Author Topic: Calling all Apple fans! (iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.)  (Read 27431 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Calling all Apple fans! (iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.)
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2012, 12:48:41 AM »
What exactly is that "Other" space reserved for?

It's basically cache from doing stuff. That space is also stuff like your Safari browsing history, Notes, email downloaded to your iOS device, etc. You can take care of stuff like your browsing history, but it barely makes a dent in the Other section. From a search online, the only way to erase it (other than jailbreaking) is to basically reset your iOS device (essentially restoring it to the state it was when you bought it). You can put your apps back on of course, but you will lose all that data.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2012, 12:49:43 AM »
Well, I think the battery problems have been alleviated ever since I did a full restore without backing it up, but I still get an issue every once in a while. Is there any way for me to cheat the system to a get a new one? I have about 50 days left on my hardware warranty.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2012, 12:51:24 AM »
Apparently some kind of system process. However, I have the 8GB iTouch (which is actually only around 6.4, ugh) and all that Other space really ticks me off. Plus, even after I reset my iTouch, the battery life is still absolute crap. No way to replace it either, since jailbreaking void the warranty.

Oh well, time to save up for an iTouch 5G?

The iTouch 5G looks like a huge imrovement over the older versions. They finally added a decent camera, LED flash, and a new case design (that unibody aluminum looks very sleek).

I don't care about hacking or jailbreaking. I actually don't mind waiting for official updates from Apple/Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony/whoever, because unlike many people, I have patience (not directing this at anyone here, just people in general).

And I hate how Apple lies about their battery life. The battery dies pretty quickly even when watching a video (podcast). 10 hour battery life my ass.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »
Man tweetbot for mac is $19.99. Goddamn that's alot for a twitter application.

http://tapbots.com/blog/news/tweetbot-mac

Mostly has to do with the new twitter api where an applicaton can only have a certian allotment of tokens.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »
Got to play with Apple's newest tech from the last year. My impressions of each:

iPad 3 - Pretty lame, actually. I've always thought this. I mean, what's the niche of tablets? Word processors? You have laptops for that. Web browsing? Your phone or media device. Movie player? Meh. Not have a 16:9 screen really kills that experience for me. There's nothing on the iPad 3 that I can't do just as well if not better on other devices.

iPod Touch 5G - Pretty damn slick. Putting my 4G and the 5G together, you can tell there's been a huge improvement over the last two years. It has all these little things the 4G should have come with, but didn't, and I really want to upgrade, if only so I can get more than just 8GB of storage. Plus, having Siri is a big plus too.

iPhone 5 - Really digging the screen. Feels natural as the previous iPhone screens, but better in every way. Watching their test movie was much more enjoyable of the iPhone 5. The camera is freaking brilliant.

iPod Nano - Piece of ****. I have no idea why anyone would buy this. Especially without a retina display.

And **** all the Siri haters. I gave it ten different commands, while being in an extremely loud Apple Store in the biggest mall in Washington State and not talking very loudly, and it heard me perfectly and did exactly what I wanted. The hatred and parody of Siri is unwarranted, in my opinion.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2012, 12:59:23 AM »
The point of the iPad (and all tablets) is to be a portable media consumption device. They also play games much better than the small-screened smartphones and iPod Touch's.

Plus, if you look at the Kindle Fire as an example, tablets are great for eBook reading. Browsing the web on a smartphone is rather mundane, simply because the screen is so small.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2012, 07:32:28 AM »
iPod Nano - Piece of ****. I have no idea why anyone would buy this. Especially without a retina display.

You're looking for a retina display on a standalone mp3 player? Quoi le ****?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
It plays pictures and video.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »
It plays pictures and video.

But the main niche for the nano is music and mostly working out which they fucked upwith a touchscreen. Having retina display on such a small screen makes no sense. Its not like your going to be doing any reading or something that takes advantge of the retina like font.

At that point your adding more cost to what is supposed to be a mid-range device when you should just grab a ipod touch or an iphone.

If anything were to be added to the nano than it would have to be icloud/itunes support.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
If you want to work out with an Apple device, use a fucking Shuffle. Hell, the Shuffle already comes with a belt clip.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
If you want to work out with an Apple device, use a fucking Shuffle. Hell, the Shuffle already comes with a belt clip.

The shuffle doesn't have Nike+ intergration or a massive amount of memory. Why do you think the ipod nano band is such a popular item. The shuffle doesn't have bluetooth or FM radio either.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »
iPods are getting more and more pointless. If you don't have a smart phone (or a phone), then sure, go for it. If you do have a smart phone, chances are it can do everything that an iPod can do, has a bigger screen, and probably has removable storage. However, I make a lot of money by fixing broken iPod Touches, so by all means, keep buying them.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
You defeated your own argument. Not everyone can afford an smartphone. the iPod Touch brand is far from pointless.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
If you can afford an iPod Touch, you can afford a smart phone.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »
Do I have to pay a ****-ton amount of money every month for an iPod Touch? No. Considering that whenever I use it, I have WiFi access, I don't need or want one. Even if I did, I can't afford it.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »
You could always buy a phone off contract.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »
Quit crying, JFC.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2012, 12:02:12 AM »
Whatever that means.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2012, 12:24:16 AM »
STOP YELLING AT ME!

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
Looka like apple will be live streaming the ipad mini event on apple TV today.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apple-to-stream-live-video-of-ipad-mini-media-event-to-apple-tv/

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out the Niche for the iPad Mini that isn't filled by the iPod Touch.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
The same market as the nexus 7 and kindle

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »
I like the new iMac, but I have to wait for next year's model since I only budgeted for Wii U and I haven't saved enough points on my credit card to make buying a new computer not a financial burden. Maybe Apple will put a Retina Display on next year's iMac.

If I were to get an iPad, the mini is the one I'd want. It's the right size for when I'm laying in bed watching Louis CK clips on YouTube. $329 is too much for my limited budget, especially for something strictly for recreation. $250 would have been a lot harder to pass up, but I don't expect that to ever be a reality.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »
The mac stuff was cool.

using other 7 inch tablets I find the ipad mini to look weird. It really brings home the whole giant ipod more sothan the regular ipad.   I'm also suprised apple went ahead with the ipad 4 so early.  Seems that they slowly want to get all of their products refreshing at similar times. Makes sense when you want to update ios.

The new imacs are looking good. Did apple also annouce an update tothe cinema displays?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
I have never had any interest in a 7 inch tablet, and that hasn't changed. It lacks the main advantages of both the regular iPad and the iPhone/iPod Touch.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent