Passport and the next big Android/nexus updates next month.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 08, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »
the apple event tomorrow, Windows 9 on the 30th, the Blackberry Passport and the next big Android/nexus updates next month.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.

Seriously, Blackberry? Did we all fall into a time portal back to 2003 and I didn't notice?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2014, 04:17:37 PM »
Looking at those wearables, they have completely missed the point. Sure, their nice to look at but wearing something isn't about using or receiving information faster from your phone, it's about becoming human again. I know how counterproductive that sounds. "Using more technology to become more human?" But that's the reality. That's what will sell.

There are first adopters who are all about the innovation of wearables. People that wear Pebbles come to mind. But how many people are going to buy a bracelet or watch that does nothing new? An extension of your phone isn't a selling point. People are too connected as it is. Having your phone on your wrist will only exacerbate the problem.

So what should they add to make it sell? What should it do that your phone can't? Apple has health in mind and I think that's a brilliant start. Having your health checked everyday by simply putting on your watch or bracelet is a good idea for you and your doctor. Having data that you can show your doctor or even have an app alert you when it detects an irregularity is actually useful. It could potentially save your life. And saving your life will sell.

Another idea, and this maybe a little creepy, but how about recording at a moments notice? Maybe that's an app issue and not hardware, but I have yet to see anything related to voice other than control. Even creepier but cooler, how about having it always listen into your conversations and parce summaries of what you and your friend(s) were talking about? Like a personal stenographer. I would use this all the time but only if it was extremely casual, hence why only a wearable could do this. Google or whomever could then take this information and guess what you may need next. For instance, if I'm talking to someone and we agree to meet Tuesday for lunch, it would ask if I would like to add that to my calendar. It could remember **** you forgot to remember yourself. But even cooler though, is if I'm able to search through past conversations. That would be incredible. There are so many professionals that would love this.

So Health and Retaining information....what else could there be?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »
I look forward to the Windows 9 event as there is no way they didn't jack that **** up. Laughs will be have.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
Why do you say that, all the rumors are sounding really good improving on 8 and adding new features

-No mixed mash OS what Windows looks like depends on what device you use. If your on a tablet yu get the Start Screen, if your on a traditional PC you get the start menu
-Windows Store Applications are now windowed but can still go full screen if you wish.
-Charms are gone (boooo), for some new sort of Navigation systemm,
-Notification center as well as Cortana Integration
-shared intergration between phone, TV, and desktop like apple showed at this past WWDC
-Eco-system wide update emcompassing windows, windows phone, xbox one, and probably the wearable.

All sounds pretty cool.

I wonder if the wearable will come in two flavor's one ore expensive and classy one emulating a more elegant time piece, and another one cheaper but being more styled like a G-shock and is paired with the 6c.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 09, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »
It's Microsoft. There has been nothing in the last couple of years that they haven't touched and turned into ****.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2014, 01:13:52 AM »
How much time do you think they'll devote to Kinect for Windows?

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
It's Microsoft. There has been nothing in the last couple of years that they haven't touched and turned into ****.

I wouldn't say that at all. I mean I've liked most of their product slate it just seems that being a combination of Logistical issues, late to the market, and being ahead at times.

For example Metro is pretty damn awesome but upon release was too different from the social norm, but now near flat with minimal focus on shadows and Gradients. But a lot of people tend to hate that trend while I love it

For all the horse **** about the Xbox One being always online, and how every one jumped to the whole PS$ no DRM movement, no one bats an eye that Destiny is always online, likewise no one seems to be batting an eye at the slew of always online games being announced or single player games with an always online portion a la watchdogs.

I have to say I think I realize the problem with the Moto X and Android Wear after the first tech shine faded away. I don't really want a smartwatch no matter what it can do, I'd much rather have a fitness band like a fitbit or one like the apple mock-up I posted above.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Metro was and is still, straight up wrong. It is obnoxious, dysfunctional and not fit for purpose. It was a sad attempt to ape existing mobile OS interfaces and shoving them where they don't belong. If Apple tried the same thing, I would have told them to go **** themselves with it. Apple experimented with Metro type interface back in OS 6 with things like simple launcher, but found nobody used it, it got in the way, a waste of resources and was superfluous.

The ongoing Xbone debacle is more than the DRM issue. It's weaker, more expensive, incomplete, ill-conceived, poorly engineered, effectively gameless, shockingly bad "Marketing" which was a declaration of war on consumers, a waste of cash for everybody involved. It's so bad, it's haemorrhaging former exclusives.

Destiny is so over-hyped it is going to collapse on itself as the shallow mess it is. Its pedigree was never that strong. Destiny? Who give a ****, not me. Watch Dogs almost bombed online or no online, the underlying game just wasn't there. Destiny is another Watch dog. Like with more and more releases, more hype than game.

I wouldn't say that at all. I mean I've liked most of their product slate it just seems that being a combination of Logistical issues, late to the market, and being ahead at times.
Translated: They fucked up. Repeatedly. As for being "Ahead at times", complete bullshit. You are either on time or you are not assuming whatever the you are doing even works.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
so Metro copied existing mobile interfaces but Android is completely original? Get off your hate train.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »
He didn't say Android is completely original, nor was that even implied. That isn't even a logical line of reasoning. If I say I like chocolate, I'm not also saying I hate vanilla with that statement.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:24:06 AM by Adrock »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
Windows 8 is the most infuriating OS I've dealt with ever. My cousin recently bought a computer with it pre-installed and she wanted my help installing everything she needed. Wow, what a bitch that was. I ended up completely wiping the computer and installing Windows 7.

No one with a computer wants to see an app screen first. I could careless if the computer is touchscreen. NO ONE WANTS TO SEE IT. It's just terrible. As are the gestures. You don't understand how many times I've accidentally beckoned the app screen. Fucking awful.

Why can't they just copy Apple? Their OS can piss me off from time to time, but mostly, it's genius. Especially the touchpad. Speaking of which, why do all MS computers have such a shitty touchpad? It's like made out of a bumpy plastic that has NO traction at all. It's god awful when simply using it to point and even worse when trying any gestures like scrolling. How is this still a problem?

Anyway, I hope MS comes correct with 9.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:35:41 AM by Hypotheliciously »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:48 AM »
Apple computers are on the upper teir of the market. Never really have any problem with my Asus laptop but I mostly use the touchscreen and gestures on the touchpad. 

How could you possibly have trouble installing anything on a OS that is Windows 7 + tablet wankery. Also I'm sure the average user wouldn't mind apps on the home screen. You could give your average user a iPad with a keyboard and that would meet the computing needs of most.

Any who I'm excited for the fact that apple will finally make NFC payments and health items popular meaning even though I'm rocking android I should still benefit.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
Just install Classic Shell, then your Windows 8 is basically a much more secure Windows 7.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »
Apple has successful got the fashion/style crowd to come in during the biggest month for the fashion industry by far.

It has too more than a watch right,  I've been wondering if we might see some new models of beats.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 09, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »
Apparently Anna Wintour is at the event which would be crazy.

Starts in a few minutes.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 09, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/apple-unveils-the-4-7-inch-iphone-6/

"iPhone 6 Plus" is the 4.7" version with...~720p screen. Don't worry, next year's iPhone 6S Plus S" will catch up with last year's mainstream displays.

Sorry, the regular iPhone 6 is 1340 x 730 (or something like that) and the 5.5" iPhone Galaxy Note is 1080p.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:24:01 PM by Brandogg »