Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 250077 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
The cases can break, but not very easily - but they are *incredibly* soft and will scratch, chip, and get bent out of shape very easily.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2013, 07:46:27 AM »
I wasn't going to download iOS 7 since I plan on buying the 5S tomorrow, but I was prompted so whatever. Well, everyone and their mother was trying to get that update so it took forever. I kept trying to install until I passed out then I finally was able to verify the update around 10pm last night.

It's pretty much the same thing with more colors. Since I'm still using a 4S, performance is no different. Control Center is pretty awesome. I think Android has had that for ages, but hey, it's new to me. It's silly that You can change what's on Control Center. I really don't see myself using the fingerprint scanner when I get the 5S. I can finally move Newsstand to my "Useless Apps" folder since I'm not allowed to delete them outright. I did that immediately.

Ultimately, if you're use to iOS, you should be pretty comfortable here which I think was the entire point. I like the flatter icons though really, that doesn't matter as long as this thing does what I want it to do. I'm on NWR at work.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
Just changed a screen on an iPhone 4 running iOS7, it runs pretty badly on those.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »
iOS 7 is currently Stone Cold Stunning my 4S battery. Repeatedly. It's almost two years old so I'm hoping the 5S will be better. Also, I really don't like how Safari goes back a page if I swipe to the left. Sometimes I'm just trying to swipe up/down and I'm doing so slightly diagonally and it goes back a page. I looked for an option to turn that off. No dice.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
Now it has that cool swipe to close an app feature that they stole from Android Palm.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »
That was a great feature to steal. Palm had that right.

Got iOS7 on the iPad. I like it. It's pretty. Getting the 5S this weekend probably, so no point in updating the 4 I have now.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2013, 09:25:59 AM »
I was up at 3 this morning to order my 5S. I don't have an Apple Store locally and am going to be out of town this weekend, so I got mine online. I got the "Space Gray" (Black) model. I also really like iOS 7 so far. It's not a huge difference in UI, but I'm a fan. I have an iPhone 4, but haven't had any real problems with it on there. I've got an open Gazelle order and will be sending it off once my 5S arrives anyway.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
You'd probably get more money at GameStop, and definitely more on Craig's List. Gazelle is pretty terrible with their pricing.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »
Just checked, GameStop gives a lot more money.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
I would have gotten $35 more if I traded my 4S at a Verizon store (per their email offer though I'm sure that's only if the stars aligned), but I went to Best Buy like I did for the 4S ($175 with the charger). It was pretty hassle free. I was third in line. They started taking people in a bit before 10am. They only had Verizon 16 GB and 32 GB 5S'sesses in space grey in stock which worked out for me but almost no one else in line. That was odd though I lucked out. The dude said they were sold out of all AT&T 5S models which is weird because the store wasn't open yet. Maybe in-store pick up. There's an AT&T store in the same plaza so perhaps that's why Best Buy was shorted. Anyway, the process of purchasing the phone took about half an hour.

As for the phone, it's essentially the same one I had except faster which is exactly what I wanted. I have to redownload all five of my apps. I'll live. I went to the Apple Store to buy the leather case and they said I had to wait in their ridiculous line so I nope'd the hell out of there. I'll try again after work. I should get my Best Skins Ever screen guard in the mail sometime next week. I'm still contemplating AppleCare Plus. I got it for the 4S then never used it once. I suppose it's nice for the peace of mind, but it's $100. Think of all the food I could spend that money on instead.

EDIT: Battery life with LTE on leaves much to be desired.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:09:23 PM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
Once again, and it seems to be this way with all phones now, the Verizon phone is the best option since it's factory unlocked from the start. Same with the Galaxy S 3 and 4, Note 2, LG G2.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
The more I use iOS 7, the more I like some of the subtle tweaks. I absolutely love Control Center. I know it's basically the same thing I've had before with the SBSettings jailbreak tweak, and I'm sure Android has had something like it forever, but it does everything I want it to. Music controls are more easily accessible both in use and on the lock screen. And I just plain like the new look, maybe just because it's been pretty similar for the five years I've used the operating system.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2013, 05:02:37 PM »
Have you updated again to fix the lockscreen bypass? If not (assuming you have a lock code), turn on the screen, swipe up to ring up the control panel, tap the clock then hold down the power button until the "slide to turn off" pops up, hit cancel then quickly double tap the home button. Voila, access to all of your open apps.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
Finally got a chance to play with ios and it fixes all my problems I had with ios6 (mostly visual stuff). While my personal UI/OS of choice is Windows Phone I can still say without doubt that IOS 7 is the best looking user interface on the current market. I still think hardware wise that while I like the 5s the 5c was made more for the Software itself.

Still good time to be a mobile guy even if your in the small fanbase. Nearly every OS has good design and enough apps to satisfty most people. Only Platform I couldn't recommend is Blackberry 10 for a few reasons.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2013, 09:59:34 AM »
Apple just refreshed the iMac line. No Retina Screen. Boo/hiss

I haven't been able to confirm if it comes with OSX Mavericks. That being the case, I feel like that's probably a no go. That would be one of the first things mentioned. Not sure if I'm going to get one now. My MacBook Pro's battery is suffering a bit, but the hardware itself seems fine for now. I just kind of wanted a desktop with a larger screen. I'll likely hold out for a Retina Screen whenever that happens.

EDIT: Apple's website says it comes with Mountain Lion. Weird timing. Mavericks is supposed to be out soon. Maybe they're launching it with MacPro.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:12:23 AM by Adrock »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »
I'm guessing were getting another apple event next month with the ipad refresh and Mac Pro/Mavericks.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »
Historically, Apple has sometimes given a new OS update to people who bought new Macs recently for free. Since recent OS X releases have only been $20-30 I wouldn't be that concerned about it myself.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
No, insanolord, I want all things for free immediately and forever.

I read some rumors about an Apple event next month. It was supposed to be for the iPad and iMac. I suppose the iMac got a relatively quiet refresh since it's technically just a spec bump. I'm sure if there was a redesign or something more significant like a Retina Screen, Apple would have had a whole presentation and a video of Jony Ive talking about how beautiful it is in that British way of his.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »
So are the iPods being ignored this year?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2013, 09:46:05 PM »
They're being ignored by consumers, the new models at least.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
Even though the new models are so damn sexy?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2013, 10:01:26 PM »
Basically everyone in the target market for iPods has a smartphone now, which can do the same things. Not many want two separate devices to carry around.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2013, 10:53:01 PM »
I considered getting an iPod Nano for the gym, but then I realized that I'm much happier keeping $150 so I'll just take my iPhone along and listen to the majesty of song on that.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2013, 11:24:44 PM »
They're being ignored by consumers, the new models at least.
That doesn't stop them from pushing the apple tv...
Or better yet the Mac :D

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »
Basically everyone in the target market for iPods has a smartphone now, which can do the same things. Not many want two separate devices to carry around.

I wouldn't want to carry my smartphone if I was jogging, so the Shuffle or Nano can stay... and as someone who carries around like 90GB of podcasts, the Classic's been a lifesaver.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.