Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 250123 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2013, 11:32:04 PM »
I haven't seen a new MacBook Air in a while, but I know the old ones were pretty gimped on specs (don't know if that matters). You could always go with a Chrome book, but I would recommend a Samsung branded Ultrabook.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2013, 03:42:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure the newer MacBook Airs have better specs than the earlier ones, though with the model he's suggesting they'll be on the low end. I'd also suggest you consider a Chromebook. The battery life and specs wouldn't be as good but the Samsung one is a quarter of the price. I have a Chromebook (different model) and I like it a lot as a secondary machine that's extra-portable.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2013, 04:37:35 AM »
Yeah you really should Stogi. It's just been updated and represents the best value Apple product (the rest of Apple's lineup desperately needs a refresh to be competitive.)

And yeah, Apple's laptops last forever. I've thinking of swapping my DVD drive out for a second HDD to get yet more life out of my seven year old MacBook Pro.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2013, 09:18:08 AM »
RAB, you should definitely do that. I recently swapped out my 5 year old MacBook Pro's optical drive for an SSD which I now boot from and it's like a whole new computer. Everything's quicker and less frustrating. I got a USB DVD drive to go with it, but it's been almost a year and I still haven't taken it out of the box.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »
Can you actually get some work done with a chromebook? I need to do some light photoshop work from time to time and I'd like to be able to have Reason on there to write music. Does chromebook support those applications?

Therr are quite a few heavy duty laptops on sale with way better speca than the Air but don't even come close to the portability. All lenovos except the thinkpad are pretty cheap right now. I could get a 4th gen i7 dual gpus an ssd and hdd as well as 1080p for 789. The only problem is it weighs 6 lbs and last max 4 hrs.

Decisions decisions
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »
Yeah, that kind of thing is way out of a Chromebook's league. It sounds like your first instinct was right, a MacBook Air's the way to go.

J.P. Corbran

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2013, 09:00:39 PM »
RAB, you should definitely do that. I recently swapped out my 5 year old MacBook Pro's optical drive for an SSD which I now boot from and it's like a whole new computer. Everything's quicker and less frustrating. I got a USB DVD drive to go with it, but it's been almost a year and I still haven't taken it out of the box.
:O Should I? I've been told that the SATA2 connection and the (lol) PATA connection that the DVD Drive has is too slow to experience any SSD pleasure from. Maybe I'll... maybe I'll put the SSD in the SATA2 slot and put the existing HDD intot eh DVD slot.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »
Is that something that changed since then? I know I saw a massive improvement when I did it with mine, but maybe the tech changed in the intervening couple of years.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »
So anyone got one of the new 13" Macbook Pro with a Retina display? It's pretty much as light and as small as the Air with the same specs except for the new Haswell processor. I was thinking of waiting for the refresh but right now I could get one as cheap as 1090 bucks. Only a hundred dollars more than the Air for a better screen (and slower, older processor/onboard GPU).

It doesn't last as long as the Air, thanks to Haswell, but it's pretty close.

So what do you guys think?

Offline Gwellin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • It's a Secret to Everybody
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2013, 01:30:59 AM »
So anyone got one of the new 13" Macbook Pro with a Retina display?

I have the 15" Retina, and I love it. I got it early on, and happened to get a display with some pretty bad ghosting. I put up with it until two months ago, just 28 days from the end of my warranty, when I got around to having the display replaced—it was completely covered. That was only an early adopter problem, which was actually Samsung's fault.

Anyway, after having the computer for a year, I still love it. I had the previous MacBook Pro for four years before going Retina, though the optical drive died on that machine.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2013, 03:02:52 AM »
Hmmm....thanks for your vote of confidence.

Well I decided to wait for the Macbook Pro refresh in October.  Something tells me if I still want the Air, it'll be cheaper.

Besides there are still several ultra books being released this fall and I wouls do myself a disservice if I didn't wait for them (although I am still leaning towards mac for several reasons).

Offline Gwellin

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2013, 03:14:21 AM »
A warning though, about the Retina MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. If you foresee the need for more RAM or hard disk space, upgrade it when you order. These models do not have self-upgradable RAM, and the SSDs are custom builds. Some might call it the price of ever slimming computers, but it is a bit of a let down to not have the option to upgrade your computer.

The storage space can be somewhat made up for, via SD card. I supported a nifty KickStarter called, well Nifty, which makes a Micro SD adaptor that sits flush with the body of all Mac SD card slot. Nothing's stopping you from using a standard SD, though it will stick out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2013, 03:56:44 AM »
I'm going to buy a 15" Retina MacBook Pro once it has the option for a 1 TB SSD. Currently the max is something like 740 GB.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »
Some might call it the price of ever slimming computers, but it is a bit of a let down to not have the option to upgrade your computer.

It's the price of buying an overpriced computer that costs hundreds of dollars more than a Windows computer with the same specs (and more games).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
Some might call it the price of ever slimming computers, but it is a bit of a let down to not have the option to upgrade your computer.

It's the price of buying an overpriced computer that costs hundreds of dollars more than a Windows computer with the same specs (and more games).

so you yell at me for bashing apple and wind up accusing me of trolling but then do it yourself...

at least you can't yell at me for posting this

seriously, theres making a comic to bash a product you don't like and there's making a comic to bash a product you don't like with style
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:13:21 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »
I don't have a problem with Apple products. I love my iPad and loved my iPod Touch (before it was stolen). I just think they are seriously ovepriced.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Gwellin

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »

Without then intention of turning this in to a debate, I will give a few counterpoints.
  • I use a Mac primarily because of one web development app (Coda) that I could not find an equivalent on Windows that I liked, for no lack of trying. Many people get Macs for professional or ease of use reasons rather than for the number of games.
  • Thanks to Steam, there are a ton more Mac games than there used to be, that said it is true that there are fewer than on Windows. Good thing it's a simple task to dualboot a Mac in to Windows, though I game on consoles more anyway.
  • To a Windows machine with similar specs, it is indeed more expensive, however the individual parts are often better quality than in those cheap Dell/Samsung/Acer/etc. computers. A Mac often will last longer without hardware failure, though new OS X versions demand more resources and slows older machines.
  • The full version of OS X, with a complete feature set, is included in the cost of the Mac, no Home Edition with a $100+ upgrade to Pro like Windows. All major updates to OS X are $20 (every 1.5-2 years), which is easily put on a thumb drive and works on any number of other Macs under that single cost.
So end of the day, the premium isn't too much higher than a Windows machine, when all factors are considered.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
Microsoft has finally gotten rid of the ridiculous different Windows OS packages though. $99 is still pretty pricey, but at least that's for the full OS now.

Offline Gwellin

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »
Microsoft has finally gotten rid of the ridiculous different Windows OS packages though. $99 is still pretty pricey, but at least that's for the full OS now.
I stand corrected on that point. It's about bloody time they stopped that.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2013, 01:36:38 AM »

so you yell at me for bashing apple and wind up accusing me of trolling but then do it yourself...

at least you can't yell at me for posting this

seriously, theres making a comic to bash a product you don't like and there's making a comic to bash a product you don't like with style

Tim Buckley isn't funny so there's that.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »
I know I said I was all anti Apple before but pro Ipod, well the school loaned me an iPad to use while I am enrolled and I am not anti iOS period. My iPhone has gotten to the point where I just want to throw it in the trash and get a *gasp* Windows Phone. but Apple did this to themselves they just are too gimmicky for their own good.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »
iOS is pretty awful at least when compared to Android. Jailbreak or bust.

OSx however is fantastic.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
I disagree slightly, I hate Android as much, but that could be because my experience is limited to the failed GoogleTV which I regret daily for purchasing.

The school forces, *forces* me to use Mac OS and if not for that I would never touch anything Mac related ever again except to light it on fire.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2013, 09:35:14 PM »
Finally, in order to deal with cheap Chinese iPhone knockoffs, Apple is releasing...their own cheap Chinese iPhone knockoff...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/02/iphone-5c-glimpsed-in-different-colors/#continued

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2013, 10:45:38 PM »
Smart move.

It's for people who want Apple software but can't afford the Apple form.